Classic English mixture with a subtle dash of Perique.

BrandFribourg & Treyer
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
2.7
Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (67)

I cannot tell F&T's Wingate and Fox's Dorisco apart by smell, appearance or taste, so I am giving them the same review. This is not to say they are the same tobacco because this might just reflect the limitations of my abilities. What differences, if any, there are between these tobaccos, apart from price (Wingate is about 20% less expensive at time of writing), I will leave to better noses.

Both Wingate and Dorisco seem to be variations on Presbyterian. That is they are a light English mixture of Orientals, Latakia leaf tip and fine Viriginias, to which has been added a generous hit of Perique.

Visually, the tobacco is a short ribbon cut of many colours, from grey green to black. The tin note is predominantly pine needles and a gentle caramel with some spiciness.

This tobacco packs and burns easily. Altho the presence of Perique here has the effect of amplifying everything else in the blend, it is still a well behaved, moderate tobacco.

Latakia predominates from the first light, but unlike Presbyterian, shares the show with the peppery Perique. As the bowl progresses the Perique overtakes the Latakia. Between them some lovely Virginias add sweetness and Orientals add lightness and aroma.

This tobacco won't be for everyone but is a first rate blend in my opinion.

Mild Extremely Mild Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

Historie of F&T

Fribourg & Treyer of 34 Haymarket, London sold snuff and the best quality at that. But, a partnership between a Mr. Fribourg and a Mr. Treyer had never existed. The firm was allegedly started in 1720 by P. Fribourg, although the earliest surviving ledger is dated 1764. It is not clear whether the same P. Fribourg was in control of the shop all those years, or whether more generations had the same initial. According to Evans, the Fribourgs had originally come from Switzerland.

From a tax assessment record of 1767 for the St. Martin in the Field parish, it is certain that a Peter Fribourg was paying taxes for a property in the Haymarket. He retired in 1780 and the shop was taken over by G.A. Treyer who linked the – no doubt well-known and highly esteemed – name of Fribourg to his own.

Gottlieb August Treyer, originally from Germany, had married Martha Evans the same year he took over the snuff shop and was granted naturalisation in 1793. The couple had no children and when they retired in 1803, the daily management was put into the hands of Price Evans, Martha’s brother, during the minority of the three sons of Richard Evans, one of Martha’s other brothers. By 1815, Martha and Gottlieb were both dead and the two nephews George (1786- 1867) and Gottlieb August Treyer (1789-1869) were old enough to manage without their uncle. Later, they were joined by their younger brother Robert Lloyd (±1803-?). This partnership was dissolved in 1858 in favour of the next generation, Gottlieb August Treyer junior (1818-1899), the son of G.A.T. senior, George Arthur Carter (1833-1887), son of George, and Price James Evans (1815-1885), the son of James Evans, a cousin of G.A.T. senior and George. After the death of these three cousins, the firm was then managed by August (1843-1906), son of G.AT. junior, and George (1867-after 1920), the son of G.A.C. Evans. August died in 1906 and the firm became the responsibility of George and August’s son W. Bridgman (1876-after 1920).(4)

Source: G. Evans, The Old Snuff House

to the Mixture:

For me (so far) it was the best of smoked.

Until about 20 years.

There were still about 5 years, where it was just about good, but not more so great. Since 15 years now, this is something completely different mix than before.

description:

Fribourg & Treyer Wingate Mixture

Description before:

A powerful blend of Virginia, Havana, Latakia and Perique-tobaccos. For less experienced smokers perhaps a bit too strong diet For connoisseurs, however, who like a strong English tobacco, it is a smoking experience of a special kind

Today, it is stated: Description Planta: Classic English mixture with a subtle dash of Perique

so it was a 5 Star before - and now a 0,5 star

Pipe Used: Ashton - Dunhill - Castello

Age When Smoked: 1- 12

Purchased From: different

Similar Blends: ****, the old one - a tiny bit to Schürch Mogano.

This review is only based on a four bowl sample for take it for what it's worth. As others have pointed out, this is a sweet and spicy blend. The spice coming from the perique, and the sweet coming from some manually added sweetness as I suspect it isn't coming from the Virginia's alone. There is definitely some strength to this blend, but I wouldn't call it overwhelming. Like all F&T tobaccos, it is of high quality leaf. I am not suggesting that this is in the genre of scented Lakeland tobaccos. But similar to scented blends, assuming the quality underlying tobacco is good, it comes down to whether or not you're a fan of the topping. I don't dislike it, but it isn't interesting enough to buy any tins.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

A delicious light Latakia blend (YES, it has Latakia in it) with Périque.

Perhaps because of the absence of Turkish condimentals, and an expert dose of Périque, this is actually lighter, yet more interesting, than Dunhill's EARLY MORNING. This blend has some depth, and I think all Latakia lovers will enjoy it.

