A full bodied, medium to full strength pressed flake. Very complex from start to finish with a well balanced taste that both boldly spicy and subtlety sweet.

BrandFribourg & Treyer
Blended ByPlanta
Blend TypeVirginia Based
FlavoringFruit / Citrus, Vanilla
Strength
Taste

3.4

Flat tinned, light brown-to-golden virginia flake - thin flakes that are easy to rub out or fold. Nice wheaty tin aroma with a hint of sweet casing, a cross between citrus and vanilla. Easy to load and easy to keep lit.

Excellent example of a golden VA. It is a sweet flake, but not overly so and has quite a bit of spiciness as well. The citrus is not overblown as it is in OGS but is present in just the right amount, just to the light side of Dunhill Light Flake. This is a soft smoke, gentle on the palate but with no attendant loss of flavor. And I taste something beside the citrus in here as well, a sort of vanilla creme or hazelnut. It's very light but very present, all down the bowl. Reminds me faintly of a more lightly cased Tordenskold VA. I like that one because it's different but this one is different still, and more to my taste. More of a natural smoke but with some creaminess (a word I don't think I've ever used to describe a VA flake). It's almost an Orange Julius taste but leaning more toward the citrus and less to the cream. Quite enticing. Add to this mix the lightly toasted wheat bread flavor and this is one tasty smoke!

While I was smoking this one, I wasn't focused on its complexity (on the lighter side of that scale) or nicotine content (ditto) or anything other than its flavor, which was nothing short of excellent. This is golden VA at its best - subtly citrusy rather than tasting like it was marinated in lemon/orange sauce. The creaminess was done to perfection. I can hardly wait to crack one of my tins of Cut Blended Plug! This one is a keeper and a simple recommendation to anyone who enjoy straight virginia, with a twist. As someone who strongly favors darker flavors, this blend shows me what can be accomplished on the lighter side of things. Impressive!

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (36)

For me this one is the pinnacle of continental flakes. The very best you'll find outside of England and America.

Broken down, this is an excellent golden Va flake. I rate the tobacco here right up there with SG MVF and Butera Golden Cake. It's a great example of golden Va, full of sunny sweet notes and grassy tobacco goodness.

Like Dan Hamborger Veermaster and Dunhill Flake, this one is cased with citrus. It has much less of the citrus sauce than the other two, which allows it to be much more about the tobacco while still having that great citrus body. Because of the added citrus this one holds up during the cold months, where it wouldn't without it. I can smoke this one year round.

For me this is not only the pinnacle of continental flakes, it's the finest example of a citrus cased Va in existence. A superior, delicious tobacco, one of my top five.

I generally prefer brown Virginias over light Virginias, but I have to say this fine F&T flake fits nicely in my Virginia rotation. This review is based on a well-aged tin. As usual with F&T, the flakes are cut and laid out very evenly in the tin. The scent is heavenly. I have smoked this fully rubbed out, folded and stuffed, and broken into small cubes. I prefer the latter. This blend is sweet, and now aged, it’s very sweet with a reduction in spice. There is a sweet, somewhat citrus like topping, but I find the citrus component very mild. As a point of reference, CVP isn’t close IMO to Orlik Golden Slices in terms of amount of added citrus. To me, this is a much better flake. It doesn’t bite and the flavor builds throughout the bowl, but never becomes strong. The “hay” like flavor seems to become a bit muted with the age of the blend. My only negative with this blend, and its minor, is that it is almost too sweet when aged. For me, that’s saying something because I love the sweetness that comes from aged Virginias.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Appearance: Beautifully cut small flakes, mostly medium brown in color

Aroma: The aroma is well matured Virginia, with a trace of top dressing. Overall, the bouquet reminds me of Capstan Medium Navy Flake.

Packing: Very easy in almos any size pipe. Either a partial rub out, or a ?roll up? worked well, depending on the burn rate desired

Lighting: Not the quickest lighting flake I can recall, but fairly easy A one match light is possible.

Initial flavor: The initial flavor is sweet medium strength Vrginia, quite beguiling and gentle.

Mid-bowl: The tobacco burns cooler than expected unless puffed too quickly. There is a full range of medium to high notes that keep you interested, but don?t stress the tongue or palate.

Finish: Even at the finish, there is no harshness. The ash is medium gray and quite fine.

Summary: This is to me, an excellent all day tobacco that can be smoked either casually or contemplatively. It is rewarding either way.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Very Pleasant

There are two toppings that I really dislike and this has one , "Vanilla". I love vanilla ice cream, cake, candy but not on my tobacco ( I should have read the header under flavoring closer). It smells great to others but it's cloying to me, even in small quantities like in this blend.

The quality of the Virginia is very nice , but I'm so distracted by the Vanilla I can't even give a fair evaluation. If you don't mind Vanilla you should like this , but it's not for me.

