A light red Virginia flake, slightly sweet with natural flavoring.

BrandFribourg & Treyer
Blended ByPlanta
Blend TypeVirginia Based
ContentsUnknown, Virginia
FlavoringFruit / Citrus, Other / Misc
Strength
Extremely Mild
Taste

A hair darker in color than Cut Virginia Plug, with less fruit and no vanilla in the tin nose. I wasn't as taken with this one as I am CVP, but this is still a worthy blend. Some mild spice and the typical grassiness of red virginia but seemed a bit fruity to be a pure red. It leaned to the orange side of red, with very little of red's tanginess. This was earthier than CVP but still a sweet virginia. I preferred this just a bit dryer than CVP, as drying took it's fruitiness down a bit.

Not very high in nicotine and not terribly complex for the most part, it's complexity was subtle and easily missed in various bowls while it seemed more noticeable in others. The flavor had some citrus character but nothing like OGS or Dunhill Flake. But neither was it red red like F&T's Blackjack, a blend I prefer to this one. Orangey, as I mentioned. This is a very good blend that falls well short of greatness but it is definitely worth a try to any virginia lover. Just don't expect miracles right out of the tin. I have a few more tins of this that I plan to age and revisit.

Jacinto Cupboard Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jacinto Cupboard (77)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Loose mid brown flakes with prominent streaks of bright tobacco. Tin note is malt and caramel.

My tin, which I assume to be recent, makes no mention of anything other than Red Virginias. I cannot detect any condimentals in this tobacco.

A little difficult to get started, once underway this tobacco will burn with minimal attendance. It has a largely neutral flavour with some spiciness and a mild sweetness. Occasionally perfumed notes emerge suggestive of DFK, but are too transitory to be convincing. This tobacco burns a little on the hot and wet side, but is not harsh on the tongue.

I'm not sure if I find this tobacco interesting or just confusing. Certainly there is enough happening to warrant return visits, but it would never be a part of my regular rotation. Somewhere between two and three stars if I'm honest.

Pipe Used: Lepeltier

Similar Blends: McConnell Scottish Flake.

Amsteracqua Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Amsteracqua (17)
Very Mild None Detected Mild Very Pleasant

I used my official pipe for flakes national Finamore , affectionately nicknamed " Old War " , as it was my first pipe, and light it with matches ...

About this good tobacco , one flake , I can say that is the main recommendation to beginners in this format , because as " Dunhill Flake B " is said pretty much the same if not lower in all attributes than the old Light Flake , which does not disqualifies . It is tasty without exaggeration, is smooth and I recommend to beginners mainly because the more experienced prefer Dunhill, and potent Full Virginia Flake . A positive point to note is that it does not heat the bowl which in these days of heat is an advantage , however, during this a week that come to enjoying noticed it as well and humid which causes noise through a straw ( which annoys a lot ... ) , for this separated one or two flakes outdoors for about 15 minutes and really helps to regulate moisture. It is an option which in my opinion should not recur for a second time because for me it's more of the same , since I already have some experiences with Virginias from other houses , to quote the flake own Dunhill , Samuel Gawith Golden Glow and others of the House McClelland and surely this could not even match any of these , what do I repeatedly indicate beginners confreres in flakes or imported tobacco . the effect of nicotine ( for me ) was virtually nil .

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

I am very perplexed with this flake; it gets so many 3-star and 4-star ratings that it must have something to offer. But NO ONE emphasized the presence of a casing and NO ONE really focused on any sort of dominant “aromatic” properties—but they are certainly there for me! The aroma of the smoke was just too much like perfume or flowers. I could probably tolerate the aroma if the flavor of “perfume” didn’t creep so much into the taste of the smoke. I found that I tasted the flowers (or whatever it is) more than the tobacco. And this was distasteful for me.

I am no stranger to the Lakeland scented varieties of tobaccos from Britain and, as a general rule, I enjoy them. And I’ve certainly enjoyed a pretty fair share of “scented, aromatic” tobaccos from Denmark in my time. But I couldn’t get through even three bowlfuls of this blend in the course of a month. I was simply too distracted by the perfume.

I intend to put this on the shelf for six more months and I’ll try it again—maybe it will mellow out. For the time being, however, 1-star only, I can’t recommend it.

This one is a bit stronger that CVP.... Neither, of course, has Perique,so the previous reviewer may want to check what he had in his pipe.

The tobacco is easy to break up fully or partially, loads easily and lights without much trouble. A bit of drying out tends to help the lighting process and produces less heat during the smoke.

I found this to have nice, but unremarkable flavor and it was way too feathery in the nicotine department to make my body tingle. It did captivate my palate for a few minutes near the bottom of the bowl.

