A classic English mixture developed from Flue-cured African Virginias, Black Cavendish, Mexican Burleys and Cyprus Latakia. Non-aromatic, with a smoky taste that English smokers fancy.

Blended ByMac Baren
Manufactured ByVilliger
ContentsBlack Cavendish, Burley, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
ddueck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ddueck (1)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I received a generous free sample of this stuff last time I visited my regular B&M. I've had a few bowls and I consider it something of a quandary for me.

Pouch note is unmistakably oriental - latakia is most certainly present and accounted for, but it's tempered somewhat by the intriguing presence of black cavendish, mexican burley and african virginias. It's a loose and moderately dry cut.

Lighting with my sample is easy. I usually do a charring light followed by a true light regardless of whether the tobacco requires it, but with this blend I've usually only bothered with the initial light. Up an running in no time, it burns a bit hot seemingly somewhat ashy (probably a technique issue rather than a blend characteristic) and here's where it gets interesting.

Taste is full and robust English, with the smoky and earthy Cyprus latakia first and foremost. The blend is labeled as a definite non-aromatic, but curiously the room note is unmistakably sweet with obvious caramel and vanilla layers, bolstered by the smoky campfire of the oriental - it's a rich and extremely pleasant note which I can easily detect myself, and which has received rave comments from non-smokers ("What's that amazing stuff you're smoking??"). It's the first thing I've smoked where the taste and the note have a weird inverse ratio: the taste is definitely English with a very slight sweetness on the back end, while the note is very sweet with a slight earthiness to the back end.

If you've enjoyed McC's A.M. Pipe or Boswell's Bear Blend, think of the taste of the former with a stronger oriental presence, and the room note of the latter with a fuller caramel presence - or think of Shortcut to Mushrooms on steroids. Very surprising. It's really the best way I can describe it. Definitely seems to fit the bill for those who want a very robust, semi-complex English blend for personal enjoyment, while also pleasing the crowd with a gorgeous scent.

HOWEVER, there's a kicker, and quite literally - WAY more nicotine than I'm used to. I never smoked cigarettes or cigars, and my decision to start smoking a pipe was more about the aesthetic and relaxing/meditative benefits more than anything, so constantly inhaling the smoke and getting nicotine hits are things I've more or less avoided until now (not necessarily a conscious decision, but it's just how I roll). With English Luxus I've strongly and consistently felt the effects of the nicotine, both as a head buzz and as an upset stomach - and again, I don't inhale (except to enjoy that spectacular note). I do snork, as with any blend I smoke, but that's it. After smoking this blend I always need a big glass of water and short walk to clear my head. Definitely a feeling of the tobacco dropping a bomb on me and leaving me to wander through the aftermath in a daze.

I'll gladly finish the sample but it remains to be seen if I'll return for more. Maybe it can work as a nice holiday treat once in a while, for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. The unique balance of English taste and sweet aromatic note really struck a wonderful chord for me (and those in close proximity), but the nicotine content gives me pause. But to those of you who enjoy a good English toby and don't mind the Vitamin N, definitely give it a try!

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (38)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I got a sample of this from smoking pipes with an order and I was so impressed that I ordered a 1/2 pound. I am an absolute lover of English tobaccos and really love Latakia. The tin note is wonderful with smoky Latakia and hay. It comes with perfect humidity for immediate smoke.

I roll this around my tongue, French inhale and savour this with every draw. I find no bite. I also find that the flavours of the blend are wonderful from start to finish. There is a very subtle spiciness as well which adds to the experience.

Pipe Used: Pete's, cobs et al

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This really tastes like it has Orientals in it, at least in the first half of the bowl. Not sure how they pulled that off. Peterson's Balkan Delight uses this same "magic trick". The Burley shows itself in the second half killing the illusion. The Perique is light offering a small amount of flavor and spice. The Latakia is only moderately applied. The Virginias are nearly invisible. The Black Cav adds some sweetness and, unfortunately, some harshness. The same harshness I get when I smoke P&C's Green River Black Cav. (a blending tobacco I haven't reviewed as of yet). The harshness is mild and only a small distraction from a nice tasting blend.

