Erik Stokkebye's personal favorite! Bright Virginias, light brown Burleys and a touch of Black Cavendish combined to create perfect harmony. A naturally sweet tasting blend, the soft, creamy vanilla adds to the elegant room notes. Perfect for a relaxing moment any time of the day. The 1957 has more Virginia tobaccos which makes it a little more creamy.

BrandErik Stokkebye

3.2
fairaintfair Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
fairaintfair (1)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This blend provides for a rich smoking experience that, in many respects, has made for one of my favorite blends, well, ever.

Here's my breakdown

• Opening the Tin yielded a rich bouquet of Virginia, hugged by Vanilla with an ever so slight hint of Fig. It's Tin note is simply mouth watering, and I find it stunning. This is a beautifully crafted mix of flavors which I find much more complex than I was expecting.

• Initialy the smoke is very palitible, almost comforting. Mid bowl the sweet character evolves into a more mature, pronounced burnt vanilla. The creaminess returns at the heel. The smoke is varied enough not to overwhelm, and it always manage to present a variation of rich flavors.

• While moist, after letting the blend rest for 10-30 mins, 1957 smoked evenly without much fuss at all.

• Clearly, this type of creamy/sweet experience has to be "your gig". But I will maintain that a well crafted aromatic is an essential pipe smoking experience and 1957 delivers on all counts. If you have sworn off the accessibility of aromatics 1957 may be the blend that changes your mind.

So yeah..I loved 1957. A good year.

killerdo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
killerdo (3)

Not a bother to keep lit. Soft, creamy, vanilla. Not much bite. Great flavor, toasty/savory? I have enjoyed it both after dinner or relaxing in the middle of a humid summer afternoon. Halfway through the tin now. Getting more. Easily one of my favorites.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

First the good bits.

The aroma is quite nice: fresh creamy vanilla. Pleases the nose, but doesn't overpower it. Very well done. Might be one of the best vanilla notes out there. The flavor is also good throughout the bowl. Nothing to rave about, but well balanced and mildly satisfying.

But 1957 is too expensive for what it is. The tobacco quality is on a par with Mac Baren 7 Seas Gold, which is bargain grade. Not nearly as good a quality leaf as MB Vanilla Loose Cut which is much cheaper. Also the tobacco is too moist to smoke as is, not a good sign.

So this blend was a disappointment. I expect great tobaccos from Stokkebye, but 1957 is many steps below the classic Mac Baren line in quality, and yet is more expensive than the highest Mac Baren grades.

I hope to have better opinions of the other 3 blends in the 4th-Generation series, which I've purchased but have yet to try.

colonel jpl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
colonel jpl (14)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I went into this thinking one more vanilla blend. Opened a new tin and the tobacco smells great. No problem lighting and no problem keeping the tobacco lit. l like when i can enjoy the tobacco taste over the flavoring and this tobacco delivered. Complex and smooth no bite and a great room note. I will buy this again it is a pleasure to smoke.

Purchased From: smoking pipes

codyp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
codyp (65)
Very Mild Mild Medium Pleasant

A Pretty decent blend. The Tobacco itself seemed to be a bit dry, and I know many aromatics tend to bite your tongue. This blend did not. It burned a bit hot, but not hot enough to put down. It lit easily, but also burned faster then my other tobaccos.

Didn't really feel much strength. The room note was very pleasant, but was still a good pipe tobacco smell, which I look for.

The taste was surprisingly good. It was full and had hints of Vanilla. I would recommend this to an aromatic smoker, and will look into other blends from this blender.

Pipe Used: AKB Smooth Freehand Meerschaum

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (137)
Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Sorry I did not mean to review this one (except a few bowl sample), but I did review the other two 4th Generation naturals. (I smoked many bowls of them.) I guess Erik should have given them names rather than numbers so they can be remembered better.