Erik Peter, his Great Grandfather, founded his family’s tobacco business in Denmark and was known for his deep passion for natural tobacco flavors. Truly for the experienced pipe smoker, 1855 is a ready-rubbed blend of exceptional golden, mature Virginia tobaccos that demonstrates the natural
sweet Virginia taste and its pleasant aroma. The 1855 blend is an all-Virginia blend with very mature flue-cured tobaccos. There are a lot of natural sugars, and it is relatively a bit higher in nicotine. It’s a little bit stronger, but also
has the natural sweetness of the mature Virginias. It’s not for someone just starting out smoking pipe tobacco. It’s for somebody that likes a nice
full Virginia smoke.

Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
shintangle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
shintangle (1)

This is a very tasty Virginia. I like to smoke it in a cob with a cup of strong black coffee in the morning. The bitterness of the coffee contrasts nicely and brings to the front the rich sweet taste of this fine tobacco. It is the tobacco I reach for first every morning. I like this tobacco and highly recommend it.

I am sorry, I have tried this blend in several different pipes and in different kinds of pipes such as meers, briars, corn cobs, etc and I just can't get excited about it. There are a lot of VA blends out there that just have a better taste than this one and I enjoy more. It is not a bad blend, just average at best. To me it tastes more like a Va cigarette tobacco more than a good pipe tobacco. It does have a nice sweet pouch aroma and made my mouth water smelling it. It is all a long cut ribbon and is all golden in color. It is a little on the dry side and it does pack and light very easily. It has pretty much the standard fresh hay like flavor and room note common in a lot of straight Va's, but that is just it. It is like a lot of other run of the mill Va's out there with a much higher price. Nothing about it made me stop and take notice. I did not dislike it and I have smoked all the bowls I have smoked all the way down to a nice dry grey ash with little dottle, so I do have that to say about it, it does smoke nice and dry to the end. Would I smoke a pound of this blend if given it, yes. Would I buy a pound of this to smoke, absolutely not! So I can only rate this one as two stars out of four.

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (39)

The previous review is spot on: this is a fine smoke in every detail.

But exactly the same can be said of Mac Baren Va. No. 1, which is pretty much identical to 1855 as far as the base tobacco, cut, burning speed, and sweet Virginia flavour and aroma. The only difference is in top note: 1855 has a slightly more fragrant tin aroma which is oddly reminiscent of a Dutch cavendish like Sail. However, once the pipe is underway, that top note fades quickly.

Mac Baren Va. No. 1 is one of my favourite tobaccos. I think it's just about ideal in every regard. So it's impossible for me to dislike 1855. However, I don't see the advantage to pipe smokers of cloning Va. No. 1 with a slightly different top note and then charging an outrageous price for it.

Therefore I can't recommend 1855, given that the excellent Mac Baren Va. No. 1 is still available at such a reasonable price.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (138)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the straight bright Virginia in Erik's new line. It appears as a fully rubbed out flake. Many thick ribbons. Smells haylike in the tin.

Easy to pack and keep lit. No bite to me (if you control the cadence). Nice amount of flavor for a straight Virginia. However, I did not find it strong as suggested, either in taste or in nicotine.

It has a natural, refined sweetness to it. Not honey. Again to me it smells and tastes of natural tobacco. Aged sure. I could be fooled but if it had much in the way of additives it would be sensed more I believe.

I remember tasting something similar from I believe Sobranie House some 40 years ago. It was called Virginia something, and it was a finer cut. It was a duller taste but nice. This one is a bit richer, even if not enhanced by condiments.

It also reminds me quite a bit of N.Y. Connoisser's Cavendish, also now gone, but that one may have had a bit more Indonesian oils added.

Very nice tobacco. I had an ounce to sample from Erik a couple of months ago that I much enjoyed, and the several more bowls now from the tin are just as good if not better.

I believe this should be puffed slowly, as with any Virginia, and if you speed up it may lose flavor or become too warm. The flavors are delicate enough to lose in a storm of puffs. That's where the experience suggested comes in.

Best for straight Virginia smokers.