100% pure black cavendish, created with Herman G. Lane's proprietary steaming process.

BrandLane Limited

3.2
halpuff Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
halpuff (11)
Mild Strong Mild Very Pleasant

This new 4 star addition to the Captain Black line of aromatics is absolutely incredible in every way. I'd heard that Captain Black White is the world's biggest selling pipe tobacco.....but I think soon it will be replaced by the new Dark. As Vanilla aromatics go....this one is king. I gave up on aromatics years ago for Va/Per's and had only one aro on the shelf that I went to occasionally and that was Sutliff's Maple Street which has now been replaced by the CB Dark. After drying a little, CB Dark packs well, lights well, and burns well. If dried and packed properly it burns cool in the bowl and with a relight or two will burn to the bottom leaving a fine gray ash. This tobacco is smooooth, absolutely no bite, a wonderful "warm kitchen aroma" of baking in the winter time, a room note of creamy vanilla which actually has a taste in the mouth very similar to what the nose senses, and with no nasty chemical after taste with hints of a clean sweetness remaining in the mouth and on the lips. This is actually an aromatic that comes the closest to tasting like it smells. Plus I sense no Glycol at all. I've smoked practically every vanilla flavored tobacco there is and CB Dark in my opinion is the pinnacle of the Vanilla's. Absolutely SUPERB!!!!!

82piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
82piper (8)
Extremely Mild Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Captain Black regular was the first tobacco I ever smoked. It didn't have much flavor, but It had a delicious tin aroma and others were hypnotized by the smoke aroma. I just wished that it tasted like it smelled. A little over 30 years later, I've gotten my wish!! CB Dark! This is IT! This is what Captain Black was always supposed to taste like and as an added bonus, unlike most aromatics I've smoked that were sweet for the first few puffs only, this one maintains its flavor to bottom bowl!

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (30)
Very Mild Mild Medium Very Pleasant

Free Retail Pouch came in my "goodie box" from Pipes and Cigars on IPSD.

Have enjoyed Capn' Black White occasionally and it is a good tobacco. It's not an all time best seller for nothing. Remember this is made by Lane who brings the world the splendid mildness of 1Q.

This one is absolutely BLACK cavendish and very mild. It has a very gentle sweetness and as with all of their steam pressed tobaccos, you couldn't burn your tongue if you tried. Packed a bit on the light side it smokes richly and the flavor is somewhat fruity to my taste. It is missing the buttery or nutty taste associated with the burly in the regular Capn' White version.

For an OTC, this doesn't seem to be at all "PG" filled. No goop after smoking. No ghosting I can detect. A white ash and a full burn.

The flavor is present throughout and while I would call one of the flavors vanilla, it is very subdued. This ranks very high on the standard, everyday tobacco that you wife and friends will love to smell list. A delightful room note. The actual TOBACCO flavor is almost non existent except as an aftertaste. I mention this because many aromatics of high quality manage to create a tobacco that is mildly flavored. This one is a flavor that is mildly tobaccoed.

Highly recommended for smoking newbies because of NO tongue bite. Also for those who need to please those around them. A good occasional smoke and if it were the only tobacco on earth, I would be satisfied. This one is not likely to make my regular rotation as it just doesn't offer anything that interests me enough to look forward to seeing it again when it comes up on the list. I am most likely to buy and smoke this again on vacation when I run out of tobacco and this is available at the local market.

Most recently smoked in an aromatic loving Bjarne Viking bent billiard.

Pipe Used: Bjarne Viking Bent Billiard

Age When Smoked: New Retail Pouch

Similar Blends: Lane 1Q, Stokkebye Nougat.

Sunday Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sunday (18)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

I was surprised at how mild and enjoyable this Cavendish turned out to be. This is one of the best OTCs I have tried yet. I would recommend this to anyone new to smoking a pipe as I am, it is tasty, stays lit, smokes great right to the finish.

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (76)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Very Pleasant

NOTE: I already posted this review under STG-Captain Black. This is good. This is really good. This baccy is so rich and the smoke so thick, it is a delight to smoke. The tin note is great, with a hint of vanilla, and the aroma is fabulous (though I really don't get the vanilla in the aroma).

