A choice blend of golden Virginia tobaccos.

BrandFribourg & Treyer
Blended ByPlanta
Strength
Taste
Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)

In the tin, this has very little aroma other than that of tobacco. My first bowl was right from a freshly opened tin. The tobacco did not appear to be too moist, so what the heck. I gave it a pretty snug pack because the cut is a fine ribbon. It is a little sharpish at the match, not unusual for a Virginia. But it settles down quickly. This is my kind of tobacco. It is natually, sweet, mild and mellow with no bite. It has a pleasant, light Virginia flavor. Even with a firm pack it burns a bit fast, but not hot. There are subtle little flavor changes as the burn moves down the bowl, and the Virginia flavor deepens somewhat. The quality of the tobacco is extraordinary. I cannot decide if a sweetener has been added to this tobacco. It is so sweet and tasty that you might conclude that something must have been added. Yet the smoke is so mild, friendly and biteless that you might decide it must be all natural. If there has been a sweetener added, it was done by a wizard. These F&T tobaccos are first rate. Most highly recommended. Paddy.

Extremely Mild Extremely Mild Very Mild Very Pleasant

I never cease to be amazed at how subjective taste is when it comes to reviewing tobacco blends. My pipe club recently had F&T's Golden Mixture at it's tobacco bar. I had a bowl and was totally delighted despite the fact that the strength is much milder than what I normally gravitate toward.

Golden Mixture burned smooth and cool. In fact, the majority of the puffers in my club said one bowl was just not enough. I can understand why. It lacks punch for veteran smokers who crave a little more muscle in their smokes.

Golden Mixture packs well enough, but was too moist for my tastes, and required a bit of drying. Whereas most "quality" Virginia tobaccos provide layers of flavor as you work your way down the bowl, Golden Mixture remained the same from top to bottom. Different? You bet. I've never smoked anything quite like it.

Dwise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dwise (25)

If you have been in mourning ever since the passing of Elephant & Castle, and their all-Virginia blend "The Roanoke" in particular, be of good cheer: F&T's Golden Mixture _is_ the Roanoke. It is the Ken McConnell blend that McConnell himself replicated for E&C at a time when the original Golden Mixture was not being made. Well, E&C is has been gone these 14 years since Ken McConnell's retirement (alas!), but Golden Mixture is back. Although it is no longer London-made, I am happy to report it has made the transition to Germany with all its qualities intact.

I can actually remember opening my first tin of Roanoke in 1983, being enchanted by its golden ribbons, and finding it so sweet I wondered if it wasn't flavored with honey. Golden Blend makes exactly the same impression. At the start it is light and sweet -- quite possibly the sweetest natural Virginia you will ever taste. The second half of the bowl deepens the flavor to a robust finish. It burns cool and reasonably bite free, but it burns extremely fast.

I recently compared Golden Mixture to a 15-year-old tin of Roanoke; the Roanoke's ribbons were darker, as happens with aging, and possessed a depth and intensity of flavor that comes with age. But other than these improvements, there is no question that these are virtually the same blend. Elephant & Castle is no more, but the Roanoke lives! Now if only Golden Mixture had E&C's wonderful gold-foil label...

DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Very Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

You can no longer buy this in the UK; I used to smoke it it years ago, for the same reason as the previous reviewer: it was Bertrand Russell's lifelong favourite. Gawith & Hoggarth's Broken Scotch Cake is to my mind enough like GM to be a satisfactory sub: see my review of BSC. It's not for the lover of strong flavours, but, on the basis of my own tastes, I'm happy to recommend it. Availability is the problem.

Jakob Kiilerich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jakob Kiilerich (118)
Mild Mild Mild Unnoticeable

This review might be colored by nostalgia and the fact that i owe this blend a favor - big time.

This is the very blend that took me off cigarettes. For many years i smoked Marlboros and Bali Red alongside my pipes. The problem was that I didn't want to smoke my pipe in the morning - I just did not feel like it, but my body craved nicotine nevertheless..

A friend said to me: This is the ultimate "out of the bed-blend", so I gave it a shot in a chalk pipe, to get the rough feel of a cigarette, and it worked.

Now I smoke several other blends in the morning, (in a pipe of course) and Golden Mixture is now better in the evenings, in a briar with a cup of coffee.

Quality leaf, with a light topping - it, somehow, tastes more exclusive than some of its similar blends, and MUCH better than Astley's Elizabethan, which is the closest to this blend; at least of what I have tried before.

