Heady Doctrine: The Apostles' Creed Pipe Club Blend For 2013 is comprised of fair portions of red Virginia, dark-fired Kentucky, unsweetened black cavendish and is rounded out with a bit of Cyprian Latakia and a dash of Perique and is pressed into a crumble cake. The flavor is rich and deep with a very pleasing room note. Take heed, however, this one packs a punch. A strong tobacco for strong theology.

Blended ByCornell & Diehl
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Kentucky, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2 Ounce Tin
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Strong
3.7
The Other One Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Other One (1)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

To me, this is what good pipe tobacco ought to be! It's a robust blend with all the strength and flavor I need, minus the bite that often accompanies such blends. It's easily lit and stays lit with minimal effort leaving behind a nice soft white ash. The room note is semi-sweet in an earthy way, like that of a forest at daybreak still shaking off the morning dew. There's a variety of rich, dark flavors that shine through and take me back to that ol' dark woodland hollow I used to retreat to in my youth.

Shiloh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Shiloh (4)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The name says it all. This is a powerful blend for front-porch philosophers, armchair theologians, ponderers and prognosticators. Fuel for the deepest thought. A rich and satisfying smoke.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Trio Sandblasted 95

Purchased From: C&D

JSD Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JSD Piper (1)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Strong

This is an excellent dark, rich, complex, flavorful tobacco. This is a late night with a stiff drink type of tobacco. The latakia is there, but it is not dominant. I'm not much of a latakia man myself, preferring VAs and other non-English non-aromatics. But the latakia plays it's part nicely here and doesn't overwhelm because there are plenty of other bold elements like the dark fired Kentucky and the perique. It's definitely a nicotine hit, so be prepared. All in all I would say that this is a big, bold tobacco that nevertheless retains subtlety and complexity and has many layers of flavor that come out at different points in the course of a bowl. It's like a big, heavy Cabernet Sauvignon. Rich and bold, but still elegant.

Age When Smoked: Less than 6 months

Purchased From: C&D

Deo Duce Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Deo Duce (1)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant

This blend has a delightfully robust flavor with a room note to match. Packs and smokes with ease, even while sipping it slowly. Pair it with a hefty stout and your night will be complete. A truly enjoyable smoke!

friar_jay Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
friar_jay (5)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

Heady Doctrine packs a punch that for me was a little too hard. Personally, I felt the nic-hit in short order and had to fight to get through the bowl. However, after going the twelve rounds with this blend I felt a sense of accomplishment. This is a blend that has grown on me. For me, one of the key joys I get from 'Heady Doctrine' is knowing that it's the Apostles' Creed Pipe Club's blend...and I'm glad to be a part of that fine group.

redcitytom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
redcitytom (1)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I find this to be a relaxing smoke. It has plenty of strength, but not harsh, and a sort of creamy taste, with a campfire aroma. Another plus is that it stays lit good and it's easy to pack and prepare your pipe to smoke. As another reviewer said, the latakia is there, but not overpowering. I think it's just the right amount to compliment the Virginias, Burley, and Perique. The only blend that comes to mind that I would liken it to is Peterson Irish Flake, but it is not near as strong as Irish Flake, to me.

Pipe Used: Chuck Long Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: 6-8 months

Purchased From: Apostles' Creed Pipe Club

Similar Blends: Peterson's Irish Flake, but not as strong..

JRR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JRR (1)
Very Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

As a novice smoker, I received this blend from a friend. I am not a good reviewer but I'll say this: it smells of a hint of smoked meat and campfires. Potent stuff. Not for the faint of heart (or lung).

Age When Smoked: 32