Virginia, 2 Burleys, Turkish, Oriental, Cigar Leaf and Perique produce a medium strength blend with a smooth, full range of flavors.

Notes: The 'Dark Horse' blend is an adjustment of 'Soulmate's Kiss' in which Cigar Leaf replaces the Latakia. It is the newest John Patton blend.

BrandJohn Patton
Blended ByJohn Patton / Rich Gottlieb
Manufactured By4noggins.com
Blend TypeOther
ContentsBurley, Cigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
None Detected, Mild
Taste

A tremendously flavorful smoke. I recommend smoking it in a big bowl pipe so you can savor the multiplicity of flavors from a variety of components. The cigar leaf, orientals, turkish, and perique add nice bass notes, nicely balancing out the toasted burley and Virginia. The taste varies just slightly as you smoke it down as some ingredients make themselves a little more known. But generally, this is a near perfectly blended mixture, so it doesn't change that much. It's bite free, burns evenly, and doesn't need much relighting. It may not sound like an all day smoke considering what's in it, but it's not overly strong, though it's full in taste. A real treat to smoke and very deserving of four stars.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (71)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I think this is one of the best blends I've smoked in over thirty years. It has no Latakia so the sharp slightly smoky notes in 'Soulmate's Kiss' are absent, and the slightly sour notes of the Perique and Turkish are more noticeable...odd, as I think this tastes a little sweeter than the 'Soulmate' blend. Similar in some ways to Oriental Dusk and Crossroads, this comes across to me a bit spicier and with a richer flavor...a very complex and alluring concoction - flavors dancing about like a dervish - sometimes they run up hooting and whistling and whack at you with a club...other times it's as a soft caress or a longing sigh. It's easy to work with, burns well, isn't fussy about briar...but seems to love a medium bowl of slightly deep dimensions. And it absolutely has a special relationship with the MM Freehand Cob and like most Patton blends does it's finest work there.

I've been smoking a pipe for a long time, and have at this point settled on these 'American/Oriental/Balkan' - flights of Patton Fantasy - as the best tasting and most interesting blends out there. If you haven't tried them yet...do yourself a favor...Crossroads, Oriental Dusk and Dark Horse. Three solid winners!

Edgy6gun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Edgy6gun (7)

Let me start by saying that I like this blend. I have a huge jar of it. Others who have said that this blend has a wide range of things going on and can be a little difficult for your brain to categorize in the flavors and smells are exactly right. It is a bit of a platypus. That being said, it is a great alternative to English or Balkin blends with Latakia in them because you get the complexity that comes from the Oriental/Burley/Perique (in that order of strength) but the extra spice comes from a touch of cigar leaf instead of a touch of Latakia which frames the other tobaccos in a different way. I enjoy this as a break from my normal diet of Virginia flakes when I don't want something with the chimney-like Latakia element, but I do want that savory flavor of Oriental instead of sweet Virginia. A great blend not only for its rather unique blending but also for its quality.

Pipe Used: Peterson System, cob, large meer

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (48)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a curious blend. It has such a wide variety of different leaf in it you don't know what to expect. Taste-wise, I've found the blend neither outstanding, nor displeasing—rather just middling for me. It's such a hodge-podge my taste buds didn't know where to go with it. I don't regret trying it, but will not purchase it again. I like Patton's Storm Front much, much, better. I'm looking forward to trying some of his other blends.

Cheers!

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: 4noggins

Mouse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mouse (7)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A lovely blend. I concur with Blackhorse's review, one of John Patton's best blends. Full, rich, and tasty. Well worth a try.

ZenForest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZenForest (3)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

I had to throw this bag of "pipe" tobacco away it was so bad.

Tasted like smoking some cheap cigarette tobacco only from my pipe.

I could not tolerate more than a single bowl at a time, and found myself forcing it.....so literally threw the bag away.