Overwhelming None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

A little, rectangular 50g tin, with a simple red label showing a line drawing of the famous XVIII Century F & T storefront on 34 Haymarket Street, London, and the crowned snuff rasp, a trademark of this most celebrated of snuff millers.

Within, a perfectly tooled, copper-coloured red Virginia plug, neatly sliced and un-topped.

Remarkably, it fires more easily than any flake I have ever smoked, and stays lit longer. No bite at all: I smoke it greedily, and suffer no consequences.

The taste is of the mildest?too light, in fact, for me; but it has a refined finish and smooth smokability that I enjoy.

The lightest-tasting, least bite-prone, most refined Virginia flake I have ever encountered.

Mild Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

new version >>< A light red Virginia flake, slightly sweet with natural flavoring. <<

old version >>> Dark brown, heavily fermented plug slice from the finest, fully ripe Virginia tobaccos. Smokers who love a spicy, highly aromatic tobacco come depends on their bill. <<<

in the tin new tobacco light - middlebrown (depends on age)

another current cheap crap of a former good stuff. How could it get 3 or 4 stars ?

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (172)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

I'm not an specialist in pure Virginias,VAs, in fact , i dont like so much... This is not a exception. For me is strong in Nicotine, bitter and peppery... Two starts for their quality,but is not a tobacco for me, my personal preference.

Pipesrevisited Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipesrevisited (45)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

First open, not impressed. After one and a half month, better. After two months and a week, heaven!

Conclusion, like a fine old wine Cut Blended Plug needs to breath to come into its own. Patience will be largely rewarded!

S.Hylan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
S.Hylan (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The more I smoke this, the more I appreciate it. At first I was almost overwhelmed by the fermented smell and taste mixed with the expected figs and grass. But as the tobacco dried out just a bit it got better. My can was blended in Germany, so maybe it was simply too fresh. Experimenting with the flake, I tried cutting it across the grain into roughly 2mm wide strips and then crumbling the stips. It created an elongated cube type cut which loaded and smoked best for me. Straight, plain 'baccy best smoked slowly. The room note has an old fashioned quality tobacco note to it which my wife enjoys. Down side? The price: roughly $30 US for one 50g tin here in Sweden. I simply can't give it 4 stars because I won't be able to smoke it much. For those who can, ENJOY IT!

Alguhan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Alguhan (140)

The flakes are easy to pack and lights without problem. It offers a sweet cool and smooth smoke with somehow fruity flavors. I liked it smoking during day time with a cup of tea or coffe. However it does not wake me up in the morning. As the tin descript?on says it is a light VA flake. I think the less nicotine VA lovers will like it a lot.

Darwin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darwin (101)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

This 3 year aged tin has beautiful wide flakes, 2 abreast, brown and black in color. It's a true flake, unlike the "broken flake" description above. A little drying and a month of breathing is recommended for Cut Blended Plug to yield its wonderful sweet yet slightly sharp essence; it's never ashy or harsh. Smoke slowly for maximum flavor, cool pipes and no tongue bite. Taste is sweet and fruity, at the citrus end rather than figs and raisins, and is right up front. Even immature palates will get this right away. The tangy or sharp body rounds as you move down the bowl and becomes very smooth, with perhaps some black cherry if you're patient and paying close attention.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (96)

Kindly supplied by 4 noggins, discovered here on tobacco reviews, what would I do without this site ? A small shirt pocket sized tin, left me wondering how they manage to get 50g in such a small space, still, not to worry, nice dark flakes, a little on the dry side for my liking but not enough to warrant rehydration.

Rubbs out easily and burns with one match, ineresting start, not quite sure what I'm tasting, it's almost a if several flavours are trying to make themselves known all at once.

Quickly though, the tobacco settles down, and a fine virginia experience is on the way which lasts to the end of the bowl, just pure sweet virginia, if there are any toppings, they seem to dissipate quickly and I am left with an excellent quality tobacco with a very pleasant taste.

In time, I may or may not cellar some of this, but for the moment, I will keep a couple of tins on hand with a third one open. For pure virginia lovers......... well worth a try.

Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Packer (56)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

This is my second blend that I have tried from Fribourg& Treyer. These people know Virginia.........In a Bibical way. I don't think anyone does Va. blends any better...very few do them as well. This little tin is full of pleasure. The flakes are absolutely beautiful...light brown, with some golden streaks, and a some small black specks. I have tried this rubbed out, and folded. This is the easiest flake to get a good burn without the need to rub out. The pack light, and burn are exceptional. The flavor is full, sweet, and well balanced. I find no bight even when I puff aggressively. I only wish these people would release thier blend in bulk. For now I have filled a small drawer in my cellar with tins of CBP. I have another with the sister blend Cut Va. Plug. In my book they both get

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (64)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

Another example of why Fribourg and Treyer is the champion of Virginia Flakes. This is a very nice, no nonsense tobacco. It comes in a charming little tin and is sliced into flakes which stick together in the tin.

