A classic English mixture developed from Flue-cured African Virginias, Black Cavendish, Mexican Burleys and Cyprus Latakia. Non-aromatic, with a smoky taste that English smokers fancy.

BrandNewminster
Taste
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable
2.5
Medium Very Mild Medium Tolerable

This really tastes like it has Orientals in it, at least in the first half of the bowl. Not sure how they pulled that off. Peterson's Balkan Delight uses this same "magic trick". The Burley shows itself in the second half killing the illusion. The Perique is light offering a small amount of flavor and spice. The Latakia is only moderately applied. The Virginias are nearly invisible. The Black Cav adds some sweetness and, unfortunately, some harshness. The same harshness I get when I smoke P&C's Green River Black Cav. (a blending tobacco I haven't reviewed as of yet). The harshness is mild and only a small distraction from a nice tasting blend.

Medium in body and flavor. Burns well and moisture is just right.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Mark Twain

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: free sample from smokingpipes.com

Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

The range of different Virginias offer a bit of grass and citrus with a small amount of dark fruit and earth. They are the base for the other components. The nutty, lightly earthy molasses sweet burleys play an important support role. The smoky, woody sweet Cyprian latakia is also a supporting player. The spicy, raisin sweet perique is just more than in the background. The brown sugary black cavendish is rather sweet and helps tone down potential harshness. I have a sense of a sweet topping, but it’s hard to identify it. Has a mild nic-hit, and won’t bite. Burns cool and clean at a reasonable pace with a consistent flavor fall the way through. Leaves little moisture in the bowl, and requires an average number of relights. An all day sweet American English blend.

I received a free sample of this from Smoking Pipes with an order and really enjoyed it. It is a really earthy sweet latakia blend. Reminiscent of many of the American English Genre where the burley stands out as much as any other element.

I think this would make a great introduction to latakia blends for the novice as well as an enjoyable all day easy smoker for the more experienced. Like all the Newminster blends, this will not break the bank and this only adds to its charm. I find this to be similar in tastes to HH latakia flake from Mac Baren. I think I prefer that one to this, but at the price point I still recommend this one.

Similar Blends: HH Latakia Flake.

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (39)
Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant

I got a sample of this from smoking pipes with an order and I was so impressed that I ordered a 1/2 pound. I am an absolute lover of English tobaccos and really love Latakia. The tin note is wonderful with smoky Latakia and hay. It comes with perfect humidity for immediate smoke.

I roll this around my tongue, French inhale and savour this with every draw. I find no bite. I also find that the flavours of the blend are wonderful from start to finish. There is a very subtle spiciness as well which adds to the experience.

Pipe Used: Pete's, cobs et al

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Corncob3 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Corncob3 (72)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium Very Pleasant

Reminds one of C&D's Frog Morton on the Town but not as sweet or heavy. A light English that's not only smooth and full-flavored, but it doesn't make one's room smell like burnt tires with it's warm and pleasant fragrance. Or the fact that this is a blend that can be an all day companion. I like it for breakfast and late at night, personally. E-L is an excellent blend. The Latakia note is definitely present in the bag but it never overpowers in the smoke. At first I was a little skeptical of Newminster blends. Mainly due to the fact that MacBaren seems to be dominating the market right now (I do like several of their blends) . The collaboration between MacBaren and Villager works well with this blend. Highly recommended, considering I usually don't like Latakia.

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)

Not bad for the price, I wouldn't consider it a lat bomb, kind of right in the middle.. didn't notice the perique, burns well taste is good, not as complexed as some other lat blends

Pipe Used: La Rocca, Fantasia

Purchased From: Alegheny Smoke Works

Pretty similar to the Peter Stokkebye of almost the same name. The alleged differences were the addition of perique to this one, a presence I never noticed, either in the taste, the aroma or the "throat tickle". Couldn't even pick it up in the snork, so I'm leaning towards it being an error on the part of whoever created this listing. Also this supposedly uses African Virginias instead of the PS' "Georgian". Do they mean Georgia in the U.S or Georgia as in Europe? Hard to say. But smoked back to back, any differences between this one and that may have been imaginary. Then again I only smoked an ounce of each, so who knows.

Here as in the PS, the burley and latakia were frontrunners, while the Virginia (or whatever location) were well to the rear. The Cavendish may have been unflavored or it may have had a bit of vanilla. It was sweet and decidedly non-Virginia (straight) derived but it provided a nice counterpoint to the nuttiness of the burley. I always really enjoy a sweetened burley. The latakia provided its usual smoke and spice. Here again, this is a very pleasant, easy to get along with English blend with the twist inclusion of burley. I actually seem to prefer English blends with burley instead of orientals because in blends of the latter persuasion they often don't do enough to offset the latakia. Here the burleys do, as they are equals. This blend is fun to smoke and I wouldn't mind getting a bit more. Try it if you enjoy burley and English blends by themselves and want to try them as a casserole.