This ain't an OTC, though. First, I never see it in a Walgreen or such though I get around a lot, and second, it is an exceptional black cav -- fully up there with PS #7 Dansk Black and Lane's BCA. That is, even if you find this in a Target or whatever, don't be deceived; this is damn good stuff. Note that Lane makes CB Dark, so the similarity to BCA is striking, but somehow not quite identical. But close, friends, close; and some may feel that it is identical. I can smoke this anytime, anywhere. For after dinner, though, something heartier with a stronger tobacco taste might be called for. While I don't really get tired of CBD, I do hanker for stronger tobacco taste after a while. Though an aromatic, any toppings are refined, not too forward.

A 1-year tin or jar nap would do wonders for this blend.

I would rate this about a 3.5-3.7. I get a good tobacco taste, though much more tobacco flavor would be appreciated. In fact, more tobacco flavor would make it a solid 4 for this country boy. As you can probably tell, I do like black cav. And I get no tongue bite from it, but see the tip below.

TIP: dry out your CBD for at least a 1/2 hour before packing, which will cut down on dottle and PG.

Pipe Used: Preben Holm

Similar Blends: Lane - BCA, Peter Stokkebye - #47 Dansk Black.

Hunter Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hunter (51)

Very black. Very Cavendish. Overall a mild smoke with a very pleasant room note. Nothing overpowering about this blend. The pouch aroma is just as good as any tobacconists' black Cavendish blends. Some vanilla detected, and probably not as much as I would like in my "ideal" VBC blend, but nice nonetheless. No chemical smell at the pouch or at the match. Friendly to smoke in the car and to others in the room. I've been smoking some form of CB off and on since I started pipe smoking over 30 years ago, and this one is by far the best CB has ever offered. Especially at the CB price point, I will definitely be keeping this one in my rotation.

Pipe Used: briar, meerschaum

Similar Blends: McClelland - Bulk Vanilla Black Cavendish.

Taylor3006 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taylor3006 (47)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A very inoffensive smoke. Not a big fan of Captain Black for the most part, enjoy the Royal blended with the Cherry on occasion but not an everyday thing. Am a big fan of the black cavendish tobaccos and this is very good. Nice amount of sweetness, burns well, and no tounge bite. Great smoke for a newbie smoker or an aromatic lover. If they start selling in bulk, will be in my regular rotation. Definately worth a try. IMHO the best of all the Captain Black offerings.

Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Very Mild Very Pleasant

Puchased a pouch from my local B&M today along with another tin of Virginia Woods. The thing I love about my B&M is that every tin I purchase there is from the early 2000's so seeing fresh pouches of Captain Black sitting on the counter today was an eye opener. While I want my Virginias to be well aged, I want my aromatics to be fresh as can be so since he just got these in the last couple of weeks I was delighted to be able to smoke fresh CBD... Aroma is marshmellow and deep vanilla, taste is maple syrup and butter cream. No bite whatsoever, I mean you can light your pipe on fire with a welder and CBD will not bite but it will also not give you any nicotine satisfaction at all, because of this I will only smoke CBD mixed 50/50 with 5 Brothers or Nightcap or a Gawith rope. Absolutely delightful Black Cavendish and better than the white and on par with Royal, this needs to be available in a large tin. I paid $11 which is absurd for a pouch but I wanted it NOW so I paid the instant gratification price instead of waiting for a delivery... As another reviewer pointed out dump this after half a bowl (or so) otherwise the last half loses its topping and turns a little nasty, better to chuck it and repack..

Purchased From: Tobacco Leaf, Henderson NV

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - BCA, McClelland - Vanilla Black Cavendish, Sutliff Tobacco Company - Black Vanilla.

Extremely Mild Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This a typical Captain Black remastered and blended without the artificial flavor and with very nice vanilla/caramel aroma, the one thing missing in this blend is the body and the nutty/buttery taste that I like in the CB White, this blend is very similar to Lan BCA,

Similar Blends: Lane Limited - BCA.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I just received my sleeve of 6 from pipesandcigars.com and immediately opened a pouch for smoking. The pouch aroma was not that different from many of the black cavendish tobaccos out there. It smelled very similar to the Super Value BC I have on my shelf. The tobacco was jet black, moist, and with what I would describe a riff cut. Loading into a paneled Wessex rusticated billiard, Dark lit very easily and stayed lit, requiring relights only when I needed to put the pipe down to tend to other business. The taste is typical BC and I first thought that it was so similar to Lane's BCA and the Super Value BC, that I said, "What's all the hype?" Well, with slow smoking there is a definite hint of caramel or something similar that I find very appealing along with the typical BC taste. I wouldn't even say the vanilla (if there at all) is prominent. Yes, there is that typical BC sweetness, but Dark is a different animal. It never smoked hot no matter how fast I puffed, nor did it smoke wet. It left no wet, goopy dottle in the bottom of the bowl either. To say the least, I was impressed. I think this is the best BC I have ever smoked (having started with Tinderbox's Capt Spice). Oh yes, there was no chemical taste to this one either. If there was, it was masked by the sweetness of the tobacco. This sweetness is not cloying - at least not for me. I wouldn't say this will be an everyday smoke for me - although it certainly could be. I'm also going to add some of this to some other blends I smoke that lack sweetness and see what happens. All in all a 4 star smoke and highly recommended. Maybe since Orlik is now producing this for Lane Ltd., this explains the lack of chemical taste. If this is the case, I'm going to get some CB White for revisiting. CB White's chemical taste was a major turn off for me.

