A Sutliff match of the legendary Murray's (after it was branded for some time by Dunhill) now discontinued Elizabethan Mixture. It is a well combined blend of Virginia with Perique.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
None Detected, Mild, Mild to Medium
Taste
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I’ve compared this to the original (which once was a regular smoke for me) and I'd say this blend is fairly close, but not an exact match. It’s certainly closer than the current DE production by Dunhill, which I consider to be inferior to both the original and the Sutliff Match. The Murray’s version was a little more complex in taste, and had just a little more bright lemon Virginia. The perique is very peppery in both, slightly more plumy here. The brown Virginia is virtually identical. As much as I liked the Murray’s product, I like this Match very much, and would say it may be as close as you can get. A little more sprinkling of lemon Va., and it’d virtually be the same. Because the new version is different from the Murray’s, which is what the Match attempted to copy, I would not consider them to be similar. The proportion of ingredients in the new version is different and the shag cut is as well.

The Murray’s version of DE was one of the very few blends m'lady openly complained about. When they quit making it, she was very happy. A couple of years back, I tried the Match for the first time. Five minutes after I started smoking it, she came back to the studio and said, "Are you smoking that crap again? I thought they quit making it." Telling me that she recognized the smell after several years just struck me kinda funny. That, besides the taste, amplified my assessment that the Match is close indeed.

I have either never had the original or it was bowl or two from friends 30 years ago. I am not comparing this to my memory or my imagination.

I found this to be a solid VaPer. The Virginias are both bright and dark, and provide an excellent foundation. They are slightly heavy and full with just a little citrus and hay. The perique is a solid presence that does not overpower. It is peppery when puffed and some plum is there when sipped. I did not taste any topping.

I liked this, and I could see smoking a lot of it. It is not one of those tobaccos that wows you or has you marveling at complexity. If you are looking for a "full" VaPer that satisfies, this one is a solid 3+.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (165)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Is a blend of Virginia with Perique. During smoking, the Perique is easily scented, peppery, very peppery. After a few minutes, you may note the Virginia. Is a decent Virginia-Perique. No complexity. The components easily separated If you enjoy a mixture not complex, when the Virginia and the Perique can be easily noted, try this.