High quality bright Virginias are blended with a hint of Black Cavendish and Burley tobaccos with flavourings added reminiscent of Christmas. Cinnamon, Rum, Sherry and Cherry.

BrandSamuel Gawith
Blended BySamuel Gawith
FlavoringCherry, Cinnamon, Rum, Sherry
Packagingtin
Strength
Very Mild, Medium, Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste
Tolerable to Strong

My son's room mate was home in England over the Christmas break from school and I asked him to pick me up two 50 gm tins of this new SG offering. He said no problem as there was a huge tobacconist right around the corner from where he lived. Well...he forgot!! Needless to say I was disappointed but managed to find some in bulk from a US vendor. I ordered 2 ounces to start. It arrived at the perfect moisture level for smoking - unlike most SG tobaccos in tin form. It was a medium dark brown which looked to be a very rubbed out flake and coarse. There was very little black Cavendish to my eye. The bag aroma was of nutmeg and only on deep inhalation can you pick up the cinnamon. I didn't pick up the scent of either Virginia or Burley, however it was very delightful.

Loading and lighting was very easy. Interestingly, there was not really any detectable flavor of what I picked up in the bag aroma. It really was a very well blended Va/Burley mixture with the Virginia slightly ahead of the Burley. Occasionally there was the faintest taste of cinnamon, but very elusive. Now, this may seem to be a bland smoke, but surprisingly it was quite good. It exhibited it a spiciness reminiscent of Best Brown Flake. There was a very subtle sweetness throughout and I found myself reaching for at least two more bowls after an initial smoke - each and every time. There was no goop/gurgling at all and it never smoked hot no matter how fast I puffed, with only a mild tongue tingling if pushed. The room note was very pleasant while smoking and especially so after returning to where it was being smoked. No Lakeland presence whatsoever and it DGTs very well. There is a solid nicotine presence as well. If I had to describe it in a sentence I would have to say it is SG's version of what an American codger Burley should be; and although primarily a Virginia, it can be a satisfiable, all day smoke, any time of the day. Not much in the way of body, however, but satisfying in a comforting way. I was so delighted that I have ordered 16 ounces more of this in bulk so as not to run out too soon. By the way, my son's roomie said he would ask his mum to pick up a few tins and send it to me direct; he felt so bad about forgetting to pick it up himself. I really don't want to run out of this if I can help it! An easy 4 stars for me - kind of like the summer hit sleeper at the movies! I'm going to ask his mum to pick up some of SG's Black Forrest too!

?pe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
?pe (41)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Tolerable

Initially strong almond flavouring shading to bland over time.

Pipe1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe1000 (14)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Tolerable to Strong

It was ok, smelt very Christmassy in the tin, but really for me it's nothing to sing and dance about. All in all fairly disappointed as the tin note was very nice! I will keep it and try a few more bowls to see if anything changes. No tongue bite, but needs drying. Enjoy - Happy New Year pipers!

pdev Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pdev (10)
Medium to Strong Strong Full Tolerable to Strong

A very nice smoke on opening the tin you are greeted with the smell of Christmas very much like a Christmas Pudding type of smell it also has the taste of a Christmas Pudding which fills the room with a very nice seasonal smell no need for scented candles with this blend all in all a very good blend that i would very much recommend