A strong, chocolaty and spicy Malawi Burley is at the center of the Dockworker Flake. It is complemented by spicy Orientals and Virginia from Zambia, India and the Philippines. The result is a sweet-spicy blend with a beautiful Burley/Oriental touch. This unusual blend impresses with a very complex and well balanced flavor. A medium strong flake for friends of fragrant tobaccos . No added flavor!

BrandHU Tobacco
Blended ByHans Wiedemann
Manufactured ByDan Tobacco Manufacturing (DTM)
Blend TypeBurley Based
ContentsBurley, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia
Strength
Taste
Full

3.9
Medium Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The mildly spicy Malawi burley is top notch, and is chocolatey and slightly nutty with some earthiness. It is the dominant tobacco. There's more spice from the buttery, woody Orientals that amps up the flavor with a touch of dry, woody Turkish lingering in the back ground. The Virginia plays a back up role with a hint of citrus, dark fruit, earth and grass. The description say there's no topping, but I taste a mild and rich berry and fruit along with the chocolate. Has a mild nic-hit. The flake breaks apart rather easily, burns slow, cool, clean, even and well with not many relights, and as is the case with most HU blends, leaves almost no moisture in the bowl. The flavor is consistent form start to finish without weakening. Has no harsh spots, and won't bite even if pushed. Has a pleasant, lingering after taste and room note. Not quite an all day smoke due to the level of sweetness, which pushed the taste level just past medium.

-JimInks

Industro Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Industro (2)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable to Strong

This is simply a work of genius. I love all the different leaves, but Burley and Oriental the most. Still, I wouldn´t have thought someone could come up with the idea of mixing them in such high proportions, and that the result would be this great. The Malawi is chocolaty to a degree, that one could argue, whether there´s casing involved or not. But it just tastes that natural, that I´d like to believe the blender, Hans. There´s a lot of complexity during the smoke, which lasts qite a while, but all the time it´s absolutely delicious. Easily an all day smoke, but I can very well understand why some pipe brothers want to spare it for special occasions. Where my former go to Burley blend (London BB by Mac Baren) forced me to smoke cautiously, the Dockworker is pure tongue balm, even if pushed. Not that it´s negative, but the flakes need a bit drying prior to smoking, out of the tin doesn´t work. Room note´s not great, but who cares?

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (139)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I was gifted about an ounce or so after expressing an interest in this stuff. Wasn't really sure what to expect from it so it was a complete blank slate to me.

The tin aroma is one of tropical fruits, can't really pin it down, is it mango? Pineapple perhaps? Either way or both, it's a very nice smell. Rubbing out and packing are easy, the flakes don't give any resistance and the lighting is easy. The fruitiness carries over into the smoke, it's mild, possibly delicate might be a good adjective, but still nice. It fades towards the bottom of the bowl, giving way to something slightly caramel-like and maybe a little earthy. There's no tonguebite either, another plus.

This is a cracking flake, not wildly exciting but it has a gorgeous, mild and mellow flavour that pleases and soothes in the nicest of fashions. Ergo, four stars has it.

Pipe Used: Portland Miniweight Billiard

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Gifted

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28472)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

I'm from the States and this is just to confirm what the other reviewers have said. I was gifted a tin of this rarity, and completely astonished by it. Its "umami" is unique and unforgettable--like RRR or Balkan Sobranie or Penzance, it is simply sui generis. My buddy Sensei RaiKo was able to procure an additional 3 tins of this for me, but I'll be saving each bowl for a special occasion. I've never enjoyed burley in a tobacco--until now. My usual preferences run to VaPers, Dark Star, and the English / Balkans I've mentioned. I can only hope someone here in the U.S. will take notice and make it possible for us to get this in the U.S. on a regular basis.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (293)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

Dockworker is some heavenly weed! First off: Hans said this flake has a fruity-CASING before they press the flakes - which I find easily detectable, yet it really just flatters the notes of the Orientals, giving the blend 'that certain something'..

Lovely flakes, easy to pack, light and keep lit, just a tad too moist for my gusto. Others may find the moisture perfect, as I like my tobacco on the dry side.

