Brings you back when most American pipe tobaccos were based on Virginia and Burley. Bright and red Virginia form the base, and a bit of Dark fire-cured Kentucky adds body with a hint of smokiness. The blend is then hot pressed with a subtle dark, stewed fruit essence, to create a subtly-sweet mixture that can be smoked all day long. Join the forty-niners for a Slice Of Gold. Enjoy!

BrandHearth & Home
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByPipes & Cigars
Blend TypeAmerican
ContentsBurley, Kentucky, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
Taste
Mild, Mild to Medium, Medium
3.7
Clive Moses Apikouris Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Clive Moses Apikouris (30)

This unique tobacco smells wonderful upon opening the tin, like a nice almost oriental sweet and sour sauce. You will find flaky, moist, crumbly, multicolored clumps of brown and gold tobacco waiting for your pipe. Crumbling some in it takes a bit to get going and will easily go out in the beginning but once lit burns nicely. Now for the smoking taste experience. Here's where there is a bit of a let down. There's nothing objectionable here but also nothing special. I don't taste much in this offering but a slightly sweet and mild and nicely smooth Virginia. The Burley and Kentucky are there but and certainly give a bit of body but don't seem to offer much in the way of flavor. The finish is very clean and doesn't linger while the intensity slightly increases as you go through the bowl. The aroma of the smoke exhibits the same qualities of smell as the tin aroma. It's very nice. Slice O' Gold has a bit of mild Virginia tongue tingle but no actual bite to it so I can see how those who appreciate it's flavor could smoke a lot of this. Those who like their "vitamin N" will receive a decent but not overpowering dose. For me however it has little to offer so after a few tries I'll put it away again and try it again in a few months. While not perhaps my style it is of high quality and does deserve three stars and I can see it being a four star tobacco for many others.

Laserboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Laserboy (12)

A truly outstanding blend that has not yet received the attention it deserves. The tobacco comes as a very dense cake. This may cause some difficulty in lighting unless broken up very well. I find it tough to crumble by hand and resort to a pocket knife. Once lit, it stays lit to the bottom of the bowl. It smokes very nicely in any size bowl, but I really enjoy it in a fairly large one. The smoke is flavorful and it burns very slowly due to the dense cake. I find the burley to be the dominant flavor, which I don't mind one bit. The Virginias provide a very subtle sweetness. I think that some potential consumers of this might be put off by the description of the toppings. Don't be: They are subtle and applied with a delicate touch. Based on the tin description, I was prepared for something like Ennerdale and expected a Lakeland experience. But this is much more subtle. In fact, I wouldn't mind a touch more sweetness and topping--but just the smallest bit. I cannot get this to bite. I've put aside several tins in the cellar as I expect that this one will age very well (but very slowly--which is a good thing if one is thinking very long term). I think I will be getting a few more tins for more-immediate smoking as I think this will be something of a go-to blend for a while.

robinbj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robinbj (5)

This is a fantastic smoke! Tin note is of Va, a hint of burley, stewed fruit and some black/ green tea.

Very well blended tobacco in a nice cake, and certainly something that should be tried at least once!