A ready-rubbed pure red Virginia plug.

BrandFribourg & Treyer
Blended ByKohlhase & Kopp
Strength
Taste

Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

Fribourg & Treyer - Blackjack. This is a surprisingly good blend.

After doing some reading up on this I was prepared for your 'straight forward' ready rubbed Virginia blend so it was a good moment when I opened the tin to find broken flakes! In fact, some of the blend is that chunky it could still use a bit of a rub; this is a bit of a shock as I note how a few other smokers found theirs to be over rubbed. The aroma from the can is a straight forward Virginia one, some citrus, some grass, and slightly sweet. The amount of water makes it smokeable right away but after a few weeks of being unsealed it becomes absolutely perfect.

The taste I get is very fresh. It has all of the lively attributes of a good Virginia. The smoke is very 'clean'; I mean this in the way that it doesn't leave any heavy aftertaste nor claggy feeling on the palate, it would make for a decent smoke prior to an expensive tipple where you don't want your mouth to be impeded by any lingering flavour.

The temperature of the smoke is about medium and no matter how hard I puff my pipe I get no bite!

For me, the nicotine amount is about mild to medium being closer to mild unless it's stressed heavily.

The room note? A pleasant Virginia one that doesn't generate a huge quantity of actual smoke.

This is a top mark straight Virginia. It has to be highly recommended!

Four stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Founders Edition 2015

Purchased From: The Danish Pipe Shop

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

Review is based on a 2 year old tin with its European name of Negrohead, a bit of an unfortunate moniker here in the states. I'm not sure where the name comes from as it is not a black tobacco, nor does it fit in with the only reference I'm aware of for Negrohead, which is in Dickens' Great Expectations novel. Magwitch smoked it and it was said to be a black rope. This is a light colored shag. What's in a name, I suppose....

Excellent flavored tobacco with the faintest hint of citrus amidst the hay qualities. A subtle light toast picks up around mid-bowl and there is a bit of Grandma's spice rack in here as well. Occasionally exhibited a trace of cigarette quality, but of a non-mass produced, high end variety. One thing I really enjoyed was the fact that this smoked like a red virginia but had the best of lemon VA virtues - that slight orange peel taste, but not enough to make it overbearing. It's a different kind of sweetness than I'm used to with red virginia blends. And the top note is so faint that I can't place it but it is there.

This was good enough that I picked up 5 more tins! Recommended to any straight virginia smoker. One of the better examples out there.

TK Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TK Pipe (101)

F&T Blackjack After just finishing a tin of McClelland red VA. I thought I would give blackjack, also said to be a red VA. a try, so without any delay I did just that. My first impression was Blackjack seemed stronger, fuller and had a quite different flavor profile, similar to the difference found in Danish Virginias, the German VA's seems to have their own unique taste identity. Many may disagree but I taste licorice/citrus in this and other German VA's. Not a bad thing, because I find both are quite enjoyable at times, but neither can be much more than a change of pace smoke in my rotation, because their assertive flavors will soon wear me down.

I would have preferred this tobacco was not rubbed out as much as it is, and came as a more familiar broken flake so as to allow me to fit the moment, because IMO as is, this stuff wants to burn faster than I like, especially at the $11 for 50 Gram cost level.

I had no bite issues with this blend and found it produced a surprising amount of thick white smoke for a straight VA, with a slightly elevated nicotine level, a satisfying combination in my book. Overall; I found Blackjack is a smooth and a very easy to smoke tobacco, which probably for some could be a fine all day choice. But at this cost, IMHO there is some serious competition out there, meaning when I finish these 2 tins; Blackjack will probably become only a memory. But for those with deeper pockets and prefer old world tin art, try this one, many on this site seem to just love it. 2.5 stars.

The red Virginia has little dark fruit sweetness, much less so than other blends where it's the dominant component. I would not label this as a sweet Virginia. It has a hay and grassy-like taste to it with a bare touch of lemon, and a very slight spice that comes and goes as you smoke it down. Also has a mild earthiness. It's not very complex; mild enough to be an all day smoke with a consistent flavor. The nic-hit is a shade beyond mild. It loads easy, burns well and dry, but can bite a constant puffer. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and needs few relights. You may want to sip it to get the full effect, and avoid potential tongue bite. It gets two stars for that.