Medium in body and flavor. Burns well and moisture is just right.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: free sample from

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)

Not bad for the price, I wouldn't consider it a lat bomb, kind of right in the middle.. didn't notice the perique, burns well taste is good, not as complexed as some other lat blends

Pipe Used: La Rocca, Fantasia

Purchased From: Alegheny Smoke Works

I received a free sample of this from Smoking Pipes with an order and really enjoyed it. It is a really earthy sweet latakia blend. Reminiscent of many of the American English Genre where the burley stands out as much as any other element.

I think this would make a great introduction to latakia blends for the novice as well as an enjoyable all day easy smoker for the more experienced. Like all the Newminster blends, this will not break the bank and this only adds to its charm. I find this to be similar in tastes to HH latakia flake from Mac Baren. I think I prefer that one to this, but at the price point I still recommend this one.

Similar Blends: HH Latakia Flake.

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (41)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Reminds one of C&D's Frog Morton on the Town but not as sweet or heavy. A light English that's not only smooth and full-flavored, but it doesn't make one's room smell like burnt tires with it's warm and pleasant fragrance. Or the fact that this is a blend that can be an all day companion. I like it for breakfast and late at night, personally. E-L is an excellent blend. The Latakia note is definitely present in the bag but it never overpowers in the smoke. At first I was a little skeptical of Newminster blends. Mainly due to the fact that MacBaren seems to be dominating the market right now (I do like several of their blends) . The collaboration between MacBaren and Villager works well with this blend. Highly recommended, considering I usually don't like Latakia.

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I guess this is more proof that Burley and I don't get along. I tried to like this blend, smoked 3 bowls over 2 nights, trying everything to be sure that the sour burning-paper taste of this smoke was me and not the tobacco. I gave up trying. Makes my mouth feel like the sole of a shoe. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the tobacco, maybe it's both. I can't recommend it. Room note was nice though.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (78)

This is my first experience with Newminster. Overall, this is not a great English blend. While the blending notes above say nothing about perique, the contents list it. I could not pick it out by sight or by taste. Perique in small quantities can be unnoticeable so if it is there it is a very small amount. The VA's are good, a little citrus notice here and there with there usual sweetness. The Lat. is in the background and used lightly in this blend. The Cav. is present with its brown sugar flavor. There is definitely a topping here of some kind. Added sweetness that is more than the VA and more than a sugared Cav. too. I cannot place it just yet. The smoke has a drying affect on my tongue. I cannot say that it bites but it leaves my mouth very dry and drinking does not help for quite some time.

There are not many redeeming qualities for this one. I don't rate based on price, etc. but if you are an all day smoker and the smoke does not affect you as it did me this would be a great bulk buy. At the time of writing this review it can be found at under $100 for 5 lbs. However, I really don't think this will age well. Cav. plus top note blend and I have had issues when aging but that is just me. Add the smoke feel and dryness to my tongue and that is the result of the rating. Your mileage my vary.

gerryliao Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gerryliao (4)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Although it is stressed "non-aeromatic" in the product description, the bag note is very much like a light aeromatic and oriental. However no bad flavour leaves in the bowl and my nose, seems quite a natural blend to me.

The smoke is quite dominated by burley at the beginning, very surprisingly nutty and earthy. The latakia enhances gradually at the second half bowl. Relighting doesn't make the smoke harsh or bity and the flavour keeps constantly nice. Virginia almost does not exist. For a moment I think i taste perique....Overall it is a balanced blend, very rounded, mild and smooth.

It burns well and leaves few moisture in the bowl.

At the first bowl, I noticed my mouth and throat became very dry, which seldom appeared to my other natural blends, and it did not bother me then because the flavour was so nice. But after 5 bowls, i have to say the mouth touch is not good. It keeps your mouth and throat very very dry like drug store blends do to me. Side drinking is a must.