UPDATE 6-16-13: I've been smoking a lot of this since my purchase and am really finding it quite good. What I first perceived as caramel I think is not quite right. The mouth taste/ after taste is very buttery and almost honey like in some way, but not really honey. Almost like the carmelized crust of a struddle without the fruit taste and without actual caramel. I've never quite remembered having tasted anything like that in a pipe tobacco. Really, very good.

Giovanni Palomino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Giovanni Palomino (21)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Without doubt my favorite of Captain Black that I've tested and my favorite of the aromatics that I smoked until today, its strength is half what makes it a stimulating smoke, pouch aroma is a very interesting prune its flavor is very delicate and you can taste and feel to what smells; which is not very normal in tobacco, which enjoys the scents is not the person who is smoking, but the ones to its around but in this case the smoker enjoys it and his entourage is simply spectacular it would buy it and it would continue buying in fact this is the only one I'm going to buy back knowing that I am in an exploration of mixtures this crept into my favorites. I have now discovered my style of pipe smoker I like the aromatic 100% Black Cavendish that don't burn your mouth and so have been able to perceive in my short experience is that Black Cavendish tobacco helps a lot in the smoke fresacas my second rating for this product is 5.0 points definitely excellent.

Pipe Used: Patriot Corn Cob Pipe

Bassrep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bassrep (25)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

OK, I'm a noob. I've been smoking cigars on and off for 30-35 years. I dabbled with the pipe 40 years ago and never got it burning to my liking. Recently I decided to try it again. I still dig cigars (and have too too many-CAS Cigar Acquisition Syndrome) and I've become equally obsessive with the pipe. I've tried "boutique" brands of all kinds from all of the "Top Rated" and esoteric tobacconists. I have smoked some really excellent tobaccos (keep in mind I dig Mild-Medium, in cigars too and I much prefer Aros-I really don't care for Latakia). I haven't tried any "mass market" tobaccos but I have olfactory memories of my dad's stash in the day Prince Albert, Middleton I remember most. OK Shut UP already. My point: This is probably the most reasonably priced, widely available tobacco I've tried and one of the MOST enjoyable! I guess snob doesn't work with pipe tobacco.

Pipe Used: Brog w/9mm filter

Age When Smoked: Me or the tobacco? HA! Fresh in bulk

Purchased From: Pipes and Tobaccos

Similar Blends: Peter Stokkebye Dansk Black #47.

glenn2586 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
glenn2586 (14)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This tobacco is awesome. Very full of flavor. Alot more flavor then Lane Limited BCA. Very enjoyable tobacco. Very highly recomended. Top notch all the way.

Pipe Used: All different kinds.

Age When Smoked: 2 Months

Purchased From: cigars international

samwell711r Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samwell711r (8)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

For a very long time, I have purchased pipe tobacco either by going online and placing an order or by calling a particular vendor direct and ordering. Long ago simply because of the great variety available I more or less ceased purchasing the OTC tobaccos available. In my youth of course when there was no internet Captain Black White, Borkum Riff and MacBarrens Golden Extra were my staples. Nowadays OTC blends are always qualified by reviewers as being decent smokes "good for their value" In other words it is their relative inexpensiveness that makes them acceptable; the smoking qualities being secondary. Out of curiosity I picked up a pouch of Captain Black Dark to see if it was any good compared to what I usually smoke. I must confess, it was far better than I expected. Mildly sweet, no vanilla or identifiable flavor. Perfect for me in that I have a one hour ten minute comute to work giving me a chance to get a good smoke in. There is a nutty pleasant flavor which I attribute to the Green River Burly. All in all it made the grade to be in my regular rotation. Nothing cheap or second rate about this offering at all. A good delightful smooth smoke. One nice thing. I have smoked about three pouches in several pipes, and in all cases CBD smoked dry and down to ash. Very un aromatic like. Minimal mosture in the pipe stem, but the bowls were all bone dry. As an experiment I re introduced myself to CBW and CBG. Sorry to say I did not enjoy them as much as I used to. But Captain Black Dark is worth a try if you haven't already. Good quality, good stuff.

