4noggins.com

A mellow, fragrant Latakia blend aged with stave cubes cut from barrels used to mature and flavor Frog Morton's own special whiskeys.

Notes: Notes: The name Frog Morton comes to us from the works of JRR Tolkien. Frogmorton: A village in the Eastfarthing of the Shire. It stood on the East Road, between the Three-farthing Stone (fourteen miles to the west) and the Brandywine Bridge (twenty-two miles to the east). Immediately to the north of the village, the stream known as the Water broke into two, creating a wide watery region - this feature seems to have given Frog Morton its name, which means "frog marsh".

Blended ByMcClelland Tobacco Company
Taste

Kerpap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kerpap (12)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Frog Morton's Cellar has easily become my #1 favorite blend. I love rich English blends. I gave FMC a try and this is the best combination of every aspect I love about an English blend and aromatics. some people think this blend borders on an aromatic and they would be right. my English pipe took on a bit of the flavoring however was not detected after a few puffs of the next bowl of a different blend which made me love FMC even more.

it is a rich Latakia blend with the perfect amount of a sweet whiskey flavoring that is not too over powering but really makes the blend come full circle.

If you haven't smoked an English or a Latakia blend before and are interested in crossing over from aromatics or Virginians, this is the blend for you.

If you are a hard core English fan like me, than this is the blend for you.

you are going to love it.

Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

My wife, a Frog on the Town lover, and I received our first tin of Frog Morton's Cellar a week ago. It's gone! I have only been a “somewhat” fan of McClelland English and “Englishish” fan. But McClelland has really rung the bell with their new aromatic English Frog Morton's Cellar. The tin scent reminds a bit of smoky eggnog, in a good way. With that said, I think FMC is a very light aromatic and not a full on aromatic. I think it would be described by some as a “crossover” blend. I was pleased to find that FMC arrived a little dryer than many of the other McClelland English blends and became “pipe ready” fairly quickly. The “stave” (a cube from an oak whisky barrel) imparts a wonderful rum flavor that I don't find to be overpowering. But, if you prefer your whiskey in a glass, there may be too much for your liking. FMC burns cleanly and the flavor deepens as each bowl progresses. Even though there is a fair amount of Latakia in the blend, the room note is pleasant. I did take the time to take the stave out for those that are wondering if the weight of the stave ends up leaving less than 50 grams of tobacco in the tin, and there is no need to be concerned. With the stave removed, I weighed the tobacco on a digital scale and as it weighed out with the full 50 grams. In terms of “Lady N,” there isn't much here which is something I find to be a minor negative. All in all, FMC is a winner. Highly Recommended.

twaksak Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
twaksak (32)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant

I received this blend as a sample and are very impressed. Fresh, the smokiness of the Latakia was evident - immediately won a point from me as I love Latakia. However, the Latakia is definitely not overpowering - just the right mix! Typical English...but then, after awhile you get those notes of Whisky. On the tongue, that same notes are continuing....soft English blend with just the right amount of Latakia for the general smoker; and then that hint of Whisky. A very light hint of fruity sweetness as an afterthought. A definite winner.

YouTube Video

Pipe Used: African Meerschaum

Lvart Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lvart (1)
Mild Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I am blessed with a good pipe mentor who helped guide me to a can of Frog Morton's Cellar as my first smoking experience. I feel like I have now been jaded by not walking my way through the gamut of aromatics. Since that first puff it has become one of my mainstays and I never allow myself to run out.

It is a rich English blend that has retained a hint of the sweetness of the whisky stave. It's not overpowering and is more subtle and goes along nicely with the rest of the experience. There is also a hint of cedar that is noticeable and give the sensation of being in the woods sitting around a camp fire.

It is as perfect of a blend between English and light aromatic as I have found. The refined palette won't be disappointed.

Squirrel850 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Squirrel850 (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow! This my introduction to Latakia and English blends. I usually smoke aromatics but with all the recommendations I asked my wife to get me a tin for Valentine's day.