This is a Burley/Orient Flake to me, with the Virginias just rounding the edges! Or shall I say "Burliental"?! Ok, I'll leave the pun-making to others. Lots of Burley goodness, richly earthy, decently nutty, pleasantly tart and a little chocolaty, as well as a distinctive Oriental aroma of ethereal and floral notes, nutty and woodsy-dry aroma. The fruity casing flatters the character of the Orientals very well and isn't always noticeable - in fact some don't taste it at all, as it's hard to say if it's the casing or the combination of Orient+Virginia leafs. I find that wide(r) bowls give me the best smoke with this blend. Fine Burley leaf used here, mainly earthy and woodsy with mild notes its signature nut and chocolate - most natural!

Burley-Aficionados will love this just as Oriental-Fans may do, I think. Has some boldness to it, but not overly strong. Satisfying, decently complex and rounded smoke! 4-stars! Update: I went through my first tin like a bush-fire and instantly re-ordered 2 more tins... a very high ranking favorite of mine, Top-5 tobacco blends material here for my palate!

Pipe Used: Clays, Cobs, Briars

MikeHaggarKJ Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MikeHaggarKJ (22)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Robust, dark and powerful pure tobacco flavour. Earthy, bold, and it just has SO much flavour, never gets boring. Great dark chocolate, cigar and spice notes, perfectly balanced for my palate. Burley is top notch, never gets bitter nor are there any hints off cardboard flavour. Not alot off sweetness from the virginia here, just a tad. The slight addition off Virginia keeps the flavour from being too dry and adds some body and feel to the smoke. Burns well. Will only become harsh and cigarette-esque if you REALLY provoke it, no risk at a normal or even above normal smoking pace. An absolute masterpiece. I'm starting to beleive Malawi Burley is the greatest tobacco in existence (this isn't the only blend that convinces me)

Pipeliner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeliner (13)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The Dockworker is a medium bodied virginia flake mixed with orient and malawi burley. A very nice combination with a spicy and lovely taste. The virginia tobaccos are sweet enough to give this flake in combination with the orient and the burley tobaccos a creamy taste without any tounge bite. Burley is often a bit harsh and cigarish but not in this blend. The Dockworker is totally uncomplicated and burns very well. Very nice for every time of the day and of course also the night. A very well made and wonderful flake

Käpt`n Cook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Käpt`n Cook (17)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

The new flake of Hu Tobacco is really a special blend. I feel like Smoky and Weisenheimer and can not say much different.Personally I am fascinated of the wonderful spiciness of this blend. The strong Malawi Burley brings nice chocolaty tones and the Orient leafe brings the beautiful spiciness. This combination is really genial. 4 stars for this innovative flake

Weisenheimer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Weisenheimer (19)
Medium Very Mild Full Pleasant

From the choice of leaf and its various origin, this is a blend which ultimately stands for its own!

When I read "Burley", this often reminds me to a blend which might taste quite "cigarish" and somewhat harsh. This is absolutely not the case for Hans Wiedemann's quite innovative creation.

Whatever 'Dockworker' stands for, this tobacco is an almost sweetish blend, full and deep in flavour an coming along with a pleasant cocoa and somewhat "nuttily" taste, which makes it a wonderful creamy and surprisingly pleasant blend, with a nice play in the taste notes, never boring. No tongue bite, and the room note qualified as being "spouse-friendly", Dockworker has earned one of the best pipes you proudly own.

In short: A full pleasure to smoke - for all involved ! Swell ! Ready to take off ?

GabrielCRT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
GabrielCRT (95)

This is a fine flake tobacco. The Burley shares the same rich chocolatey note as many Burley blends but with some added spice. The Orientals are spicy and woody. The exotic Virginias are subtle, grassy, earthy, and sweet. There are occasional fruit-like flavors but nothing that seems artificial. Overall the flavor profile is spicy which isn't too common for a Burley blend and it works tremendously. I am a fan of Solani's Aged Burley Flake but I would definitively reach for this over ABF. This offers significantly more complexity. My sample will soon run out and I'll be wishing it was available in the U.S. !