Pipe Used: Boswell nose warmer/EJHeberling

Age When Smoked: 59

Purchased From: Rebel Smoke Fitchburg

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (128)
Extremely Mild Strong Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'll second what Zombie said. I love Captain Black White, so i thought I would give this a try. It smells great out of the tin and in the room while smoking, but it's just way way too mild for me.

Joaquim Pancho Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joaquim Pancho (7)
Mild Mild to Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

In the bag smell great, like liquor and vanilla, very sweet smell. It comes with a little moist, but this is no problem for me. In the pipe the taste is very mild, pleasant but a little to mild, it burns well and cool, with no bite. For me it worth, at least three stars.

Mr. H.Gilman I have the same problem here in Portugal with the taxes and customs. I have to order small amounts of tobacco, like 100gr per order to see if it pass the customs control withou paying the taxe. All my tobacco I order from 4Noggins and Cup´Ojoes.

Pipe Used: Mario Grandi

Purchased From: 4Noggins

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (39)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I just had to try this after the other reviews. This is not available in Canada as far as I know so I ordered some from Smoking Pipes.

My tobacco preferences are English flakes. Perique and Latakia are on the top of my favorites. When I want a no brainer smoke I go to an aromatic just for a change of pace.

I like the "bag note" for its deliciousness. It's not overpowering and certainly not off-putting. There is no tongue bite at all with this one. The smoke is thick, sweet and the room note is a new favorite for my number one aromatic fan, my bride. She loves the aroma of this one.

Tobacco here in Canada is $35 per pouch thanks to our anti smoking taxes. Smoking Pipes had this on sale for $5 a pouch. Even with exchange it was still obscenely cheaper.

Well worth a try.

Pipe Used: several

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Big Nick Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Nick (73)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I've had this pouch for over a year just sitting around collecting dust, and I finally got an inkling to give it a try. And as the story goes, boy am I glad that I did! I guess I hesitated giving this a try due to my uneventful experience with the original Captain Black White. The White has a fantastic pouch and room note, but falls flat when it come to any actual flavor. That's where the Dark really excels, flavor! It has all the aromatic qualities that Captain Black is famous for, and the flavor to make it real. It is sweet and confectionery in taste as in aroma, but quite short of cloying. It also has a substantial "mouth feel" that is very pleasant, which its older brother very much lacks.

Don't let the whole "pouch", "over the counter" thing fool you on this one. As far as aromatics go, IMHO, this one is a must try!

MrPiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MrPiper (30)
Mild Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

A VERY black steamed Cavendish with a lot of surprises. The first is that despite the appearance of being too moist in the pouch, it smokes remarkably dry and without moisture building in the bowl. Next, the taste is sweet but in a rich and delicious way. Not overpowering at all. CBD also didn't bite when smoked in any pipe and at any pace. Just pleasant over all. Also, a pleasant after taste. Finally, I have never smoked a pure black aromatic that smoked with such character. This line is not a world's best seller for no reason. The folks at Captain Black have done their homework and created yet another well made aromatic that would be a great beginner smoke for its forgiveness and a regular go to smoke for any long time smoker because of its excellent flavor and quality leaf.

For those who love latakia and perique and don't particularly care for aromatics but picked up a sample or a free pouch to try, don't bother to write a review. We know you will not care for CBD. This is an aromatic connoisseur's treat.

My experience is that CBD consistently burns to the bottom of the bowl with minimal re-lighting, produces dense smoke and tastes and smells very nice.

My only downside to this tobacco, and it is true with many such aromatics, is that after about half the bowl is gone, ALL of the flavor is gone. I tend to smoke the bowl about half way down and then dump the remainder. The last half tastes more like cigarette smoke than a rich pipe tobacco. Still, this is a blend that I really enjoyed and would recommend to anyone who enjoys aromatics and values a remarkably good room note.