Upon opening the tin, I thought that I smelled a faint petroleum scent with a sweet/sour note, catsup like smell. I loaded up the bowl and it was dry with a hint of moisture. The char light I thought to myself, "I don't know about this stuff." However, by the end of the bowl, my mind was made up... "This sh*t is good!" The Latakia is peppery, there is a very faint taste of whiskey, and a nice creamy smoke. This has more vitamin N than I am used to getting in my aromatics, but not too strong. Burns to a nice salt pepper ash. I tend to hit the pipe hard and it started to burn a bit hot, once I started sipping it cooled nicely. No tongue bite.

With all that said, you will have to excuse me, because I have another bowl to pack! I highly recommend it. Glad I decided to branch out of just the aromatics.

Update: I was smoking it the other night and my wife came out to sit with me. We discussed the aroma of this tobacco and she hit the nail on the head! She said that it smelled like the air in Western Ireland where they burn peat in the fireplaces. I still love the taste of this stuff. My wife even took a puff (she's not a pipe smoker but rather a cigar smoker) and she also enthusiastically said that it tasted good too. I just bought 4 more tins for a rainy day ( um, week).

Pipe Used: Peterson 314 standard

Purchased From: Cupojoes.com

tleek Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tleek (51)

This is a fantastic blend, I have had Frog Morton regular and On the Bayou and this beats the other two by far. That is really saying something since they were all fantastic blends.

The blend yields a whole lot of virginia sweetness with fair amount of that Latakia smokiness we have all come to expect from the Frog.

However, the time spent aging in a whiskey barrel and the addition of the charred stave really refined this blend and transformed it into something both unique and delicious. I chose the medium rating for flavoring, not because I think this has a thick topping like a traditional aromatic, but because the time spent with that charred oak whiskey barrel really added to the flavor. There is a delicious whiskey, woodsy, flavor and aroma that lasts throughout the smoke.

This blend truly is someting amazing and I recommend it to all!

Try it with an early morning cup of coffee, they go together tremendously!

thefoolish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thefoolish (9)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

I'm finally through my first full tin of this blend, and good- googly-moogly, I'm loving it.

Appearance: Mostly ribbons, with a view larger, broken pieces of Latakia. The colors range from tan to pure black.

Tin Aroma: Sweet. Very sweet. Hints of whiskey and fruit and a little leather and smokiness.

Flavor: I would not classify this as an all-day smoke for most people, as the sweetness of an American English most be too overpowering. For one or two bowls, though, the sweetness of the whiskey plays beautifully with the smoky Latakia, creating complex flavor that never gets boring and always offers a little bit more. I would say this is a good dessert smoke or any time you are craving an English around people who are picky about room notes.

AE1PT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AE1PT (4)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I have been a smoker of Frog in a Pond for some time now--and have cellared quite a bit. For whatever reason, I have been resistant to the other Frogmorton blends--but with the recent P&C sale decided to give this a shot in the 50g tin.

Opening the tin was wonderful! Sweet, smoky, and a rush of bourbon--all promising something completely different from my other English/Balkan tobaccos. For the first bowl, I decided to use a small DG Duke Bent that had just had its monthly alcohol cleaning--and was yet unsmoked.

There is a cube of whiskey barrel in the tin. Thinking I was being punked, I took it out and weighed the baccy. It was the advertised ~50g. The cube is an extra--just don't try to smoke the thing. Or chew on it, as you will get splinters in your tongue. Don't ask me how I know this fact...

Nice taste on a dry pull to check the pack, and then the char light. This tobacco did not rise up that much, and did a nice full burn on the smoking light. It was wonderful. The taste of the bourbon, virginia, and latakia all came through individually--sweet, smoky, tangy with a hint of sour--and a delicious creamy smoke and satisfying mouth aftertaste.

All of it kept this character until about halfway through, when the blend of the sweet virginia and the lat mixed into a solid but defined tobacco experience. The taste of the oak peeked though very identifiably several times--and added to the flavor and charisma. Moving to the last of the bowl, all of it moved in and out of the various flavors, keeping distinction and not a muddle. Nicotine is there, but not so much as to detract from the holistically smooth experience this blend delivers.

No slurpy mess at the bottom or in the stem. The aroma of the smoke is positively delicious. This tobacco meets a solid goal in bridging English and Aro without whoring to either. I am sold--and sorry I did not order the 100g can. This will be remedied several times over on my next cellar purchase. Ummm, I hope that is not considered hoarding.