Oh, the other topping I hate......" Lakeland Floral"

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: 1 month

O'Confrère Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
O'Confrère (31)

Opening a tin of this flake (from Kohlhase & Kopp) is always a joy. Word is that it is identical with the Ilsted Plug but, as the name says, cut into very attractive, mottled (light, brown and dark brown) slices; the Virginias from Brasil, India and Africa. The strength and room note are on the lighter side of medium.

The tin aroma is enticing with a light fruitiness, most probably from the casing. If it is a top flavoring it has been applied skillfully with a light hand and is more apparent in the tin than on the tongue. It is not an 'aromatic.'

The flakes are a treat to behold, pliable and seem to be a bit moist until one begins to work with them. Rubbing them out, they take to air like a pressed sponge to water, expanding and blooming into a surprising amount of springy and easily workable ribbon. In this form they lend themselves to smoking in larger pipes (as do most of K&K's offerings). However, and herein lies the rub, they respond very well if they are folded once, rubbed/rolled slightly keeping the fibers parallel then placed carefully into the bowl as vertically as possible. CVP seems to respond very differently to the various methods of handling and packing and to the size of pipe chosen. Many will be sympathetic with lustra's contradictory experiences (see below). I certainly am. Still, this works well for me both fully rubbed out in a medium to larger pipe and, less rubbed-out in smaller pipes, and I tend to prefer the latter.

CVP takes to the match and burns very, very well. Keeping the temperature in the pipe low yields an alluring, flavorful and invigorating smoke, leaving a clean and fruity aftertaste with a hint of toasted oats. While this is not a nicotine powerhouse, there is enough to be noticed. It is a great summer pipe, shows its stuff best out of the wind or indoors, and would be a good all-day flake for many a Va. smoker.

If you like Va. flakes, this is definitely one to try. It is also one for the 'cellar'. The tin reviewed is from 2008. CVP ages well.

As this is my first review here, I really want to thank all of the contributors. This site has been a great help over the years. Thank you!

Pipe Used: Several. All reserved for Virginias w/out topping.

Age When Smoked: 4-5 years.

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

A great Virginia flake, very rich in taste, smooth and never bitey.

It burns well (either rubbed out or in larger chunks), slow and regular and requiring few relightings.

It has all the flavour you can wish from a flake: dried plums, apricots, a wonderful sweetness with some tart notes here and there. Never too strong, or getting bitter towards the bottom of the bowl.

Excellent.

lustra Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
lustra (170)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Absolutely superb--sometimes. In a good pipe, smoked slowly, this tobacco is as good as it gets--sometimes.

At the beginning, sometimes, it is mild and fruity, like a nice Chablis. Other times, it is such a slow starter, so light and subtle--and tasteless--that it will make you crazy.

Later on, almost always, it's sweet, tangy, and loaded with flavor--like eating BBQ shrimp at the Jazz Kitchen in Austin, Texas. Smooth, cool, and delicious. But sometimes not. Sometimes it's just a sort of dull medium Virginia of no particular distinction.

In short, this is generally a charming smoke. Occasionally, it can blow your doors off. I've smoked a full tin in a wide variety of pipes--clays, meerschaums, briars of various sizes--and I've experimented a great deal with rubbing it out, and I still haven't found exactly what it is that makes this tobacco work so well when it does. Like a beautiful woman, it has its mysteries.

CVP is a dense tobacco, and it burns slowly for a LONG time. I have gone to smaller bowls when I smoke this blend, simply to avoid smoking the same tobacco for two to three hours.

02-01-2005 A great classic Flake!

Appearance and Tin Aroma: Beautiful presentation! The flakes are stacked neatly and have a beautiful mixture of browns, yellows, and birdseye. It smells like rich hay, similar to Marlin Flake. I stared at the flakes and smelled them for a long time before packing my pipe, such was the quality of this flake.

Packing and Lighting: I prefered to rub out the flakes due to them being a little moist and oily upon opening the tin. Stayed lit well after 2-3 lights.

Initial Flavor: Aaahhh! This is going to be an enjoyable experience. This is a fine Va flake. Very similar to the afore mentioned MF, but not as spicy.

Mid-Bowl: Delicious flavor! Round, mellow, some natural carmel notes. This blend works very well in my Castleford stacked billiard that I have dedicated to Va. blends.

Bottom of Bowl: Please don't end! Alas, it does and all that is left is a fine grey ash. There was a slight build up of strength and a little increase in the spicyness, but never became harsh. It did leave a lot of moisture in the shank though, but nothing a pipe cleaner couldn't handle.

Overall: This is a fine blend. In my rotation, it is right behind MF and ahead of Blackwoods Flake. I wish I had tried this blend a couple of years ago so I could have layed some tins for aging, but this blend is delicious fresh anyway. Due to the flavor richness, I never found myself overpuffing, and becuase of that, tongue-bite was never a problem. Even though I am still primarily a English/Balkan smoker, this blend still satifies. I heartily recommend it!

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 points. Enjoy!

