A choice mix of Burley, Virginia, Perique, Kentucky and Cavendish that's sure to set you senses to a kickin' with its bold spice and solid tobacco flavor. Just like with that old Rewster in Mommas yard, you'd better watch out for the spurs on this Kickin' Chicken!

Notes: This blend was originally created by Cornell & Diehl at the request of the members of pipesmokersforum.com as a VA/per based pipe tobacco of the year for 2012

Blended ByCornell & Diehl, Inc.
Blend TypeVirginia/Perique
ContentsBurley, Cavendish, Kentucky, Perique, Virginia
CutKrumble Kake
Packaging2oz. Tin
Strength
Medium to Strong, Strong
Taste
Full

3.9

I just have to get in on the fun with this one. It's a very interesting tobacco. Black/dark brown crumble cake that rubs out easily and with a mellow tin aroma that belies its strength.

At the match, this one screams Perique! in the same manner that GLP's Haddo's Delight does. Very peppery and tingly. This subsides a bit into a fairly sweet and robust smoke, less sweet than C&D's Kajun Kake but leaning very much in that direction. The Kentucky balances the blend nicely so it doesn't go too far overboard. It is robust but smooth - no jerky, chicken-type movement. Very rich and deep flavor with a fair amount of complexity, and an almost chewy mouthfeel. This, as well as Kajun Kake, make me wonder if certain tobaccos are fattening, because this one almost seems like a meal. But fast puffers should beware! The nicotine content of this one can cause more jitters than the KFC truck at a chicken coop. Puff slowly and enjoy. This blend is well worth the effort to find. Highly recommended.

Spill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Spill (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is my first review at TR, but not my first review ;-)

I have smoked nearly two tins of PSF Kickin' Chicken. I love it.

I agree wholly with the thoughtful reviews below (particuarly DK and Rewster66).

This is a consistently strong, fairly "complex" blend, with a nice interplay between the kentucky leaf and ample amount of perique. A gradually dynamic blend, it is guaranteed to keep your interest to the end, and satisfy any "deep smoke" cravings. Try to get too greedy with it (particularly in the last 1/3rd) and and you will be presented with a very spicy meatball. As noted, KC "has spurs;" don't anger the chicken ;-)

preacher1611 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
preacher1611 (1)
Very Strong None Detected Extra Full Unnoticeable

I smoked this outside this morning which is why I have no room note. I like this blend a lot. I gravity fill all my pipes with the exception of my Brebbia second, so that is how I filled this pipe. I used a Missouri Meerschaum Legend to smoke this morning. I filled the pipe, tamped with my finger and then filled and tamped again with my finger then tamper. Filling this way, (for me), almost gaurantees a relight, in this case I was glad for the relight! The initial lighting and smoking was heavy on the Burley for me with just a hint of cigar leaf showing through, very robust yet smooth flavor. Burns really well throughout the smoke. Flavor was consistent all the way through till about half the bowl; that's when it went out! I'm glad it did! Upon relighting, the Virginia really popped and the cigar leaf shined! I smoke mainly Virginias so this was awesome! I'm a big fan of this tobacco on cooler days, it's just better when the weather is a bit chilly! For me this is a great Autumn morning and/or evening smoke, I can imagine it would be well during a hunting trip or even ice fishing during the winter months. Cigar smokers would probably enjoy this blend when it's a bit warmer weather because to me when it's hot this stuff tastes more like a cigar than a pipe tobacco. Fans of nicotine watch out!!! When I relit and smoked the rest of the bowl the nic jumped up and smacked me in the face with the vengeance of a woman scorned! (my girl will probably smack me for that!) I highly recomend this tobacco. If you can get your hands on some, I say do so quickly! You won't be disapointed!

Darkly Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darkly (3)
Very Strong None Detected Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a dark colored crumble cake that breaks down easily with gentle rubbing. The cake is nicely compressed though. There is no stickiness to it and it burns and smokes all the way down perfectly. The tin aroma is not at all strong but is a mild vaper-iquish scent. This is very much misleading.. The flavor on this VaPerBur is very full bodied.. with a pleasant mouth feel of the smoke.. It demands respect in several areas.. It will not be rushed... and it will not be taken lightly. If you are looking for a milder fair, then it would behoove you to pass on this blend.. but if you are craving a powerful yet actually tasty zesty blend, this weed will satisfy on all counts. In my opinion, this blend is strong then C&D's Nighttrain in the nicotine department. Think Irish Flake but it actually tastes really good. Strongly recommended for advanced pipers that love VaPers, and the like. Natural, powerful, and very very tasty.

pipelovingcalvinist Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipelovingcalvinist (68)

I have only had the pleasure of smoking a few bowls of this lovely tobacco but the few bowls I have smoked leaves me wanting more. Full tobacco taste with just the right amount of nic makes for a hearty but relaxing tobacco. Perfect for an evening in the easy chair or just kickin around the barn yard, this tobacco is sure to please.

Soli Deo gloria!

Rewster66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rewster66 (15)
Strong None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I have to agree with Nesta's review, it is pretty much spot on. The Perique shows up very quickly after the light and boldly announces it presence. It begins to settle down fairly quick but is present throughout the entire bowl only fading a bit toward the end.

In my opinion C&D has probably the best Burley there is anywhere and it shows here, and the Virginia is pleasant with it's subtle sweetness, but my favorite aspect about this blend is the Kentucky leaf, which is superb. It gives a very distinct zing to the spiciness of the Perique and ups the Nic. a few notches.

If your sensitive to Nic. then you need to tread lightly because it holds up to it's name "Kicken Chicken".

Chris and Craig from Cornell & Diehl are great to deal with and provide absolutely superb customer service.

If your a VaPer or VaBur lover then you owe it to yourself to find some of this and give it a go, it has a very distinct personality which is one your not likely to forget.

SouthBound Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SouthBound (10)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

DK's comment that this one is almost like a meal is spot on. There's just something meaty about the smoke. The Kentucky leaf is present in just the right amount, too. Deliciously satisfying. Highly recommended.

nesta Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nesta (8)
Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

This is a very nice blend. It has a healthy share of perique, and while it's a complex blend the bulk of the rest of the blend seems to be Virginia. With plenty of burley, Kentucky, and unflavored cavendish backing it up, the sweetness of the Virginia is very well tempered, and it's pretty different from your run of the mill VA/per.

This is a hearty blend, with plenty of nicotine and a very robust flavor profile. While I enjoy the blend, it does at times border on being slightly too busy. This was a blend specially made for the members of pipesmokersforum.com, and it is a fairly fresh tin - only several months old. I think after a year or two this blend will mellow out significantly and, hopefully, transform from a very nice blend to an excellent one.

This is a nice blend, and I can't wait to see how it develops with age. I recommend it, if you can get ahold of it.