Outstanding English-style Mixture with Orientals, Havana, and Brazil.

BrandWellauer & Co
Blend TypeOther
ContentsCigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
CutMixture
CountryCH
Strength
Taste
Mild, Medium to Full, Extra Full
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong, Strong
1.3
Medium None Detected Extra Full Strong

Although the country they operated out of (Switzerland), was known for flavored tobaccos, this brilliant old blending house went against the grain by producing some of the finest English style blends ever produced. And believe it or not Wellauer & Company also was known for its brand of chocolates and other confections. The only way I could get their tobaccos back in the 1980s and early '90s was to swap tobacco with an old Pipe Smokers Ephemeris member who had me send him tobacco he couldn't get there.

I do remember eagerly trying First Choice. My notes indicate the year was 1987 and I wanted to try it because I like Dunhill's Cuba Mix and was told this was similar. It was not. It was, however, one of the few blends with cigar leaf that I ever smoked that actually tasted like a cigar. It was very strong and drowned out the Virginia, Orientals and Latakia. I did not write much else about it in my notes... probably because I passed out from smoking it.

cigarcohiba Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cigarcohiba (30)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable

It is an ok English blend. It does not have the "richness" one would expect from an English blend. The Latakia is the one that seems to be minimal.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Sour is the first word that comes to my mind thinking about this first tin of "First choice" (which is also going to be the last tin). The second word is "cigar". Taste is covered by these cigar leaf, everything is a cigar, latakia disappears, orientals are in the orient, but not in the tin. And finally , this is not broken flake, because leafs are just cut, and no flake.