UncleGar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
UncleGar (108)

I had given up on this as an underflavored biter when I happened to grab it to break in a new small bowled pipe. It found its voice. Dios Mio, it downright distracted me with sweetness and flavor never noticed before, right there on the front of my toungue. I put down my work and enjoyed the next half hour slowly puffing and marveling at my oversight. I've been smoking burleys and scottish blends; straight virginias just haven't worked for me... until now.

I listed a flavoring only because I can't believe it can be this tasty unaided. I'd prefer to think it is just pure virginias singing. Those of you with leathery tongues from are-we-not-men harrrr! more latakia and perique! smoking habits will likely miss it. A shame. This is like a lambic ale.

My lesson: before you give up on a tobacco, try a fresh pipe. I've ordered a half dozen cheap factory seconds for this purpose. Looks like cleaning time for the rest.

This is wonderful, sweet! and yes, delightful smoke for the first thing in the morning for me. The small pipe allows a half hour of indulgence, no more, and I'm on my way.

It will likely become a regular and I will update accordingly.

LoisKelly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoisKelly (55)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

Having mastered at least a modicum of smoking technique, I tend to reach for full bodied, full flavored blends that can still provide pleasure when sipped very slowly. So it comes as quite a surprise that I enjoy this blend as much as I do, as it is extremely mild and light.

F&T's CVP is a dead ringer for Capstan Navy Cut Medium, an old guilty pleasure no longer available here. The tin aroma appears identical, and although it lacks the overt sweetness of the Capstan, it does have a lovely sweetness of its own, one that is mild yet persistent. It's cool, clean, and as easy to smoke as any flake.

The word that always come to mind while smoking this blend is "delightful."

Eulenburg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eulenburg (193)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

These F & T virginia flakes have grown on me: I liked them originally, I have come to like them a lot. They are all similar, with gradations of intensity that are not always apparent to my senescent boomer palate, yet their clean-taste smoothness and well-balanced finish are continually good for the soul: these are just about the most civilised "new" [to me] blends I have tried in a while. This one in particular looks especially pretty in the tin. Try them all!

Colonel Panic Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Colonel Panic (42)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

Pouch Aroma: OK, this is nice. It's simple, understated and ever-so-slightly sweet. It's slightly herbal smelling, like walking through a meadow in early fall, and promises to be a subtle smoke.

Appearance: This is pretty! Seven flakes stacked on top of one another in a roughly 1-1/4" by 3" pile. The colors vary from bright yellow (20%), orange-red (60%), dark brown (10%) and black (10%), and the flakes are well-pressed and the colors evenly distributed.

Packing and Lighting: I've picked out an Upshall Lovat, a big ol' stacked pipe with lots of wood that always delivers a cool smoke. Rubbing a couple of flakes out fills the bowl almost to the rim. The first light is VERY smooth and lightly sweet and the smoke is creamy and rich with just a hint of spiciness on my tongue. A relight isn't really necessary as the whole top lit on the first try, but out of habit I tamped lightly to smooth the ash and made a quick pass with the flame.

Exposition: Once the burn is settled in, I'm realizing what I like most about this tobacco - both the flavor and aroma are pure tobacco. I get nothing fruity, nor overtly spicy or exotic; it's a very simple Virginia taste, woody, slightly sweet and very well balanced. It vaguely reminds me of many different smokes I've had, but seems to be lacking a bit in complexity. I like the flavor, I just hope it picks up some more interesting nuances as the bowl progresses...

The Story: I stopped to make lunch for myself and my little one and laid the pipe aside for a half hour or so, and the relight flavor is almost identical to what it was before. Odd indeed. Ok, the sweetness has dropped a notch, but that's it. It's still a pleasant smoke, but I'd be more likely to enjoy it at work where I'm busy helping customers than I am now when I'm searching for subtleties that just aren't there.

A little further along, and about the 2/3 mark, the flavor is picking up some spicy pepper flavors and the sweetness is peeking back out, reminding me of dried figs and dark honey. The aroma is still pure tobacco with a slightly sweet woodsy essence, and a nutty but leathery aroma coming off of the bowl. That's more like it! I still don't find it to be all that compelling, but it most certainly isn't BAD. One thing I can't fault is the burning properties: it lit easily and is burning evenly with very little moisture and very fluffy ashes that show complete combustion.

Denouement: Down at the very bottom of the bowl the flavor is still mostly unchanged. It's gotten a little bit spicy and the sweetness has become darker and richer but that's all. It still tastes good even in the bottom of a tall narrow bowl, which is quite a feat. It doesn't stay lit quite as easily as before, but that's understandable in a bowl this deep.

Pros: It's one of the easiest flakes I've ever smoked and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a beginner as it has a lot of the typical VA flavors without being as difficult to smoke as many others are. It tastes and smells quite natural with no top dressings or added flavors that I can detect and would also be a good all-day smoke.

Cons: It's quite a bit too mild and straightforward for my taste; I like my tobacco to be heavy, complex or both and this, unfortunately, is neither.

