Handblended, premium pressed Virginia flake pipe tobaccos. A fine vintage, naturally sweet, in limited quantity.

This 2012 blend is made with a special selection of deep orange, ripe flue-cured Virginia from the 2008 crop grown near Stantonsburg, NC.

Notes: Rich in oil, intense in color, this is prime, sun-dappled leaf ready to age remarkably well in the tin. Each buying season, we look for tobaccos of exceptional quality and distinctive character. In various combinations, their flavors, aromas, textures contribute to the overall excellence of our products. The leaves of different crops and regions are combined to maintain consistency from year to year. With Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco, we treat our discriminating customers to the singular pleasure of a tasting of the very finest in tobaccos of a particular vintage, not worrying about maintaining the flavor and appearance of this product into future years but actually striving instead to present the unique character of a single crop and area. That's what Christmas Cheer pipe tobacco is all about. Happy sampling!

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Manufactured ByMcClelland
Packaging100g tin
Strength
Taste

3.2
Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)

Good quality tobacco will be great with age buy one for now age one for later

CRDesertpipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CRDesertpipe (2)

I have always felt that Christmas Cheer should be enjoyed both as a fresh blend and aged. This year I am enjoying the 2012 blend in early December, and will open a 2000 tin for Christmas Day. This year's offering I rate as outstanding, and have put up several tins for aging. Dried slightly before packing, it burns well and I am trying it in different bowls to see what the optimal shape is to get the most out of the excellent flavor offered this year. So far, a narrow tall bowl is my favorite. Unlike some other years, the flavor and taste start off strong, with a rich helping of Virginia sweetness. So much so, that I can only imagine what this blend will bring in a decade. Excellent room note for a straight VA, and a desire to grab another pipeful later in the afternoon add to my recommendation that you try this one now, and squirrel away a tin or three for later Holiday enjoyment.

Ciall agus neart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ciall agus neart (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Good tobacco. I tried out of the tin and it was..ok. Let this sit for almost a year and there was major improvement. Recommended..

This was my first Christmas Cheer and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It is a typical McClelland Virginia with that typical fantastic tin aroma. It also has a nice tin presentation with the standard broken flake like you would see in 2015 or blackwoods flake. And like all those blends it tastes great. This is most like Mixture 27 to my tastes.

One thing about this tobacco is that it will come very wet and almost unsmokeable upon arrival. It needs some air and a chance to dry before it can be enjoyed. I was able to keep mine stored in the tin for around 8 months before jarring.

I would think that if you really wanted to enjoy this at Christmas time you would need to immediately open the tin upon arrival and just leave it open for several days. I may do this with the 2013 that is on its way.

I also have another 100g of this aging and am going to do my best to hold out for 10 years as I am a sucker for good marketing and this seems like a wothwhile enterprise. Anyway, I highly recommend the series and this just happens to be the first one I am reviewing if I start to notice some are better than this, I may come back and adjust.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)

Very pleasant notes of wood fires, easy to puff, and delicious flavor. Copious white smoke, no bite.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I want to not come across too negative on this blend, as it is real good. That said, I like my Virginias sweeter and less mature. I really liked the 2011 edition, as it had a lot of interest. This one starts out interesting, but quickly fades into more of a "Brown flake"or has some Kentucky . Brown flakes I like to smoke at a smolder and this seems to be hard to keep lit at a smolder. Consequently, I smoke this faster and it seems to lose all sweetness and gets ashy. I would take "my review with a grain of salt " , McC still makes a quality Virginia, just don't expect a 5100 Red Cake type blend.

kaywoodiecanuck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
kaywoodiecanuck (14)

I ordered as quickly as I could when I seen this become available and as said before me was like a kid at Christmas. I waited though... I opened the tin and packed on of my favorite pipes and put it sigh... back in the stand to sit and excruciatingly long time... took a few good pinches out to air a bit and put the lid back on the tin.

While I waited I sniffed this stuff over and over and the Ketchup mentioned (i did say that at first too) moved more towards something oddly familiar yet distant. I asked anyone so inclined to stick their nose in to see what they thought (quite a fun game for me :)).

It struck me finally one evening... Fruit cake!! I swear that is what it reminds me of.

I gave some to a good friend of mine to to try and we usually catch time to sit and chat and share a good puff and expecting him to wait some like I did he popped into my office the next day singing its praises (I was appalled - and now had a good reason to break my waiting period)!

Long story to say this is a very lovely blend and I am going to get second tin to have as a treat even after the holidays!

Great room note (for me ;)), great tasting smoke that deserves to be enjoyed slowly with a good beverage! Highly recommended.

