The second in our working man series. Lunchtime Blues is a burley based blend with Virginias and a touch of Orientals. A perfect pick-me-up to get you through those long mid day doldrums.

Blended ByChris Tarler and Keith T.
Blend TypeBurley Based

3.1
Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (70)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Highly recommend, if you like this sort of thing. And I do. I do indeed. Slightly deep notes from the Burley base, sweetness from the VA's and delicious notes from the Oriental, which I think is Turkish. Oddly, my fresh tin opened with an nasty skunky aroma, which then dissipated over the course of a week. What was left is a stellar smoke, truly a delight. There are lots of blends out there that use Turkish as a condimental to play against a VA or less often, a Burley base. This one is a solid addition to the genre. Definitely a 4 star offering from the dependable folks at C & D.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

It’s been quite some time since I have posted a review and, for this, you can all be thankful. But I just have to sing the praises of this great blend. I wholeheartedly agree with the esteemed Blackhorse that the tobaccos in this blend are well-balanced and play off each other very nicely, and I can’t put it any better than he did. But I was not presented with a skunky aroma opening the tin as he did.

Lunchtime Blues is a bright leaf blend that sings in the bowl and stays mellow and sweet all the way to the bottom, unlike many burley based blends that tend to grow harsh, bitter and stronger in their death throes. It has become one of the two blends I CRAVE; the other being LJ Heart Burley. I suspect others who have not rated this tobacco favorably are not fans of burley.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this blend 9.999999 out of 10. (There is no perfect blend.)

plexibass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
plexibass (4)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I dont know what the folks over at C&D do to set themselves so far above the bar with their blends, but I just hope that they keep doing it. I received a generous sample of this from pipe maker & repairer MARK STEWART over at http://www.pipecraft.org. 1st, visually this is a stunning looking tobacco. It looks like it tastes. It smells like it tastes and it tastes like heaven in a bowl! I'll steal this quote from MARK STEWART, but I don't think he will mind: "I have just had the pleasure of smoking 2 of C&D's new "Working Mans Series blends" and cannot overstate how terrific they are. Morning Drive Time is the perfect morning smoke with that initial cup of Coffee or Tea. Lunchtime blues is, without question, a great mid-day pick me up and is the perfect all day smoke. Although I am a great fan of their tobacco, they have really out performed themselves with these 2 blends. Morning Drive for breakfast, Lunchtime Blues for lunch and Crooked Lane for dinner. This is now my daily routine of smoking perfection."

WELL SAID MARK, AND ADVICE WE ALL NEED TO FOLLOW.

periqueguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
periqueguy (43)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

After tasting this I've decided that this blend will be my noon to 7:00pm smoke every day. The burley base coupled with the natural sweetness of the Virginia and unique, exotic taste of the Oriental makes this an exceptional all day blend.

butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (41)

I smelled an open can of this at Cigar and Tabac. A new can went home with me and I opened it today. Wow! I really enjoyed this one. I had an afternoon pipe full and it was just quite pleasant good tobacco flavor and it burned to a nice bit of dry ash. Some Burley blends are too burley and lack depth this just rounds out and smokes quite nicely. It may become my all day smoke. It even tastes good tonight.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

This is a top-heavy Burley blend and I just don't care much at all for the choice of the Burleys. The blend displays too much bitterness and there’s not enough sweetness from the Virginia element to provide any sort of counter-balance. The taste is a little bit dark and a little bit musky, but overall rather lackluster and uninteresting. The Oriental element may provide a little help around the edges, but it doesn't do much for the body of the smoke. In my view Lunchtime Blues is a blend that is just not terribly polished, but then perhaps this was the intention. My expectations were for something a little more complex and tasty, but there's simply not much here. It's smokeable, but there's nothing that really appeals to my tastes. 1-star only!

rougarou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rougarou (3)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Earthy, nutty and spicy with a bit of sweetness now and then. Lunchtime Blues is a little rough around the edges, but a decent straight-forward smoke nonetheless.

Pipe Used: Joh's freehand

Age When Smoked: 7 mos.

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - 126: Old Joe Krantz.

rintrah Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rintrah (6)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild Tolerable

sample from chicago show 2013. awful stuff. typical unrefined and harsh c&d tobacco. if you like it more power, for me this continues to be a blender to avoid.