The cherry cavendish recipe consists of 50% black cavendish from Africa and the Philippines mixed with 50% virginia from Brazil, Argentina and India. On top of that sweet cherry taste is added. Flavor: Hints of cherry.

Notes: As other Blends from Borkum Riff, this was produced originally by Swedish Match, Sweden, and now is branded by Scandinavian Tobacco Group, Denmark.

BrandBorkum Riff
Mild, Medium, Medium to Strong
Bram Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bram (4)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

This was my first Borkum experience amd second with Danish aromatic blends. The pouch smells of fresh cherries and a subtle hint of sour cherries, and the smoke almost meets the expectations raised by the pouch note.The cherry is very noticeable throughout the first two-thirds of the bowl, giving the smoke a sour and fruity character. My students love it when I smoke this in the yard and have praised the note on various occasions. I do tend to leave the last one-third unsmoked since it turns rather smokey and bitter. All in all, a once-in-a-whiler for me.

Pipe Used: Angelo briar

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch

oldcodger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldcodger (50)

Years ago I smoked Borkum Riff Cherry Cavendish (which has numerous reviews on this board under that title) and did not care for it at all. The only plus I could give it was that it was better than its sibling Borkum Riff Cherry Liqueur. Both had a pleasant room note, but overwhelming artificial cherry taste (plus a hefty note of vanilla), the Cherry Liqueur version obviously having some alcohol, and both smoked wet and goopy.

Noting that Cherry Cavendish is now labeled as Mixture with Cherry Cavendish, and spotting it in a discount tobacco shop, I decided to give it another try. The new version proved significantly better. The tobacco is different. The old Cherry Cavendish was dark fired Kentucky and burley. Mixture with Cherry Cavendish is 50% black cavendish and 50% Virginia. The cherry vanilla flavoring is toned down immensely. The goop factor proved notably less. The room note retained a pleasant nature.

Opening the pouch, the cherry aroma was nice but not overwhelming. As a 50% black cavendish mixture, the tobacco in the pouch is dark. The ribbon cut is similar to that found with all Borkum Riff blends. The moisture level was just slightly too high. The mixture lit easily, with charring light, real light, and only one relight it my first bowl. For the remainder of the pouch the results proved similar.

I used a variety of pipes I reserve for aromatic mixtures, the best proving to be a modestly priced Roma.

I am not a big fan of cherry flavored tobaccos, and thus I have rated this with only two stars. Those who really enjoy cherry flavored mixtures probably need an extra star added to the rating. For me, it was a perfectly satisfying over the counter pouch. I will probably not buy it again soon, but it is certainly not on my avoid list.

Those who avoid aromatics obviously need not try this. For others who include or dote on aromatics in their smoking preferences, it is worth a try. In particular, those who, like me, tried Cherry Cavendish in the past and gave it a thumbs down should see if the pouches which now read Mixture with Cherry Cavendish provide a better smoke for them as well.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Cherry is the star flavor and it has a nice taste, though it does diminish just a little toward the finish. The unsweetened black cavendish is kind of typical for its kind. I do get an occasional taste of some grass and a hint of earth from the Virginia, more so near the finish as the cherry flashes off a little. There's a very slight toastiness present. Needs to be sipped or it can bite. Burns very warm even though the tobacco is a little moist when you open the pouch. Has a decent after taste and a good room note.

Baki Oztepe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Baki Oztepe (10)

A pretty decent aromatic. As a new pipe smoker, I was recommended aromatics for starters, as usual. And this is one of the first I have ever tried. At the time, I was having trouble smoking this as it has a relatively strong smoke and prone to go out, thus the easy to get a tongue bite. But as soon as I learned how to properly pack and smoke it, this became one of my favorite aromatics. The reason being, this is nicely blended and the aroma is not very artificial. When you open the pack it does not smell like perfume but natural cherry flavors. Compared to other cherry blends, I definitely prefer this one. Will definitely buy again.

Pipe Used: Savinelli Standing 606

Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

Borkum Riff- Mixture With Cherry Cavendish. When I first lit this I thought "I'll have to disagree with popular opinion, it's worth a high score as it's a good aromatic". That lasted all but ten puffs. After that the tongue bite kicked in. It's a belligerent son of a b**.

The cherry addition comes over well, not overly strong but very easy to taste. It doesn't have too much of a false note to it which I find many cherry blends have. The cherry is at the perfect weight.

Sadly that's any praise for this harsh blend over with.

I find any decent tobacco flavours are completely redundant. Any sweetness from the Black Cavendish can't compete with the sweet taste from cherries and the Virginia only gives the smoke some body and a touch of N.

Another low point is the temperature. It burns far too hot. This seems to contribute to the fact the bowl is over in a flash.

The room note is alright but sadly that isn't anywhere near enough to redeem this monstrosity from the lowest depths.

Not recommended.

Pipe Used: Peterson Kapp Royal 03

Purchased From: Smoke King

Braed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Braed (11)

This was my first cherry flavoured tobacco. After you open the pouch a sweet cherry smell comes out instantly. The smell is very pleasant. The tobacco is amixture of black cavendish and virginia. It burns slowly and cold. I first smoked the tobacco in a Vauen Classic full bent pipe. Also there is no tongue bit instead. The smoke has a pleasant sweet cherry note. For me it's an average all day tobacco.

ChrisGR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ChrisGR (4)
Medium Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I don't know how to rate this blend. And that because I don't find this one to be a true aromatic. It doesn't smell such one when you smoke it. Also it hasn't any taste worth talking about! It is like blowing hot air from a tobacco that I find medium(to strong). Of course on the pouch it says "with hints of cherry" but when I bought it they said that is full of cherry flavor and aroma which I never found, except the very first time I smoke a bowl where I tasted some hints of cherry and I was left with a very light nice aftertaste.

It came wet as it should be for a nice smoke and it tends to get dry fast in the pouch in contrast to other classic aromatics.

I still dont know how to rate this blend but for sure it isn't the cherry aromatic someone whould expect it to be. There are a lot better aromatics with cherry flavor out there at the same or even lower price tag.

Pipe Used: Briar