Tin has no description except picture of George Washington and the phrase "Greatest American"

Notes: Made by R.J. Reynolds Company, Tin Tax Stamp dated November, 1941. This and the Prince Albert Blends are made by R.J Reynolds Tobaccos. Now, the R. J. Reynolds session of Pipe Tobaccos belongs to the Lane Group, USA

BrandR.J. Reynolds
Manufactured ByR.J. Reynolds
Blend TypeBurley Based
Packaging8-ounce tin, 50 gram pouch
Medium, Medium to Full

It's too bad this hasn't been made in the last forty years. It has a sweet molasses taste reminiscent of Carter Hall, along with some earth and nutty notes, but it's a little stronger than CH with a sharp harshness. I don't believe there's a touch of red Virginia in here, but there's a little tangy note here that is reminiscent of what RV does. It also has a slight spice hit. Burns slowly, but well, leaving no dottle.

brashboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
brashboy (51)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I used to smoke GW back in the late 1960s. I liked it pretty well, probably better than Prince Albert, though PA was easier to find. GW was a nutty Burley with (to me) a better room note than PA, though both were good. Jim's review describes the flavoring as molasses, and I'm thinking that's a fair guess; that is how I remember it (PA, also). It was quite good.

The GW base was -- according to C&D's Bob Runowski -- a dark, rough-cut burley also used in Granger, Blue Boar and many other burley blends. Bob wrote that that leaf became increasingly unavailable in the mid-60s as tastes changed to prefer lighter flavors. Well by God, mine never did.

Lawd, I wish all these old blends like GW, Blue Boar, Edgeworth were still around. I miss them a lot. There are some great, great burleys around now, but the older ones that we've lost had something hard to replicate now.

Pipe Used: Cobs, all I had then