A classic English mixture. A mixture developed from Flue-cured African Virginias, Black Cavendish, Mexican Burleys and Cyprus Latakia.

BrandNewminster
Manufactured ByVilliger
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Perique, Virginia
Strength
Mild, Medium to Strong
None Detected, Medium
Taste
ddueck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddueck (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I received a generous free sample of this stuff last time I visited my regular B&M. I've had a few bowls and I consider it something of a quandary for me.

Pouch note is unmistakably oriental - latakia is most certainly present and accounted for, but it's tempered somewhat by the intriguing presence of black cavendish, mexican burley and african virginias. It's a loose and moderately dry cut.

Lighting with my sample is easy. I usually do a charring light followed by a true light regardless of whether the tobacco requires it, but with this blend I've usually only bothered with the initial light. Up an running in no time, it burns a bit hot seemingly somewhat ashy (probably a technique issue rather than a blend characteristic) and here's where it gets interesting.

Taste is full and robust English, with the smoky and earthy Cyprus latakia first and foremost. The blend is labeled as a definite non-aromatic, but curiously the room note is unmistakably sweet with obvious caramel and vanilla layers, bolstered by the smoky campfire of the oriental - it's a rich and extremely pleasant note which I can easily detect myself, and which has received rave comments from non-smokers ("What's that amazing stuff you're smoking??"). It's the first thing I've smoked where the taste and the note have a weird inverse ratio: the taste is definitely English with a very slight sweetness on the back end, while the note is very sweet with a slight earthiness to the back end.

If you've enjoyed McC's A.M. Pipe or Boswell's Bear Blend, think of the taste of the former with a stronger oriental presence, and the room note of the latter with a fuller caramel presence - or think of Shortcut to Mushrooms on steroids. Very surprising. It's really the best way I can describe it. Definitely seems to fit the bill for those who want a very robust, semi-complex English blend for personal enjoyment, while also pleasing the crowd with a gorgeous scent.

HOWEVER, there's a kicker, and quite literally - WAY more nicotine than I'm used to. I never smoked cigarettes or cigars, and my decision to start smoking a pipe was more about the aesthetic and relaxing/meditative benefits more than anything, so constantly inhaling the smoke and getting nicotine hits are things I've more or less avoided until now (not necessarily a conscious decision, but it's just how I roll). With English Luxus I've strongly and consistently felt the effects of the nicotine, both as a head buzz and as an upset stomach - and again, I don't inhale (except to enjoy that spectacular note). I do snork, as with any blend I smoke, but that's it. After smoking this blend I always need a big glass of water and short walk to clear my head. Definitely a feeling of the tobacco dropping a bomb on me and leaving me to wander through the aftermath in a daze.

I'll gladly finish the sample but it remains to be seen if I'll return for more. Maybe it can work as a nice holiday treat once in a while, for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. The unique balance of English taste and sweet aromatic note really struck a wonderful chord for me (and those in close proximity), but the nicotine content gives me pause. But to those of you who enjoy a good English toby and don't mind the Vitamin N, definitely give it a try!

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (24)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Reminds one of C&D's Frog Morton on the Town but not as sweet or heavy. A light English that's not only smooth and full-flavored, but it doesn't make one's room smell like burnt tires with it's warm and pleasant fragrance. Or the fact that this is a blend that can be an all day companion. I like it for breakfast and late at night, personally. E-L is an excellent blend. The Latakia note is definitely present in the bag but it never overpowers in the smoke. At first I was a little skeptical of Newminster blends. Mainly due to the fact that MacBaren seems to be dominating the market right now (I do like several of their blends) . The collaboration between MacBaren and Villager works well with this blend. Highly recommended, considering I usually don't like Latakia.

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)

Not bad for the price, I wouldn't consider it a lat bomb, kind of right in the middle.. didn't notice the perique, burns well taste is good, not as complexed as some other lat blends

Pipe Used: La Rocca, Fantasia

Purchased From: Alegheny Smoke Works

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I guess this is more proof that Burley and I don't get along. I tried to like this blend, smoked 3 bowls over 2 nights, trying everything to be sure that the sour burning-paper taste of this smoke was me and not the tobacco. I gave up trying. Makes my mouth feel like the sole of a shoe. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the tobacco, maybe it's both. I can't recommend it. Room note was nice though.

gerryliao Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gerryliao (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Although it is stressed "non-aeromatic" in the product description, the bag note is very much like a light aeromatic and oriental. However no bad flavour leaves in the bowl and my nose, seems quite a natural blend to me.

The smoke is quite dominated by burley at the beginning, very surprisingly nutty and earthy. The latakia enhances gradually at the second half bowl. Relighting doesn't make the smoke harsh or bity and the flavour keeps constantly nice. Virginia almost does not exist. For a moment I think i taste perique....Overall it is a balanced blend, very rounded, mild and smooth.

It burns well and leaves few moisture in the bowl.

At the first bowl, I noticed my mouth and throat became very dry, which seldom appeared to my other natural blends, and it did not bother me then because the flavour was so nice. But after 5 bowls, i have to say the mouth touch is not good. It keeps your mouth and throat very very dry like drug store blends do to me. Side drinking is a must.