A new addition for Carey, we have introduced a Black Twist for variety, our master blenders have taken African dark fired leaf, which has been cooked and pressed then spun into a twist and cut into circles.

BrandE. A. Carey (Europe)
Blended BySG or GH
CutCurly Cut
Packaging50 gram pouch
Strength
Strong
Taste
Full, Very Full, Overwhelming
Strong
2.7
DrDyson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DrDyson (113)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

This is mighty strong, in both taste and nicotine content. It's pure tobacco, completely untampered with as far as I can tell. It's cool, slow-burning, unexpectedly easy to keep alight, and with the same "burnt steak" flavour that people report finding in the Gawith black twists. A great advantage is that it comes ready sliced: you can have all the characteristics of an old-fashioned twist tobacco without all the fuss of preparation. The big downside is a room note that is truly awful - don't, for heaven's sake, smoke it in the house or the dog will die. I like it a lot as an outdoor "winter" smoke, but I wouldn't smoke it all the time. In hot weather I think such a heavy smoke would be unbearable. This isn't a subtle tobacco by any stretch of the imagination, but you'll enjoy it if you like a strong, slow, tasty smoke. Recommended, but certainly not for the beginner or the lover of subtle flavours. Start off with a small bowl.

Pipe Used: Dr Plumb Billiard

Purchased From: E.A. Carey's mail order site.

Strong Strong Overwhelming Strong

As I requested this, it should read EA CArey's SLICED Black Twist. I ordered this about a year ago along with their No 7 Flake and RR version of the same. SBT came in a 50g pouch with a label that said Made In UK. I assumed that it was either SG or G&H, the only two blenders I know that are capable of this type of tobacco. The content was a rubbed out version of what were coins cut from spun rope as per the web site description . It was jet black and somewhat oily. There was an almost industrial/motor oil type smell with an evanescent sweetness that was way in the background, peeking in and out. Loading and lighting were no problem. However, after the first two puffs I gagged - the first time in 37 years of piping! This stuff is not for me. Its taste was that of steak. Now as much as I enjoy steak, that same taste in the form of pipe tobacco smoke was very abhorrent to me. I could not take another puff. I still have the pouch and content, but do not think I would ever try it again even if it was the last bit of pipe tobacco that I had! Some may, and I am sure will, like it as there are many different tastes out there. However, I can not recommended this one at all.

tpatriarche Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tpatriarche (23)
Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is an exceptional dark-fired tobacco. Both rich and strong, with an earthy aroma. Smokes long and smooth. If Sherlock Holmes hadn't been so cheap, this is what he would have smoked! Highly recommended for the experienced smoker.

Pipe Used: Carey; Falcon