Pipe Used: Nording

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars . Com

ruffinogold Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ruffinogold (95)

This is basically the same tobacco as Smokers Pride Black Cavendish , which is excellent , though the flavoring s slightly different . If it isn't the same , it's damn close . I'm a big fan of SP BC and I just recently tried the CB Dark . I cracked up when I lit it up ! I thought .. they put SP BC in a pouch and charge double + . It's a good move by Lane . Many more people will smoke it as a Captain Black Blend and others may get turned onto the fact that an all Black Cavendish [ that's done well ] is the coolest bite free smoke in the world ! All I can say is that it's about time .. it's a wonderful Black Cavendish . Many of the all Black Cavendish blends are damn good or better . This Blend isn't better than any other Mildly flavored BC . I'm glad it's getting damn good reviews because now people may try other BC blends , but wouldn't have in the past from all the poo pooing that the Latakia snobs do during BC write ups at review sites like TR . If youre just getting into a BC , after you get them down , try Sutliff Dark Decadence ... it's a mind blower .

Pipe Used: multiple sized briars and an MM Washington

Age When Smoked: fresh pouch

Purchased From: OTC

Similar Blends: It's very similar to many mildly flavored Black Cavendishes and almost identical to SP BC.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (86)

...It has been more than thirty years since I bought any Lane's Captain Black tobaccos. Far too sweet, goopy, and too much PPG.

While some of three things reside in this new offering, it does not seem to be so over the top. I have smoked a few ounces of this and it is quite akin to HOW's Argosy Black which I smoked back in the late 60's - early 70's.

My preference is for strong unflavored plug/flake/shag tobaccos, but I do enjoy trying new and different tobaccos when I'm open to experimenting. I'll smoke a few more ounces over the next few weeks and revisit my review to update.

The aroma is very appealing and I tend to smoke this in a group 4-5 size pipe. Worth a try for those who like this type of tobacco or who like me, want to experiment.

...a pipe is to be savored...

UPDATE: After 4 oz. the similarity between Argosy and this tobacco has lessened...some fleeting taste and aroma between the two, otherwise, this tobacco has a taste all its own...

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoke_Ring (158)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Captain Black - Dark (1.5 oz pouch)

Star Rating = 4.00

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 57

Rated Percentage = 95%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, No Bite, delightful Black Cavendish Flavor, this is a delightful smoke

atomicbuster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
atomicbuster (44)
Very Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

The taste I get is licorice. It's very pleasant. As with many aromatics, the bite depends on how you puff and how long you let it dry before you smoke it. Good burn qualities, lights easy and stays lit a good while. It causes my mouth to water, which may contribute to some slight gurgling. The room note is inoffensive. Is it as good as CB Regular? I think it will be fair to say after I've smoked as many pouches of this as the Regular. But it's a contender. For me it's definitely better than the Premium Editions.

wintermute Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wintermute (53)

For those that think this is BCA packaged and sold under a new name, you would be wrong. They are both black aromatics and both made by Lane Limited, but Captain Black Dark lacks the sweetness of BCA. Both have great room aroma, but the wife says that she definitely prefers BCA over the dark. I prefer the dark, but not by much. Out of all the pouches this one is the best I have smoked. It lights well and burns a little fast, but the flavor lasts all the way to the bottom of the bowl. The smoke is nice, but not thick. There is no bite for those that know how to smoke aromatics; slow and steady is the ticket here. If you want a great black aromatic that won't break the bank, this is the best of the Captain Black line. But like I have said in other reviews, you cannot find this in a drugstore any more and I really doubt that people will order this online with all the other selections at their finger tips. I say pick up a pouch of this stuff which would have taken the drugstore tobaccos by storm if they were still there. It just came along a little late in the game. I hope it can find a place and stay around.

Pipe Used: briar churchwarden, corn cob

Similar Blends: BCA, , E. A. Carey's Classic Black Aromatic.

Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Pleasant

With nothing but 4 star ratings how could I pass this one up? Well, I wish I had because I'm gonna have to break that streak. The flavor is nice, but too mild for me to enjoy. Might be the fault of my 60 year old, jaded taste buds, might not be. All I know is I can barely taste it. What I can taste is pleasant and I'm sure if you enjoy mildness more than I you'll like this blend. Not for me though.

Mild in body. Very mild in flavor. Burns well. Burns cool. No bite. No harshness.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Sentul Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sentul (12)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Nothing much to say about this tobacco apart from it smells absolutely lovely in the pack but isn't worth the match to light it.

Terrible stuff in my opinion and best used in a pot pouri bowl than a pipe bowl.

