100% pure black Cavendish, created with Herman G. Lane's proprietary steaming process.

BrandCaptain Black

3.2
halpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
halpuff (9)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This new 4 star addition to the Captain Black line of aromatics is absolutely incredible in every way. I'd heard that Captain Black White is the world's biggest selling pipe tobacco.....but I think soon it will be replaced by the new Dark. As Vanilla aromatics go....this one is king. I gave up on aromatics years ago for Va/Per's and had only one aro on the shelf that I went to occasionally and that was Sutliff's Maple Street which has now been replaced by the CB Dark. After drying a little, CB Dark packs well, lights well, and burns well. If dried and packed properly it burns cool in the bowl and with a relight or two will burn to the bottom leaving a fine gray ash. This tobacco is smooooth, absolutely no bite, a wonderful "warm kitchen aroma" of baking in the winter time, a room note of creamy vanilla which actually has a taste in the mouth very similar to what the nose senses, and with no nasty chemical after taste with hints of a clean sweetness remaining in the mouth and on the lips. This is actually an aromatic that comes the closest to tasting like it smells. Plus I sense no Glycol at all. I've smoked practically every vanilla flavored tobacco there is and CB Dark in my opinion is the pinnacle of the Vanilla's. Absolutely SUPERB!!!!!

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (15)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I was surprised at how mild and enjoyable this Cavendish turned out to be. This is one of the best OTCs I have tried yet. I would recommend this to anyone new to smoking a pipe as I am, it is tasty, stays lit, smokes great right to the finish.

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (20)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Free Retail Pouch came in my "goodie box" from Pipes and Cigars on IPSD.

Have enjoyed Capn' Black White occasionally and it is a good tobacco. It's not an all time best seller for nothing. Remember this is made by Lane who brings the world the splendid mildness of 1Q.

This one is absolutely BLACK cavendish and very mild. It has a very gentle sweetness and as with all of their steam pressed tobaccos, you couldn't burn your tongue if you tried. Packed a bit on the light side it smokes richly and the flavor is somewhat fruity to my taste. It is missing the buttery or nutty taste associated with the burly in the regular Capn' White version.

For an OTC, this doesn't seem to be at all "PG" filled. No goop after smoking. No ghosting I can detect. A white ash and a full burn.

The flavor is present throughout and while I would call one of the flavors vanilla, it is very subdued. This ranks very high on the standard, everyday tobacco that you wife and friends will love to smell list. A delightful room note. The actual TOBACCO flavor is almost non existent except as an aftertaste. I mention this because many aromatics of high quality manage to create a tobacco that is mildly flavored. This one is a flavor that is mildly tobaccoed.

Highly recommended for smoking newbies because of NO tongue bite. Also for those who need to please those around them. A good occasional smoke and if it were the only tobacco on earth, I would be satisfied. This one is not likely to make my regular rotation as it just doesn't offer anything that interests me enough to look forward to seeing it again when it comes up on the list. I am most likely to buy and smoke this again on vacation when I run out of tobacco and this is available at the local market.

Most recently smoked in an aromatic loving Bjarne Viking bent billiard.

Pipe Used: Bjarne Viking Bent Billiard

Age When Smoked: New Retail Pouch

Similar Blends: Lane 1Q, Stokkebye Nougat.

Extremely Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This a typical Captain Black remastered and blended without the artificial flavor and with very nice vanilla/caramel aroma, the one thing missing in this blend is the body and the nutty/buttery taste that I like in the CB White, this blend is very similar to Lan BCA,

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - BCA.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (38)

Very black. Very Cavendish. Overall a mild smoke with a very pleasant room note. Nothing overpowering about this blend. The pouch aroma is just as good as any tobacconists' black Cavendish blends. Some vanilla detected, and probably not as much as I would like in my "ideal" VBC blend, but nice nonetheless. No chemical smell at the pouch or at the match. Friendly to smoke in the car and to others in the room. I've been smoking some form of CB off and on since I started pipe smoking over 30 years ago, and this one is by far the best CB has ever offered. Especially at the CB price point, I will definitely be keeping this one in my rotation.

