Rich Black Cavendish tobaccos blended with bright Virginia, create a smooth smoke with a subtle Honey flavouring.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
3.7
Medium Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

Been wanting to try this for quite a while now . As I love Black Cavendish this is right up my street ! The appearance of it is nothing exceptional as it is your standard ready rubbed but it holds an exemplary moisture amount . When lit it has a splendid Cavendish taste which is clearly complimented by the Honey which is easy to detect and is not a nondescript sweetness but a definite "full" honey taste. It doesn't bite me either . I may be bias as I adore Sam Gawith blends so probably best to try it yourself as if you like Cavendish you will not be disappointed with this !!

Pipe Used: Mr Brog

Purchased From: Smoke King

Fofo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Fofo (78)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Just like, in my opinion, few blends deserve 1 star, few also deserve 4 stars, and this is one of them.

NOTE: NOT A BROKEN FLAKE. PLEASE LEARN YOUR CUTS.

I don't know if this blend is new because I have not seen it online and can't even see it on S.G. website. I found it at my local shop and, since I've pretty much liked everything by S.G. I decided to give it a try.

Opening the tin reveals a strange ribbon cut, very fluffy and somewhat annoying to pack, but not bad. I was surprised at how slow this stuff burns considering the thin fluffy cut. I am not sure what the cut is called, but I know it is most definitely not a broken flake. The tin smell is of ripe fruit, Virginia, and slightly vinegary.

Upon first light you are greeted by a very pleasant honey taste, which eases at about the half point mark down the bowl (though it is not completely gone until the last third) If you have wished MacBaren's blends tasted like the honey you can smell in the tin, this stuff is for you.

The last third of the bowl is sweet, Cavendish and Virgnia sweet, no honey taste. There is also a tingle in my nose that reminds me of perique, though there is no perique here.

Not particularly strong as far nicotine goes, but now a lightweight smoke either.

I have never been disappointed by S.G. If you can find it, then it is worth the try.

Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Shortly after I found SG put out this newer blend I was anxious to try it. For the longest time, with most vendors, it was not included in the normal SG lineup. I recently saw it available at pipesandcigars.com and snagged a tin.

It arrived today and I opened it up to smoke immediately. Moist but not overly so. Mostly a ribbon cut with I would say 2/3 light leaf and 1/3 black cavendish; the lighter leaf a mix of medium-longer length ribbon and the black as a shorter ribbon or riff cut. There was a subtle fragrance of honey which was very appealing. In no way did it mimick the honey topping of a MacBaren or any other honey-topped blend I have ever smoked. Nor was there even the slightest hint of Lakeland. Given this in a blind smoke test, I would never even consider it made by SG; except perhaps for the quality leaf. Loading was easy and lighting was no chore. It remained lit while puffing, only going out if I put my pipe down for a few minutes. I rated the flavor/taste as mild/medium, both bordering closer to the mild. The Virginias came through very subtly but was most certainly there. The honey topping (or casing) was done with a light hand and contributed itself in a subtle way as well. It tasted very natural rather than artificial and leaves a nice honey presence on the fingers. In trying to bring more flavor to the tongue, the nicotine presence can creep up on you and leave you with that nicotine lump in the back of the throat along with a little head spin (Irish Flake and ABF are my two daily staples, so I was surprised at this). Settling back into a slower cadence eliminates this and you still get very subtle flavor, enough to please. Sweet, but not cloyingly so. From my experience, very good quality leaf, no bitterness, never a bite, no moisture, and burns to minimal dottle. Truly a very enjoyable smoke. Aromatic yes, but not like American aromatics. Here, less is definitely more. Something I can find myself reaching for every day, but most likely will do so on special occasions - like settling in with a good book and a beer on the deck.

Not disappointed in the least and certainly worthy of 4 stars. A bit pricey at $11/50g tin, but since it won't be an every day smoke for me, the price is acceptable. Enjoy!

Pipe Used: Peterson Irish Harp bent no 69

Age When Smoked: Fresh from tin

Cypressandstar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cypressandstar (14)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had never seen this tobacco before and so, curious, I asked my tobacconist some information about: he answered me, saying that someone just bought it and did not find fairly sweet or aromatic as expected, so to give it to another smoker. I felt encouraged because when I saw that there was in honey, I was worried that might be a "sweet bomb". I loaded my pipe (Radice Silk) with the Franck method and I immediately felt a creamy, almost natural tobacco, without the (feared) honey. The mixture grows in intensity with time,making you smell a little wood ,a little campfire and a slightly toasted nutty flavor. The smoke is thick,rich,and all in all,yes,they must have added honey,but in unexpected,different way:it's on the border,barely noticeable in the "outdoor" flavor. Black Forest is good as freshly baked bread and since I bought it, I can not stop to smoke and enjoy.

Mr. Frogburster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Frogburster (15)

Fine cut tobacco, quite dark. Smells nice and a bit foresty from the tin.

Tongue taste (the taste you feel on your tongue when you first get the smoke into your mouth): mild virginias mixed with an almost sharp honey taste at the beginning. After a while the tastes start to melt together, all in all getting milder and slightly more "tobaccoish".

Snork taste (the taste when you roll the smoke around in your mouth and out of your nostrils): Mild scent of honey and forest fruits, but mainly typical virginia tones, not sharp but rather mild virginia.

All together: Smells nice and has a very pleasant taste at the beginning. The taste tends to get first milder, and then at the end almost disappear. Needs to be somewhat dried before smoking, and should be packed lightly to taste maximally. All in all a pleasant tobacco, but lacks the last pinch to be excellent.

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable

Subtle honey flavouring? Subtle? Not really.

Over time you can become accustomed to the honey, but it's always on the verge of overwhelming the tobacco, and when the honey makes itself known it's a little like smoking a Lockets cough sweet.

That's not to say it's bad. Far from it. Black forest makes a change from the usual aromatics and I'm glad it exists.

In a world of almost identical aromatics it's good to see that SG are marching to the beat of a different drum.

If I'm looking for a high tar alternative to the hot toddy this will be top of my list.