Meerschaumer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Meerschaumer (7)

This is a typical offering of the standard we have come to expect from the Capt. Black brand: a richly-flavoured, highly-fragrant blend which is the stuff most novices think pipe smoking is all about. Open the pouch and the contents are almost wet, rather than slightly moist, and it could be that 'Dark' might benefit from a little air-time to dry out before smoking. As with all the Capt. Black range, this is not one for 'English-blend' purists, (who would probably rather stick pins in their eyes than be forced to smoke a bowl!) but I'm more than happy to include it in my smoking choices.

Pipe Used: Meerschaum 9mm filter & gauze in bowl.

Purchased From: tobaccoonline.co.uk

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (76)
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This ain't an OTC, though. First, I never see it in a Walgreen or such though I get around a lot, and second, it is an exceptional black cav -- fully up there with PS #7 Dansk Black and Lane's BCA. That is, even if you find this in a Target or whatever, don't be deceived; this is damn good stuff. Note that Lane makes CB Dark, so the similarity to BCA is striking, but somehow not quite identical. But close, friends, close. I can smoke this anytime, anywhere. For after dinner, though, something heartier with a stronger tobacco taste might be called for. While I don't really get tired of CBD, I do hanker for stronger tobacco taste after a while. Though an aromatic, any toppings are refined, not too forward.

A 1-year tin or jar nap would do wonders for this blend.

I would rate this about a 3.5-3.7. I get a good tobacco taste, though much more tobacco flavor would be appreciated. In fact, more tobacco flavor would make it a solid 4 for this country boy. As you can tell, I do like black cav. And I get no tongue bite from it, but see the tip below.

Pipe Used: Preben Holm

Similar Blends: Lane BCA (Lane also makes CB Dark), P.Stokkebye #7 Dansk Black.

old biker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
old biker (4)
Mild to Medium Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I guess I want my tobacco to taste like tobacco, not saturated with coatings & chemicals. Very pleasant room note-very mild. For me - a nasty after taste with a little tongue bite. I guess I'll keep plenty of ole reliable PA around.

Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

In the world of Captain Black tobacco's this and royal are the best IMO. This all black blend is just what was needed to round out the series. This is Lane BCA packaged instead of bulk. I have them side by side and aside from some added PG for transportation and storage have the same texture, appearance, aroma etc. Its a wonderful change of pace from the other CB offerings and I just love the packaging!! Keep up the good work Lane in keeping up with customers requests and modern times. Thanks!

O BTW try blending 50/50 with CB Gold or a burley like Carter Hall for a black and tan / Half and Half or mix 1/4 to a stinky latakia blend so you can smoke in the house or in public and not get complaints, the aroma is that wonderful!

Pipe Used: Cobs, Basket pipes

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Smoke Shop

Similar Blends: McClelland - Bulk Vanilla Black Cavendish, Lane Limited - BCA.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoke_Ring (158)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Captain Black - Dark (1.5 oz pouch)

Star Rating = 4.00

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 57

Rated Percentage = 95%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, No Bite, has a great Black Cavendish Flavor, this is a delightful all day smoke

Very Mild Extra Strong Mild Overwhelming

ST Group Lane did a great job with this new release of CB.

This 100% Black CA smells nice, does not bite, does not taste chemical like the other Captain Black I have tried.

It burns beautifully well and burns dry until the end.

Dark opens up a new league for CB, gents. You must try it if you fancy slightly sweet, high quality Black CA.

KudzuKen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
KudzuKen (3)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

I am smoking my first bowl right now, and so far I like it a lot. In fact, I think I like it better than Capt. Black white. It seems like a cleaner, more natural taste. I am a fan of mild aromatics and that is just what Capt. Black Dark is. Some may think it is too mild, but it is just right for me. For an OTC smoke, it is about the best I have come across. It may well become the most popular of the Capt. Black varieties.

Stilbon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stilbon (9)

When I heard Captain Black had a new flavor out I was quick to hop aboard the legendary schooner and give Dark a whirl. I've tried quite a few of the other CB line and I find the original (white) to be quite pleasant on occasion especially when I'm in the mood for something to appease my sweet tooth. I wasn't really sure what to expect from this new blend as the label describes it as "100% pure black Cavendish" and there were no reviews or opinions about it on the web or in the forums. I'm happy to be the first piper to share my thoughts on this interesting leaf.

