English with Latakia.

Strength
Taste

Rob73 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rob73 (77)

I can't resist certain swiss tobaccos! I have a whack for them! This Latakia mixture is highly balanced, enriched by an uncommon quality of its components. I must also point out the value of this product in relation to its price. 4,5/5 in my personal rating system.

Purchased From: Al Negresco, Ponte Tresa (Switzerland)

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (69)
Medium None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

Another wonderful blend by Wellauer. Creamy, fresh smoke, latakia top quality, but not too much. Reminds me a NightCap with no perique, and with a lower strength. I would say it is an all-day smoke.
Room note is very pleasant too.
I smoke almost all kind of english and balkans, and while most of them are quite similar I can say: this Latakia Mixture by Wellauer is really special. Must be the latakia they use, which is absolutely good. I have always a couple of tins of this in my cellar.

Pipe Used: savinelli champagne

Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Although the country they operated out of (Switzerland), was known for flavored tobaccos, this brilliant old blending house went against the grain by producing some of the finest English style blends ever produced. And believe it or not Wellauer & Company also was known for its brand of chocolates and other confections. The only way I could get their tobaccos back in the 1980s and early '90s was to swap tobacco with an old Pipe Smokers Ephemeris member who had me send him tobacco he couldn't get there.

If you see Latakia Mixture commanding high prices on eBay and elsewhere, it is because the old timers know this one was loaded to the rafters with some of the finest Syrian Latakia ever to hit the market. Soft, yet bold and smoky that complimented the Virginia leaf (pretty special itself), perfectly. It has been many years since I smoked any Wellauer's Latakia Mixture but to this day I still crave another.