Virginia, 2 Burleys, Turkish, Oriental, Cigar Leaf and Perique produce a medium strength blend with a smooth, full range of flavors. The 'Dark Horse' blend is an adjustment of 'Soulmate's Kiss' in which Cigar Leaf replaces the Latakia. It is the newest John Patton blend.

Notes: Sold through 4noggins.com.

BrandJohn Patton
Blended ByJohn Patton / Rich Gottlieb
Manufactured By4noggins
Blend TypeOther
ContentsBurley, Cigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Taste

A tremendously flavorful smoke. I recommend smoking it in a big bowl pipe so you can savor the multiplicity of flavors from a variety of components. The cigar leaf, orientals, turkish, and perique add nice bass notes, nicely balancing out the toasted burley and Virginia. The taste varies just slightly as you smoke it down as some ingredients make themselves a little more known. But generally, this is a near perfectly blended mixture, so it doesn't change that much. It's bite free, burns evenly, and doesn't need much relighting. It may not sound like an all day smoke considering what's in it, but it's not overly strong, though it's full in taste. A real treat to smoke and very deserving of four stars.

Blackhorse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blackhorse (71)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I think this is one of the best blends I've smoked in over thirty years. It has no Latakia so the sharp slightly smoky notes in 'Soulmate's Kiss' are absent, and the slightly sour notes of the Perique and Turkish are more noticeable...odd, as I think this tastes a little sweeter than the 'Soulmate' blend. Similar in some ways to Oriental Dusk and Crossroads, this comes across to me a bit spicier and with a richer flavor...a very complex and alluring concoction - flavors dancing about like a dervish - sometimes they run up hooting and whistling and whack at you with a club...other times it's as a soft caress or a longing sigh. It's easy to work with, burns well, isn't fussy about briar...but seems to love a medium bowl of slightly deep dimensions. And it absolutely has a special relationship with the MM Freehand Cob and like most Patton blends does it's finest work there.

I've been smoking a pipe for a long time, and have at this point settled on these 'American/Oriental/Balkan' - flights of Patton Fantasy - as the best tasting and most interesting blends out there. If you haven't tried them yet...do yourself a favor...Crossroads, Oriental Dusk and Dark Horse. Three solid winners!

Edgy6gun Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Edgy6gun (7)

Let me start by saying that I like this blend. I have a huge jar of it. Others who have said that this blend has a wide range of things going on and can be a little difficult for your brain to categorize in the flavors and smells are exactly right. It is a bit of a platypus. That being said, it is a great alternative to English or Balkin blends with Latakia in them because you get the complexity that comes from the Oriental/Burley/Perique (in that order of strength) but the extra spice comes from a touch of cigar leaf instead of a touch of Latakia which frames the other tobaccos in a different way. I enjoy this as a break from my normal diet of Virginia flakes when I don't want something with the chimney-like Latakia element, but I do want that savory flavor of Oriental instead of sweet Virginia. A great blend not only for its rather unique blending but also for its quality.

Pipe Used: Peterson System, cob, large meer

WillBrown Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WillBrown (75)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

This is a curious blend. It has such a wide variety of different leaf in it you don't know what to expect. Taste-wise, I've found the blend neither outstanding, nor displeasing—rather just middling for me. It's such a hodge-podge my taste buds didn't know where to go with it. I don't regret trying it, but will not purchase it again. I like Patton's Storm Front much, much, better. I'm looking forward to trying some of his other blends.

Cheers!

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie

Age When Smoked: ?

Purchased From: 4noggins

Mouse Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mouse (7)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

A lovely blend. I concur with Blackhorse's review, one of John Patton's best blends. Full, rich, and tasty. Well worth a try.

ColinK Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ColinK (13)

This one was an easy buy for me, but I am not so sure on it right now. Had my first bowl earlier today, and it certainly lives up to its' name as an "other". Upon lighting, I just didnt like it. Super harsh, and burned super-hot. Let it go for a bit and kept at it but just got heat and cigarette type smoke. Then, I put the pipe down and walked away for a bit. When I returned and re-lit, it came to life. Honestly, the reviews that indicate that this is a mix of flavors and tastes are dead on. To me, it tasted like and smoked like a crushed cigar placed in my pipe. I kept after it and had some taste stops along the way that came through clearly. Cigar leaf, followed by burley, followed by a brief check-in at orientals. I dont see this being a regular go to, but a certain one for a shake-up from my norms. Worth adding to the rotation for certain.

Pipe Used: Peterson 107

Age When Smoked: Jarred for about two weeks

Purchased From: 4Noggins is the only option.

Virginia lover Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Virginia lover (144)

A tobacco that is full of flavors, earthy, spicy with a slight sweetness and sourness. If a bit on the dry side, it smokes without a glitch and the taste is that of a full bodied cigar in a pipe smoking way. Cigar leaf mixtures are hard to balance but this one is a winner. Works nicely on a colder day or after a meal.

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (50)

Oh My! I am smoking a bowl of this blend and I have to say it's excellent!!! Kudos to John Patton for creating one of the most complex and smooth cigar blends ever.

I have tried several of his blends and this has to be one of my Favorite Patton Blends.

For those Pipe Smokers who like a little cigar leaf in their blends - this is the one to try!!!

Pipe Used: Don Warren Lovat

Purchased From: 4 Noggins

A very tasty blend, but also a little aggravating. The tasty part first. Nice floral, incense-like notes and a mild sourness from the Orientals. The Perique is fruity and spicy; the Virginias, fruity and sweet. The Burley is sweet and earthy. Can't pick up any nuttiness. The cigar leaf is spicy and earthy. The predominate nuances are sweet, earthy and spicy. At first it seems to lack depth, but it increases as the bowl progresses.

The aggravating part. It takes a while before this gets to burning well enough that you can put your matches aside. Like about half-way through the bowl. I don't smoke to become aggravated. Big minus for me. I not only give this 2 stars, I give it my middle finger as well. Damn shame 'cause it taste pretty good.

Mild to medium in body. Medium in flavor.

Pipe Used: MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

Purchased From: 4noggins

ZenForest Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ZenForest (3)
Mild Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

I had to throw this bag of "pipe" tobacco away it was so bad.

Tasted like smoking some cheap cigarette tobacco only from my pipe.

I could not tolerate more than a single bowl at a time, and found myself forcing it.....so literally threw the bag away.