I puffed on this during a jazz evening at the KNITTING FACTORY, and was complimented on its bouquet by several people. Later that week I smoked it while waiting for my love at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, and, upon realising that I had been stood up, I followed it with a bowl of HAMBORGER VEERMASTER. With the palate primped up by WINGATE and some inner tears, VEERMASTER happened to taste particularly sweet and delicious. My pipe, and the breeze on the cherry allée, seemed almost like a consolation.

Contois Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Contois (1)

I found Wingate to be an especially well balanced English blend with lots of complex notes but not too heavy on the biting side. I would recommend this blend as a solid replacement for the original Dunhill's Early Morning blend because it has a bit more zest but still comes across mild and soft. Could easily be an all-day smoke or a punctuated experience if you rotate between pipes and medium bodied cigars during the day. Room note is a distinct Balkan-style Latakia blend but still frangrant somewhat like wood resin incense in heavier blends. Never biting on the tongue. Perique seems to be slight or missing or just a condiment dash but the niccotine charge is still there. Not a particularly thick white smokey experience even mild Latakia blends can produce but manages to satisfy nonetheless. The Virginia's add a nice friendly contrast towards the end of the bowl. Wonder if anyone has ever tried this blend before it went to German production. I would guess it was infinitely stronger. Yet the presently manufactored product is not too soapy like some German reinventions / interpretations can be.

Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My definition of strong means NICOTINE CONTENT. This has a lot of it! A powerful smoke in that regard, yet surprisingly smooth and mellow in another. This is a very UNIQUE English mixture. If you are a fan of MIDNIGHT RIDE by CAO you will absolutely adore this. 3 of 4 stars!

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (70)

All the reviews here say that no flavouring was detected and they are all wrong! There is a sugary and spicy flavour added to this mixture that I find very appealing. I bought my first Wingate about 28 years ago at the F&T shop in London, and my second one only a short while ago. At first I didn't remember the taste from then, it is now made by the ubiqitous K&K but after a few bowls that sweet and spicy taste brought back some of the memories. But it is not as good as the tin I had then I hasten to add. What it is now is a mixture of about 50% of black leaf, and another 50% bright. I don't think all the black leaf is Latakia (or that dash of Perique)so presumably it is black cavendish or some double fermented leaf. Whatever, it still is a lovely sweet and spicy blend that I plan on ordering more of.

f.j.tomas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
f.j.tomas (3)

Fifteen years ago I used to enjoy the then complex Wingate mixture's generous dash of havana tobacco. After changing from cigar to pipe smoking recently, I was disappointed to find the tobacco changed beyond recognition by the new blenders. Now it's a harmless "english" blend strengthened a bit by perique but in no way the original, much more powerful and interesting Wingate of Fribourg & Treyer!

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

Wingate Mixture is not in the Dunhill tradition. If the tin description leads anyone to expect something like Nightcap, a surprise is in store. The Latakia and Perique are expertly applied, not ladled in. I found it to be a complex and interesting mixture for the mornings and afternoons.

I don't remember I've ever smoked something like this one. I can't even identify it in a particular gender: what is it? An English mixture? No, it has no orientals. A VA-PER blend? No, it has a little latakia....I decided to pass this problem by and just smoke it, but I still couldn't understand this blend. The Virginias give it a certain sweetness but don't structure the mix in the body department, the Perique spices it up but doesn't add deepness...why add latakia? To round it up? It seems like an attempt to mix two genders...I don't feel the need for that. As far as smoking in itself, the packing and lighting are easy but the burning is uneven and it's difficult to keep lit. I didn't like it, but I may not be so clever (or too classic) to understand this type of blends.

raz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
raz (16)
Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm no Latakia expert, and not yet a big fan, either, but this one felt quite, quite, quite nice. It was the Perique that brought me to this mixture but it was the Latakia that kept me interested. To a novice, latakia tastes wonderfully cool, entirely different from others. There probably isn't that much of it, but plenty enough for me to get my attention.

Smokes coolly, taste varies interestingly (though I couldn't detect too much of Perique, probably because I kept an eye, err, a tongue on the new Lat taste). This has that desiccating feel on the throat / back of the back of the mouth, and that feels irritating by mid-bowl. A small detraction - and likely to pass when you've adjusted to the mixture.

Overall this is strong, and a "full" smoke, make no mistake about that. It is decidedly masculine. Not so big a smoke as to be bruising but a full-force one nonetheless. If it were stronger, it'd be overpowering. Now it is just a tad below that, and keeps you happily smoking the bowl, enjoying the "English mixture" nuances.

I was left mesmerized by it. Immediately I got an image of smoking this on an African ranch, watching the sun rise, a new day of hunting ahead of me. It could be the smoke, but then again, it could just be the English knit I wore that got my mind wandering. I could also well see this being smoked on a chilly, foggy september morning breeze in the woods, enjoying the camp life, or a break in military exercises. Hmmm, many, many, many images. This is an intriguing mixture, and if you're into Latakia, don't pass it by. That perique is there, too, though I didn't get to that part too much.

Wife rating: "Incense-like, orthodox church."

Overall, it's a good quality smoke. I would definitely need to smoke more before committing to a definite review. Alas, I only have a small sample.