The challenge in blending in the Scottish tradition is balancing the many different tobaccos necessary so that no one is more dominant than the next. We think we nailed it! Matured Virginia, Latakia, Smyrna, Perique and Black Toasted Cavendish in a harmonious medium bodied blend.

BrandWatch City Cigar
Blended ByErnie Q.
Blend TypeScottish
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Very Strong
Taste
Extra Full
Very Strong
Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (62)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Very Strong

"We think we nailed it!"

I wholeheartedly agree. This came as part of Watch City's English sampler. (Curiously, I don't see it available otherwise on their site.) It was largely an afterthought, as there were other WCC blends I was excited to try, and this one hasn't been reviewed here yet.

Affirming my lack of any expectations whatsoever, the blend is fairly bland visually (various cuts from light to dark brown, with nothing standing out in particular) and in pouch aroma (a complex but very mellow aroma with red Virginia most noticeable). It also arrived noticeably drier than the other blends in the sample; no idea if it had a bit more age, or if that's a distinguishing feature. Whichever the case, it was easy to light and keep lit.

Wow!!! This one's in your face right from the get go. Sharp and pungent when lighting, it immediately reminded me of a cigar (and at times an expensive cigarette; all three made of tobacco, go figure). From there, it's a non-stop ride of beautiful, almost overpowering, pure tobacco flavors accompanied by voluminous, billowy smoke. You get occasional mellow moments between the onslaught of rich, full-strength tobacco flavors, but they're very, very fleeting. I can't think of anything to compare the flavors to besides strong, rich tobacco.

This style isn't my cup of tea at this point in my pipe-smoking career, but there's no way I can ding it for that. The fact that this many tobaccos can play this harmoniously is quite a feat by the blender. Beautifully done. Ernie at Watch City is absolutely killing it!

Similar Blends: The base could be very similar or identical to WCC Americano, with VA and perique added. My guess is that the perique addition is fairly substantial, given the much stronger flavor of this one..