I think that this is a wonderful tobacco, and a nice treat throughout the day. Unfortunately, there are no subtle notes of rainbows, unicorn farts, spring rain, evening chrysanthemums, or Balkan Sobranie to be found here--just a pleasant, mildly complex and satisfying bowl!

Pipe Used: Various

Age When Smoked: Me or the tobacco? It was new...

Pagercat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pagercat (41)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

Frog Morton's Cellar is the most recent addition to McClelland's "Frog Morton" line of Latakia-based blends. This tobacco comes with a small cube of Oak wood from an old whiskey barrel, thereby imparting the blend with a smokey-sweet hint of bourbon.

The tin pop gives a nice scent of a wood fire and fine spirits. The moisture content is not too moist, that it cannot be smoked straight from the tin, yet a short breathing period brings benefit prior to packing. The leaves are mostly black with a few ribbons of tan. There is a slight stickiness to the touch, however, the blend burns clean and leaves no tackified residue on the bowl walls.

On the initial light, the smoke is dark then slightly sweet with the whiskey flavor coming through. Once the bowl is burning properly you get large plumes of fragrant smoke. The bourbon flavor is strongest in the first third of the bowl and then it becomes more subtle as the smoke progresses. Mid-bowl, the flavors are subdued, leveling out to a mild pure tobacco taste. As the bowl winds down, the blend starts to give one last rise in flavor and then it is over and one is left with a small pile of pure grey powdery ash. Bowl walls are clean and ghosting is almost non-existent.

Overall, this is a very nice blend that you can enjoy anytime, even as an all-day smoke. It pairs well with a good whiskey or a strong coffee.

Pipe Used: Many various brands and shapes

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Axel Trouble Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Axel Trouble (2)
Mild Very Mild Very Mild Pleasant

I'm still quite new to the hobby. That being said, I LOVE this stuff. Very soft, creamy smoke with just enough flavor to keep you wanting more. The last tobacco I reviewed was Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, which was a little too strong for my liking. Frog Morton's Cellar was nothing but an improvement for me. The tobacco itself has a great smoky flavor that isn't at all overbearing with a subtle hint of whiskey, thanks to the barrel stave included in the tin. The smoke is very light, and easy to enjoy. In fact, after I finished the bowl, it didn't even feel like I had smoked anything. I would definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to start in on the hobby. Bravo, McClelland.

Pipe Used: Bjarne Viking Churchwarden

Age When Smoked: About 2 days

SeoulSister Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SeoulSister (29)

I like Frog Morton’s Cellar because it is mild. I find the taste of whiskey at the forefront followed closely by the smokiness from the Latakia. It leaves a little bit of a nutty taste on the finish that I think comes from the Oriental. There is no bite and find it a little sweet. I would call this an aromatic English. Although I like it, I still prefer Frog Morton on the Town to this blend. I would recommend this and would personally enjoy this on a regular basis.

haredawg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
haredawg (46)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

You know this blend doesn't need another review. Seems the reviewers fall into two camps, those being introduced to English blends and those who prefer english blends. I still can't really quite get over the whole McClelland Katsup smell in their Va's, Bar b Que sauce is the pleasant way some folks have described frog morton. Smells like soft mellow latakia with katsup on it to me.

However, after the charring light it tastes like tobacco, a pretty mellow, easy going, causal blend, burns cool, stays lit, though the taste doesn't vary much it's an interesting taste.

It took me a few years to get around to trying this blend. I'm not going to ever turn it down, but I don't know if I'll buy it often. If a friend were asking me about trying their first non aromatic and didn't want a VA/PER this is the blend I'd direct them too. It's inoffensive.

Michael Kindt Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Michael Kindt (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

There is a little block of wood in the can that you should not try to rub out. It takes hours and your fingers will end up a gnarled, bloodied mess. Do what I learned to do: bypass the little block of wood and go directly for the tobacco, which is fine stuff.