A very nice and simple Virginia, mild but tasty, with a very subdued tanginess and a bit of a creamy and toasted flavour. Uncomplicated, smooth, this is a smoke that requires little to no attention at all. A nice companion to work with, I would define this as polite a tobaco as Orlik Golden Sliced, albeit without the Burley edge. But they could be brothers. It is also quite similar to Stokkebye's Navy Cut, without the Perique and much milder.

This may be one of the best introudctions to straight Virginias. It lacks the natural sweetness I have tried in other blends (Bjarne´s Flake de Luxe or Dunhill´s Light Flake), but its toasty and wheaty undertones would surely attract a cigarrette smoker. It is made from quality leaf and it is extremely simple to pack and light. A very good option when in a rush, or to smoke it at work. Nobody seems to mind!

Sykes Wilford Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sykes Wilford (35)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Having enjoyed this in the past, I recently openned a tin that I had been cellaring for some time now (perhaps about a year).

This is a beautiful tobacco-- light, red and dark Virginias intermingle in the thin sliced flake. Mine has darkened slightly with age (I assume it has picked up some sweetness along with it, but I don't remember well enough to say definitively).

The tin aroma is very pleasant. Natural sweetness combined with a fresh mown grass-type smell reminds me of summers outdoors wiht that slight hint of honey suckle in the air-- I love this smell!

The tin description claims that it's full bodied-- it seems pretty mild to me. The blend smokes cleanly and coolly and gently. This would be a fantastic all-day or early morning smoke for the lover of straight Virginias. For me, it is a fantastic change of pace from stronger, richer tobaccos. I wouldn't say that this is particularly complex, but it is very pleasant. It is sweet, but definitely not overwhelmingly so and has a wonderfully 'clean' flavor.

I highly recommend this to almost any smoker-- it's easy to light and keep lit for the newcomer to Virginia flakes, a fantastic mild Virginia in its own right and a superb change of pace tobacco for the lover of stronger Virginias, Va/Perique blends and Latakia blend.

I have but one complaint-- I only cellared one tin...

nitekrawlr Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitekrawlr (26)

I have to agree with DK, and others that rate this tobacco at 4 stars. A great, tasty smoke....rich, smooth taste, with no bite. IMHO, the finest straight Virginia flake to be had. And, apparently quite pleasing to the nose, as my wife said it "smells GREAT." Will be adding a couple of tins to my next order.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (38)

What's not to like here, given one likes mature Va in the first place? The leaf is first rate, as are preparation, presentation, smoking qualities, aroma and taste. Tin note is sweetened, fermented bright VA, with a little just-starting-to-rot hay. I like to fold, roll and gently stuff the beautiful flakes "vertically". Then it lights right away and smokes right down to nothing. There is sugar on my lips at first, and some citrus over the (darkened) bright leaf. It takes on a more concentrated smoky and sour taste down the bowl, which serves this blend like high acidity serves a fine wine. Like a Grand Cru Burgundy in a large glass, the last few sips are the best, as it somehow "opens up", yet with no loss of concentration. The taste is not all over the place, but it is mighty good, with a wonderful aftertaste, and I find it very satisfying, perhaps even worthy of a dedicated pipe, given the "delicacy" of its nuances.

Update, 03-22-14: I just smoked a bowl of this from a jar stashed for well over 1 year. The tobacco was drier than that from a new tin, and IMO the flavor and profile both suffered from want of moisture, as is the case with many "processed" tobaccos. Dried like this, the side notes and nuances were AWOL, and the perfume-ish topping was prominent through the whole smoke; the taste never really "developed". I would only give the dry stuff 2 stars. I will re-hydrate my stash and update again if there's anything more to say.

Update, 05-16-14: Still vaguely in love with the memory/idea of the fresher tobacco, but here and now I guess I'm over it. Call me fickle, but all told, a charitable 3 stars, for old times' sake. Maybe one day I'll learn to mind those additives.

Pipe Used: various briars

Purchased From: Liberty Tobacco

Historyteacher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Historyteacher (2)

I just finished off a four year old tin so this might not correspond to a fresher tin. However, I have smoked CVP for many years and it is very tasty, smooth, and delightful. It is a really wonderful flake at all stages of the aging process. With age, however, this tobacco really sings, as does all aged VAs. When properly aged the flavor is so much more rich. It is really light on the nicotine front and soft enough to smoke all day. A perfect VA!

BingCrosby Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BingCrosby (48)

A lovely virginia flake with a mild flavoring.. what is the flavoring? hard to say.. it is a creamy smoke.. with almost a slight soapiness to it (not quite lakeland strength soap) and possibly something oriental in there as well.. Mellow is the key word for this smoke. I prefer a slightly more pronounced virginia flavor, but really there is nothing to dislike about this flake. It does have a nice progression down the bowl.. gets sweeter at times.. Often compared to capstan.. I wish capstan was available in the US to try them side by side.. A great change of pace from other virginias.