For the first time in the CB lineup, the package truly is black true to its namesake. Upon opening the pouch the tobacco is finely cut in ribbons and broken flake. Color is black as midnight, reminiscent of Ramsgate, and smells of raisins and vanilla. The tobacco looks a bit wet and could probably stand some drying. Not sure if it's the casing or just part of the steaming process that makes it this way.

It takes a match easy enough, surprisingly given its moisture level, and burns nice and cool. The taste is a little more subtle than White and not as overtly sweet. I detect a slight licorice taste along with the vanilla. Also, some nutty overtones peaking in and out. Definitely a sweet tobacco and clearly so as aromatics go. Room note is pleasant, quite similar to White and 1Q with that musty vanilla smell.

Overall, a better drugstore blend than most others out there. I didn't experience any bite and I was puffing away pretty steadily. However, there was a bit of wet dottle at the bottom of the bowl, again probably due to the moisture content. A nice middle of the road aromatic that surely won't offend unless you don't dabble in that sort of thing. Honestly, I find a certain charm in the drugstore/OTC blends and the Captain doesn't disappoint with its newest entry. Besides, this hobby encourages trying new blends and experimentation. And at under $5, you could certainly do a lot worse. Happy piping!

pipesmoker33 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipesmoker33 (9)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Very Pleasant

I recently picked up a pouch of Captain black dark by mistake. I was going for Captain black royal. It wasn't bad, but kind of bland. Didn't detect too much flavor. However a very plesant room note. I bought a pouch of Captain black gold and mixed them together. (Witch is more or less CB Royal). It's best as a blending tobacco.

Pipe Used: Mm cob

Age When Smoked: Fresh from pouch

Purchased From: Seneca smoke shop

Similar Blends: Super value black Cavendish.

Extremely Mild Very Strong Very Mild Pleasant

Captain Black - Captain Black Dark.

I've wanted to try one of the Captain Black's for absolutely ages, ever since I first saw one being reviewed on YouTube. When I finally came across them, along with Sir Walter Raleigh, available to be delivered to the U.K., I jumped at the chance! I normally smoke VaPer and English blends during the day, but enjoy a sweet aromatic after my tea, in the evening. This fits that slot perfectly. If you don't want a strongly flavoured aro', then walk away.

I opened the pouch to find one of the blackest blends I've ever seen. I could tell it's heavily flavoured because, 1: it stinks of vanilla and sugar, and 2: it's wet. But that's all forgiven after an airing and I'm piping it, I enjoy the smoke very much. Although the list of ingredients on here is almost endless, the only extra tastes I can identify are the vanilla, chocolate, and sugar; the vanilla's stronger for the initial part of the smoke, and then it gives way to the chocolate. The flavour of the tobacco isn't much of a surprise, it's a simple Black Cavendish taste; but due to the weight of the topping, the vanilla sweetness gets a little lost/confused with the vanilla from the added flavour. Even though this is cased very strongly, it doesn't bite me, and the temperature's about the coolest ever!

If you pipe for nicotine smoking a bowl of this would be totally pointless: it's got none in it! And finally, the room-note's very false: it would probably suit some non-smokers with its sweetness!

I can see how some folks may feel incensed at a bowl of this, it is after all, a strongly flavoured, simple tasting aromatic! But I think even though it's quite basic, it's been executed well, very well.

A straight-up four star aromatic. High praise from an English/VaPer fan!

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson #03

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes.com

hrgerami@hotmail.com Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hrgerami@hotmail.com (4)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Given the limited choices of pipe tobaccos here in Tehran (Iran), amongst about 20 brands or so, such as Borkum Riff, Colts, Mac Baren, Planta, etc., and having tried some of these aromatics, it was a delight to discover this Captain Black Dark blend as a non-inhaler, and a cigar puffer looking for a change of pace. And recommended it to my brother-in-law who has been smoking (inhaler) Captain Black Round Taste for many years. I believe this CB Dark is the most refined of all CBs. With almost no tongue bite, and a nice and round aroma. And milder in strength than maybe all other CB blends. I had smoked pipes for a few years before and inhaling at the time. My favorite then and the mildest one that I could smoke was Borkum Riff ultra-light. Nowadays after I was told how to smoke cigars and even cigar leaf pipe tobaccos, and getting used to it by not inhaling and getting the same nicotine effects, my preference being mild-medium, by puffing this CB Dark blend, I came to the conclusion that it is definitely mild or light. Very suitable for those looking for a light smoke.

