Orlik English Gold is a blend of bright Virginia tobaccos. Pressed to large cakes, then cut in thin slices - flakes. Natural sweet taste.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
Packaging50 gram
CountryUnknown
Strength
Extremely Mild, Very Mild, Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

Orlik-English Gold. This really impressed me! The aroma from the tin is a very full hay like Virginia one, that's all there really is to say about that! The flakes are of the usual thickness stacked neatly in two rows. The colour is divided into two. The main colour is a medium brown but the flake is peppered all over with light yellow flecks. My tin was brand new so I expected the tobacco to be quite moist but surprisingly it was perfect in that department. I chose my Erik Nording Hunter "White Mountain Sheep" for my first smoke and one flake filled the bowl perfectly without leaving any excess tobacco over. Lighting English Gold is a real doddle, because the moisture is perfect it allows it to only require a very short touch of the flame. The smoke from this is AWESOME! That credit goes for every factor. It's quite cool, bite free, has a great taste and a good amount of N. When I first lit it I noticed a citrus kind of sweetness but after the first couple of minutes the citrus side dissipated and left a pure Virginia sweetness. The nicotine is dead on medium. That's good as it will satisfy N lovers without intimidating those who smoke solely for taste. I can't say that I can identify that many qualities in the room note. It isn't bad at all just really light in both substance and aroma. I have fortunately amassed quite a few un-opened tins of tobacco over this month and was a touch perplexed as to which one to open so I grabbed one at random and am over the moon it turned out to be English Gold. The best straight Virginia since Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake!

Pipe Used: Erik Nording The White Mountain Sheep

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

reflectingdane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
reflectingdane (3)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have come to love this tobacco. Its now my all day tobacco, with a couple of others in between. I think it has some high notes and is a little sharp, but in a good way, like in a "bright virginia way", and it is now my preferred smoke :) I'm buying a tin every time I have the upportunity, to age. Imaginning they are going to be great when aged. Highly recommended for lovers of no nonsense, classic, bright virginias.

I picked this blend up along with its sibling, the Orlik English Original, during a recent day trip to Denmark: neither tin is being offered where I live. The designs of both tins have a striking resemblance to those of the Capstan flakes, which are also being made by Orlik these days. The Capstan brand does not seem to be offered in Denmark, and the contents of both tins is so similar to the according Capstan blends that I think they are probably identical; that would make this the Danish Capstan Gold.

Having smoked that blend before, I do not make out much difference; I do believe they are identical. Hence, a great VA flake, not quite as sweet as its companion the English Original, but quite a good smoke. Sweet, but not overly so; hay-and-grass notes, and I think somebody lost a few grams of Perique in there: the bread note is in there.

Oh, and here's one for Gus Tation: Jon is Lord (an equivalent statement would be that "Mike is Oldfield" -- my point being that evangelism that is not about tobacco really should not have a place on this forum)

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a wonderfully pressed and lightly topped Virginia flake very similar in appearance to OGS. Where the ubiquitous Golden Sliced has a vague citrus topping reminiscent of oranges, though, English Gold smells in the tin of lemons and hay.

What is present in the tin, though, soon becomes irrelevant as this blend seems to share the core Orlik DNA that Golden Sliced contains. That is to say that if you enjoy OGS, then this blend has only substituted one citrus fruit topping for another. It is unclear whether these are applied as toppings or simply represent a very mildly sugared bright Virginia, but the core flake seems the same.

This one, like its cousin, behaves fairly well if not a bit harsh and causes a bit of dryness and irritation with profuse puffing. This was worth the try, but ultimately it doesn't vary enough to warrant a larger purchase. I feel the same about OGS now that I think of it.