Dark-fired Kentucky leaf and ripe red Virginia tobaccos, with their deep, earthy flavors, are layered on a central core of golden flue-cured for a hint of bright sweetness, then pressed and matured in cakes before being sliced and tumbled to a ribbon form, ready for your smoking enjoyment.

BrandG. L. Pease
Blended ByGregory Pease
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Strong, Very Strong
Taste
Medium to Full, Full
2.6

I much prefer this ready-rubbed version of JackKnife as I am lazy and have no ability to chop up plugs correctly.

My impressions of JackKnife - Deep and earthy in flavor, with a healthy pegging of the strength meter. I do believe that Pease made this blend to age well and I look forward to trying more in a few years. I found the fresh JackKnife that I smoked to be just a little "green" in overall flavor presentation. A nice Burley/Virginia combo using quality leaf.

Pipestud

Pipe Used: Ruthenberg, Weaver, Shurwood, Barling

Age When Smoked: less than 6 months

Similar Blends: Rattray's Hal O' the Wynd, McClelland's Big & Burley, Hearth & Homes Steamroller without Perique..

Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I tried the plug and found that me with a knife and a plug combines to create a terrible cut of tobacco. I muscled through the two ounces I bought and wasn't super impressed, but blamed myself rather than the tobacco.

Well a forum buddy sent me some of the RR and I am glad that he did. This is much better. Odd thing that I never tasted with my attempt at the plug is a bit of a soapy taste that is there in the first quarter of the bowl or so.

Needless to say I really enjoyed it and smoked the rest of the sample while deer hunting last week. I even shot a doe while puffing on some. So maybe the ladies like it as well. I will definitely buy more of the rr and avoid the hassle of the plug.

Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I added this blend to the database so that reviews for it wouldn't be mixed in with the plug version and now realize I forgot to add "New World Collection" to it, thereby making it hard to locate. The best laid plans. I'll shoot an email to correct this.

As for the blend, I much prefer this sorta-broken flake to a plug any time, and I had more success loading and keeping lit than the plug version. That said, this dries out very quickly in the tin and should be jarred upon opening. The flavor is very similar to the plug, and I found the same earthy, tobacco-y upfront flavor here with the hint of sweetness. This very subtle sweet character didn't show up with each puff, however. It was fleeting. It seemed as though just about the time I was about to wear out from the deep Kentucky flavor, the lemon VA would kick in to console me. Basically this is a blend for those enamored of the taste of tobacco and aren't interested in nuances. This is a bold blend, full tasting, and robust. Not quite what I'm looking for, but well worth a try. I could use a bit more virginia in this one, but it's still a well-done blend and produces the kind of flavors that were intended.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (98)
Very Strong None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

I've been interesting in trying some of G.L. Pease for a while having heard generally good things online about his blends. They are. though. a rare oddity in the UK, being available, along with a few other of Mr Pease's offerings, only from the fabulous Gauntleys of Nottingham. Also, at £16.50 a drum, half as much again as most tobaccos here, it is not a leaf I can purchase regularly. However, a rare gap in my normally all to limited finances allowed me to purchase this and a couple of offerings. I must confess that my choice in tobaccos was largely dictated by stock levels as there were only three blends not awaiting replenishment, JackKnife RR just so happened to be one of them.

Upon receipt, I was pleasantly surprised by the packaging, a nice shiny drum with a loose label gently wrapped around it, perhaps not quite as slick as tins from more notable brands but had a good "cottage industry" feel to it. Diving straight in to the drum, I was immediately impressed by the look of the tobacco inside, chunky rubbings with a rich brown colour. The smell, too, was wonderful, a lovely barbeque sauce flavour. A quick pop in the pipe led to a flavour much the same, it made me want to order a pizza just so I could order that bbq sauce with it to dip the crusts in. the fun did not end there, it has a nicotine kick like no other, save for the other Pease tobaccos I bought. This tobacco I found, however, seems to be at it's best when at it's freshest. The flavour has faded quite quickly since then and there is now little of that barbeque sauce flavour. There is still some pleasure from smoking it, just not as much as when I first tried it.

On the whole then, a good tobacco that doesn't seem to hold it's flavour. It could be me, maybe I'm not storing it right, even though it doesn't seem right to remove it from it's cute little drum. As things stand with my finances and all, I am in no hurry to order some more. If things change though, like a turn up in my financial fortunes, I may well invest in a new tub and stash it in a jar and give it another chance. To be honest, I think it deserves it.

Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Not a big fan of Kentucky or of strong nicotine-laden tobaccos here...

Anyway, it's good: intense flavour, earthy, nutty and stout. Burns a bit hot, but not too much.

What knocks me off is the nicotine: I have to smoke this in a small bowl and only once in a while, or it will make me sweat.

Not bad, anyway! If you like the genre, it certainly deserves your attention.