Synthacus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Synthacus (6)

This is one of the great virginias. But it is a basic virginia with a twist. At first I thought it was ghosting from my pipe, but after switching it to several pipes. When first lit there is a very slight taste of english. By mid-bowl it is hard to taste but it is there all the same.

This brings a nice nuance to what could have been an also-ran virginia blend. It takes it to a new place that makes it a must smoke. The flavors of this virginia are subtle and delicate. Tip top taste buds turn this into a great smoking experience.

Taste Buds Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Taste Buds (135)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a lovely looking flake in the tin. Smells great to. Easily rubs out. Much fuller in strength then I anticipated. The nicotene level is more than I can handle. More strength than taste in my opinion. No nuances of flavor. Very one dimensional. I will not smoke this again.

Definitely one of the top Virginias in the market, along with Old Gowrie, FVF, and a couple more. Sweet, complex, hayish... Everything you expect from a great Virginia, and then some.

Came to stay in my regular rotation.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

A very good sliced plug, not as strong and rich as F&T's Cut Blended Plug, but very good all the same.

A very well behaved tobacco, easy to rub out and easy to light, burns down to a nice grey ash with no waste. Unfortunately no longer available in England and has to be procured from overseas. Therefore I tend to smoke it sparingly as a treat.

Crigs Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Crigs (13)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Best if aged a bit after opening. Open the tin and close it back up; let it set about 2 months, making sure it does not dry out, as the moisture level is good out of the can and this will dry out quick if not taken care of. This can be a harsh VA straight after opening - allowing it to breath makes a huge difference. It's a great smoke if handled properly. I don't rub this one out much; folding the flakes and places some loose on top for burning makes this a delightful smoke.

This is only the second F&T blend I have tried, after Negrohead (Blackjack), which I loved. The first bowl did not impress me. It seemed to burn unevenly and smoke airily. I tried a different pipe the next time, and it was much better. Now, as I type this review, I am smoking it fully rubbed out in a small-bowled churchwarden, and am finally becoming aware of this Virginia's merits. The size and color of the flake is like OGS, but the taste is fuller, the flavors more complex. Even though my tin is young, and just opened, I am getting different notes from different smoking rates, a good sign. I think this flake will continue to develop with age. I also have found the results for me are best in this little churchwarden, as it seems to concentrate the "bouquet." Speaking of bouquet, this one is good in (and out of) the nose! Flavor? A solid Virginia flavor. Nothing exotic. Perhaps in ten years...

Steden Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Steden (84)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

First of all thank to Clarkus who has kindly gifted me this excellent tobacco. CVP is an elegant and smooth Virginia with sweet and subtle grassy-nutty notes, light in nicotine and enjoyable all the day. With CVP the keyword is delicacy: If you need the full flavor and strength avoid this one, conversely, if you can appreciate a caressing smoke CVP is for you.

kg0mz Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kg0mz (54)

A robust tobacco aroma in the tin. The flakes are precisely formed, uniform and thin with a tweedy, variegated color. Not too moist, and easily rubbed out. Once lit it was a steady long burn. Impressive. A tad oily at first, a plus. Hearty, not as sweet as FVF. Not at all sugary, but more of a tamarind subdued sweetness. Woody, dry smoldering burn. Natural and pure tobacco. Should perform nicely when folded. I gravitate toward big, bold flavors, peaty scotch, well-hopped ales, Lakeland flavors, but this straight VA hits the spot for me.

07/27/09 UPDATE: I am revising some of my reviews. I have given out more 4 star ratings than anything else. That practice is probably not helping. So, I am reducing CVP to 3 stars, not because I like it less than I did before, but because I am limiting 4 stars to fewer than 25% of all my reviews. One day I may use the 4 star rating to designate my top five.

agedtins Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
agedtins (8)

Great virginia tobacco. One of my favorite straight VA's. Just pure, sweet va. flake. Is it at good as Hal-O-Wind, Full Va Flake, Best Brown and Blackwoods(my other favorite straight VA's)....maybe? They all are a bit different, but all excellent, non-bite-ing and delicious. My advice to the new pipe smoker: sit back, dont rush it, dry out just enough tobacco to fill a bowl (let a flake sit out for 20-45 minutes), rub it out and enjoy. Here is where the novice makes a mistake...they form an opinion after a bowl or two of tobacco. My personal advice is to finish at least a full tin of tobacco prior to moving on. In other words, finish the tin you started prior to trying a new tobacco, smoke 10-20- bowls of the same tobacco prior to subjecting your pallet to a different blend. I used to smoke several blends in a given week...now I concentrate on one blend at a time, it takes a bit longer to experience the hundreds of blends out there, but is is well worth it. Try GL Pease Cumberland exactly that way....probably the best blend on the planet earth without exception.

joseph Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joseph (46)

This is a quality flake tobacco, looks beautiful in the tin. Creamy, pure virginia taste. Nevertheless only 2 stars because there are other Virginia flakes (e.g. from SG, McClelland, Orlik Golden Sliced) which are at least equally good, but much cheaper.

