An Altadis tentative to match the legendary Mc-Murray's (after, it was branded for some time by Dunhill's)), now discontinued Blend: Elisabethan Mixture.
Is a well combined blend of Virginia with Perique.

ContentsVirginia, Perique
Strength
Taste
Full
Tolerable, Tolerable to Strong
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable to Strong

I've compared this to the original (which once was a regular smoke for me) and I'd say this blend is in the ballpark, but not an exact match. The original is a little more complex in taste. I taste the bright Virginia a little less in the Match. The perique is very peppery in both, but more noticeable in the Match. As much as I liked the original, I like this Match very much. Forget whether it's a perfect match: if you like VaPers with a decent dose of perique, you'll like this.

The original was the only pipe tobacco I ever smoked that my wife couldn't stand. Last year, around Christmas, I opened my last tin of the original. My wife said, "That stuff stinks!" A few months later, when I bought the Match, my wife said, "Are you smoking that crap again?" She most certainly thought it was the same tobacco just by the smell. That just struck me kinda funny.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (152)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Is a blend of Virginia with Perique. During smoking, the Perique is easily scented, peppery, very peppery. After a few minutes, you may note the Virginia. Is a decent Virginia-Perique. No complexity. The components easily separated If you enjoy a mixture not complex, when the Virginia and the Perique can be easily noted, try this.