A Sutliff match of the legendary Murray's (after it was branded for some time by Dunhill) now discontinued Elizabethan Mixture. It is a well combined blend of Virginia with perique.

Blended ByCarl McCallister
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsPerique, Virginia
Strength
Mild to Medium, Medium to Strong
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
3.6
JimInks (1974)

I’ve compared this to the original (which once was a regular smoke for me) and I'd say this blend is fairly close, but not an exact match. It’s certainly closer than the current DE production by Dunhill, which I consider to be inferior to both the original and the Sutliff Match. The Murray’s version was a little more complex in taste, and had just a little more bright lemon Virginia. The perique is very peppery in both, slightly more plumy here. The brown Virginia is virtually identical: a little grass and earth with some citrus. As much as I liked the Murray’s product, I would say this is as close as you can get. A little more sprinkling of citrusy, spicy floral lemon Va., and it’d virtually be the same. Because the new version is different from the Murray’s, which is what the Match attempted to copy, I would not consider them to be similar. The proportion of ingredients in the new Dunhill version is different, and is a shag cut , which the original never was. Nor is this Match, which is ribbon cut.

The nic-hit here is in the center of mild to medium, which is a tad less than the Murray’s version. The strength level is closer to medium than it is to mild, while the Murray’s was medium. No chance of bite or harshness is present. Burns cool and clean at a moderate pace with a very consistent flavor. Leaves little dampness in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. Has a pleasant, slightly lingering after taste, and stronger room note. Can be an all day smoke for most people.

The Murray’s version of DE was one of the very few blends m'lady openly complained about. When they quit making it, she was very happy. A couple of years back, I tried the Match for the first time. Five minutes after I started smoking it, she came back to the studio and said, "Are you smoking that crap again? I thought they quit making it." Telling me that she recognized the smell after several years just struck me kinda funny. That, besides the taste, amplified my assessment that the Match is close indeed. I gave the Murray's version four stars. Couldn't do that for the new release, which is a two star blend. This gets four stars.

I have either never had the original or it was bowl or two from friends 30 years ago. I am not comparing this to my memory or my imagination.

I found this to be a solid VaPer. The Virginias are both bright and dark, and provide an excellent foundation. They are slightly heavy and full with just a little citrus and hay. The perique is a solid presence that does not overpower. It is peppery when puffed and some plum is there when sipped. I did not taste any topping.

I liked this, and I could see smoking a lot of it. It is not one of those tobaccos that wows you or has you marveling at complexity. If you are looking for a "full" VaPer that satisfies, this one is a solid 3+.

albfneto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
albfneto (183)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

Is a blend of Virginia with Perique. During smoking, the Perique is easily scented, peppery, very peppery. After a few minutes, you may note the Virginia. Is a decent Virginia-Perique. No complexity. The components easily separated If you enjoy a mixture not complex, when the Virginia and the Perique can be easily noted, try this.

SmoothGentleman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SmoothGentleman (5)

Very tangy and citrusy; the bright virginias play a big part in it. The perique isn't peppery, or not enough to be noticeable, but gives a sweet plum flavour. It is a very sweet tobacco. I would probably suggest it to someone who smokes aros and wants to try out virginias and Va/Per. Not an overly complex smoke, but an enjoyable all-day smoke for certain.

Pipe Used: MM legend

Age When Smoked: Less than one week

Purchased From: 4noggins

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

Sutliff Tobacco Company - Match Dunhill Elizabethan Mixture.

Having no idea of the original I'll forego any attempt to make a comparison. But that doesn't really matter to me though, as this is a damn good blend, whether it's a clone or not!

The mixture's quite coarsely cut, there's a few sizeable leaf like pieces. The majority of the blend looks medium brown, but there are one or two jet black specks mixed in. The smell from the loose pouch is pure and uncased.

The smoke tastes FABULOUS. I get lots more Perique than Virginia; it may be a bit too much for some. There's lots of 'dark' Perique subtleties: it's plummy, figgy, and rich, with an equal measure of spice. I don't get much of the Virginia, I can't really identify much grass/citrus from it; I often struggle picking up on Va traits in heavier tasting blends, though. The temperature of the smoke's relatively low, and it burns superbly.

I get a decent hit of nicotine from this, and unlike my fellow reviewers to date I don't find the room-note too bad!

An easy one to rate:

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Altinok Lee Van Cleef Meer' (friday pipe)

Age When Smoked: One month