J.R. Patton Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
J.R. Patton (106)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Part of the latakia lovers load from P&C, this one and Larry's blend came away the winners in my book. I really like that Luxus contains the burley and perique, and keeps the latakia subdued. It's more than a minor player, mind you, but it's reigned in and smoothed over a little. So not only is this more of a old-time traditional English format, but it's just smooth enough to be able to enjoy all day if it strikes you to do so. There is plenty of flavor to go around --I get mostly burley and perique with steady latakia backup. But like GentlemanZombie pointed out, somehow this blend puts off occasional oriental vibes. How they do that with no orientals included is beyond me, but I noticed it from the first smoke. In fact, I thought it did have oriental in it before researching a little more. One more point to add...this one, unlike most my English blends, seems to benefit greatly from aging. I've smoked it from fresh to about 18 months and there is considerable development I'd attribute to the burley and perique mellowing and melding. Smokes really well, not too wet, not too dry, and no tongue bite to speak of. Love it.

Age When Smoked: Fresh to 18 months

Purchased From: Pipesandcigars.com

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Mild None Detected Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant to Tolerable

I guess this is more proof that Burley and I don't get along. I tried to like this blend, smoked 3 bowls over 2 nights, trying everything to be sure that the sour burning-paper taste of this smoke was me and not the tobacco. I gave up trying. Makes my mouth feel like the sole of a shoe. Maybe it's me, maybe it's the tobacco, maybe it's both. I can't recommend it. Room note was nice though.

MarkTheLad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MarkTheLad (29)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

I enjoy a lot of English cross-over blends and this one rates right up there with the best of them. To my tastes, this seems to be an exact duplicate of Lane's HGL (which I also enjoy). The Latakia is perfectly applied, not to strong, not to sweet and melds nicely with the constituent tobacco's to make a tasty, well balanced smoke. The moisture content was perfect from the bag and I only had 2 relights and it seemed to burn well without getting too hot or harsh, I can see this being an all day smoke for most people and I will be buying more of this to put away and age.

Pipe Used: Stanwell pot

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Purchased From: PipesandCigars.com

Similar Blends: Lanes HGL.

Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

Newminster - No. 17 English Luxus.

I've had this cellared for a few months now, I need to be in the right mood for an English containing black Cavendish. Anyway, I felt I was in 'that mood' today so fired a bowl first thing.

Where taste is concerned, it's actually quite a decent smoke, not amazing, but acceptable. The application of Latakia's a bit bizarre: the pouch smells a lot heavier with Lat' than the smoke tastes; the flavour's nowhere near as smoky as the current description implies. No. 17 has a notable nuance from the black Cavendish, which gives the smoke a creamy vanilla quality, but also causes it to bite me. I find the Burley easy to recognise, but the Virginia and Perique are much lighter, the Virginia more-so.

Personally, even though the nicotine results on here cover a wide range at the moment, I'm with the lower section: quite mild, and I find it makes to much smoke in the room for the note to do that well.

This is an alright blend flavour-wise, but because of the bite and note I can only somewhat recommend it.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Mastro Geppetto

Age When Smoked: Three months

romaso Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
romaso (43)
Mild to Medium Very Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a highly sweetened English blend, cloyingly sweet. It will ghost your pipe. I don't taste a specific flavor, just sweet. The Stokkebye English Luxury, of which this is a copy, is not as sweet (though still sweet!). I'd suggest the Stokkebye instead.

Knightsmoker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Knightsmoker (137)

This is my first experience with Newminster. Overall, this is not a great English blend. While the blending notes above say nothing about perique, the contents list it. I could not pick it out by sight or by taste. Perique in small quantities can be unnoticeable so if it is there it is a very small amount. The VA's are good, a little citrus notice here and there with there usual sweetness. The Lat. is in the background and used lightly in this blend. The Cav. is present with its brown sugar flavor. There is definitely a topping here of some kind. Added sweetness that is more than the VA and more than a sugared Cav. too. I cannot place it just yet. The smoke has a drying affect on my tongue. I cannot say that it bites but it leaves my mouth very dry and drinking does not help for quite some time.

There are not many redeeming qualities for this one. I don't rate based on price, etc. but if you are an all day smoker and the smoke does not affect you as it did me this would be a great bulk buy. At the time of writing this review it can be found at under $100 for 5 lbs. However, I really don't think this will age well. Cav. plus top note blend and I have had issues when aging but that is just me. Add the smoke feel and dryness to my tongue and that is the result of the rating. Your mileage my vary.