I was smoking this at a demolition derby the other night and a gentleman sitting nearby stated that he liked the smell better than all the exhaust we were sitting in. Therefore, I proclaim the room note exquisite. The wife was not so descriptive, saying "It smells ok." Still, I'm sticking with exquisite. "Frog Morton's Cellar: It smells better than car exhaust!"

Reading the can, one discovers that Frog Morton is a real frog who enjoys smoking pipes and drinking whiskey. This makes him about 100 times cooler than Kermit. Frog Morton's Cellar is a blend with actual cubes of wood in it that have been cut from the actual staves that make up the actual barrels that Frog Morton uses to age his own whiskey. Wow, who knew frogs were so inventive?

Ok, the Frog Morton story is cute and charming and all, but, alas, we know it's not real. McClelland got a hold of some old bourbon barrels, it seems. This then, is a "stave-aged" latakia/virginia blend that I quite enjoy and will be buying more of.

The tin note is sweet and bourbon-y. Rich-smelling. I don't consider this an aromatic in the sense that some sort of sauce has been poured on the weed itself, but it definitely has more going on than straight tobacco.

It is a well-balanced blend, taste-wise, with no one element being prominent. The bourbon element plays well with the latakia and virginia and there is a woodsy quality to the whole thing that comes from, obviously, the chunk of wood the tobacco is aged with. This woodsy quality is not as noticeable in the tin note but really comes out in the smoking. That block of wood may have been up against some bourbon for quite a long time, but it is still 99.99% wood, so it's no surprise that it has a pretty profound effect on the blend.

A delightful and inventive offering.

Snake Bloat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Snake Bloat (1)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I like FMC quite a bit. I used to avoid aromatics because of the usual tongue bite or soapy flavor that some of them have. I generally like Latakia blends, but the War Department often remarks about "burning camel dung." FMC seems to meet all requirements. It tastes good, no tongue bite, minimal snide comments, and it burns all the way down the bowl.

I've tried it in three different pipes. It performs best in deep narrow bowls.

Pipe Used: Several

Age When Smoked: 1 year

H Gillman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
H Gillman (32)

Very nice and enjoyable. Out of the tin the nose is mildly sweet and subtle. The ribbons are uniform and alternate between light and dark browns to black. Moisture fresh from the can is perfect for immediate use. Gravity feed....char...tamp....and light leaves you with a one match smoke. Cool. Mellow and subtly sweet this is a blend that is easily French inhaled and rolled around the tongue. I'm not sure if the charred oak chunk is really effective but it's a neat idea nonetheless. I will definitely keep this in my library as it is a nice simple smoke.

Pipe Used: Several Peterson's

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Stutter818 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stutter818 (38)

Mild, sweet latakia and Virginia blend. Mild whiskey flavour from the piece of whiskey barrel that is included in the tin to continue to add flavour to the tobacco - incredibly good smoke. It actually has hints of vanilla or even butterscotch just about throughout the bowl. Good puffs of white smoke too. Smoked really cool and absolutely zero bite. Excellent and my favourite tobacco so far. I finally found my "must have", and ordered 5 100g tins.

Pipe Used: Dunhill Estate Billiard

Age When Smoked: Unknown - gift sample

Purchased From: Gift

Lit a Kia Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Lit a Kia (35)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I'm a huge fan of the Frogs, but struggled a bit with this one. Smells terrific, but can be a bit of a challenge to keep lit if smoked fresh (my tin was pretty fresh too).

Seems to smoke best if you pack a bowl one or more days in advance. My last one sat for three days before I lit up, and it smoked like a charm; noticeably cleaner than the more Oriental-heavy versions like On the Town and Across the Pond.

Of course, letting it sit loses much of the rum aroma imparted by the toasted oak stave, but it's still there (faintly) in the background, and some nice vanilla-ish notes come through in the smoke.

TimD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TimD (1)
Medium Medium Full Pleasant

This has quickly become my favorite. I won't add too much. So many people with a better taste for tobacco than me have already commented. But, I will say that this is something I will never run out of. Tastes wonderful, smells great and smokes awesome.

Pipe Used: Dunhill

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

The latakia is smokey sweet and woodsy, and plays obvious background notes throughout the smoke, though never really rising to the top. The Virginia is grassy sweet. The whiskey flavor is choice and ever present. For someone looking for a mild aromatic English or thinking of crossing over from aros to English, this is a decent blend to start with, though it lacks depth and a bit of character. Needs some dry time, burns rather slowly with a consistent flavor.