Excellent

Jakob Kiilerich, Denmark

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

paddy's review says it all - with the exception that i find it a quite mild smoke, very well suited for the first pipe in the morning. i think this is very pure tobacco. can't detect that tell-tale smell and taste of propylene glycol, only grass- or hay-like, sweetish tobacco with a hint of old books (sic!).

a delightful smoke, and my absolute favourite among the f&t tobaccos which tend to be otherwise very similar.

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I had a large sample of this from Mssrs Davidoff & Co in Madison Ave, who stock all the Fribourg & Treyer blends.

I largely concur with the review above, except to say that it burnt quite cool for me, to a degree surprising for so golden a Virginia. It is very mild and smooth, neither distracting nor boring. A peaceful smoke.

This is the kind of golden Virginia that is often used in "honeydew" aromatics. This one, however, is wholly un-cased, and smokes clean as a whistle. Very pleasant.

hornsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hornsmoker (7)

This tobacco comes in a 50 gram tin and is a beautiful yellow golden brown. It comes fairly dry and didn't require any airing out whatsoever prior to smoking. No detectable flavoring in either the tin or in the pipe. Tin aroma and room note is pretty much non-descript and is all natural. Lights easily and burns fairly rapidly on it's own.

Compares favorably to Mac Baren's Va#1, Butera's Golden Cake, G&H Broken Scotch Cake, Gawith's Med Va, and Lanes's Golden Danish Slices. It's a pretty close cousin to the Broken Scotch Cake - but with a twist. It's somewhat drier than most tinned tobaccos and burns very well right out of the gate. I also think it would be a great mixer with some of the darker tobaccos...and/or possibly with a straight red to spice it up. Now that I got sort of a handle on it, I'll try some experiments.

Golden Mixture is somewhat simple and easy to understand. Either you like it or you don't. It's one of those almost monochromatic tobaccos such as Larsen's Old Belt or Red Ribbon or #5100 or Edgeworth - simple, but somehow manages to keep from being boring. It's relatively light in taste compared to most golden based blends, but may be a good alternative for those who like a golden's smoky / tangy sweetness, but are put off by it's ferocious tendancy to bite.

This tobacco is for intermediate pike smokers or those who have mastered the basics. Beginners should find this blend either taste like hot air or scalds their tongue. The strength is not likely to satisfy the veteran smoker in any other conditions but high heat and humidity. When a lighter all natural tobacco is craved in warmer weather, Golden Mixture fits the bill nicely. Recommended!

NathanPBridle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NathanPBridle (1)

This tobacco should be recommended for no other reason than the great Philosopher Bertrand Russell smoked it for over 70 years.

That connection was the reason I ordered a couple of tins from the United States.

As to what I have made of it- a very stable tobacco, nothing objectionable, easy going and with a pleasant hint of citrus, in smell and clarity of flavour.

When I opened the tin it reminded me somewhat of the first tobacco I ever bought and smoked which was Peterson's Sherlock Holmes. It is not as strong, and certainly lacks the glorius orange flavour, but it is as easy to pack and appears to stay alight without any problem what so ever.

This tobacco is to be recommended to new pipe smokers and those who want a mainstay tobacco. If it is good enough for Earl Russell it is good enough for us.

As a final note, I am curious as to anyone knows where one can order it in the United Kingdom or in Europe. It appears a tad silly to order tins of it from the United States when it is made or at least packed in Germany. It is even more tedious because it used to be sold in tobacconists of the makers name in Oxford, Cambridge and London.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

A very good quality mild virginia, as one would expect from F&T. A very fine cut tobacco, almost the consistency of cigarette tobacco (without wishing to be cruel or derogatory).

As has been noted, an excellent first pipe of the day. Although I myself might prefer a little more taste, of something, almost anything.

This is a nice easy going virginia, smooth and mild, well behaved, but not terribly exciting, this is the first F&T that does not have me looking forward to the next pipe. However, this is one F&T that has me going back to it time and time again when I'm just looking for an inoffensive smoke after a hard day. A good tobacco when I want a smoke while I look over my open tins (and while I'm trying very very hard not to open any more).

Kegworth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kegworth (7)

Nice and mild -- this is a nice easygoing change of pace and is amicable in the home.

Another quality smoke from this blender. Just good tobacco as in all natural light brown and yellow VAs. I enjoy the mild and smooth taste in the hot weather. The intitial moisture content from the tin resulted in some packing experimentation to prevent a hot smoke and multiple relights. Once this was resolved, a smoke with no bite or moisture buildup in the bowl resulted. I actually got better results near the end of the tin when the tobacco was drier. Since its a rather finely cut ribbon blend, it burns very quickly but not hot. For a quick smoke @ work or when out socially it's fine. For a longer and more relaxing smoke, I still prefer a good flake.