traveler Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
traveler (40)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A good, solid, medium Virginia flake but not one that stands out in a crowded field. I agree with the comparisons to Capstan. If you can't find Capstan in the US, try this and you'll get the idea. I had a bowl of each today to see, and perhaps this one is a bit milder but very similar. I also find a very faint soapiness in mid-bowl with Cut Virginia Plug?not disagreeable, but I would prefer it wasn't there.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)

Having been on a search and destroy mission through the wonderful world of Virginias, I have gone through at least 25 within the last 4 months. Most I have liked.....several I have loved. This one I love. This one has by far the best tin presentation. These frail flakes are a work of art. They are perfectly formed, and perfectly packed. The tin aroma is just sweet Virginia tobacco. I have smoked this blend folded, and well rubbed out. Makes no difference. This blend lights easy, burns great, smokes cool,no re-lights to the bottom of the bowl.The taste........mild, sweet, natural. Just what I have been looking for! My only regret is that I have not found CVP in bulk, but I guess for something this good I will bight the bullit and pony up the cash to stock my cellar. I can't imagine not having this around. It may become a "go to" blend. At least a

mo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mo (79)
Mild to Medium None Detected Medium to Full Tolerable

This is an excellent example of a Virginia blend. This has moved into my top 5 and I will alternate this with Old Gowrie as my morning smoke.

It has that creamy taste that I associate with Virginia blends. It is something I look forward to when cracking open the tin of a new blend and more often than not I am disappointed.

I was really looking forward to trying it and am very happy to report that I am a very satisfied piper. I filled my pipe for the first time and, not expecting much, lit this wonderful weed and smoked the first few puffs while going over some documents. The wonderful taste caught me offguard and I put the paperwork down for a moment and savoured the toe curling, creamy, smooth deliciousness coming from the mouthpiece of my beloved briar.

In no particular order, HOTW, OG, LGF, CVP. These are the reasons I am a piper for life.

Mo, South Africa

Scottgun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Scottgun (11)

This blend made me a confirmed pipe smoker. After abandoning aromatics in search of more flavor, I tried several underwhelming blends and I was beginning to despair and wonder if pipe smoking was for me at all. I thought I would try one more time with a straight Virginia. After reading the positive reviews of it here, and the fact that I was fascinated by flakes and the classy-looking tin, I decided to give Cut Virginia Plug a try.

This was the first tin I'd ever finished except for the four or five bowls I gave to a veteran pipe smoker who loved it. It never bit me and only got hot if I deliberately huffed. You can fold, spindle, or mutilate the flakes or even cram them in like a miniball in a muzzle-loader and still get a decent smoke. I think my most favored packing technique was to roll a section of flake lengthwise, stuff it in and then thoroughly rub out some more and put it on top as kindling.

wosbald Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
wosbald (111)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild Very Pleasant

This is a sweetly scented flake of gold VA and black cavendish tobaccos. Like so many european products, this is a "luxury" blend with top-notch processing and presentation.

The taste is of light and pure gold virginia which is sweetly cased and a top dressed with scenting common to Three Castles cigarettes. There are a few, odd flecks of black cavendish which lend a slightly exaggerated and creamy sweetness.

Cut VA Plug has many virtues: an excellent cut, clean burning properties, and top- quality, unaffected bright VAs. It is "proper" in a non-pejorative sense: elegant, comfortable, and conservative. It worked best in a narrow to medium gauge chamber.

flaminbill' Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
flaminbill' (57)

I used this to break in a "new" 1992 Savinelli POY. I don't know if that was a good idea or not. This has a top dressing that reminds me of licorice of which I am not a fan of.

I have tried it folded and fully rubbed, and I think that I prefer it rubbed out.

My only substantial complaint is that it tastes so good the first half of the bowl but gets quite bitter toward the end. It does burn well, but a nice slow smoking pace is required to get the best from this tobacco.

It is presented well in the tin and does require some drying time.

The tin I smoked was 8 months old. I have one more tin that I will let age for a few more months and see if it mellows out a tad. I will try it in the same pipe because in all fairness, the pipe is not fully broken in as I only smoked 16 bowls through it.

I will report back if the results change.

Nick O'Teen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nick O'Teen (90)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Cut Virginia Plug is a quality, nicely presented Virginia Flake.

Although I enjoy the spiciness of a good VA/Per, the particular spicy flavors of this straight virginia don't sit well on my palate. The spiciness seems artificial and i agree with wosbald that this is topped with something.

Finding the right Virginia is a highly personal pursuit. I can see why others might enjoy this one but it just doesn't float my boat.

I'll gladly finish the tin but see no reason to pay a premium price for this.