Paul S. Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Paul S. (5)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant

At first I wasn't sure what to think about this tobacco. The aroma from the tin is as you would expect, yet very peculiar; the "new shoes" smell from the latakia, and sweet whiskey. The flavour is not as jarring as the smell, it is very enjoyable and smooth. I do find it tends to want to leap out of the pipe while smoking, but otherwise burns consistently and is very cool in the mouth. Overall, it is definitely different and recommended if you love latakia or are looking to switch from aromatics to English blends.

Pipe Used: Peterson System 303

Age When Smoked: Fresh Tin

boognish Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
boognish (1)
Mild Strong Medium to Full Tolerable

Perhaps my real issue is that I simply don't like whiskey flavored tobacco, but I think I'm going to toss this tin after trying to enjoy it several times. It tastes like I'm smoking the chunk of barrel that ships in the tin.

Pipe Used: Corn cob

Age When Smoked: 0-2 months

This is a smooth blend and one that I would call an aromatic. The flavors are whiskey, vanilla and smoky latakia. This smokes cool, without bite and that for me, is an unusual trait for an aero. I feel the blend has a bitter background flavor but a flavorful sweet/sour top note. I can see why many people would like this blend ,but for me , I just have a personal problem with the taste of latakia and vanilla , but this is very well done, I'm thinking Sillems Black in style (slight difference in taste) or 4N's Bald Headed Teacher but without the burley or maybe McC's Stave aged Virginia 35 Ribbon with Latakie forward rather than Virginia. Anyway, I'll give this 3 stars, which is very high for me with any Latakia/ vanilla blend .

Pipe Used: Maple hardwood

Similar Blends: See review.

Sinister Topiary Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sinister Topiary (74)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

Definitely a lovely flavored-english blend: smooth, creamy, smoky, subtly sweet... a quality smoke in every way.

So why not four stars? I'll get to that in a moment.

This is the third of the Frog Mortons I've tried. They're all lovely: the base of these blends provides a solid, stable flavor profile that the master blenders of McClelland know how to tweak into wonderful variations of a theme. But no matter how lovely the details of these variations may be, the base flavor predominates.

I liken it to an omelette: no matter how you vary the fillings, it's still an omelette. Some fillings will be better than others, some won't work at all. If the omelette is over- or undercooked, nothing will taste right. But a great omelette, cooked just right, transcends the particularities of its fillings, no matter the difference in flavor. The omelette is the canvas on which to perform flavor variations.

Ultimately, this is why I give it three instead of four stars: Frog Morton's base blend is a wonderful three-star canvas, and to me this variation does not lift it to the next level: Cellar is a subtly-sweet-bourbon-whisper variation of what is essentially the same flavor profile as the other Frog Mortons.

I can see why many of my esteemed peers believe that this is the variation that lifts the base blend to the next level; but, truth be told, I actually prefer both Bayou and Town to this one. They're all successful variations on a theme, so ultimately it comes down to a matter of taste preference. Which means that this, as well as the other Frog Mortons, are worth a try if you're shopping for just the right velvety smooth subtly-flavored English.

woodworker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
woodworker (4)

When I came back to pipe smoking after a 20 year hiatus I wanted to avoid both strong nicotene and dull tobaccos. I am a one-pipe-a-day smoker, two at the most, and I smoke to relax and think.

My needs are very simple: a reliable inexpensive pipe (I chose a Grabow), and a reliable flavorful tobacco. Pipeworks and Wilke #10 turned out to be an excellent english blend summer smoke, but as summer waned and autumn approached it seemed a bit too mild. I read the reviews and eventually was tempted to try Frog Morton's Cellar, and it has become my favorite. I've come to enjoy latakia and this has a bunch, but the latakia doesn't overwhelm. It just gives it a woodsy smoky flavor. I don't like aromatics and don't really need them since I smoke outdoors or in my ventilated woodshop where it won't bother others, but I find that the subtle whiskey flavoring compliments this tobacco very much. I've noticed that the wife likes to come out on the back porch when I'm smoking and sit with me. This is a good sign, yes?

