All our twist tobacco varieties are manufactured by the same spinning process using dark fired wrapper leaves. The filler is again, predominantly dark fired leaf with the addition of a small percentage of dark air cured Indian leaf. They are therefore strong tobaccos. Black Twist, because the cooking process removes some of the stronger tar and nicotine elements, provides a milder smoke than the brown twist.

Kendal Twist - The traditional strong smoking & chewing tobacco, provides a very strong but remarkable cool smoke. Unsuitable for the beginner. The sweetened and rum flavoured variety add additional interest to the smoke Sliced Black Aromatic - Manufactured with the same tobacco as brown twist, but then put through a further process of cooking under pressure to turn the tobacco black. The cooking process does remove some of the stronger elements from the tobacco so black twist is not as strong as brown twist, but this is only relatively as it is still a very strong smoke. The twist rope is thin cut into small round segments before the addition of the aromatic top flavour Sweet Rum Twist - The main feature of this tobacco is the addition of maple sugars blended with rum to the 'filter' leaf. This is then spun into a rope form before being made into a roll which is cold-pressed overnight We also produce extra sweet Twist and are able to add a wide range of flavours, including black cherry, aniseed, liquorice and apple

Notes: pigtail - thin, bogie - medium, Irish - thick

BrandGawith, Hoggarth & Co.
CutRope
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Full
Strong

2.6
Laserboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laserboy (7)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

Meat. While multiple reviewers have commented on a charred beef-type flavor for this, I think that interpretation is too literal. I suspect that the impression is of the fundamental flavor element "umami." While many tobaccos (notably Virginias and various cased varieties) are known for their sweetness and others (any good burley, e.g.) tickle the bitter part of the flavor palate, few stimulate umami as effectively as this one. The flavor is strong and thoroughly delightful.

I prefer to buy this stuff pre-sliced, although the preparation of the unsliced rope has a certain charm and the rope is easy to carry around. The disks that result from slicing (whether one does it oneself or has it done by the vendor) look like dabs of tar. They are rubbery, an impression that is enhanced by a clear phenolic whiff that they give off that is delightful. If you are a drinker of Islay scotch, that smell alone will set your mouth watering! Packing is easy--just stuff the disks into the pipe, perhaps with a bit of a crunch-and-rub. A bit of drying helps, as is usually the case. Frankly, I've never had the guts to try this in anything but a small-bowled pipe (preferably a churchwarden), but I am still comfortable saying that this is what it is best in. Don't pack too tightly or you're in for impossible relights! It takes the match well and burns slowly and evenly, producing copious smoke.

The flavor is rich, rugged, and pure. And, yes, there's plenty of nicotine, but only a small amount of self-discipline is needed to ensure that this doesn't become overwhelming. I've never gotten even a slight bite from this stuff. While there is a small amount of background sweetness, it is very slight (frankly, I'd like just a wee bit more--I've got a couple of pounds aging and hope that a few years in the jar will augment the sweetness).

This is a regular go-to for me. As an accompaniment to a strong single malt it cannot be beat. Solid, strong, and deeply satisfying, this is what pipe smoking is all about.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Overwhelming None Detected Extra Full Overwhelming

I know that we are not supposed to comment on the reviews of others, so I hope no one takes offense at what I'm about to say. I had to scour the data base to come up with the most ghastly comments ascribed to any tobacco on this site, for certainly this blend deserves no less a description.

The esteemed Mr. Eulenberg, whose educated palate and prose make him one of the wonders of this site, described Dunhill's Royal Yacht as possessing "all the flavourful charm and sweet redolence of slightly gangrenous horse meat". I would suggest that he sample this abomination. By comparison, Royal Yacht would make a worthy wedding gift to a dear friend.

It's a big world, and there is room for all manner of styles and tastes, yet I cannot for a moment imagine anyone enjoying this. It is downright brutal in its assault on the senses, and brings shame to our gentle art.

I'll describe it nonetheless. An oily, pitch black rope, only slightly foul smelling, it brings nothing but nicotine to the table. The world of wine has Thunderbird, and, well, we have this. Shredding the tough leaves into a manageable form is a chore unrewarded with anything closely resembling smoking pleasure. It looks like used cigar butts, and probably tastes about the same.

The anti-smoking zealots should use this as exhibit A.

Surely there must be uses for such a product. Perhaps the Brits used it to force the evacuation of landing crafts at Normandy. I know I'd rather face enemy fire than this. It may also make a good noose.

I have to go and salt my pipe now, as well as every other pipe in my house, and possibly the tri-state area. Someone should salt the earth where they grow this stuff, as well.

Ethan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ethan (34)
Strong None Detected Mild Tolerable to Strong

I don't understand how anybody can smoke this stuff! It tastes like burning trash and only got worse the more i tried to smoke it. If you are looking for a trash fire with lots of spunk than this is for you. I don't even know what to do with this horrid tasting chunk of hell i purchased, other than toss it out.

Purchased From: www.pipesandcigars.com

HumanBoeing Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
HumanBoeing (12)
Very Strong Very Strong Very Full Very Strong

(I swear to God) Last Update: after journeying twenty miles to my nearest serious tobacconist in Newcastle-Under-Lyme I was chatting with the owner about his stock. Black Irish Twist, he told me, is his biggest seller by far - all the local farmers smoke it. I said I was amazed at this and he said, 'Well, once you've smoked this stuff for a while, nothing else comes anywhere near in terms of strength: there's no going back from this stuff'. A cautionary tale, then.

FURTHER Update: I have become a hopeless Peterson's Irish Flake junkie since writing the reviews below. However, my local 'bacconist has a bad memory and 'forgot' my recent order of Peterson's finest! Alas! So, twitching and gibbering on a Sunday morning with nothing stronger than St.Bruno Flake to hand I turned again - with considerable reluctance - to this stuff. Now, it's dried out a fair bit & it still tastes pretty damn bad BUT, it DOES give you a satisfactory fix of that evil vitamin N. So, thank you Black Irish Twist, for that. A little like drinking a bottle of Listerine to keep from the DT's when the champagne has run out (actually, Listerine might be a good idea after this stuff..).

Update: I think I was, originally, too taken with the sheer, bizarre, novelty value of a tobacco that tastes exactly like a greasy carbonised steak. Beyond this admitted novelty, and the sheer nicotine punch, I really can't see any reason why I'd ever want to smoke this again - since this same punch can be easily found with many, many tobaccos that are pleasing to smoke.

Original Review: If you were to put a steak under a high grill - after basting it with some kind of dark, Tabasco-laden barbecue sauce - and then, distracted, leave the kitchen only to remember a half-hour later and run back - you would find the atmospheric conditions there to be very similar to those produced by this remarkable tobacco. It's slow to burn, very moist and slightly fiddly to prepare. The smoke achieved however is rich, dense and surprisingly cool; a good deal less intimidating on the tongue than its smell might lead you to expect: a bold and spicy leather, really. It packs a fair nicotine wallop, yes, but not an overwhelming one: it produces more a thoughtful reverie than a head-spinning rugby-tackle of a punch. A good one to keep you mollified if you have to catch brief outdoor smokes between a series of long train journeys!

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Overwhelming None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

This looks positively evil, and looks are not deceiving in this case. The color is absolutely black, and it has the appearance of something your least favorite cat left for a present. The smell is quite strong, fermented way beyond St. Bruno or Bulwark. After slices, dicing, rubbing and airing, the taste was overwhelming. So was the nicotine content. It was difficult to stay concious long enough to finish a small bowl. For those who enjoy this twist, I will not compete for the limited supply. A man should know his limitations, this exceeds mine.