Noorrmm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Noorrmm (193)

Firstly, allow me to wonder about the name of this blend. If you peel off the Blackjack label, you will see the original name, Negrohead. Obviously not Politically Correct. Neither name describes the tobacco accurately.

Appearance: An orangey-red broken flake of medium thickness, just right for packing as-is into medium and large pipes

Aroma: Mildly sweet Va. Aroma, with a subtle top-note of something citrusy (to my nose).

Packing: Packs well into any size pipe, for smaller pipes you probably will require a bit of rubbing out.

Lighting: Takes flame perfectly, charring light very easy to establish. Tamp, relight, enjoy. Almost foolproof.

Initial flavor: Mild to medium Virginia sweetness, slight citrus taste, mostly medium notes with occasional highs and lows

Mid-bowl: Not very complex, but not monochromatic or dull. The flavor can best be described as lively, but without tingle. Very gentle on the tongue and palate, when smoked slowly. If puffed aggressively, it flattens out, and can get hot, but what tobacco doesn?t?

Finish: Finishes dry, cool and gently. No trace of gunk from the flavoring agent. It generally left me wanting another hit in about an hour (not high in nicotine).

Summary: A great choice for an all-day smoke, mild enough for breakfast, lively enough for all day. Might even be a good choice in the evening, if you don?t crave something heavy.

Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I have smoked a very well aged tin of Blackjack -- back when the blend was called Negro Head. It was a nice, mellow Virginia but just too light for my palate. If you gravitate toward lighter yet flavorful Virginia offerings then I will highly recommend F&T's Blackjack.

This review is based on a tin that is more than ten years old. With that in mind I had hoped for more sweetness than was offered by Blackjack. As has been mentioned, it has been rubbed out quite a bit and kind of wish it wasn’t. I like Blackjack, it’s a good blend, just not a great one. After returning to the lovely sweetness of a well-aged Red Cake last week, Blackjack offers more strength and body, which is something that I prefer. Blackjack is mildly sweet, offers no bite, and is fairly straightforward with not a lot of complexity. The tobacco is, like all of the F&T blends I have smoked thus far, of good quality. As others have pointed out Blackjack seems to be topped with a very light citrus topping. But it is very light. I have a love/hate relationship with red Virginias. I really like them, but they don’t always like me. This gets along with me well. Overall, Blackjack is a tasty, but slightly expensive offering for those that like red Virginias.

Age When Smoked: 10+ years

I have tried a tin of this recently: in Europe this tobacco is sold under the name of Negrohead, which is not politically correct and quite confusing too as the contents of the tin are bright-red Virginias.

It is a pleasant smoke, delicate, honeyed, with notes of hay: an unoffensive, slow smoking tobacco with little bite.

In spite of the tobacco being a bit moist and very pliable, it does not burn wet. Overall a nice experience, it burns well and doesn't require much care. Alas, it is also a bit monodimensional and doesn't evolve much through the bowl. But the flavour is always fine, it's not heavy and has no unpleasant traits. Think of it as a gentler variation on Hamboorger Veermaster.

Not mind blowing, but hard to dislike.

Satc001 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Satc001 (66)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

This is a nice and simple Virginia blend. This tobacco has a wonderful taste with notes of sweet wood, creme, honey, and the occasional citrus note. It is incredibly simple and does not change much as the bowl progresses but is wonderfully satisfying. I find this to have medium bite for a Virginia. I really enjoy this blend a lot and will definitely buy more. I don't think this is a four star blend, but it is one of my favorite tobaccos, this blend is simply enjoyable.I definitely trying Blackjack.

Pseudo Nim Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pseudo Nim (110)

The first true Red virginia I have tried, bought a tin of this earlier in the year and thoroughly enjoyed it, thus the order of five more tins prior to Christmas, and no regrets.

Not as full bodied or as sweet as McCllelands Bulk 5100 but still a nice tasting red virginia. Interesting, polite and well behaved with good burning qualities, this is a virginia that for me could easily become habit forming. At the moment I buy it as a treat, but I cannot help but wonder, what would this be like with a few years on it ? Will have to seriously consider cellaring some of this.

