Indaba is a blend which stands for its own. Medium-strong ready rubbed, as well as dark-fired Virginias, enhanced by some Kentucky for an earthy foundation, contribute to a distinctive taste experience. Sweet and spicy, along with a creamy texture makes this blend a unique treat apart from the everyday !

BrandHU Tobacco
Blended ByHans Wiedemann
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
Packaging100gr. tin
Strength
Taste
Mild to Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

3.8
p120d16y Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
p120d16y (4)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

For me it's kind of hard to put a flavor profile on this other than a very great, slightly spicy and sweet Virginia with some stronger Kentucky. The flavor is curious. It nearly reminds me of a touch of mesquite barbeque, and I know that sounds strange, but this tobacco blend is superb. Great burn rate, great relaxing tobacco for ending an evening. I would rate it mild-medium on nicotine levels, so it might only be a pinch of Kentucky. Gets sweeter and a bit more spicy towards middle to end of the bowl.

Pipe Used: medium briar apple, acorn meerschaum

Age When Smoked: maybe a year old

Purchased From: sample from friend

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was gifted about an ounce of this recently, I hadn't heard much about this before so wasn't sure what to expect. The previous HU tobaccos I've tried were of the highest quality, it turns out this one continues in much the same vain.

The aroma in the plastic pouch it came in was nutty and slightly sweet. The nice earthy coloured tobacco has a closer feel to being ready rubbed rather than ribbon, but that's no matter, it packs and lights so easily, the moisture levels are perfect. The nutty taste continues quite mildly into the smoke, there is also hints of the sweetness and something else, maybe it's cream, but I wouldn't swear to it. Very nice. Another plus is that it seems to be a slow burner, I can get 45 minutes from a bowlful where most other tobaccos of the same cut would give 30 minutes, quite a surprise given the cut.

On the whole then, a very good smoke, a little mild perhaps and not wildly exciting but the flavour is nice and the whole experience is a good one. Put against other HU offerings, this perhaps wouldn't be my first choice, though one does wonder how any tobacco can compete with, say, Director's Cut. However, this stuff suffers from the one complaint that all tobaccos suffers from - however much you've got, it's not enough.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (17)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When smoking Inadaba first time, I was puzzled - in a very positive sense. Virginia often presenting itself as having a "hay" alike aroma and Kentucky adding some "cigarish" taste notes - both not being the case in Indaba !

This blend appears somewhat sweetish, but not in the foreground, but rather more spicy, without being overloaded with any of the accents. The obviously well chosen balance of the various leaf results in a nicely balanced "creamy" taste, somewhat reminiscent to caramelized cream, which is almost prone to addiction. Congratulation to this wonderful and unique blend, being far off any "boring" offerings being classified as "Danish"... Indaba is a wonderful treat - 4 Stars !

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

A very high quality rubbed out tobacco of mostly medium brown colour with a very slight aromatic touch that tastes a little like caramel, Bailey's Irish Cream and maybe coconut. It should appeal to those who like Danish mixtures but also appreciate more tobacco and less casing flavour. An excellent tobacco, enjoy!

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The Virginias are richly earthy with a touch of grass and natural citrusy sweetness. There’s a little spiciness from the dark-fired Virginia that blends well with the mild spice and sweet nuttiness from the Kentucky. Overall, the spice content is a little short of medium, so it doesn’t overtake the other flavors. At times, I get a very subtle cocoa note from the Kentucky. While there are more Virginias here than Kentucky, the presence of the latter is obvious in every puff, adding a pleasing complexity. It’s a medium strength broken flake that burns well and cool with a creamy smoothness.

Oracle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Oracle (3)

I must differ somewhat with the previous reviews. This has a spicy taste that sets it apart from most virginia based tobaccos. In my mind this puts it on the medium ++ side of strength and taste level, If you are thinking nicotine for strength then it has no hit for me there at all. But the taste has a special quality that certainly separates it from the run of the mill virginia blends. I found it to be a very enjoyable smoke with a quality that virginia smokers will find unusual but positive. I also found it arrived more like a broken flake than finely rubbed out. Quite a satisfying blend.

Pipe Used: Blatter brandy

Age When Smoked: new from tin dried

Purchased From: gifted

Similar Blends: Hard to say.

Cypressandstar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cypressandstar (14)

I'm not a great expert of kentucky, having smoked maybe three or four different mixtures,but let me say (again as in the case of Hu tobacco) that this mixture is different. Before I even knew what baccys was in,something recall me "The Bankers" (well,the old formula) but Indaba is not so cigarish:it's a classy,elegant and (again) smooth as silk tobacco,with beautiful nutty notes. I've have tried it almost dry,in my trusted old Dunhill group 4 pipe.

jacques1960 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jacques1960 (27)
Medium Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

As noted in other reviews, I am primarily an aromatic smoker. This said, I have become a particular devotee of HU's Dockworker and Tillerman.

Hans kindly included a sample of Indaba with a recent order, which, as with his Sunset blend, I recently sampled in the garden in a Butz-Choquin churchwarden.

Try as I might, I could not get this to bite and now find myself drifting further off of the aromatic path.

The spice notes / peppery finish are compelling and I strongly recommend this, particularly to palates more sophisticated than my own.

The HU blends tend to be very unlike others, and not easily obtained here in the US, although Hans makes it as easy as possible.

Search these out, and I believe that you will definitely be rewarded.