* For non-inhalers, a simple way of making a cigar leaf blend, using Colts American Mixture pipe tobacco, is listed with all the details under Scandinavian Tobacco Group (STG), Colts American Mixture reviews, if someone wished to know.

manxman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
manxman (46)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Unnoticeable

The pouch aroma is plum or prune. This doesn't translate to the taste. Surprisingly strong tobacco flavor for an aromatic. No bite, smokes cool. Slight gurgle. I prefer CB Gold and CB Royal. Two stars. Stays lit .

Pipe Used: Briar, varnished MM cob w filter

Age When Smoked: Fresh from pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: CB Royal.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (183)
Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is the same stuff that "Captain Black Dark", now produced by Skandinavian. This is the same as these:

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5506/lane-limited-captain-black-dark http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/9356/captain-black-dark http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/5505/scandinavian-tobacco-group-stg-captain-black-dark

It is no more produced by Lane. This is a mixture composed mainly by Black Cavendish tobacco. For me,this is good,but no surpasses The Captain Black Royal Blend. the best Lane-Skandinavian Blend

Pipe Used: some, brazilian and imported.

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: many tobacconists

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (183)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Full Very Pleasant

I know this tobacco only now. It is an excellent pure Black Cavendish. Notes of Cocoa, Coffee. Sweat, Mild and slow burning. 3.5 Stars for thei high quality, therefore, i prefer the Captain Black Royal, one of my favorite tobaccos. Attention: This was recently branded by Lane, but now is produced by the Scandinavian Group. This Blend is the same that is described in these links:

Pipe Used: A Parker Large Billiard

Age When Smoked: recently purchased

Purchased From: Tabacaria Nacional, Brazil: http://www.tabacarianacional.com.br/

paulw Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
paulw (49)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I just love it, I reminds me of sweet briar tobacco, It also reminds me of BCA.Great moisture no bite what so ever great vanilla room note smell taste Reminds me of one q reminds me of captain black great black cavendish I love it!

Pipe Used: briar

Purchased From: pipesandcigars

Similar Blends: Capt black, sweet briar, BCA, tinder box capt spice..

cloudconnect Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cloudconnect (10)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

Captain Black Dark is supposed to be a pure Cavendish variety and is really only useful if you use it to mix with another over-powering tobacco. I have done this successfully with anything that does not include Perique, just to tone it down a bit. I can't taste any of the toppings while smoking alone unfortunately, but suspect that they must have meant for chocolate and vanilla to be present, cause that's what it smells like. No presence of nicotine detected. Basically just expensive incense.

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I just received my sleeve of 6 from pipesandcigars.com and immediately opened a pouch for smoking. The pouch aroma was not that different from many of the black cavendish tobaccos out there. It smelled very similar to the Super Value BC I have on my shelf. The tobacco was jet black, moist, and with what I would describe a riff cut. Loading into a paneled Wessex rusticated billiard, Dark lit very easily and stayed lit, requiring relights only when I needed to put the pipe down to tend to other business. The taste is typical BC and I first thought that it was so similar to Lane's BCA and the Super Value BC, that I said, "What's all the hype?" Well, with slow smoking there is a definite hint of caramel or something similar that I find very appealing along with the typical BC taste. I wouldn't even say the vanilla (if there at all) is prominent. Yes, there is that typical BC sweetness, but Dark is a different animal. It never smoked hot no matter how fast I puffed, nor did it smoke wet. It left no wet, goopy dottle in the bottom of the bowl either. To say the least, I was impressed. I think this is the best BC I have ever smoked (having started with Tinderbox's Capt Spice). Oh yes, there was less of a chemical taste to this one than I find with other CBs; perhaps it was masked by the sweetness of the tobacco. This sweetness is not cloying - at least not for me. I wouldn't say this will be an everyday smoke for me - although it certainly could be. I'm also going to add some of this to some other blends I smoke that lack sweetness and see what happens. All in all solidly recommended. Orlik is now producing this for Lane Ltd. and maybe this explains the minimal amount of chemical taste. If this is the case, I'm going to get some CB White for revisiting. CB White's chemical taste was a major turn off for me.

UPDATE 6-16-13: I've been smoking a lot of this since my purchase and am really finding it quite good. What I first perceived as caramel I think is not quite right. The mouth taste/ after taste is very buttery and almost honey like in some way, but not really honey. Almost like the caramelized crust of a strudel without the fruit taste and without actual caramel. I've never quite remembered having tasted anything like that in a pipe tobacco. Really, very good.

Pipe Used: Dr Grabow Meer Lined Bent Pot