With most tobaccos there seem to be days when the pipe just seems bitter or "off". With Cellar this hasn't been a problem. As I say, my needs are simple. This is a fine, fine tobacco and I couldn't be happier with it.

Joeray Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Joeray (61)

I can lie to my self that I really like this blend. A great latakia blend with virginia sweetness and scent aroma of whiskey. I smoke this blend using my Tsuge Kaga brandy shape and it smokes great! Really great so I decide this blend as the blend that i must buy again.

LivingFreeinTN Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LivingFreeinTN (8)
Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Maybe it's my love of Virginias or maybe I simply don't have the nuanced palate to appreciate this blend, but Frog Morton's Cellar hit me wrong from the start. The smoky bbq aroma of the tobacco offended me at the tin opening and went downhill from there. It tasted like wood and dirt from the first light and just got more pronounced further down the bowl. I thought I may not like Latakia but seasoned smokers have posted how it's presence is light to nonexistent. Whatever it is, I did not enjoy it. Maybe as I become more experienced as a pipe smoker I will appreciate it; so its off to my cellar for Frog Morton's Cellar.

CoolPilot Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CoolPilot (64)

This is a mix between Captain Black, some latakia, and a smoke scent. Latakia is on the rear, quiet and almost nonexistent for latakia smokers. Truly an aromatic blend, but too similar to Captain Black to deserve 3 stars. The block of wood in the can does not impress me. The price does.. it is over 3 times more expensive than captain black or similar cheap blends. The whisky is an invention to me, since the aromatic flavor is certainly artificial being identical to other blends.

corncobcolombiano Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
corncobcolombiano (8)
Mild Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I get excited about other blends of course, but this one, along with a few others, is always one of those blends I want to go to when I look upon my jars of tobacco, trying to decide with which to fill the bowl... though it does seem to border (and perhaps it just IS) an aromatic tobacco experience (vanilla has to be added it seems to my taste buds) it is a wonderful experience from opening the jar, to charring light, to the very end of the bowl. I love the mild latakia and virginia taste and what perhaps is the whiskey coming through, as well as whatever else it is dancing off my tongue and in my nostrils! For me a very sweet smoke, and similar to Beck's Ol'Limey Bastard. Both are very good in my humble opinion.

EDIT: Well, the longer I've smoked and the more I've smoked, the less I've come to love Ol' Cellar. Hate to say it... but have to be honest with myself. For me, it increasing tastes cased with vanilla and something else. This does not destroy it for me, and I still enjoy it, but I do choose others over it pretty often now. Perhaps my pallet is maturing, perhaps it's just the natural way this hobby works, and perhaps it will return. However it feels more cased to me now and is less of what I prefer. I've come to prefer blends that have little to no casing... down one star...

Strichetto Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Strichetto (16)

I'm smoking it... just now. Bought in Switzerland in 2013 at a top end price, it's really very expensive, here in Europe. Packed in an aluminium tin, quite nice, but mainly functional to preserve a perfect moisture, helped by the whiskey soaked oak chunk inside (!)... the result is terrific: sometimes I think that yankees do it better. Medium cut, not very rough, nice mixed colour, quite dark.

Scent: really good, no doubt, with a seemingly natural good whiskey flavour.

Taste: not strong, nor really full bodied, but tasteful. Maybe not so soft as only super-EMs are, but no biting at all, and satisfying.

Room note: not intrusive or heavy, it's ok, and easy.

Burning: a bit faster than my ideal rough mixture, more on the easy side.

Best Briars: the good ones...

My goodness, not the best tobacco I've tried in my life, but this blend is good. Recommended. It lacks only a bit of strenght, and is unfortunately so expensive...

Purchased From: Dubini, Switzerland

Smoking Sam Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Smoking Sam (20)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I've got the pantry stocked with Frog Morton Cellar. It is in my regular rotation, and currently my #3 pipe tobacco.

Initial thoughts: Wonderful tin aroma. Perfect moisture level. Lights easily, and just cruises effortlessly thereafter.

Taste? At first, the Latakia spiciness is front and center. The first third of the bowl produces a stinging nose exhale. No Virgina sweetness noted.