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (34)
Overwhelming None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

"It looks like a turd, smells like a campfire, and tastes like beef jerky"

While searching for any tobacco that had "Irish" in the name, I came across GaHoCo's "Irish X", a name that made me think of a thick Irish brogue exclaiming "We dinnae land on Plymouth Rock, Plymouth Rock landed on us" or "Say it loud, yer black an prrroud". That alone prompted me to purchase this tobacco knowing nothing other than it looked like a poo.

Being that I've never knowingly smoked a turd, I was a bit overwhelmed when I received it, and immediately did what all fortunate, Internet-connected folks do when the desire overtakes them to become an expert in 4-6 minutes, I searched youtube for a video on how to prepare and smoke said turd.

Coming from the cigar world, I was expecting this nubian death stick to be sweet and creamy, not unlike a maduro cigar... but it was nothing like that at all, the smoke being mildly salty, dry, roasted beef and not a lot of complexity. The so-called "Room Note" was that of a campfire and roasted meat. As the bowl worked it's way down, it did start to sweeten up slightly but the strength of the nicotine increased with every draw. Another unfortunate side-effect of my cigar smoking days, I performed a brief and very painful French inhale, which on lighter pipe tobaccos and most cigars results in a depth of flavor that I really appreciate. This was more like subjecting the internal caverns of my bulbous nose to a small army of wallclimbing ninjas. Eventually a decent light developed and ended my need to constantly relight - allowing some better experiences in the flavor department, mostly very faint tastes reminiscent of the smell of leather, a little dried fruit, and walnuts. There was no tongue bite whatsoever. Towards the end of the pipe the room started to spin, as the nicotine content was considerably higher than anything I had experienced prior, even after a nice filling meal, I was overwhelmed.

I'll give this another try, I only have a small amount, but as of right now I'll say it's not the best thing I've ever smoked - by a long shot. It smokes cool and dry, has a unique (and not wholly unpleasant) flavor, but the flavor is consistent (from char to dottle) very single-note.

Re-Review: After giving this a second try, but changing a few variables, I have to say I can see the appeal of this tobacco (although it still isn't for me). After smoking in a very small apple-bowled meerschaum, and making sure to thoroughly rub the disks to a rough ribbon, the flavor profile (woodfire and roasted meat) didn't change much, but the harshness was greatly reduced. If you smoke this, I strongly suggest a small bowl, meerschaum if you have it, and rub it to the finest consistency you can, you will get the most out of this tobacco. I am changing my review to "Somewhat Recommended" and there it will stay. The main benefits of this tobacco remain, it is a very cool smoke, it burns very clean (no dottle and a fine ash), and it is basically the polar opposite of a sweet tobacco (these days even non aromatics are very sweet, compared to this twist).

Pipe Used: Corncob, Meerschaum

Age When Smoked: Unknown (purchased 3/2014)

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Mr. Bentley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Bentley (17)
Strong Mild Very Full Pleasant

PURE HEAVEN!

I was on the look-out for a strong yet good-mannered tobacco with a lot of nicotine. Thought I'd give this one a whirl after reading the reviews here (I'm a noob smoker).

Upon my first few puffs, I said to myself "This just isn't going to be strong enough for me". By the time I had smoked about 2/3's of the bowl, I was zipping along very nicely on one of the best nic rides I've ever had; and yet, it is not a "kick you in the face and make you hiccup" nic punch. What I mean is: In your mouth, you really never taste any harsh nicotine, as you do with some strong tobaccies; and the nic effects don't jump out at you right away. It seems very subtle- but yet the effects of the nic become very apparent, gradually. In my opinion, this is exactly the way a quality tobacco should be- and indeed is, with Black Irish X.

The smoke stayed cool (You just can't heat this one up- and I'm a fast smoker) and no hint of tongue bite. It produces a thick, rich creamy smoke all the way through the bowl.

I usually don't taste what other reviewers taste, but in this case, as others have stated, it truly does have the flavor of a beef-jerky beefsteak- yet not overpoweringly so. That taste is rather subtle. You taste it readily upon lighting...and then just get teased with occassional little treats of that taste every now and then as you work your way through the bowl [Personally, I wish that that flavor was more in evidence in every puff]

This has replaced both Peterson's Irish Flake and SG's 1792 as my favorite smoke. It's about the highest quality tobacco I've encountered. It looks like a turd; feels like a hunk of Slim-Jim brand Beefsteak beef jerky; is fast and easy to prepare, and is just the ultimate pleasure to smoke. Can't wait till all my other tobaccos are gone, as I'll be buying a big quantity of this and it will be my main smoke. After smoking this, it is going to be nigh impossible to find something else that I can use as a #2 to switch off to.

This tobacco HAS IT ALL!

PS: An interesting thing about this baccie: Even though it's a rather strong and earthy tobaccy, amazingly, it leaves your mouth feeling clean and refreshed! Not minty or anything....just nice and clean and fresh. Amazing! Must be the fact that this is a good ol' old-world tobacco. Give me a bowl or two of this while I'm watching Columbo, and I am in heaven!

Xious Sonenberg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Xious Sonenberg (9)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

I must admit, I am often overwhelmed by many of the dark ropes and twists. That doesn't in any sense mean that i don't have a few that I enjoy terribly, and even regularly, and this is amongst them..

Black Irish X is shocking far more rounded at the edges in terms of body than the brown ropes; this, of course, from being stoved somewhat, makes it a better all-around smoke in my opinion.

I never slice this cord, but rather, I sheer off about 1/2 to 3/4 in (around 1cm) of it with a pair of cigar scissors, then I gently unwrap a few strands, rolling those up to put at the bottom of my clay tavern pipe, and shove the rest of the log straight in.

After this, I use a pick to spread it out a bit on top, and light it directly. I will say up-front that this means it will easily go out, and you may need a dozen relights over the next two hours: Oh yes, this smokes cool and long.

As with ny very strong tobacco, you will want a dedicated briar for this type of rope or plug, or a clay. I prefer the latter, as I feel that the level of nicotine and tar leeched out by the clay smooths the smoke further, and this was the type of pipe around when plugs and twists were predominant, so the two mesh well together.

If you use a briar, you will need to let it rest properly, as it will sour quickly with any strong VAs. Try it however you prefer, but clay is really your best bet for the full experience.

If you have a large bowl, you will need to slice it. I find this not as enjoyable, and this is the sort of stuff that begs for a light spreading, rather than slicing, so a small opening and medium depth bowl will suit you best.

This is also a tobacco that ages exceptionally well, and you can expect to see plume develop in a couple years.

If you are not a fan of stronger tobaccos at all, then you want to stray a good distance away from this, however if you occasionally enjoy something more authentic and classical, and have had issues with being overpowered, you may wish to consider Black Irish X, as it is more mellow and easy-tempered than its cousins.

On the other hand, if you enjoy plug and rope regularly, this will be a welcomed addition to your rotation.

Extremely Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The second of the limited selection of ropes I got while on holiday in England. With a slightly larger diametre than the Black Pigtail, this one was rather moist in the package. Also, there is a somewhat perfume-ish note in the pouch. Gawith, Hoggarth & Co.'s rather frugal website clears up that their thin and medium ropes are actually intended as chewing tobaccos, so I'm doing something wrong here by smoking them.

Or am I?

The medium-sized rope I got of the Black Bogie may be wet when opening the package, but it dries out to a smokable consistency rather quickly. I use a pair of scissors (or a good kitchen knife, when I feel the need for speed) to cut it into tiny, thin discs, which I then rub out and stuff into my smallest bowls.

As could be guessed from this being a practically pure DFK, the 'baccy tastes and smells smoky. Not quite as sweet as the Black Pigtail, but sweet enough, and with just as much smokiness. There is a little more bitterness on the palate, too, but again, not in a bad way. Malty sweetness manifests itself about halfway through the bowl. The perfume note is blissfully absent from both taste and room note.