This one is a two match light and burns very well. After 3 bowls of this stuff, I have had to relight my pipe once. The moisture content is perfect with leaving a flake out for about 10 minutes in the open air. The flavor is delightful, a mixture of citrus, cream, and flavor of oats weaving in and out. As the bowl progresses, it becomes a bit darker and stronger. I taste cinnamon and licorice in between the traditional Virginia flavors. I believe that there is some kind of mild casing on this, but it is almost non-existent and the flavor does not interfere with the tobacco. The room note is pleasant, sweet, and musty.

This, along with Cut VA Plug and Blackjack, represents the standard of what Virginia plugs and flakes should be to me. A wonderful tobacco, not monochromatic, highly recommended.

peacepipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
peacepipe (16)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

After filling a few different sized bowls with Fribour & Treyer's Cut Blended Plug, I noted that the warmth (not actual heat, but 'warmth' as an overal characteristic-- inviting, sweet-ish, un-bitey, etc.). and character were allowed to open up in a rather large, newish Dunhill Group 5 shell briar bent with an almost chimney-depth bowl. I had a long, solitary right down from Connecticut to NY tonight with blustery cool spring evening weather to add a certain romance to the experience.

didn't get any late-bowl gurgle but had to fiddle a bit with clearing the shank of that dastardly nuisance, stray flow-hindering dottle bit.

This blend was purchased at Davidoff and I think had been sitting there for a couple of years, and then stored in my home for for about 3 or 4 more years. It seems to have mellowed to perfection. Also, I enjoy the old-style, the wax paper moisture guard and the minimal size of the tin. Great stuff, middle-of-the-road; if you want something that will bowl you over, skip this one. but if you want a straight ahed smo

Felix Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Felix (7)

No need to embellish what the credible reviewers below have already written...this is another very, very nice Virginia from Fribourg & Treyer. Sadly, a couple reviewers have mistaken Perique for the addition of a lightly-stoved VA component (used to give some depth and complexity to the blend, add some mellowness and slow the burn rate).

Lighter Virginias are typically a little 'tangier' to start with. Coupled with the slight raisin-type flavor of a stoved VA component. Thus the confusion.

IMO, there's no Perique in this formulation.

Pipepundit Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipepundit (168)

This is the second Virginia from Fribourg and Treyer that i have tried (the first being Cut Virginia Plug) and I am delighted with it. Heavier and sweeter than CVP, the best way I can find of describing CBP is that it is to the former as Marlin Flake is to Old Gowrie. Allowing, of course, for the differences between the Rattray and F and T styles. Flippantly, Marlin Flake Lite would just about sum it up. It smokes equally well folded up or rubbed out to any degree. My best results have come from a very slight breaking up of the flake.

European labeling laws are demanding. I remember a pouch of Mac Baren Scottish Mixture which declared it to be 79 percent tobacco and the rest `agents de saveur et de texture` - whatever those agents may have been. My palate is not very good at detecting perique, so I cannot on my own say whether CBP contains perique or not. However, one of the German websites asserts that CBP contains perique. Since the blend is manufactured in Germany now, that statement is more likely than not correct.

Whatever be the fact of the matter, anyone who likes Marlin Flake will very possibly find comparable virtues in CBP. Highly recommended.

hagen Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hagen (91)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

UPDATE: I've been smoking a 3 years aged tin, and it had changed very little. Sad. I guess the tobacco is tinned too dry for the fementation to really get going. The Kentucky is, if anything, more noticable today than when fresh. I don't really like these pseudo-Fribourg & Treyers.

CORRECTION: this is hardly a regular va-per as i stated in my original review below, as the perique is used so sparingly as to be only just discernable. it may contain a bit of kentucky, too. END CORRECTION

a quite pleasant va-per. no bite to mention, a delicate virginia sweetness, a slight perique fruitiness, and in the background, the typical german-danish sugar casing. it is in no way a casing taste that will make me see this tobacco as an aromatic, but it is unmistakingly of k&k origin. as always with those, it is well crafted, easy to light, and comes in a pocket-friendly tin. one of the best of the present day fribourg & treyers.

not an absolutely first rate tobacco, but one which will, i feel, improve greatly with a a few years of cellaring. my present tin has been cellared for half a year, and is already a lot better than straight from the tobacconist. it may even develop into a four star tobacco in a few years.

reccommended as a nice summer smoke.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (79)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

Like its "sister" Virginia Cut Plug, this blended cut plug is warm, inviting, mellow, and somewhat rich.I say somewhat, because at different times of the day and in different weather, this smokes in varying overtones making it richer depending on those variables and of course, pipe size, packing method, and how you crumble or rub out the slices.

