An all Black blend flavored with cinnamon and nutmeg. Same tobaccos and process as Century Black Cavendish.

Blended ByCarl McAllister
ContentsBlack Cavendish
FlavoringCinnamon, Other / Misc
Strength
Taste
2.6
JimInks (2036)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The sugary unsweetened black cavendish also has a touch of toast. The vanilla topping is the major topping, but isn’t very forceful in strength. The cinnamon and nutmeg are condiments. The nic-hit is extremely mild. The strength is just past the mild to medium mark while the taste is tad past that. Won’t bite, but can get hot on the tongue if puffed fast. It has a slightly slow burn rate with a very consistent flavor. Leaves some moisture in the bowl, and requires some relights if you don’t dry it. Has a pleasant, short lived sweet and lightly spicy after taste. Can be an all day smoke.

TXBulldog Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TXBulldog (74)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I found this tobacco somewhat disappointing. I was able to pick up the spice early but it soon disappeared. As it disappeared nothing pulled through to make for a good tobacco experience. The smoke was relatively flat with nothing to thoroughly enjoy about it. It burned cool and through to the end . If your looking for something a little better in flavor and that brings through the tobacco a bit more, go with the sutcliff baklava. It is better on the spice front and in pulling through an enjoyable tobacco experience.

Revisited

Thought I'd provide an update to my original review. I let this sit for about four months and gave it another shot. In all fairness, it was a decent smoke with a nice even burn throughout. Still light on any of the noted flavors pulling through. I can't discern them. But, it is a light pleasant smoke you could knock back all day. Based on that I have adjusted my original review/rating upward a bit. This would be a good newbie tobacco for something to start out on without the worry of tongue bite. Seasoned smokers may find it a bit uninteresting.

Pipe Used: La Strada Bulldog

Age When Smoked: New and 6 mos.

Purchased From: P&C

Not a bad blend and typical of most black cavendish of its sort. For me, more a mild vanilla than nutmeg or cinnamon. Similar to Capt Black Dark and Tinder Box Capt Spice. What I don't enjoy is the chemical taste (most likely PG) which really comes into play by mid bowl. Leaves an after taste of such as well, but milder than most PG laden black cavendish blends. No bite and smoked relatively cool, so not a bad choice for this type of offering; and one that would be good for beginners and for those who want a nice smelling room note.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Vario Billiard

Age When Smoked: Several months of age

Purchased From: P&C

Similar Blends: Capt Black Dark, Tinder Box Capt Spice.

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (20)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a surprise not what I expected. I do not detect any of the spice that they say has been added. Not in aroma from the pouch or in the room. The room note is ok. If you smoke this blend slow you will get a sweet taste mid bowl. Smoke it fast and it becomes harsh. Overall it is a ok smoke not sure if I will buy it again, probably not

Pipe Used: various

Age When Smoked: unknown

Der Pfeifenraucher Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Der Pfeifenraucher (57)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I really enjoyed this atypical aromatic. I bought this from a franchise tobacco store who makes their money off vaping/RYO so Lord only knows how long this had been sitting around. It came a little dry in the jar/bag. smells great and is easy to load and light. I got a pretty fair amount of spice in the flavor but after a few bowls got bored with it. I decided to mix it in with some butternut burley at 50% and that combination really just was amazing. As I type I realize I need to stock up on both, I may never smoke either by itself again.

Pipe Used: crusty old cobs

Age When Smoked: ????????

Purchased From: Wild Bills Battle Creek.

Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (294)
Mild Medium Very Mild Very Pleasant

I bought several one ounce aromatic samples from pipes and cigars to try and see what had good flavor and room note out of the thousands of aromatics out there. I thought this would be the same as Tinder Box's Black Russian which has nutmeg etc, Well this was not like that blend and was not great, it did smoke cool, didn't gurgle and had decent flavor I guess for what it is but like my fellow reviewers I did not taste spices whatsoever. Therefore two stars since in my book a blend called "Black Spice" should at least give the smoker at least a suggestion of spices.... A Ho Hum blend if there ever was one...

Pipe Used: cobs

Age When Smoked: Fresh from Bulk

Similar Blends: Captain Black Dark, BCA, McClelland VBC - well ok any of these are better than Black Spice but they are all black Cavendish's....

Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Sutliff - Black Spice.

If you buy this don't expect a broken flake where the pieces are so big and flake-like they need a rub, the blend's made of mostly very coarse ribbons, with just a few 'clumps'. The colour's extremely dark, and moistness is A1.

For the initial part of a bowl the spices dominate the smoke; mainly cinnamon. But once that time has passed, after about a quarter bowl, the nutmeg enters: sweetly nutty, but also quite savoury. A strange addition, but pleasant nevertheless. I'm not a fan of one of the other traits, which increases in strength toward the end: floral. B21 burns steady, not requiring re-lights, but unfortunately goes quick. The temperature of the smoke's cool, and it's quite thick in build.

The room-note isn't my idea of nice, and the nicotine's mild.

The first quarter's a 3/4 star smoke, but the remainder only warrants 2 stars.

Somewhat recommended.

Pipe Used: Barling Meer'

Jason h. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Jason h. (47)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

This is a pretty decent smoke. It looks as though their are about four companies making it? Anyhow, it smoked fairly dry, was somewhat sweet, and didnt disappoint. If you love aromatics, and want a little something extra, give this one a try, I think you will like it, and so will your neighbors!

ski2liv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ski2liv (16)

Probably similar to Consolidated's version of the same tobacco with the same name. I find this one to be a great cool mild all day smoke. Good room notes, though my wife doesn't like this as much as some of the other dark aromatics. I don't see the cinnamon and nutmeg in there really, but I'm not exactly after them either. Once dried properly this burns cool all the way to the bottom. Surprised me when I got some ash actually. All in all a great smoke... the only reason i gave it a 3 out of 4 was that it leaves a lingering aftertaste the next morning. Not real strong, but more than some others. I don't smoke daily, so waking up with pipe mouth is something that bothers me... for most people, that's probably not the case, but for me, it's enough to drop it one star.