1/2

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

I had last smoked this some six years ago while on a fellowship in Oxford, and had liked it immensely. It, along with Balkan Sobranie, was consolation during a bitterly cold and solitary winter. CVP used to come in a tin roughly the size of a MacBaren Navy Flake tin. The new tin is squarer and thinner, and the tobacco is not anymore made in the UK but in Germany. Since transplanting of manufacturing proccesses does not always succeed I opened the tin with some apprehension.

Well, I was very pleasantly surprised. Memories of taste and smell give more than the usual hostages to fortune, but I am convinced that the present incarnation is even better than the original! It ranks with Old Gowrie and Light Flake as among the finest. Now that the latter is reported to be discontinued, there is even more reason to search for stockists of Cut Virginia Plug.

Helmsman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Helmsman (18)

This is pure sweet virginia plug. I find it a bit moist but dries out quickly. It will bite if smoked to fast.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)

After thoroughly enjoying its sister blend, Blackjack, I wanted to give this blend a try. I may never go back to Blackjack.

This is a simply great blend. I love the packaging and flake presentation. Simple, handy, and beautiful. I took about half a flake and rubbed it out to a broken flake consistency and loaded up my pipe. This blend has a great flavor. It is a nice sweet-wood virginia flavor with the occasional fruit and pepper accents. It flavor is clean and refeshing, leaving a delightful finish on the palate. The aroma is a neutral, tobacco aroma. Unoffensive, but may not be appreciated by all. A treasure to try for any Virginia smoker. Get it before I start stockpiling it!

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

This excellent Virginia is a solid favorite... not complex yet a very rich and satisfying smoke. I won't belabor the points already made by previous reviewers as many are right on target.

I do think that this cut plug can serve as an all day, anytime of the day smoke and will smoke well in almost any type and size pipe. I think for me this is one of those few tobaccos that is simply... versatile.

I've smoked this in too many pipes to mention how many and what size and type. Great for the beginning Virginia smoker and for the experienced smoker.

Highly Recommended!

Regards, Peter .........a pipe is to be savored.

pipe dreams Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipe dreams (15)
Medium None Detected Full Tolerable

F&T hit one WAY out of the park with this offering. The perfect tobacco strength in a Virginia, The sweetness of this Virginia is perfectly subtle and natural, making this one of the great tasting straight Virginia's. I highly recommend 'cut va. plug'.

OTRFF Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OTRFF (44)
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

Very good flake! Beautiful out of the tin, perfect pieces of uniform flakes a joy to look at out of the box. Smokes great in any size pipe. I usually just rub it out ever so slightly and put a flake in the pipe, that works real well! Can also be fully rubbed out for smaller bowl pipes. Great natural virginia taste and recommended. would age great!

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (58)

Outstanding taste, texture and aroma. Beautiful flakes cut to perfection. I could smoke this anytime, anywhere. Definately one of my top five Virginas. Too bad it costs a little more than most, or I would have this stocked for the ages.

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

It's been said. This a a good tobacco, indeed, but there are many other VAs that I and my tastebuds like better.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I won't add too much, other than to say this is an excellent middle weight Virginia Flake. Highly recommended!

bigjonburley Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bigjonburley (64)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

I have alot of praise for all blenders that produce tobaccos that ooze quality in their natural state. VA cut plug is dense brick of natural flake, that emits aromas reminiscent of prunes and brown sugar. I love the fact that upon opening of the tin I was able to see that this tobacco was topping and scent free. I have smoked this blend in both a very large Nording and a Peterson rusticated 80s. In both pipes the tobacco preforms like a true VA champ. This sliced flakes are easily rubbed out and, though the tobacco is a bit moist- there is no problem keeping this one lit. I only had to relight twice while using my Nording and the Peterson did not require one at all. The only thing that I have to say about this tobacco in a negative sense is the fact that it is a bit too mild for my taste, in both overall flavor and nicotine. I have become much more partial to tobaccos of the stronger variety. The subtleness of this VA reminds me of an oaky chardonnay, a bit sweet yet dissapears from the palet almost immediately. I like to smoke this tobacco for a change of pace, when I want to have something other than Dark Kentucky or some heavy English blend. If you know someone who wants to get into the world of pipe smoking then this one would be a wonderful choice. Great taste and will never bite.

OSR Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
OSR (71)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

WOW!

This reminds me of the old Imperial Tobacco Capstan Full.

If you want to try a good, hearty, full virginia flake then look no further. Even better than Sam Gawith FVF, this is wonderful tobacco and should age excellently.

I didn't think that virginia flake like this existed anymore.

