A strong, very rich English blend with a high percentage of smoky Latakia, sweet Virginia, strong Perique and full-bodied Black Cavendish. Spicy and opulent.

Notes: Huber's Balkan Sobranie clone

BrandPfeifen Huber
Blended ByHuber
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Kentucky, Latakia, Virginia
Packaging100 gram tin
Strength
Strong
Taste
Very Full
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong, Strong

crackonosh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
crackonosh (7)
Strong None Detected Very Full Strong

Strange fact: the tobacco is not available here in Czech Republic, despite the fact both Germany and Czechia are European Union members. Producer just doesn’t send the goods to our country. However, I was lucky enough to get one aged tin from one of the fellow pipe smokers.

Huber English Balkan offers amazing tin aroma. Huge portion of deep Latakia is accompanied with sweet Virginias and Black Cavendish and they make together a perfect Balkan mixture. Nice colorful cut, easy to light and keep lit. Very full in taste, but also very refined—definitely not boring. Keeps its beautiful taste to the very end. That five years old tin is probably my most favourite latakia these days.

Last week I got three more tins from the new production and compared fresh tobacco to the aged one. Of course the aging improves the quality in every aspect, but still—even the fresh material is great. In my opinion, this blend is among the best Balkans on the market.

Pipe Used: Stanwell briars

Age When Smoked: one five years old tin + one fresh one

Purchased From: Pfeifen Huber, Germany

Similar Blends: Dunhill Nightcap.

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Tolerable

I am always wondering to read here there ar so much smokers, who smoked in the backtime regular Balkan sobraine.

I am not. I smoked only one tin of one of the lastest variations. It couldnt stand beside Dunhill 965 to my licking.

as to Huber Balkan.

To much Cyprian Latakia and BC = way to sweet for me.

Its just too simple.

Over 50 % Cyprian + BC = should look like black and strong.

But its only a sweet smoky.

Maybe right for GLP fans

edit:

the simularities, hope that helps - dont get be fooled by namedropping LOL

Similar Blends: Kohlhase tobaccos:, all are more or less the same - no difference:, Kohlhase - Ashton Artisan´s Blend, Kohlhase - Rattray Black Mallory, Kohlhase - Huber Balkan Blend, Kohlhase - Astley's No.99 Royal Tudor Full Latakia Mixture, Kohlhase HU - Tobacco- Original Warehouseblend - Balkan Passion.

funkychorlton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
funkychorlton (5)
Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

I just started pipe smoking again after almost 30 years. I was dismayed to discover my favorite tobacco Balkan Sobranie* had disappeared in the interim, so I after a bit of research I tracked down a tin of this German blend. It is not very easy to buy because you can only get it direct from Huber and they have a high minimum order - I think 70 euro, but I scored a single tin on ebay. Divine smell out of the tin, dark rich, opulent leaf, perfectly moist. It smells and tastes pretty much exactly as I remember Balkan Sobrane all those years ago. Burns smoothly enough, very full flavour with a slight soapiness - for want of better word to describe the Latakia taste - as it gets down the bowl which I remember very well. Let's be honest there is a bit of farmyard aroma in the room note. If you smoked the old Sobranie I am sure you know what I mean. So if you are missing the old Balkan blend this is definitely worth a try. It might surprise you how close Huber got. After such a long break I don't regard myself as an expert but for me it is a perfectly satisfying replacement.

*edit: I should add I am referring to Balkan Sobranie 759