Some maintenance is needed, but once properly lit, this blend burns down straight to the bottom, leaving a medium grey ash and not dottle or moisture. The room note is not much of a winner with non-smokers, but amazingly good for a pure DFK.

The taste starts relatively gently, but make no mistake, this stuff is really strong. Absolutely nothing for the beginner, and a friend I invited to try this consequently lost his dinner. I accompany this with an aged Islay or Orkney Single Malt.

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Very Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

The overall impression given by this tobacco is of something that has been burned. Burned steak, burned marshmallows, burned onions, burned oyster sauce, with hints of diesel exhaust. The burned ambiance tarnished every flavor, making one think of a great meal that has been ruined. There was no change in flavor or experience throughout the bowl. I was relieved when I had finished.

The smoke felt thick and oily on the mouth and never went far from the pipe. It's pretty strong, but not as strong as Irish Flake or a maduro Hoyo de Monterrey Sultan. It left me feeling fuzzy and out of sorts, as though I'd woken from a too-short nap. I like strong tobacco. I like Peterson's Irish Flake, for example. But at the end, this tobacco was as enjoyable as a toothache.

I had "flashbacks" throughout the day, not unpleasant, but not particularly welcome either. My pipe stank, really stank, and I put it through the alcohol-and-salt treatment. I would probably smoke this tobacco again if it were the last tobacco on earth. Until that bad day, however, there are tobaccos I enjoy much, much, much more. I'll use the rope to make insecticide.

Pipe Used: Peterson 106

Age When Smoked: 15 minutes out of the tin.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 10;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 57;

Rated Percentage = 95%;

Comment = Smooth, Strong Strength, Full Body Natural Tobacco Flavor, lots of BTU's need to Ignite, White Ash Burn.

If you are one who likes to “play” with your tobacco, by all means get this “Twist” form of tobacco, you can spend countless hours “Slicing, Dicing and Drying” this “Twist” tobacco before it is ready to smoke. I admit I am a lazy pipe smoker so I didn't find this necessary extra preparation exercise to be of any value to heighten my pipe smoking enjoyment. You had better have a sizable ignition source on hand because you are going to need a lot of BTU's to get this “Twist” tobacco to light. Once you achieve the first ignition you will need to have your best “Tamping Tool” at the ready to handle the endless re-packings and re-lights that this “Twist” form of tobacco requires. Perhaps you have detected that the “Twist” form of tobacco is not my “cup of tea”.

Puffingthebriar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Puffingthebriar (17)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow what a fantastic twist this is, its so meaty and very tastey, i love this stuff, its in my rotation 4++++ from me one of the best tobacco's ive evr smoked to be honest.

StylesSharpman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StylesSharpman (24)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Smoke this with onions and a beer for that authentic 3:00 am truck stop feast.once was enough.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Very Strong Very Strong Full Tolerable

I bought this one as an attempt to dip my toes in the pond of rope tobacco. Sadly, I think I made the wrong choice of tobacco. The smell in the packet is reasonable enough as is the aroma from the bowl, but the pipe taste is akin to the smell of a steak badly cooked in a very dirty pan right after you've eaten way too much food already. I can understand why the previous reiewer's friend decided to seek a refund on his breakfast. I have tried and tried to like this tobacco after several smokes but just can't seem to acquire a taste for it. If you are a fan of strong flavoured tobaccos, this will probably not disappoint. As a fan of lighter flavours, this one is not for me.

Big H Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big H (9)
Overwhelming None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

Why? Oh, why? I really wanted to like this. It's oily and moist. Hard to light and keep lit. The other reviews are correct, it smells like the BBQ pit when some beef fat falls into the charcoal. Not an entirely unpleasant odor but not necessarily what you want in your pipe. It is not complex, like I'd hoped. It was straight forward meat and nicotine. The room note was the same. You can imagine a burning BBQ pit in your living room. I think it's quality stuff, just not for me. I'm not giving up. I'm smoking the rest of my rope before I give up on her.

It must have been meant of chewing at some point. It looks like it would be much better for chewing.

Burner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burner (8)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

I was quite intrigued by this dark rope tobacco so decided to give it a go. I'm quite electic in my tobacco tastes leaning towards English blends but I found this a horrible smoking experience. The taste is dominated by the flavour of burning meat and that isn't something I want to taste in my pipe thank you very much.

n9inchnails Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
n9inchnails (10)
Very Strong None Detected Overwhelming Overwhelming

Having loved both Brown Irish X and Brown Bogie I decided to try some of this and BIG MISTAKE!! This stuff is absolutely vile, the most disgusting thing I have ever smoked. It literally tastes like a completely burned steak and smells like a dozen burnt steaks, I couldn't even force myself to smoke even half the bowl before I dumped it in the garbage. I like my steak bloody and i like my smoke to taste like tobacco not burnt ass!

Wrangler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wrangler (15)
Overwhelming Extra Strong Extra Full Overwhelming

This tobacco is the most disgusting thing I've ever put into a pipe to smoke. Burnt rubber and chicken feathers would have tasted better had I smoked it instead! Absolutely repugnant! This crap should be renamed Satan's Excrement! I must seriously question the integrity and sanity of anyone who smokes more than one bowl of this junk! YUK! I nearly threw up from the nicotine poisoning I endured. It took me over two hours to regain my composure after this venture into the torture tobacco realm. Smoking this crap is the equivalent of straining Sterno to drink the juice to get drunk. If this was the only tobacco left in the world to smoke, I'd quit smoking my pipes.

BriarChef Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarChef (100)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I enjoy chopping things up, like ropes and plugs of tobacco. I can't decide if this is a good waste of bad tobacco, or a bad waste of good tobacco.

A brutal head butt of a smoke with no subtle aspects.

Nke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nke (6)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Strong

Itlooks great and smells great. It`s really something exotic and different by the looks of it. I really anticipated a lot more from it. To me it wasn`t really strong. The taste was something between iron,salt water and blood. Very sour. I just couldn`t finish the bowl,because the taste just wasn`t for me. Although I can perfectly understand that for some it`s just "the" thing. But on my personal experience,I can`t recommend it. Just too different. But... it`s worth a try anyhow,just for the sake of it!

Darth 69 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth 69 (75)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I really like Gawith's twists, that is when I'am in the mood to handle the high nicotine strength. This is calmer in the nicotine department than others of it's kind do to I'am sure the cooking process making it jet black. Still somewhat strong and full though. It has a wonderful smell in the tin/pouch like cinnamon spice from all that dark fired leaf. However it's smoking qualities I did not enjoy. It is somewhat moist in texture so it burns a little slower. The tastes is round, mild on the pallette but in conjunction with it's burning aroma I found unpleasant. Its' very odd and am not sure what to liken it to, perhaps burning plastic with a degree of sweetness. Yes, I mean it, it tastes oddly different and "synthetic." It's texture reminds me more of being in line with chewing tobacco. I have read somewhere that precisely that is what these types of blends are for, both chewing and smoking. If one has ever experimented with drying out and burning chewing tobacco, a similiar smoke quality is pressent. I think it has to do with moisture penetrating the leaf in such a cooking process. So I tried chewing a small sclice and it tastes more in line with being a chewing product. Skoal fans may like this. But it made me severely sick and almost lost it, stomach contents that is. So experiment at your own risk.

Not recommended.

Ducksbreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ducksbreath (81)
Extremely Strong Very Strong Extra Full Extra Strong

The problem I have with all the ropes I've tried is mainly the aftertaste, like a cigar butt dipped in a puddle of melted pvc and used motor oil.

And though this may be the best of the bunch it still leaves its tire tracks all over me. This is smoother than the rest of 'em though still something you could hang yourself on.

WxGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WxGuy (95)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

Sheesh! Great novelty tobacco, looks like oily oscuro-wrapper cigars curled up in a coil. Does not burn hot but the main taste/sensation is harsh.If this was like what tobacco was like in the "good old days", I can see why life expectancy was so short in 19th century Ireland.

Don't see what is attractive about this GH offering.Maybe I will revisit my sample in a year or two and see if I can tame it then.

Very Strong Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Tolerable

I had to try this tobacco just because of all of the hype. Although the novelty of cutting your own tobacco off of a rope is a must for all pipe smokers at least once, I found this to be a boring smoke. The tobacco had poor burning qualities and very little flavor. Although the nicotene content is high, it is still not near as much so as Royal Yacht. The tobac burned nice and cool, and I will have no problem finishing the sample. It just wasn't enough to get me hooked. The Lakeland Perfume is just barely noticeable if you really look. I have to kind of wonder if it isn't there just because it is made in the same factory and absorbs it somewhat from the air!

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (47)
Strong Extremely Mild Mild Tolerable

A dense black twist that slices easily and rubs out moderately well. There are some residual lakeland notes and the pre light aroma is quite sweet, with some salty overtones. Once rubbed out the tobacco will dry out fairly quickly.

This is a surprisingly (to me) light tobacco which is sweet and creamy, sometimes peppery if puffed too hard, but otherwise nondescript. It produces great plumes of billowing clouds. Not an easy tobacco to get under way and will require some attention with tamp and light. Burns cool.

Supposedly less nicotine than the brown ropes and twists, I nonetheless found this to have some heft in the nicotine department. I guess it would suit the pipeman who doesn't want to think about what the tobacco is doing because it really isn't doing much anyway. I didn't find the severe faults other reviews found so objectionable, but in the absence of positive things about this tobacco attention might be drawn to its down sides. For my money I want more interest with a tobacco, tho I would not refuse if this were offered by a friend.

Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I enjoy the occasional rope, twist and strong tobacco, especially those from Gawtih Hoggarth. When it comes to Black Irish X, there is good and not so good here for me personally. The good is that it delivers the strength that I had expected. It burns very cool and it is one very smooth tobacco. The bad is pretty simple, I am not a fan of the burnt flavor. It’s as simple as that. While I enjoy strong blends, Lady N isn’t at the top of my list of “must haves.” First and foremost, I have to like the flavor. I just don’t care for the flavor of this one verses others of the genre. I do think that Black Irish X should be on the “must try” list for all lovers of ropes, twists and strong flakes.

Simon.c Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simon.c (7)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Before buying this I had only smoked the brown but I was looking for something with a little more complexity and boy did I find it.

This stuff is truly delicious if you like sweet and smoky almost meaty tobacco, with a flavour that I can describe as a char grilled steak sitting in the bowl of your pipe.

While it does need some preparation and drying before hand it is a simply divine once you're smoking it, or you can just buy the sliced version if you feel like but I find it removes the fun from it.

One last thing, I am beginning to find this a little low on nic for my taste so I find mixing 2/3 black to brown to be a delicious and stout smoke.

Pipe Used: Meer lined briar.

EarlofYork Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
EarlofYork (5)
Overwhelming Mild Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

This stuff will rape your sister,steal your dog and piss in your flower garden. To strong for my likes.

Mad Chuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mad Chuck (2)
Very Strong Strong Extra Full Very Strong

I bought this blend because of the strong nicotine content. The flavor does taste and smell of charred(very burned) beef. This also turned me on to the blend, because that seemed like something I would enjoy. I did like the flavor and the high dose of vitamin N, but I find that I am partial to aromatics. That said, I do enjoy this smoke. I have found that this is great if you like the flavor. It is very well for a mixer, if you need an extra kick.

I will also say this... If you DO mix this, be prepared for the burned beef flavor.

I will give this blend a 3 of 4 simply because of the flavor. If I could find a similar blend in aromatic, 4 of 4.

beardedhermit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
beardedhermit (30)
Strong None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This here be the Rolls-Royce of pipe tabbacer. Thar aint none finer. Tell you what, you find one that is and I'm gone hit me with a hammer!

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

Wow! Smokey Meat is right. It's good and has an interesting flavor and aroma. It is pleasant but very strong! I like to add it to the top of a weaker blend that needs a bit of kick.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Strong

Other reviewers have suggested that this tastes like steak browning. They're right and I'm not sure this is such a bad thing.

I smoked this stuff at a local village fete and had people looking around asking where they could find the barbeque. Bizarrely, someone thought I was smoking a sausage (Uncanny! Almost as if they'd seen it before I'd sliced it into coins).

Definitely not an everyday smoke. This is a "meat aromatic" novelty.

It's sold loose, so I'd recommend buying a couple of inches and trying it for the experience.

burgess1984 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
burgess1984 (1)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

I wanted to give something strong a try and think I may have over stepped the mark when I asked the tobacconist for something as far away from Dunhills Early morning pipe as possible.

As a reasonably heavy cig smoker I wanted a late night or possibly whisky evening smoke that could finish the night off with a bit of kick but this blend took it too far for me.

The light is not as difficult as some would make you think if you give this bacci 20 minutes to breathe but may need a few relights during the smoke as its hard to keep puffing away on this monster.

The initial taste and room note are of burnt meat or the opening light of a coal fire, hard to imagine until you taste but take your time and you find the mid bowl is very smooth.

Leaves a strong ghost in the pipe.

Hardly bites despite strength.

Would avoid unless you are after something different or a challenge.

Still, despite my review and the others this is a quality tobbaco if not all that enjoyable.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

G/H Black Irish X … Sold in bulk, a black rope like Virginia plug tobacco about 5/8 inch in diameter. Looks like something Abe Lincoln would have smoked. Its bag aroma is a mild nondescript tobacco odor, with a after smoke room note that only a pipe smoker could enjoy.

I cut several 1/8 thick disc from the rope, and tried to smoke them without any drying time, mistake. First of all I could not keep them lit, they were too moist, and what smoke/steam I did get was NOT very good, to say the least, nothing like any Virginia I ever tasted before, yuk. So I did the obvious, I crumbled up a disk, and let it dry out, until almost breakable. Now things got interesting. To start with, light up and burn went without a problem, the initial smoke was mild, with a faint taste of something anise like, tasty, but very unique for a almost pure Virginia blend. As the bowl burned down the strength increased to what I would call medium strong, producing a mouth feel ((not taste)) of a stronger Honduran cigar. The taste seems to improve as the bowl burned, providing a faint sweetness and some interesting, if not unusual Virginia flavors. Really quite expectable.

I never encountered any tongue bite or harshness, but be ready for some vitamin “N”, in my case not a big problem, because I used a very small bowled cob pipe, dedicated to crazy tobaccos like this one. Overall, not nearly the monster I imagined, just a basic somewhat strong tobacco, not too different from many other old time plugs. Actually with a little experience and patience it's a respectable smoke. I would recommend to anyone that would enjoy stepping back in time, preparing his own smoke from a basic shoved plug. For THAT person, 3 stars. But If you tend to be a little on the anal side about details, forget this one, and move on.

DragonBreath Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DragonBreath (8)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Extra Strong

Black as Hell and strong as the Devil, but if you approach it slowly and with a good measure of respect, it can provide a unique and interesting experience. It is very important not to rush through a bowl of this tobacco. Sip it gently, as if you were determined to be the last man standing in a smoking contest. This is a meaty tobacco, and it is the polar opposite of an aromatic blend.

Black Irish X presents itself as a dark, dense rope of tobacco, a bit thicker than an index finger, comprised of a stout solid core of tobacco wrapped in a few leaves that are thin as onionskin.