Pipe Used: briar, meerschaum

Similar Blends: McClelland - Bulk Vanilla Black Cavendish.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A very inoffensive smoke. Not a big fan of Captain Black for the most part, enjoy the Royal blended with the Cherry on occasion but not an everyday thing. Am a big fan of the black cavendish tobaccos and this is very good. Nice amount of sweetness, burns well, and no tounge bite. Great smoke for a newbie smoker or an aromatic lover. If they start selling in bulk, will be in my regular rotation. Definately worth a try. IMHO the best of all the Captain Black offerings.

samwell711r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samwell711r (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

For a very long time, I have purchased pipe tobacco either by going online and placing an order or by calling a particular vendor direct and ordering. Long ago simply because of the great variety available I more or less ceased purchasing the OTC tobaccos available. In my youth of course when there was no internet Captain Black White, Borkum Riff and MacBarrens Golden Extra were my staples. Nowadays OTC blends are always qualified by reviewers as being decent smokes "good for their value" In other words it is their relative inexpensiveness that makes them acceptable; the smoking qualities being secondary. Out of curiosity I picked up a pouch of Captain Black Dark to see if it was any good compared to what I usually smoke. I must confess, it was far better than I expected. Mildly sweet, no vanilla or identifiable flavor. Perfect for me in that I have a one hour ten minute comute to work giving me a chance to get a good smoke in. There is a nutty pleasant flavor which I attribute to the Green River Burly. All in all it made the grade to be in my regular rotation. Nothing cheap or second rate about this offering at all. A good delightful smooth smoke. One nice thing. I have smoked about three pouches in several pipes, and in all cases CBD smoked dry and down to ash. Very un aromatic like. Minimal mosture in the pipe stem, but the bowls were all bone dry. As an experiment I re introduced myself to CBW and CBG. Sorry to say I did not enjoy them as much as I used to. But Captain Black Dark is worth a try if you haven't already. Good quality, good stuff.

Pipe Used: Boswell nose warmer/EJHeberling

Age When Smoked: 59

Purchased From: Rebel Smoke Fitchburg

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (78)

...It has been more than thirty years since I bought any Lane's Captain Black tobaccos. Far too sweet, goopy, and too much PPG.

While some of three things reside in this new offering, it does not seem to be so over the top. I have smoked a few ounces of this and it is quite akin to HOW's Argosy Black which I smoked back in the late 60's - early 70's.

My preference is for strong unflavored plug/flake/shag tobaccos, but I do enjoy trying new and different tobaccos when I'm open to experimenting. I'll smoke a few more ounces over the next few weeks and revisit my review to update.

The aroma is very appealing and I tend to smoke this in a group 4-5 size pipe. Worth a try for those who like this type of tobacco or who like me, want to experiment.

...a pipe is to be savored...

UPDATE: After 4 oz. the similarity between Argosy and this tobacco has lessened...some fleeting taste and aroma between the two, otherwise, this tobacco has a taste all its own...

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoke_Ring (158)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Captain Black - Dark (1.5 oz pouch)

Star Rating = 4.00

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 57

Rated Percentage = 95%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, No Bite, delightful Black Cavendish Flavor, this is a delightful smoke

ST Group Lane did a great job with this new release of CB.

This 100% Black CA smells nice, does not bite, does not taste chemical like the other Captain Black I have tried.

It burns beautifully well and burns dry until the end.

Dark opens up a new league for CB, gents. You must try it if you fancy slightly sweet, high quality Black CA.

KudzuKen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KudzuKen (3)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I am smoking my first bowl right now, and so far I like it a lot. In fact, I think I like it better than Capt. Black white. It seems like a cleaner, more natural taste. I am a fan of mild aromatics and that is just what Capt. Black Dark is. Some may think it is too mild, but it is just right for me. For an OTC smoke, it is about the best I have come across. It may well become the most popular of the Capt. Black varieties.

Stilbon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stilbon (9)

When I heard Captain Black had a new flavor out I was quick to hop aboard the legendary schooner and give Dark a whirl. I've tried quite a few of the other CB line and I find the original (white) to be quite pleasant on occasion especially when I'm in the mood for something to appease my sweet tooth. I wasn't really sure what to expect from this new blend as the label describes it as "100% pure black Cavendish" and there were no reviews or opinions about it on the web or in the forums. I'm happy to be the first piper to share my thoughts on this interesting leaf.

For the first time in the CB lineup, the package truly is black true to its namesake. Upon opening the pouch the tobacco is finely cut in ribbons and broken flake. Color is black as midnight, reminiscent of Ramsgate, and smells of raisins and vanilla. The tobacco looks a bit wet and could probably stand some drying. Not sure if it's the casing or just part of the steaming process that makes it this way.