This one surprised me based on its name since the blend is actually red/brown with a smaller % of light VAs. Since it is rubbed out in the tin, nothing further is suggested. Quick to light and burns easily and evenly. The taste of this blend appears to be highly influenced by pipe choice although I've only had one 50G tin to date. I'm therefore not sure if it's the bowl size or pipe manufacturer or both and will have to experiment further. Large bowled Charatans seem to work the best and result in slightly sweet smoke with hints of spicyness towards the end. In other bowls, my mouth ended up being extremely dry both during the smoke and in the aftertaste. Perhaps the speed of smoking is making the difference. However, in any case, it's just pure tobacco taste from quality tobacco.

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Beautiful straight red Va broken flake. September hay and faint fruit sweetness and a little twang. Simple and delicious. The consistency of the broken flake and the moisture level are very similar to DTM, not quite C&D dry, but close.

For me this is a top 5 straight Virginia. I put it up there with BBF, Butera Golden Cake, McClelland Rich Va Ribbon, and Germain Brown Flake. There isn’t anything magical or complex here, it’s more a Va for a guy who loves Va and VaPers, but who probably also enjoys a frequent bowl of Prince Albert or Carter Hall. A tobacco lover’s Va.

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (102)
Mild Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

My F&T Blackack came in a tin that seems rather large for 50 grams of tobacco. Inside, I found a fairly loose pile of well broken flakes, dark to light reddish-brown, at what looked and felt like a moisture level fit for smoking. Tin note is very subdued, aged, VA tobacco, slightly earthy, like aged hay; nothing more. Though I can smoke it OK straight from the tin, IMO Blackjack is best after maybe a month’s rest in a jar and some drying prior to smoking it. Lit, rested and dryer Blackjack promptly unfolds and “blooms” with subtle, floral and wood resin side notes wafting through its rather bluff, woody/earthy primary notes. I taste well-aged, cold pressed, air cured VAs that are sweet, earthy, herbal and floral, with some treacle, citrus and a smidgen of anise atop it. There might also be some lightly stoved leaf here, but there is no “dark fruit”, or “stewed fruit”, whatsoever. Like most VAs, Blackjack “intensifies” down the bowl, going from mild to past medium in taste. There is some sharp-ish, VA-type tannin here that reminds me a bit of the original Rattray’s Red Rapparee. Strength is mild. Room note is pleasant. Aftertaste is a little tannic at first, but it soon settles down to sweet, delicious best-of-the-end-of-the-smoke.

I have to admit, I get no wow factor from Blackjack. But, in view of what I do get, that's alright with me. 4 stars from me, with noted reservations.

Pipe Used: briars used for VAs

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin to 1 month jarred

Purchased From: 4Noggins

Similar Blends: Compare/contrast to GLP Laurel Heights and F&T's Vintage..

Medium Extremely Mild Medium Tolerable

Revised 5/22/2014- I've had this breathing for about a month and it has improved greatly. Any hint of "Lakeland floral" is gone and the interesting spice and sweetness that I associate with a "Red" is present ( I still think there maybe some Perique). I should know better and give any vacuum packed tin more time to breath before I evaluate it. 4 stars

Agree with "DK" , "a different kind of sweetness"

Original Review- A smooth Virginia. Initial light gives a whiff of sweetness and maybe even a hint of Lakeland Floral scent, Perique is not listed, but I think there is a touch in here, well done. Unfortunately, I don't find much sweetness or flavor , the blend becomes very bland very quickly( to stoved). Except for the light color, I find a lot of similarities with SG's FVF in strength and it even has a background bitter note that I also find in FVF, both darker base noted tobaccos. I prefer more sweet high "Reds" , like McC 5100 and even FVF has some sweetness. This smokes with no bite, has a solid base , respectable "N", but is missing that " twang". I can't disagree with those that like this, but I won't buy again just because it's not my style of Virginia ( this doesn't remind me of a "Red").

Agree with reviewers "TK Pipe" & "JimInks"

Pipe Used: cob

Age When Smoked: Revised Review- 6 weeks

A fairly strong note of hay with a very mild note of citrus. Only a touch of sweetness and a fair amount of spice. A slight earthiness later in the bowl. Too much hay for my taste and a little boring.

Mild to medium in body and taste. No added flavoring detected. Burns very well.

