A strong, chocolaty and spicy Malawi Burley is at the center of the Dockworker Flake. It is complemented by spicy oriental grades and Virginia from Zambia, India and the Philippines. The result is a sweet-spicy blend with a beautiful Burley/Oriental touch. This unusual blend impresses with a very complex and well balanced flavor. A medium strong flake for friends of fragrant tobaccos . No added flavor!

BrandHU Tobacco
Blended ByHans Wiedemann
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Packaging50gr tin
Strength
Taste
Medium to Full, Full

3.9
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The spicy Malawi burley is top notch, and is chocolatey and slightly nutty with some earthiness. There's more spice from the Orientals that amps up the flavor with a touch of Turkish lingering in the back ground. The Virginia plays a back up role, but I get a hint of citrus and grass from it. The description say there's no topping, but I taste berries and fruit along with the chocolate. The flake breaks apart rather easily, burns slow, even and well with hardly a relight, and as is the case with most HU blends, leave almost no moisture. Almost sweet enough to be an aromatic, but it never crosses the line, and has enough going for it to please almost any smoker.

Mundungus Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mundungus (7)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

I'm from the States and this is just to confirm what the other reviewers have said. I was gifted a tin of this rarity, and completely astonished by it. Its "umami" is unique and unforgettable--like RRR or Balkan Sobranie or Penzance, it is simply sui generis. My buddy Sensei RaiKo was able to procure an additional 3 tins of this for me, but I'll be saving each bowl for a special occasion. I've never enjoyed burley in a tobacco--until now. My usual preferences run to VaPers, Dark Star, and the English / Balkans I've mentioned. I can only hope someone here in the U.S. will take notice and make it possible for us to get this in the U.S. on a regular basis.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (111)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was gifted about an ounce or so after expressing an interest in this stuff. Wasn't really sure what to expect from it so it was a complete blank slate to me.

The tin aroma is one of tropical fruits, can't really pin it down, is it mango? Pineapple perhaps? Either way or both, it's a very nice smell. Rubbing out and packing are easy, the flakes don't give any resistance and the lighting is easy. The fruitiness carries over into the smoke, it's mild, possibly delicate might be a good adjective, but still nice. It fades towards the bottom of the bowl, giving way to something slightly caramel-like and maybe a little earthy. There's no tonguebite either, another plus.

This is a cracking flake, not wildly exciting but it has a gorgeous, mild and mellow flavour that pleases and soothes in the nicest of fashions. Ergo, four stars has it.

Pipe Used: Portland Miniweight Billiard

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

Industro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Industro (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is simply a work of genius. I love all the different leaves, but Burley and Oriental the most. Still, I wouldn´t have thought someone could come up with the idea of mixing them in such high proportions, and that the result would be this great. The Malawi is chocolaty to a degree, that one could argue, whether there´s casing involved or not. But it just tastes that natural, that I´d like to believe the blender, Hans. There´s a lot of complexity during the smoke, which lasts qite a while, but all the time it´s absolutely delicious. Easily an all day smoke, but I can very well understand why some pipe brothers want to spare it for special occasions. Where my former go to Burley blend (London BB by Mac Baren) forced me to smoke cautiously, the Dockworker is pure tongue balm, even if pushed. Not that it´s negative, but the flakes need a bit drying prior to smoking, out of the tin doesn´t work. Room note´s not great, but who cares?

Pipeliner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeliner (12)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Dockworker is a medium bodied virginia flake mixed with orient and malawi burley. A very nice combination with a spicy and lovely taste. The virginia tobaccos are sweet enough to give this flake in combination with the orient and the burley tobaccos a creamy taste without any tounge bite. Burley is often a bit harsh and cigarish but not in this blend. The Dockworker is totally uncomplicated and burns very well. Very nice for every time of the day and of course also the night. A very well made and wonderful flake

Käpt`n Cook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Käpt`n Cook (15)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The new flake of Hu Tobacco is really a special blend. I feel like Smoky and Weisenheimer and can not say much different.Personally I am fascinated of the wonderful spiciness of this blend. The strong Malawi Burley brings nice chocolaty tones and the Orient leafe brings the beautiful spiciness. This combination is really genial. 4 stars for this innovative flake

smoky Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoky (2)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Dockworker - a new flake blended by Hu-Tobacco. Orient and Malawi Burley is the message of this wonderfully flake. This combination is very unusual and personally I never smoked before. But let me say, it`s a great combination. Different virginia tobaccos form the base of the dockworker, mixed with 12% orient leaf and 20 % chocolaty burley grades from Malawi. I can not describe the result exactly. I taste chocolaty notes, ethereally and spicy notes but also a hint vanille. But do not misunderstand, this flavors are not chemical. This notes of taste are the result of the wonderfully tobacco combination. No tongue bite, no bitter notes and no boredom. A great characterfully tobacco. Highly recommended

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (17)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

From the choice of leaf and its various origin, this is a blend which ultimately stands for its own!

When I read "Burley", this often reminds me to a blend which might taste quite "cigarish" and somewhat harsh. This is absolutely not the case for Hans Wiedemann's quite innovative creation.

Whatever 'Dockworker' stands for, this tobacco is an almost sweetish blend, full and deep in flavour an coming along with a pleasant cocoa and somewhat "nuttily" taste, which makes it a wonderful creamy and surprisingly pleasant blend, with a nice play in the taste notes, never boring. No tongue bite, and the room note qualified as being "spouse-friendly", Dockworker has earned one of the best pipes you proudly own.

In short: A full pleasure to smoke - for all involved ! Swell ! Ready to take off ?

This is a pretty good blend. I am not sure how much the orientals played on my tastebuds as it seemed like a straight up vabur flake to me. I can only assume that their presence in this blend is light. It is a hard one to peg down for me and my sample was rather small from which to form a proper opinion. I had about a bowl left and decided to give it to someone else who wanted to try it.

I do know that if this was a four star blend, there is no way I would have had one bowl left to give. I will give it the benefit of the doubt and leave it at three stars for now.

Purchased From: gifted sample