It takes a match easy enough, surprisingly given its moisture level, and burns nice and cool. The taste is a little more subtle than White and not as overtly sweet. I detect a slight licorice taste along with the vanilla. Also, some nutty overtones peaking in and out. Definitely a sweet tobacco and clearly so as aromatics go. Room note is pleasant, quite similar to White and 1Q with that musty vanilla smell.

Overall, a better drugstore blend than most others out there. I didn't experience any bite and I was puffing away pretty steadily. However, there was a bit of wet dottle at the bottom of the bowl, again probably due to the moisture content. A nice middle of the road aromatic that surely won't offend unless you don't dabble in that sort of thing. Honestly, I find a certain charm in the drugstore/OTC blends and the Captain doesn't disappoint with its newest entry. Besides, this hobby encourages trying new blends and experimentation. And at under $5, you could certainly do a lot worse. Happy piping!

old biker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
old biker (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I guess I want my tobacco to taste like tobacco, not saturated with coatings & chemicals. Very pleasant room note-very mild. For me - a nasty after taste with a little tongue bite. I guess I'll keep plenty of ole reliable PA around.

cloudconnect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cloudconnect (10)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Captain Black Dark is supposed to be a pure Cavendish variety and is really only useful if you use it to mix with another over-powering tobacco. I have done this successfully with anything that does not include Perique, just to tone it down a bit. I can't taste any of the toppings while smoking alone unfortunately, but suspect that they must have meant for chocolate and vanilla to be present, cause that's what it smells like. No presence of nicotine detected. Basically just expensive incense.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (86)
Very Mild Extra Strong Mild Overwhelming

In the world of Captain Black tobacco's this and royal are the best IMO. This all black blend is just what was needed to round out the series. This is Lane BCA packaged instead of bulk. I have them side by side and aside from some added PG for transportation and storage have the same texture, appearance, aroma etc. Its a wonderful change of pace from the other CB offerings and I just love the packaging!! Keep up the good work Lane in keeping up with customers requests and modern times. Thanks!

O BTW try blending 50/50 with CB Gold or a burley like Carter Hall for a black and tan / Half and Half or mix 1/4 to a stinky latakia blend so you can smoke in the house or in public and not get complaints, the aroma is that wonderful!

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I just received my sleeve of 6 from pipesandcigars.com and immediately opened a pouch for smoking. The pouch aroma was not that different from many of the black cavendish tobaccos out there. It smelled very similar to the Super Value BC I have on my shelf. The tobacco was jet black, moist, and with what I would describe a riff cut. Loading into a paneled Wessex rusticated billiard, Dark lit very easily and stayed lit, requiring relights only when I needed to put the pipe down to tend to other business. The taste is typical BC and I first thought that it was so similar to Lane's BCA and the Super Value BC, that I said, "What's all the hype?" Well, with slow smoking there is a definite hint of caramel or something similar that I find very appealing along with the typical BC taste. I wouldn't even say the vanilla (if there at all) is prominent. Yes, there is that typical BC sweetness, but Dark is a different animal. It never smoked hot no matter how fast I puffed, nor did it smoke wet. It left no wet, goopy dottle in the bottom of the bowl either. To say the least, I was impressed. I think this is the best BC I have ever smoked (having started with Tinderbox's Capt Spice). Oh yes, there was no chemical taste to this one either. If there was, it was masked by the sweetness of the tobacco. This sweetness is not cloying - at least not for me. I wouldn't say this will be an everyday smoke for me - although it certainly could be. I'm also going to add some of this to some other blends I smoke that lack sweetness and see what happens. All in all a 4 star smoke and highly recommended. Maybe since Orlik is now producing this for Lane Ltd., this explains the lack of chemical taste. If this is the case, I'm going to get some CB White for revisiting. CB White's chemical taste was a major turn off for me.

UPDATE 6-16-13: I've been smoking a lot of this since my purchase and am really finding it quite good. What I first perceived as caramel I think is not quite right. The mouth taste/ after taste is very buttery and almost honey like in some way, but not really honey. Almost like the carmelized crust of a struddle without the fruit taste and without actual caramel. I've never quite remembered having tasted anything like that in a pipe tobacco. Really, very good.