Pipe Used: MM Little Devil Cutty, Little Devil Acorn, Marcus

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)
Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

I love red VA's. This one is no exception but it really did not compare to my bench marks. That said there are a number of good qualities about this one. It is really a semi-sweet tobacco. Not quite what I expected as reds usually have more sweetness about them. Tastes of grass/hay with some citrus (perhaps topped with orange?). It is only the slightest bit tangy with occasional notes of that VA spice I love. The citrus topping was a little much for me personally but that is just me. It left a film like feel on my tongue. The finish was slightly ashy as well. Still a good red VA. If you are really into the reds this one should make your wish list to try at least once.

Mesh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mesh (50)
Mild None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable

This is a mild, soft red Virginia with a very light sweetness. It starts off on the bland side but does develop and get more interesting as you smoke down the bowl. It reminds me a lot of Rattray's Old Gowrie (produced by the same people who make Blackjack, I believe) but it might be slightly milder. My preference being VAs with a bit more body, I probably won't buy this again but I did enjoy it and would recommend trying it.

Sasquatch Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sasquatch (81)

Surprise surprise.... no idea why this blend would be called blackjack, it's a straight red virginia. Quality of leaf seems high, very little debris. Nothing fancy, just a good quality enjoyable virginia. No bite, no difficulty. When your favorite is unavailable, try this out!

Funny how some of these terrific blends stay under the radar.

Age When Smoked: unaged

Similar Blends: Rattray's Virginias (Old Gowrie etc).

Ranger Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ranger (64)

It's been a while since my last review, so, here goes. A uniformly medium to dark brown shaggy cut. Very easy to pack and light. Classic Virginia taste, no bite if smoked slowly. The age of this has probably mellowed the tobacco and it is smooth and tasty. No issues at all with moisture or keeping lit.

Pipe Used: Rinaldi Pot, Tony Fillenwarth Poker/Billiard

Age When Smoked: Purchased March 2003

Purchased From: smokingpipes.com (I think)

Similar Blends: Close to a few of the McClelland tobacco black label series..

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (136)
Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

Good, basic tobacco flavor, but very mild. Builds in strength a bit as you work through the bowl, but never reaches the medium strength advertised in the F&T tin description. A slight spiciness can be noticed on the retrohale. Lacks complexity and depth, but decent for what it does deliver. Lights easily, burns clean. 2 stars.

Pipe Used: Neerup, Armellini

Age When Smoked: undated; bought 2 months ago

Purchased From: The Briary, Homewood, AL

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (191)

I have the classic red Virginia taste without interference from the preservative if allowed to dry a bit. Behaves evenly with a balanced flavor that could be enjoyed all day. A good bet for the smoker that likes his Virginia on the purer side.

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My Ebay-won tin had the old name on it, and makes a curious addition to the tin collection in my garage, though I will most certainly hide it if I ever show my collection to any African-American friends! The new name isn't quite right either, since there is nothing black about this blend-it's a tasty, mild red Virginia. I got no bite from it, even though it was one of those Virginias that make me want to puff like an overheated furnace. The tin aroma is one of those sweet yet natural scents one likes to experience in a mild Virginia, and this carries over to the smoke.

Art_A Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Art_A (7)

F & T's Blackjack (Negrohead)

1. DATE: 11032004 2. REVIEWER: Art_A 3. BRAND/COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Fribourg & Treyer, England 4. BLEND/TYPE: A ready-rubbed pure red Virginia plug. 5. PRICE/PACKAGING: $ 7.15 50 grams 6. CONTENTS: Virginia 7. CUT: Rubbed out ribbon 8. AVERAGE STRENGTH RATING: In a scale of 1 to 10 this would be a 5 9. TASTE RATING: about an 7 to 8 10.FLAVOR RATING: sweet but not overly so 11.ROOM NOTE/AROMA: 7 to 8 12.IMPRESSIONS:This is a good mild VA A. INITIAL An easy light a bit sharp but sweet tasting B. MID BOWL: The Virginia come out very good and very mild as are F&T Tobacco C. END OF BOWL: The VA stays with no sourness or ash taste at the finish, A mild nicotine hit 13.RECOMMENDATIONS/RATING: (Scale 1 - 5) I must give this 4 stars 14. GENERAL COMMENTS: I had broke out a new meer for this baccy and will use it for F&T's Blackjack (Negrohead in the rest of the world) I like this as a good dry mild VA so much that I have ordered another 12 tins for the celler