Not a complex tobacco, but genuine good tobacco taste and flavor. A reasonable all-day smoke for me and one I keep in regular rotation with my other Virginia plugs and flakes.

This tobacco smokes well in almost any pipe and I tend to smoke it in a number of my Castello's and Dunhill group 5 size straight billiards.

A great all-day smoke for Virginia flake cut smokers or for the beginning Virginia flake smoker seeking a mild, good tasting tobacco with a wonderful aroma.

Regards, Peter

.....a pipe is to be savored

Mr. Dottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Dottle (162)

Regretfully, I don?t have the time to review all of the tobaccos I have tried but I feel obligated to give a ?plug? to this plug. F&T CBP is a light to medium strength red VA that is tasty, mellow, toasty, bite free and with a subtle sweetness. In short, it is an excellent ?any time of the day? smoke. CBP also DGTs very well.

A cigarette is to be smoked. A cigar is to be enjoyed. A pipe is to be savored.

I rate this tobacco 9.95 out of 10.

If you are in search for a mild, easily managed, Virginia flake, with excellent flavor, you have found it here. My tin had no topping I could detect, just the scent of tobacco.

I love this in the morning, or afternoon with a cup of hot tea. It is a bit pricey, but I think it is worth it. It is fine stuff indeed.

Arashi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Arashi (5)

This is a wonderfully sweet rich VA flake! It's easy to smoke, even if you're sloppy with your technique. It smokes well fully rubbed out or just jammed into the bowl.

It's supposed to be a flavored tobacco, but all I smell from the tin is the smell of tobacco. If this is topped, it's done in such a way as to just enhance the natural flavor of the tobacco.

I've dedicated my group 3 Dunhill prince to this blend and after smoking most of a tin it's become one of my favorite smokes, possibly my "desert island" smoke.

Highly recommended!

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Having previously tried Cut Virginia Plug and Vintage, I find Cut Blended Plug as good as the other two, with a difference: this one seems to me a richer, denser smoke, with more variety in its flavor, with a slower burning rate.

The point here seems to be the use of red and dark Virginias, giving it a slightly sour-sweet touch, yet presevring all the natural qualities of a straigh Virgnina. It kind of reminds me of the polite elusiveness of the bygone B&H Original Virginia Flake (or, if you prefer, a lighter form of Astley's No. 44 Dark Virginia).

Mild, without a bite, this indeed is one of the best Virginias I have tried. It is easy to smoke, though it is a trifle moister than its two brothers. It has a rich, dark undertone that soothes and enlivens the spirit and satisfies the palate. In short: it belongs to that same linage of straight Virginias like Old Gowrie, Marlin Flake and Astleys' . Kudos.

SFC/E7 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SFC/E7 (93)
Strong Mild to Medium Full Unnoticeable

I found this Cut Blended Plug to be full strength virginia with perique flake.

Paddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paddy (125)
Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This is a beautifully prepared cut plug in flake form, medium brown with streaks of very light leaf. It rubs out, packs and lights easily. It produces a smoke that tastes of lightly sweetened Virginia. There is absolutely no bite and the tobacco burns all the way to the bottom of the bowl with very little tending. This is very, very tasty. The Virginia flavor is very light, but it is constantly there and quite distinctive. This could be the ideal tobacco with which to start the day. I like the F&T tobaccos, and I probably like this one the best. Highly recommended for the Virginia lover who likes it mild, slightly sweet and with no bite. Paddy.

pxi106 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pxi106 (17)
Very Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Extremely good quality tobacco, well presented. Light flavor, very pleasant. Good burn characteristics, nice ash. An all-around good tobacco...

In other words, boring. Also over-priced. And boring.

Dwise Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Dwise (25)

Like all F&T "plugs," this is really more like a flake, which is to say it looks, feels and rubs out like a flake. Cut plug tends to be a bit denser in my experience.

The leaf and quality of blending and processing are more than apparent, but this stuff definitely has some sort of topping. There is a slight but noticable floral scent to the flake, and the light-up produces a decidedly soapy taste. (A quick double-check of the product description above confirms this: the "natural flavoring" of which it speaks is probably floral in nature.) This flavor diminishes in the second half of the bowl, but never completely goes away. The taste of the tobacco is first-rate VA, but the Bowl-O'-Lifebuoy sensation rules it out completely for me, sad to say.

A nicely prepared flake of darker VAs. Easy to pack, light and keep lit. It smokes cool without any bite or moisture buildup although it does get slightly spicy @ the end of the bowl. However, overall it is one of the mildest red VAs that I've smoked. I've been exploring alternatives to the stronger straigh VAs and blends for use in the hot/humid weather and this one fits the bill. I've yet to be disappointed by this manufacturer. Perhaps, that's why they've been around since 1720.