Briarabbit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Briarabbit (116)
Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

An outstanding Golden Virginia Flake of the highest quality. This is yummy! The flakes are not so pressed together that I can't get them apart. They rub out well,and light easy. I too am reminded of Capstan Blue with this flake tobacco. The sweetness of the leaf,and round whole taste of the Virginia makes this pipe tobacco a real winner.Most highly recomended.

mainspring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
mainspring (27)

Upon opening the tin, a beautiful flake tobacco with a great aroma greets you. I was hoping this would taste as good as it smelled. So often I get my hopes up with a tobacco that "smells" promising but get let down once I begin smoking it. Well guess what? This tobacco delivers! It's a very nice Virginia tobak with a great flavor and aroma - almost a dreamy smoke! If you are a fast puffer, it can get a bit warm but does not bite. There is a nice complexity to it. It lights and burns easily all the way down the bowl. Even the aftertaste is nice. Towards the bottom of the bowl it builds up to a darker and slightly stronger flavor (of course). I enjoyed this tobak until I drew a bit of ash into my mouth! It's a shame this is not available in bulk as it's a bit pricey in the tin. I will be purchasing more of this one. Highly Recommended!

Eldrich Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Eldrich (7)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Note that above it should read: "One of my favorites, I would smoke this regularly if I could". CVP is, alas, not available in my home country, nor through my regular online store, Dan Pipe.

I have so far discovered three excellent virginia flakes: Dunhill Flake, Peterson's University Flake and Hamborger Veermaster. Cut Virginia Plug is even better than they are. It's smooth but never dull, its delicious sweetness is natural, not achieved through chemical additives or casings, and this tobaccos behaves very well at all times: no bite, and a consistent burn.

If I had access to this stuff constantly it would be one of my most smoked tobaccos.

provguy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
provguy (52)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

My first F&T blend. I really like this stuff. Not too comples but has some complexity. Lovely taste and gets a little spicy toward the end. Comes in sheets that are very easily rubbed out. Took 2 lights and I was off. I will keep coming back to this. Next I will try Negrohead(blackjack here in North America). Also an F&T blend. 41/2 stars

Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Tolerable

Although I agree that this is indeed similiar to Capstan Medium, I feel it is inferior due to the lack of consistency. At best it is a nice enough medium VA flake. At its worse it is a bowlful of molten steel. I could really find no rhyme nor reason for this and don't plan on exploring the issue further.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

This tobacco comes in very thin, pliable flakes, easy to rub out into a sort of chopped ribbon cut. The tobacco ranges in color from dark and red Virginia with flashes of bright. It has a very light topping, reminiscent of cooking spices along the lines of Light Flake. Although lighter in appearance than Astley's #44, the smoke is very similar. The smoke is lightly sweetened with a very subdued Virginia taste. This is good quality tobacco and burns smoothly without much tending. There is no bite that I can detect. This is a nice smoke, but I prefer more Virginia flavor and a little less sweetener. This may be a great choice for someone just becoming acqainted with Virginias. This would also be a good smoke if your hands are busy and you want a smooth sweet smoke that will not capture your attention. Not bad. Not great. Paddy. I fear I have been a bit harsh. The more I smoke this the better I like it. I now am careful to smoke it earlier in the day before I have smoked stronger tobaccos. The F&T cut plugs are excellent for a morning smoke or immediately after dinner. Good Virginia flavor, but very subdued.

Very Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant

If I could find this in bulk, it would be one of my regular, all day, straight VA smokes. It is comparitively mild and not too complex, but that is my ideal in an all day smoke. Nicely prepared flakes range from yellow thru red/brown to black. This VA is easy to pack, light and smoke. Burns cool and evenly from start to finish and relights with ease and without any major change in flavor. You can enjoy the experience and not have to worry about packing technique, pipe choice or puffing speed. Sweet flavor from the quality VAs are creamy and smooth. If you enjoy mild, VA flakes, give it a try.

Paul Tatum Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul Tatum (86)

This is a very light tobacco to me . I enjoy it when I want something light to smoke during the day that is easy to put down and will still taste good on relighting after sitting . I sometimes get busy during the day and have to set my pipe down while it's lit and may not return to it for an hour or so .This tobacco responds well to these situations . The flavor is well rounded . The flakes break up easily for packing . The tin aroma is a little spicy . It's certainly a tobacco to try for VA fans .

acoronado Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
acoronado (2)
Mild None Detected Very Full Pleasant

I chose my favorite virginia-only pipe, a Hardcastle prince that hits the zone so well with Christmas Cheer and other straight virginia's.

Upon opening the small 50g tin, the tobacco is true to its plug form, looking like a dense brick of tobacco. A little coaxing yields a three-inch flake, the cutting of the plug was executed very well. I pinched off a few 1/4" pieces for the bottom of the bowl, followed by a barely rubbed-out middle, and finally a finely rubbed out topping to help the charring light.

The first light was tangy and slightly astringent, but without bite. Nothing too eventful until the second light. Holey-Smoley-Canoley! This tobacco is everything a straight virginia should be. There was a musty sweetness kind of like a freshly opened package of graham crackers, with a lingering flavor of white raisins. I hit the zone on this bowl and stayed with it for a long time. There were brief flashes of different flavors that I can not name yet, but it kept me interested all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

Afterwards, my palatte tasted clean and dry, no bad lingering flavors. In fact, I immediately wanted another bowl! This is a really fine virginia, I am stocking up like a madman on this one, I can not wait to see how a few years will improve this blend.