To smoke this tobacco, it is best to either cut it into coins or shave it into curls with a sharp knife. It is my understanding that tobacco in rope or twist form was usually chewed first, and then left to dry before smoking it.

This tobacco is best enjoyed outdoors, early in the morning, on an autumn evening, or on the porch during a summer storm. I would recommend it not be smoked indoors, unless you want your house to smell like a burning chicken coop for several days. The room note is very strong, and far from pleasant.

I recommend this tobacco because I feel it is an edifying and bracing experience to smoke. If you want to experience a bit of history, and test your mettle as well, give Black Irish X a try.

Even if it turns out not to be to your taste, having a twist of this black rope tobacco around the house makes a interesting subject for starting a conversation.

Pipes used in testing: Savinelli 606 KS, Saint-Claude basket pipe, Peterson Tankard

Amos Iron Wolf Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amos Iron Wolf (7)
Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

Winston Churchill once said of Russia,"I cannot forecast to you the action of Russia. It is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma; but perhaps there is a key..."

Replace the name Russia with Black Irish Twist (or X) and you have a good description. I don't love it. I don't hate it. Yet, I don't feel it's neutral or boring. It is very different. Not your grab it anytime smoke. I can't really find words to describe this tobacco or even how I feel about it. I'm usually pretty wordy.

I suggest taking a small, clay pipe and working your way slowly through an ounce of this stuff under various conditions and environments, moods, and other variables and see where you come out on the other end. Then decide. I'm working on it myself.

If nothing else, this is one tobacco every exploratory pipe smoker should at least try, and preferably observe in the wild over time. Dedicate a clay to it and let it be a walk away from the regular world for awhile. Not something I will reach for often, but when in the mood for something a little surreal perhaps.

Update 10/04/10: (A one star downgrade) Well, I've been playing with this a little more and the intrigue wears thin. I actually got a bit nauseous from it one day. Not a Nic Mulekick kind of bleh. Just bleh. It still has a tiny moment now and then of "interesting." It has just grown into a relationship much like with our grown daughter. Nice to see her for a few days once or twice a year, then happy to see the plane leave with her on it, knowing it will be at least another six months or more before we see her again. Anything else is just too taxing.

meerkat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
meerkat (64)
Strong None Detected Full Strong

This is a smoooooth smoke.

Yes, the flavours and texture of the smoke are both full and rich and yes, it contains nicotine (but not in the HUGE doses some would have you believe). And I can see how the combination of these factors is overwhelming to some but I find it an abolutely delicious experience.

There are no fake flavourings to muddy your encounter with the top class leaf which forms this oily black coil.

Laid on a solid chopping board, a sharp knife will slice perfect roundlets of tobacco which rub out easily and require little if any drying time. Being in a rope seems to keep this stuff alive for longer (in terms of moisture) so you can buy it in large amounts without worrying that it's glory will have faded before you get a chance to smoke it.

The taste is, as some have commented, vaguely reminisant of engine oil (but in a good way)although the meatiness others have mentioned, I experience somehow more in the texture of the thick plumes of creamy rich smoke than in the taste. There is a slight background sweetness, as in a strong malt beer, which is enough to give interest and depth to the flavour without becoming overpowering or cloying.

This is a Tobacco's Tobacco. If it were human it would be 6'2" have a thick beard, wear check shirts and possess the kind of chest which makes you stand back a few paces if you want to see it all at the same time, it wouldn't speak much but everyone would know when it did and it's hands would be thick and rough from a hard days graft. But it wouldn't punch you without enduring the kind of provocation that would leave most people in the hospital. This tobacco would never steal your wallet and it would give up it's seat for a lady...I don't really know where I'm going with this anymore...

It's strong and plain (but not boring) and I absolutely could not get it to bite, at all. I honestly don't know why everyone doesn't love this stuff. You need to try it, even if it's just once.

umm_bacon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
umm_bacon (12)
Strong None Detected Very Full Extra Strong

I am not sure what to say about this tobacco. Getting her going I swore that I was eating a steak, charred. I should preface this with I am still new at pipe smoking, but I have already gravitated to the “more experienced” tobaccos. Irish Flake, Kendal Twist, Happy Bogey, Condor Original, me likes them all. I have already decided that I have little use for anything subtle. With that said, I am not sure I can in good conscious recommend this tobacco. Instead, I dare you. I dare you to try the Black Irish X. It isn't the strongest out there, but it definitely stands out. I haven't tried the Brown Irish X, but I think that the Kendal and Bogey ropes might be about on par. This is an altogether interesting experience. I smoked this out of a giant meerschaum, and well I have the same feeling I did after finally feeling proficient with a straight edge razor – nothing can stop me now.

I must say that I whole-heartedly agree with every review. I see how this could be a horrible experience to many. I can't actually say that it was a good experience, but I have just shy of 4 oz. left, and I promise you it will not go to waste. One comment on many of the other comments, the nicotine isn't THAT strong. The burning flesh taste and smell aside, which I somehow liken to the Lakeland soap taste (something that probably should have no business in a tobacco smoking experience, but I'm glad it does) this is a generally smooth smoke. But I still dare you…

MikePhillips Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikePhillips (9)
Very Strong Extra Strong Very Full Strong

After reading the reviews of this tobacco by the members here, I ordered 500 grams and just finished my first bowl. Wow! Strong, nearly heartstopping when I first lit it, before getting it going nicely, but after it began to burn evenly, I've decided that I like it a great deal. I should also note that this is the first tobacco I've smoked in a few years, having given my pipe up for awhile. I burned mine in an extremely well broken in 4 dot, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, it smells like roasting flesh, and yes it's an incredibly strong smoke, but I like very strong tobaccos, and never mind a stinky tobacco if it smokes nicely, and this one does. It smokes nice and cool (though the nicotine on your tongue is enough to make keeping something cool to drink handy a necessity), is extremely satisfying, and best of all, it not only ran my wife from the room, but entirely out of the house. Based on that alone, it's a keeper, even if tasted like burning pitbull turds.

HIGHLY recommended, but caution is advised.

P.S. The brown rope is much stronger, though it does have a better room note.

P.P.S. Date: July 13, 2010 Well, gents, I'm giving up smoking entirely now. I'll miss it terribly, but I suppose it's time. I may pick it up in another 15 or so years (if I manage to live that much longer), but for now, I'm going to call it quits. I haven't smoked (cigarettes) at all for a few weeks now, and just feel that if I keep my tobaccos, I'll never really be finished with it. So, I have a few hundred grams of Black Irish Twist if anyone wants it (not selling, giving). I hate to get rid of it, but I think it's best. Just contact me at mike.allen.phillips at gmail dot com and I'll send it out. First come, first served, of course. But please don't ask me to send this to you if you aren't actually going to smoke it. I hate to see it go to waste.

Regards

ermtony Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ermtony (1)
Strong Extremely Mild Full Strong

Gawith Hoggarth Black Irish Twist (or Black Irish X as it says on the label of the sealed plastic bag it came in) is my first ever twist or rope tobacco. Over 35 years of smoking flakes hadn't quite prepared me for this one. I expected it to be something like a Va flake but stronger, but no, this is a different beast altogether, and one that I am very glad I decided to try.

The smell of the tobacco in the pack is excellent. Deeply woody, almost earthy with quite a smoky, cigar-like overtone. The appearance is mildly off-putting, resembling a bent black cigar, but the aroma makes up for that.

Preparation was easy enough. I have an excellent French made Opinel knife which made short work of slicing up a portion into pieces the size and thickness of a penny (a UK one that is). Based on the reviews I have read I expected the tobacco to need some drying but no, not at all. It rubbed out very easily making packing the pipe a breeze.

