Orlik English Gold is a blend of bright Virginia tobaccos. Pressed to large cakes, then cut in thin slices - flakes. Natural sweet taste.

BrandOrlik Tobacco Company A/S
Taste
reflectingdane Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
reflectingdane (3)
Mild Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have come to love this tobacco. Its now my all day tobacco, with a couple of others in between. I think it has some high notes and is a little sharp, but in a good way, like in a "bright virginia way", and it is now my preferred smoke :) I'm buying a tin every time I have the upportunity, to age. Imaginning they are going to be great when aged. Highly recommended for lovers of no nonsense, classic, bright virginias.

I picked this blend up along with its sibling, the Orlik English Original, during a recent day trip to Denmark: neither tin is being offered where I live. The designs of both tins have a striking resemblance to those of the Capstan flakes, which are also being made by Orlik these days. The Capstan brand does not seem to be offered in Denmark, and the contents of both tins is so similar to the according Capstan blends that I think they are probably identical; that would make this the Danish Capstan Gold.

Having smoked that blend before, I do not make out much difference; I do believe they are identical. Hence, a great VA flake, not quite as sweet as its companion the English Original, but quite a good smoke. Sweet, but not overly so; hay-and-grass notes, and I think somebody lost a few grams of Perique in there: the bread note is in there.

Oh, and here's one for Gus Tation: Jon is Lord (an equivalent statement would be that "Mike is Oldfield" -- my point being that evangelism that is not about tobacco really should not have a place on this forum)

longlost00 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
longlost00 (22)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a wonderfully pressed and lightly topped Virginia flake very similar in appearance to OGS. Where the ubiquitous Golden Sliced has a vague citrus topping reminiscent of oranges, though, English Gold smells in the tin of lemons and hay.

What is present in the tin, though, soon becomes irrelevant as this blend seems to share the core Orlik DNA that Golden Sliced contains. That is to say that if you enjoy OGS, then this blend has only substituted one citrus fruit topping for another. It is unclear whether these are applied as toppings or simply represent a very mildly sugared bright Virginia, but the core flake seems the same.

This one, like its cousin, behaves fairly well if not a bit harsh and causes a bit of dryness and irritation with profuse puffing. This was worth the try, but ultimately it doesn't vary enough to warrant a larger purchase. I feel the same about OGS now that I think of it.