This is a pretty good blend. I am not sure how much the orientals played on my tastebuds as it seemed like a straight up vabur flake to me. I can only assume that their presence in this blend is light. It is a hard one to peg down for me and my sample was rather small from which to form a proper opinion. I had about a bowl left and decided to give it to someone else who wanted to try it.

I do know that if this was a four star blend, there is no way I would have had one bowl left to give. I will give it the benefit of the doubt and leave it at three stars for now.

Purchased From: gifted sample

Emeritus Account Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Emeritus Account (28472)
Medium Extremely Mild Full Tolerable

Dockworker - a new flake blended by Hu-Tobacco. Orient and Malawi Burley is the message of this wonderfully flake. This combination is very unusual and personally I never smoked before. But let me say, it`s a great combination. Different virginia tobaccos form the base of the dockworker, mixed with 12% orient leaf and 20 % chocolaty burley grades from Malawi. I can not describe the result exactly. I taste chocolaty notes, ethereally and spicy notes but also a hint vanille. But do not misunderstand, this flavors are not chemical. This notes of taste are the result of the wonderfully tobacco combination. No tongue bite, no bitter notes and no boredom. A great characterfully tobacco. Highly recommended

Medium Extremely Mild Full Pleasant

Having read a few reviews here, and finally finding an outlet that lets me buy HU's tobaccos, I ordered a selection, and this just happens to be the first tin I opened. I was greeted by a fruity, wine-y, sweet and very gently spicy tin note, and by a liner sheet that marks this blend as having been made in Lauenburg, Germany by Dan Tobacco. As do the size and thickness of the flake slices.

Rubbing out enough for a bowl, I get more good aroma, I do notice the sauce (probably applied to the VA component before pressing), but it is not dominating. Lighting and maintenance are easy, a single match will get me to practically no dottle. The flavour profile is very interesting, the Orientals contributing a lot, the sauce firmly in the background, but providing some fruity flavours, and the Burley laying a solid groundwork for the other components. Gently spicy, sweet, rich flavour, with almost a rotation of forward notes keeping the smoke interesting.

Brilliant stuff. Going to get more.

Pipe Used: Vauen DeLuxe, db Mayflower

Age When Smoked: Fresh from new tin

Purchased From: cigarworld.de

Similar Blends: Nothing I could think of at this time..

WolfmanSam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WolfmanSam (32)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

The tin note is reminiscent of chocolate morsels. The flakes are unusually wide and slightly damp. They can be smoked as is, but I sometimes set them aside to dry. I usually fold and stuff, but rubbing out works well too.

Upon lighting, I sense cocoa, nuts, wood, and some darkish fruit. The cocoa is savoury and ever present, as is the peppery spiciness. They both get bolder with quick puffing.

It’s medium in body, while the nicotine level is just shy of medium. It’s burns at a moderate pace, and is never harsh. It smokes well in briars and cobs.

This is another winner from HU. I really enjoy smoking this blend. I’m not sure it will appeal to most burley smokers. It’s made with Oriental and Turkish tobaccos, which are not common in burley blends.

Cumarinophil Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cumarinophil (106)
Medium None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Dockworker smells appetizing like hay and grass with creamy tobacco sweetness out of the tin. The moisture is ready for smoking; the small flakes feel spongy and almost fall apart when I take them out. I´d love to have this one as a crumble cake.

Full, pleasing tobacco taste, not complex but nicely balanced with high quality components contributing to the mix. I find it tangy-sweet with additional notes of hay, grass and earth. Its strength is a bit over medium to me, but the nicotine only kicks in after about half the bowl. Dockworker feels so buttery smooth on the tongue that I have to consciously limit my cadence. Funny to experience how fragrant pipe tobacco can be without any toppings.

I highly recommend this creation to anyone who likes tobacco hands down. Maybe I should add that this doesn’t feel like a German blend but more like a C&D to me.

Pipe Used: Various with and without filter

Similar Blends: C&D Sunset Harbor Flake.