I smoked it in a Peterson 317, which has a suitably small sized bowl (for those who aren't familiar with Petes). It lit very easily and required only one more light to finish off the bowl. It smoked good and clean all the the way leaving only grey ash and no dottle.

Now for the flavour. In a word, wow! Most impressive. It smokes dry so the flavour stayed pretty much the same all the way down. The flavour of the smoke mirrors that of the tobacco in the pack; earthy, woody, smoky and altogether just as a plain tobacco should be. I had expected it to be stronger tasting. In fact, based on those reviews I expected something like Irish Flake but more so (and I am not over keen on Irish Flake - it gives me heartburn!). While Black Irish is certainly strong in flavour is is exceptionally smooth and tasty, cool smoking and quite unique in my pipe smoking experience. I did make a point of going fairly slowly with it and I am sure that was the right approach. Nicotine level? Fairly high but not excessive, though I think smoking it in a larger pipe might be a bit over the top.

To sum up, this is one that I would recommend to anyone. Four stars all the way.

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (109)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Overwhelming

Black Irish twist is a tobacco that fully lives up to its intimidating appearance. This is what the Grim Reaper Himself smokes. Popeye the Sailor also. It's an absolutely genuine, authentic, no-nonsense baccy, but very much an acquired taste. Is it worth acquiring? I don't think so, myself, but I can well believe that it will have its enthusiasts. It's the kind of stuff that everybody's great- granddad used to smoke back in the day.

Positives: it's cool, slow-burning and as full-flavoured as you could ask for – almost a meal in itself, if you see what I mean. I can't imagine anybody wanting much of it during a twenty-four hour cycle. (It's not for the fastidious palate, though; notice some of the things that people have compared it to: iron, blood, salty water, fishing boats, burnt steak!) Negatives: it's excessively laborious to prepare and keep alight. It's as moist as it looks in the picture; it needs to be dried and aired quite a bit before ignition is attempted.

Wives, servants, cats and dogs be warned: the room note of this stuff is absolutely terrible; like a fire in a slaughterhouse. It will haunt your deepest dreams, and not in a good way. Not surprisingly, the ghost of Black Irish Twist is mighty hard to exorcise from whatever pipe you smoke it in.

Hell's bells, it's strong! Oh, my Lord! For my tender sensibilities, this ultra-manly tobacco is far, far too wicked in terms of nicotine content. Half way down the bowl I had to lie down and pray for deliverance. You need to be a serious vitamin N junkie to like, or even to be able to stand, it. If, however, you're looking for a robust, old-fashioned baccy that has not been tampered with in any way, have a slap at this. It's an experience and a half: no scents or flavourings or fancy dancing – just Man against Tobacco. Try it in your smallest bowl, and don't try to walk or focus on anything for some time afterwards.

To the Barbarian Hero kind of smoker, therefore, I recommend it. I swear I'll never touch it again, but I can be objective enough to see its virtues even though it half killed me. To more genteel pipemen – wimps like me – I say: stay away from this stuff; it'll make you want to sit on the floor and cry.

Thus: somewhat recommended, depending on who you are and what you like. To be on the safe side, put your affairs in order before you smoke this, and maybe fill out your organ-donor card (assuming there'd be anything left of you worth recycling).

Update, 9th January, 2014: I've been smoking this again lately, despite the fear that it filled me with at first (I've been buying it in the sliced-up version that is exactly the same tobacco; you just don't have to bother with all the fuss of preparation). Oddly enough, I've come to like it quite a lot as a winter, cold-weather smoke. I'm minded to promote it to three stars from my original two. Do be careful with it, though; it's wicked stuff, and it needs careful handling, like gelignite. It's a good friend and a bad enemy.

dryfly11 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dryfly11 (8)
Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Extra Strong

This is a monochromatic and nicotine over-loaded blend, which contaminate your pipe with a weired flavor for ever. Smoking on empty stomach makes me sick!

Why 4 stars?

I can understand if you hate it, but I love it!

It's not a complex and elegant blend, but you get a mellow smoke with a lightly sour flavor (iron, blood, salty water, fishing boat) of natural tobacco.

Smoking this stuff is the best way for me to relax. After the first few puffs - accompanied by a bottle of Merlot - all problems are fading away at once! Something magic!

I'm satisfied with one bowl a week (nicotine content!), but I don't want to miss this stuff anymore.

A relict of the "good?" old times!

Thank you Gawith & Hoggarth!

By the way, smoking indoors, it' an excellent mokito repellant!

Cantrell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cantrell (9)
Extremely Strong Mild to Medium Full Strong

WOW! strong stuff!

Taste like a burnt steak and I like that, something a bit different than the sweet smokes I'm used to.

I really liked this tobacco the first time I tried it, liked it so much I packed a second bowl BIG MISTAKE.

Nicotine content slammed into me hard half way through the second bowl and I broke out in a cold sweat; had to go and lay down for 20 min. VERY STRONG (my world was spinning like a top).

I still smoke this occasionally, but with much more respect. I like this tobacco early in the morning after a hearty meal, and in small doses.

Update: If this tobacco gets too dry it becomes just terrible.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)
Very Strong Mild Full Tolerable

A twin with SG's Black XX rope. This came a with tad more moisture, perhaps, making it slightly limber. To my surprise this was easily rubbed out. The burn is very cool and dry to a powdery ash. No tongue bite. No throat irritation. This has the same full, grilled meat-on-a-stick flavor. A blue-collar smoke. Nothing fancy. Call it retro, a relic, a throwback, but it is an honest and satisfying, big and bold smoke. Tasty, desert island tobacco.

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing BIT to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I may use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

You can tell from the reviews here this is a love it/hate it blend. I love it. Mellow, strong, all tobacco. Slice, and dice...let it dry out, rub it out. Packs, lights, burns well. At this point in my tobacco journey this is my desert island choice.

Clayman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clayman (7)
Very Strong None Detected Full Strong

If you want something different, this is your smoke.

Heavy - and it lends a nice flavor to the pipe. I liken the taste to roasting meat (or fat.) (Black Rope ... It's PEOPLE!!!)

Indeed, my wife often mistakes the smell of smoldering black rope to chicken burning on the grill. Now, if that ain't a reason to try this smoke, I don't know what is! You get tons of people who liken the smell of burning latakia to "Campfires in the fall" etc etc. Well, how many tobaccos can you smoke that remind you of summer barbecue??

For best results, smoke in a clay, as it was meant to be smoked. Chew it first, and then let it dry out and smoke it for a REALLY authentic experience. (It tones down the nicotine ... really! Try it, I dare you.) Baking soda will get the stains off your teeth, I promise.

P.S. I'm pretty sure the term "OLD TAR" comes from the aroma that old sailors who smoked too much black rope must exude from every pore. What more could you possibly want?

stieltje Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
stieltje (14)
Very Strong None Detected Mild Strong

UPDATE

This tobacco grows on me, a bit of this rope have now been in my tobacco jar for a while, and it has done a bit for the taste. Perhaps due to a different moisture level (I have also changed the pipe I use for this tobacco). The taste of this tobacco is a bit fuller right from the start, and I feel the taste of very dark chocolates, and some grape fruit.

As before, the sweetness builds up nicely as the pipe progresses. Sweet and mild smoke tastewise, probably a powerhouse nicotine wise, as I usually break a sweat while smoking it.

Original review

My first impression on this tobacco was very bad, smoked it in a small bowled pipe, and perhaps to swift. The roof of my mouth got a coating, and I got a heart burn as well. The taste was that of wet but smoldering card board.

Drying it out a wee bit, and then smoking it in a medium sized meer or a billiard briar, and smoking it slowly, it reveals a completely different character. The first half of the bowl is very mild, and not tasting much at all, but as the sweetnes of the VA's builds up and gains momentum, the taste gets sweeter, fuller, more satisfying. This tobacco do need alot of attention, at least the first half bowl of it.

