A straight cut Cavendish blend consisting of quality mild flue-cured Virginia tobaccos from South America. The natural mildness and a light, sweet aroma is what makes this blend exceptional.

BrandNewminster
2.5
Phonomet Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Phonomet (41)
Extremely Mild Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I bought a pound of this on a whim. I wanted to beef up my cellar to insulate against the coming tobacco apocalypse and this was pretty cheap. I ordered it online along with a couple pounds of other tobaccos. Opening the box, I instantly smelled a lovely aroma, though all the plastic bags were sealed. The aroma, was pruny, chocolatey, and faintly anisette and it was all coming from the pound of Newminster "All Natural." Needless to say, this VA cavendish (not black cavendish and not anything like Cpt. Black, etc.) is not all natural. But, the casing is tasteful and unobtrusive. Lighting it up, the aroma lingered a little while and faded, but not bitterly. This blend is air-light and not a bit of nicotine or strength is to be found. I enjoy it occasionally and smoke it solo or blended with more full bodied VAs. I have some turkish that will probably go perfectly with it. It comes somewhat recommended. If you like super light tobaccos without a lot of flavoring, this is a great choice. I also think it tops Skandinavik Full Aroma Cavendish.

Similar Blends: Skandinavik full aroma Cavendish..

This is a very pleasant mild Dutch cavendish. It presents as a mostly broken up pressed tobacco about like a slightly rubbed out Sail Yellow in consistency perhaps. The pouch note is sweet with maybe a little spice. Smoked, it is slightly sweet but does not taste of fruit or honey. The tobacco flavor is good but not very exciting. It burned very cool for me, and I found it satisfying although a little one dimensional. The tobacco flavor is subtle and not "in your face." The room note is pleasant.

Think of this as a Dutch cavendish equivalent of Sir Walter Raleigh. It is good and not especially challenging. I find it a great smoke for the car or the office. It is a tremendous value at $20 and some change per pound at P&C.

This one is a 3.5 on the scale. I liked it enough to buy a pound. Don't buy this expecting much "wow." It is a solid and reliable all-day smoke that suits me well. It is easy to recommend.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Comment = Smooth, Mild, Mid Strength Flavor, a little Bitter on Finish

jefx Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jefx (1)
Medium None Detected Medium Tolerable to Strong

The simple name of this toby describes it perfectly. It is just plain virginia tobacco. The description states it is a cavendish blend, but there is nothing cavendish about it that I have been able to detect.

The look of the tobacco is almost identical to an unwrapped cigarette ranging in color from brown to tan. However, there are larger tan leaf pieces and small clumps of pressed flake. It looks like a shredded virginia flake overall.

It appears to be of higher quality than standard cigarette tobacco, with a perfect pipe tobacco moisture level, but thats about it. It lights and burns well and cleanly.

The taste and aroma are of cigarette, but less chemically. It may be similar to an additive free cigarette such as American Spirit. I could imagine that this toby would be good for a roll-your-own smoker after a little drying time. There was a slightly different scent in addition to the cigarette smell while burning, but it's hard to describe. It kind of reminded me of a faint cologne smell, as if a cologned man were smoking a cigarette.

This is not for me. I will not be smoking this by itself, but it may come in handy as a blender to tame down overly aromatic blends that I may try in the future.

I enjoy good virginia toby, and I really enjoy Newminster's Navy Flake, but this is too natural for me. I recommend this for people looking for a cigarette substitute. I am pretty disappointed in this blend from Newminster because I have thoroughly enjoyed several of their other offerings.