A blend of aged and stoved Virginias.

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Strength
Extremely Mild, Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
2.5
eon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
eon (12)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Unfortunately, Dulcet falls into the category of rather unremarkable McClelland Virginias. Even with proper aging, the taste profile is subdued. It is also quite a featherweight, a quality no doubt exasperated by the years. I am an unapologetic champion of McClelland's blending craft. But with so many other options to choose from, Dulcet fails to impress. Aurora, Boston 1776, and Beacon Extra are all far superior, not to mention infinitely cheaper these days.

Age When Smoked: 16

Similar Blends: Aurora, Beacon, Blackwoods Flake (and Ribbon), McCranie's Red VAs.

Very Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

Stoved and well aged, Dulcet is a nice smoke for those who prefer lighter Virginia flavor. I only smoked a few bowls out of a tin that was sent to me by a friend to review and then took the rest to my local pipe club. Not saying it is an unworthy tobacco for your pipe, it just did not contain enough strength or flavor to keep me interested. Should be outstanding for those who enjoy lighter Virginia fare.

Pipestud

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

My tin of Dulcet is from 1996. It is a mixture of various Virginias and offered the nose the usual McClelland scent. It didn’t smoke as sweet as I would have expected considering the age of the tin. There were only a small number of broken flakes in my tin, with the majority of the tin being ribbon. Dulcet has a nice flavor, but it is subtle and I found myself puffing a little too hard, however it didn’t cause Dulcet to bite. I must admit that there are few McClelland Virginia blends that I am attracted to and I’m not very attracted to this one either. However, I do think that this would be nirvana for lovers of McClelland Virginia blends. It just isn’t for me.

samcoffeeman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
samcoffeeman (33)

If you can find a tin of this, it will be Virginia heaven for you. Of course, any virginia with this much age will be delicious. I was lucky enough to have one bowl of this tobacco, at this time aged near 20 years. The epitome of smooth, rich and sweet virginia.