As simple as can be, Captain Black is a straight, pure, 100% black Cavendishes aromatic, providing plenty of flavor and sweetness, though with a fuller body as well, thanks to the use of Green River Burley as one of the source leafs involved in the creation of its Cavendish components.

Notes: This is the first new release from Captain Black over the last few decades.

BrandCaptain Black
Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group Lane Ltd
ContentsBlack Cavendish
Packaging1.5 Oz pouch
Strength
Extremely Mild, Mild
Extremely Mild, Very Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
3.8
brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (9)
Mild Very Mild Medium Very Pleasant

This is good. This is really good. This baccy is so rich and the smoke so thick, it is a delight to smoke. The tin note is great, with a hint of vanilla, and the aroma is fabulous (though I really don't get the vanilla in the aroma).

This ain't an OTC, though. First, I never see it in a Walgreen or such though I get around a lot, and second, it is an exceptional black cav -- fully up there with PS #7 Dansk Black and Lane's BCA. That is, even if you find this in a Target or whatever, don't be deceived; this is damn good stuff. Note that Lane makes CB Dark, so the similarity to BCA is striking, but somehow not quite identical. But close, friends, close. I can smoke this anytime, anywhere. For after dinner, though, something heartier with a stronger tobacco taste might be called for. While I don't really get tired of CBD, I do hanker for stronger tobacco taste after a while. Though an aromatic, any toppings are refined, not too forward.

A 1-year tin or jar nap would do wonders for this blend.

I would rate this about a 3.5-3.7. I get a good tobacco taste, though much more tobacco flavor would be appreciated. In fact, more tobacco flavor would make it a solid 4 for this country boy. As you can tell, I do like black cav. And I get no tongue bite from it, but see the tip below.

TIP: dry out your CBD for at least a 1/2 hour before packing, which will cut down on dottle and PG.

Pipe Used: Preben Holm

Similar Blends: Lane BCA (Lane also makes CB Dark), P.Stokkebye #7 Dansk Black.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoke_Ring (158)
Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

Captain Black - Dark (1.5 oz pouch)

Star Rating = 4.00

Burn = 9

After Taste = 9

Raw Score = 57

Rated Percentage = 95%

Comment = Very Smooth, Very Mild, Mellow, No Bite, has a great Black Cavendish Flavor, this is a delightful all day smoke

Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

I just received my sleeve of 6 from pipesandcigars.com and immediately opened a pouch for smoking. The pouch aroma was not that different from many of the black cavendish tobaccos out there. It smelled very similar to the Super Value BC I have on my shelf. The tobacco was jet black, moist, and with what I would describe a riff cut. Loading into a paneled Wessex rusticated billiard, Dark lit very easily and stayed lit, requiring relights only when I needed to put the pipe down to tend to other business. The taste is typical BC and I first thought that it was so similar to Lane's BCA and the Super Value BC, that I said, "What's all the hype?" Well, with slow smoking there is a definite hint of caramel or something similar that I find very appealing along with the typical BC taste. I wouldn't even say the vanilla (if there at all) is prominent. Yes, there is that typical BC sweetness, but Dark is a different animal. It never smoked hot no matter how fast I puffed, nor did it smoke wet. It left no wet, goopy dottle in the bottom of the bowl either. To say the least, I was impressed. I think this is the best BC I have ever smoked (having started with Tinderbox's Capt Spice). Oh yes, there was no chemical taste to this one either. If there was, it was masked by the sweetness of the tobacco. This sweetness is not cloying - at least not for me. I wouldn't say this will be an everyday smoke for me - although it certainly could be. I'm also going to add some of this to some other blends I smoke that lack sweetness and see what happens. All in all a 4 star smoke and highly recommended. Maybe since Orlik is now producing this for Lane Ltd., this explains the lack of chemical taste. If this is the case, I'm going to get some CB White for revisiting. CB White's chemical taste was a major turn off for me.

UPDATE 6-16-13: I've been smoking a lot of this since my purchase and am really finding it quite good. What I first perceived as caramel I think is not quite right. The mouth taste/ after taste is very buttery and almost honey like in some way, but not really honey. Almost like the carmelized crust of a struddle without the fruit taste and without actual caramel. I've never quite remembered having tasted anything like that in a pipe tobacco. Really, very good.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (86)
Extremely Mild Medium to Strong Medium to Full Very Pleasant

In the world of Captain Black tobacco's this and royal are the best IMO. This all black blend is just what was needed to round out the series. This is Lane BCA packaged instead of bulk. I have them side by side and aside from some added PG for transportation and storage have the same texture, appearance, aroma etc. Its a wonderful change of pace from the other CB offerings and I just love the packaging!! Keep up the good work Lane in keeping up with customers requests and modern times. Thanks!

O BTW try blending 50/50 with CB Gold or a burley like Carter Hall for a black and tan / Half and Half or mix 1/4 to a stinky latakia blend so you can smoke in the house or in public and not get complaints, the aroma is that wonderful!

Pipe Used: Cobs, Basket pipes

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Smoke Shop

Similar Blends: McClelland - Bulk Vanilla Black Cavendish, Lane Limited - BCA.