Very nice on occasion, or when you are all out of dark birdseye. A bowl of this in the morning perks me up.

Holy Smoke Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Holy Smoke (26)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Tolerable to Strong

Mmm, a barbeque in a pipe.

It's a simple smoke, nothing wrong with that, that will hit the spot (for flavour) when nothing else can. Just don't let yourself be fooled by the mildness of the aroma: you'll get bitten almost instantly if you puff too quickly. Though after getting it lit, it's a tame rope and not a crazed viper.

This is not an exceptionally strong or rough tobacco. The core of it's kick lies in it's smoky and earthy character, not in lashings of nicotine and tar. Latakia may be smoky -though it is confined to the realms of lapsang souchong- Black Irish on the other hand is like putting a few pounds of dry bracken in your mouth and letting your neighbour run at you with a flaming torch.

This is a perfect smoke to accompany a coffee, but it does lack a long nicotine hit and won't keep you going as long as other twists.

A suitable nightcap.

TheGreatPawnHunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheGreatPawnHunter (5)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This tobacco I save for capping off the night before bed time. It is dark and formadable but that is half the attraction. It is pressurized removing a lot of the nicotine to produce a medium to full smoking experience. Great taste. My grand father and father used to mix these "Rat tail" tobaccos with inexpensive tea leaves because they were poor. Tobacco was hard to come by for them. This tobacco has a salty taste to it. It lights easily and stays lit. I smoke this tobacco in a Pipa Croci Dublin. A little goes a very long way. It is a great outdoor smoke on a rainy or wintry day. Cut in 1/8th inch pieces with a pocket knife and put through an inexpensive tobacco grinder and smoked straight will have you dreaming of the wee folk in the hills of county Kerry, Ireland.

Extremely Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

If there is any doubt that a person's personal chemical makeup plays a large role in one's flavor impressions of a certain pipe tobacco, then read all of the reviews of Black Irish Twist. Some esteemed members here say it is an all-time favorite while other esteemed members say it is an all-time worst.

Strong and oily with an all tobacco taste, pure and simple. With G&H Black Irish Twist in your pipe, the cares of the world will quickly fade from your immediate thoughts. All of your attention will be focused on trying to get through your bowlful of the stuff . Of secondary concern (well, for me anyway,) was what to do with the rest of the tin? I finally decided to bury it in my neighbor's back yard. Please don't tell.

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Strong None Detected Medium Very Strong

I tried black Irish twist after trying several of the Gawith and Hoggart tobaccos. I had first given brown twist a thorough tasting before trying its darker brother, black twist. I have never had a problem with the supposed tsunami of nicotine that is supposed to embodie many of the G & H tobaccos, but none the less it is apparent that many smokers do. The aroma of black twist is that of an lightly (and I do mean lightly) sweetend bourbonesque essence. Texture of the rope is oily and chewy, I almost wanted to cut of a plug of it and find the nearest spitoon. I was skeptical as to how well this tobacco was going to burn upon initial inspection but, after lighting I had no problem sustaining a proper burn. Texture of the smoke was not biting in the least, I have to admit I thaught that this blend was going burn like a mouth full of coals. This is most likely due to the intense curing that this tobacco undergoes, as most of the sugars are leached from the leaf during the baking process. The overall complexity in this tobacco was a bit lacking. I detected an air of charred honey-baked ham that seemed to peek out from time to time, laced with the slightest kiss of bourbon. Despite the oily texture of the leaf this tobacco burns clean, leaving a fine ash at the bottom of the bowl. I highly recomend using a pipe with small bowl capacity for this tobacco, as a little goes a long way. I have a miniature Peterson barrel that I primarily use for this tobacco and its brown brother. I have alot of respect for G&H for maintaing the classic lines of tobacco that they produce. I encourage all smokers to at least try these blends and, if you don't like them then at least you can comment on them.

Note preparation: I noticed that there are alot of people who have commented on how much of a pain this tobacco is to prepare for smoking, so I wanted to share my technique.

Slice of segments of the rope into widths of 1/4 of an inch. Place the cut rope segments into a clean coffee grinder a pulse a couple of times. This works really fast, and gives a very manageable cut that packs and blends easily. The uniformity of the cut also makes the burn really consistent.

CaptnDan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CaptnDan (242)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Very Strong

A friend shared some of his rope stock so I could try this style of tobacco - Thanks James!

This was quite a departure from the blends I usually smoke. And that is an understatement. I will never again think that drying and rubbing out flakes is a tedious procedure. This stuff actually requires tools to get it ready to smoke.

I tried cutting it into slices, but found that shredding it was quicker. End result is the same. Then it had to dry.

The taste reminded me of a backyard barbeque - not altogether unpleasant, but unexpected. Actually quite smooth, not the harsh horrible beast I expected. The room note was more potent than the taste. Nicotine content was fairly high. I smoked back-to-back bowls without ill-effect, though there was some effect.

I'll probably re-visit this one, but it's nothing I will want on a regular basis. Just too 'plain-Jane'.

batfastard123 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
batfastard123 (10)
Very Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

This is supposed to be the same as the brown rope, only cooked to remove some of the tars and nicotine to make for a more mellow smoke. My first impression of this tobacco was what the heck is it? It looked like a piece of old rubber that came off of a tire. I took my razor blade and began to make thin slices and then chop the sloces up a bit. I packed the tobacco into a favorite old pipe I use for testing, it lit after a bit of persuading, billows of white smoke were produced and the smell of steaks burning on a barbecue grill filled the room. The taste was surprisingly tame, a good mellow smoke, I couldn't believe it, something that looks this intimidating tasting so good, and being so mellow, just goes to show looks can be deceiving. A 9 out of 10. Note: this does not quite have the nicotine wallop of the brown twist, but it is still a high nicotine content smoke, be careful.

Extremely Strong None Detected Very Full Very Strong

Whoa! Nelly!! This is some seriously strong tobacco!

Appearance: Black rope, looks like coyote skat!

Aroma: Fermented leaf, wine and raisin undertones.

Packing: a pain in the rear! You have to cut a section with scissors, then cut the leaf further and rub-out the filler, then pack your pipe.

Lighting: about 4 vestas, better to leave out for an hour or two before filling your pipe.

Flavor: In your face tobacco, but it reminded me of a cheap cigar. It doesn't change down the bowl much. This is not the rich complex flavors that come from a rich stoved VA blend, rather it is plain ole nasty tobaccy. Ash is dark and dry though. Warning, this will leave a strong aftertaste in your mouth that will need a day or two to get rid of and your pipe will also catch the flavor; dedicate a pipe or get a corncob.

Overall: well, at least I tried it. If this were the only tobac available, I would quit smoking. The nicotine was high, but not anymore than say "Stonehaven". I suppose in the world of Alcohol ther is room for "Ripple" and "Thunderbird" and in the world of tobacco we have "Black Irish Rope".

Rating: 0 out of 5 points, trust me don't waste your time on this.

ajaj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ajaj (69)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I prefer the brown ropes to black ropes. This black rpe is similar in flavor to Gawith Black XXX. Both offer a no-nonsense smoke but lack the spiciness found in brown ropes. Black Irish Twist offers a more dirt or earth-like flavor which can be, at times, not too pleasant. I like to keep a small batch of the sliced version around for the occasional smoke. Positive notes: this tobacco produces volumes and volumes of cool smoke. Also, it's almost impossible to get your tongue bitten off.

Dogface Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dogface (2)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable to Strong

Probably my #3 favorite tobacco. It's not as strong as the Brown Irish Twist (also from G&H), and the flavor is not as penetrating. Instead, it's "rounder" and more mellow. It's a milder smoke than the brown, even though it looks scarier.

MsftMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MsftMan (2)
Strong None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Strong

One has to try at least a little of this at one point in their life. If anything just to experience the novelty of cutting your own tobac from a rope.

I used my trusty knife and cut some thin slices of the plug, rubbed it out and let it dry for a while. The tobac is very black and oily, almost leather like.

I lit the tobacco and was very suprised by the mellowness of the smoke, almost non-descript. The smoke is voluminous... I mean big bellows of smoke. But, NO BITE! So far so good right? Well the lingering taste in my mouth had a striking resemblence to cigars. Yup, that's what I was tasting... cigars. Which is why I rated the "taste" as "flat."

The nicotine knock out punch that everybody refers to? I didn't notice it being over bearing, but I think that has a lot to do with your size, weight, and tolerances.

So bottom line, you owe it to yourself to try this. Preferably try a friends batch, cuz' if you don't like it you'll have a lot left (smallest amount to buy I've seen is 2oz.)

Overall, intriguing, interesting, might be nice to blend with something else.

zebarracuda Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zebarracuda (3)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

A great tobacco, to be smoked only in some occasions.

Cutting the plug is very easy, using a very sharp knife, and rubbing it out is also very easy.

I filled the bowl of my Mayfair ( small bowl, i dont dare to smoke in a bigger bowl ! ), and unwrapped a few leafs of the plug for a better lighting operation.

Usual procedure in lighting, a good charring light, tamp, re-light it, and off we go... Needed only 2 re-lights during the smoke.

From the start you get what you want with this tobacco, a pure smoke, just pure virginia tobacco, no flavoring whatsoever, no complexity at all, just a plain ride all the way. A very smooth and slow smoke, it took me almost 80 minutes to end the bowl, drawing slowly and with quiet pace. No bite at all, even if you push it.

I must advise you to smoke this very slowly and with a full stomach ( after a good meal and with a good 15 years Malt Scotch is great ), or else you'll get nausea and get sick.

The nicotine rush is big, very big. Mid-way, you feel very very relaxed. If you have to stand up after the smoke, do it very very slowly or you'll get a head rush and get dizzy.

Room note is strong, still tolerable for those used to having smoke around them. Around here only NC gets negative remarks.

My first try at a big streght tobacco, turned out to be a great ride, though it might be too much for a newbie.

Inquisitor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Inquisitor (155)
Very Strong Extremely Mild Very Full Strong

Co-op Bent Sitter, GH Black Irish X Twist. Attic smoke. Frightening appearance. Glossy black, thick rope. But not harsh at all, though smoke from bowl hits the nose strongly. Very cool, no bite, medium body. One problem: packed very wet, so it was a bit hard to keep lit. If I didn?t know, I would think this was an American VA, like a stoved black (from Yellow) VA. There is evidence of some pretty high nicotine, but b/c smoke is so cool, it sneaks up on you. Early on, pipe went out every 5 puffs or so, so I didn?t get the full idea (and this might have saved me!). But at 4/5 bowl, T is now burning well. Catching some small hints of danger, I set it aside. Synjeco said this burns for a long time, and stopping every 2 to 3 minutes will make it last even longer. If Brown Twist is stronger, it must be a doozie.This smokes great, especially for a tobacco I thought I might not like.

Short DGT. Basil Hayden bourbon, a dog on each side of the couch, beautiful day, attic fan on, watching Jackie Chan in ?Shanghai Noon.? It?s all clicking. As I said, nicotine is pretty strong. But so is strength, though smooth. Has the darkness, strength, of some Latakia blends, perhaps 965. Continues to please, but I find myself thinking of aromatic for next bowl. This might do as well in a smaller pipe.

Near the end now. This is a really nice Tobacco, far exceeding my expectations. The only way it can be so strong is breeding for nicotine. But the quality hasn?t been compromised. Even near the end, with increasingly short lights, the taste is deep and satisfying. The Basil Hayden is actually a perfect complement. High marks, but limited a bit by the high nicotine and ?perception? of strength. Not a classic because not enough variety; though it has all three levels, it is the same (albeit delicious) three levels. Oddly, near the very end, I pick up a Jamaican Jerk fish feel, but in a nice, interesting, exotic comforting way. DAMN good!

(Postlogue: After this, I ordered a sampler of all GH ropes. This was the only one I liked! And still do.)

Colonel Panic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colonel Panic (42)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Extra Strong

Pouch Aroma: Sharp and winey, this is another blend that tickles my nose with sharp, dark richness. It is sweet-smelling but uncased; a mixture of very fine Virginias with Burley added for body and nicotine content. Imagine a heady old Cabernet Sauvignon or well-aged brandy without the fruity components.

Appearance: Simply put, it is a flattened donut shape that is solid, dense and DARK brown/black. No light components at all, just a dense, oily black wad of leaves that have been rolled into a rope, twisted in some sort of cloth and bound with cord, then heated under pressure.

Packing and Lighting: I take my Swiss Army knife and slice off a small piece and rub it out so that I can see individual leaf pieces. I then use the knife to shred and chop these into managable pieces. You can also unwrap the leaves from the twist and do it this way - I doubt it matters much. This packs easily into my old Sasieni Mayfair (second) Saddle Apple that has had nothing but this tobacco smoked in it for the last 10 years or so. The bowl is small (Group 2) since that's all I can take at one time due to the intense nicotine buzz. It feels like I'm really putting a lot of leaf into such a little bowl, but it always draws easily. A pre-match draw on the pipe brings a soft, dark, heavy taste that is sweet without being sugary in the least.

For such a dense and oily tobacco, Black Irish Twist lights quite easily and gives an enormous burst of pure, strong tobacco flavor. No nuances, no subtleties, just a strong smoke. A word of warning: Don't smoke this around others unless they are VERY tolerant of strong tobacco, such as heavy Maduro-wrapped cigars. This stuff will get you thrown out of your house if SWMBO is around. I save it for special moments of deep contemplation, outside under the stars, or while walking late at night. For the right moment however, no other tobacco will do for me.

Exposition: There isn't much to discuss about this, really. It is strong and full, dark and naturally sweet and will knock you on your fanny if you try to smoke it on an empty stomach. In Ireland, I was told, the 'common folk' would chew this for a while and then place the chewed plug on a fence to dry in the sun, whereupon they would smoke it. It's a simple, basic tobacco for moments of contemplation and relaxation. Alone, mostly :)

The Story: This is a perfect outdoor tobacco - if I smoke inside it's easy to get overwhelmed by the density and strength. Also, if accidentally inhaled you WILL choke no matter how long you have smoked cigarettes. It burns smooth and cool and NEVER bites. It maintains its flavor to the bottom better than any other tobacco I've smoked, and if smoked slowly and with a beverage you will definately be relaxed when you finish.

Denoument: At the bottom of the bowl the nicotine level is even higher, but the flavor is still sweet and smooth and the burn is even. This leaves a nice cake - but I haven't tried breaking in a new pipe with it yet. Anyone want to send me a new Ashton to break in with this most English of tobaccos? Hmph, I didn't think so Anyway, this stuff relaxes me so much that I don't think I can type much more. Sweet, strong, clean finish and dry white ash at the bottom of the bowl. A most excellent smoke, but I think I need a nap now.

Pros: Cool-burning, sweet, smooth, thought-provoking (almost hypnotic), consistent flavor, great finish. This is a must for me to keep around, and is great for giving strength and slowing the burn of milder, less flavorful blends. Use sparingly :)

Cons: Nicotine level is high enough to put a novice into a coma. Must be smoked after a good meal (spicy food is best! Yum!) and in a small pipe. Will relax you to the point of near-uselessness, and is guaranteed to offend 99% of the people around you.