Wiseguy1982 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wiseguy1982 (23)

Just got my tin of Christmas Cheer 2012 this evening, and naturally, like a kid on Christmas, I had to open it and have a bowl right away!

There is a plentiful amount of broken flake chunks in the tin, this should last a long while.

I didn't bother letting it sit out, loaded 5 or 6 pieces into my bowl and went at it.

That was a mistake, only because the tobacco is moist enough to not stay lit for too long. However, I can only see this getting infinitely better with drying time and cellaring!

The flavor profile of CC2012 is as if Irish Flake and FVF got drunk and had an unprotected one night stand leaving CC@012 to be their love child! It's a wonderful marriage of the finest VA's plus the McKetchup. I love that smell, and I'm glad it doesn't transfer over into the smoke.

This, naturally, since it's a VA blend is meant to be sipped and savored. Being such a limited release, this is perfect to accompany those treasureable moments with your loved ones, or if your in need of a well deserved treat.

4 stars is simply not enough.

From now, until Christmas arrives, or when websites run out, I will be buying a tin every week.

This was my first try of a McC CC and it was enjoyed. The flakes are broken and easy to pack without any rubout. The tin aroma is typical McC Ketchup but this does not carry thru to the smoke. Initial lighting was improved by drying and minimal relights were then needed. A cool, smooth smoke without bite or condensation. Should have cellared more but I'll try the '13.

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (121)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another excellent addition to the series. It is a very good smoke right out of the tin and I am sure would be even better with some age on it. Smokes right down to the bottom of the bowl with little effort. Recommended.

Kevfoong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kevfoong (6)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

This is the first Straight Virginia I ever try. I can say it is pretty sweet and I like it a lot. Over all this is a very good straight virginia flake but the only problem I am facing is wet bowl after every smoke. The tobacco is a but wet out of tin, advice to dry it a little bout half a day under humidity level 60~70%. As what others mentioned, let it age will taste even better...

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (72)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

A little darker than 2011 and less of the citrus taste that makes X-mas cheer so distinctive. Still a very good Lighter flake. Mr Big below nailed it with his brown flake comparison.

ArchtopBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArchtopBill (16)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

My local tobacconist is out of Frog Morton's Cellar, so I grabbed a tin of this to tie me over. I have always enjoyed a flake cut Virginia. and this is rather good. Burns slowly, but it does seem a tad hot at times.

430pat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
430pat (39)
Mild None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Just not for me to mild no wow factor when I smoke it.

nitramretep Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
nitramretep (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Full Tolerable

I also think this blend needs time to mature. I tried a pipeful and it was hard to keep burning and had a rather "tight" flavor. McClelland is one of my favorite brands and I was a little dissapointed by this exotic blend. I will let it sit for a few months and see how aging might improve the blend. I must say a friend of mine thought it was great...so maybe it's like a single malt; some people prefer different casks!

spidermonkey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
spidermonkey (7)
Mild None Detected Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I cracked my tin tonight, and was pleasantly surprised. I can be a little sensitive to VAs and their potential to bite. I tend to smoke a little quickly and have noticed no ill effects yet. Great when exhaled through the nose and those wisps that curl back up into the nose while breathing between pulls are delightful. Great aroma to me... the Mrs. says it's not bad. Some citrus notes and quite sweet in my opinion. Great tasting, yet light-bodied tobacco. Needs a bit of time in the open air for my preference. Go slow for more flavor. Push it and it can become flat - as can many tobaccos. Have some aging in a jar and a tin in reserve... may have to make that a few more tins. Delicious.

Edit I have noticed that if I pack it as tightly as I would a ribbon, the experience is not as grand. For me, it really shines with a very light pack. If it is too light, you can always adjust through careful tamping.

Wawalsh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wawalsh (7)

2011 was a great year for this blend. The 2012 needs some more cellaring time in my opinion to reach that level. Still a good smoke and I suspect it will become great in time.

Informative Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Informative (3)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Just cracked a 100g tin and upon opening, the smell of a spicy, rich ketchup came flowing out into my nostrels. Ahhh the smell of a premium aged Virginia. A nice dark broken flake was appealing to the old eye but as for the quantity, well; them bastards cheesed me ! 75g no more, no less. The flake easily rubbed out and went straight into my bowl damp as an 18 year old girl in the spring. A couple charring lights and the baccy was roaring. A rather strong flavour came upon that third light and a decent milky smoke. Now I tried puffen her lightly and hard and found that each had no bite and was really rather pleasent on the palate. Smoked well throughout the bowl with no relights and burned down to a nice white ash. Overall a good relaxing smoke that I will be coming back to with a bit of aging. Rating would be a 4 star out of 5.