Middle of bowl: the Latakia takes a step back and assumes a supporting note. The Virginia sweetness steps up to the plate. Milder. Can be nose exhaled now with no burn.

Lots of flavor throughout the bowl. Medium strength. Needs almost no relights. Doesn't bite. No noticeable nicotene buzz.

Frog Morton Cellar is tasty! Pairs well with bourbon, rum, or coffee. 3.5 stars. Highly recommended.

smokey Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smokey (120)
Medium Very Mild Very Full Pleasant

After reading a couple of positive reviews about FMC, I sent off to Mars Cigars for a 100 gram tin. I've always been a fan of the Frog series and hoped this one would also be a favorite. To make a long story short, FMC is my favorite of the series and a top 5 tobacco for me.

FMC has a rather pleasant note in the tin and my wife likes the room aroma, which is really nice because I have been smoking a LOT of this blend. It has shades of brown and black in the tin and is a ribbon cut. I've found a loose pack works best with it but it still requires more than the average amount of relights. FMC has a very nice mild taste with a touch of Latakia in the background. There is also a bit of sweetness there, perhaps from some VA combined with the whiskey soaked barrel stave put in the can.It is also reasonably priced.

I am on my 4th bowl of this tobacco today, something that rarely happens with me. That should tell a lot about how highly I think of this blend. Scores for Frog Morton's Cellar:: taste- 19 of 20; lighting and burn- 7 of 10; price- 8 of 10. 34 points equals a high ** score and another winner for McClelland Tobacco.

robinbj Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
robinbj (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

If you have yet to try this outstanding blend, what the hell is wrong with you???

The tin note is very strong. The latakia plays a light role in the scent, and the whiskey bounds through like gang-busters! Fantastically sensual!

The light up is very mild, and creamy. The flavors are only there for an instant, and tempts you to puff again, giving you a peep show of their potential yet again. Its like a game of cat and mouse of sensuality that leads you down a road to Frog Mortons cellar, where you come to the realization the journey was half the fun, the finish is yet to come.

The bowl smokes down effortlessly, and by the time you reached the end, you tear slightly, wishing there was more. Kinda like that night in Panama City that you keep mentally reliving (not the one where you see Grandma Naked....)

Please, do your tastebuds a flavor, and try this blend!

LoneRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneRider (12)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Tolerable

Mortgage your house; sell your firstborn; do whatever you have to do to stock up on this blend. The expression "hit it out of the ballpark" is an understatement for Frog Morton's Cellar! It's more like the shot in "The Natural" where the ball keeps going and going and going.

Tin Aroma: Upon opening you are met with the scent of the whiskey. However, it is not overwhelming as some blends are. Mild latakia follows giving the blend a needed "umph" factor. It should be noted that this blend is quite moist. That said, it's moisture did not pose a problem when lighting up.

Taste: As good as it gets. This blend rests easily on the tongue.The latakia balances everything out. Some smokers say that latakia is too strong,but I disagree. In the right amounts latakia is a spectacular leaf. In this case McClelland uses just that perfect balance of latakia.

Frog Morton's Cellar is a rare treat indeed. It is one of those "if I could only have one blend" types. I'll definately have many tins on hand :) I just couldn't fit the stave in any of my pipes.

unixhelp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
unixhelp (7)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Great stuff...took me 3 days to smoke those wooden staves though ;)

acastell Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
acastell (2)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well, it has been a very long time since I submitted a review. Partly because I fell off the pipe for a number of years, and partly because, when I did fill my pipe, my ole faithfuls (namely Pipeworks & Wilke Bleeker St since Dunhill too a breather from mixing A21000) stood proud. My wife lets me smoke inside, she often comments on the nice aroma, so, why stray from aros...

About 6 months ago, now that I have my smoking room finished and professionally vented, I felt it was time to take care of the smoker, not the audience...on to English blends I went...started with Dunhill MM 965, liked it. Then onto Squadron Leader, really liked it...but, never felt compelled to write a review. While these 2 blends all but knocked my PW blends out of the rotation, they still did not drive me to review.

The next blend, Frog Morton OTT...wow, now, I felt like I landed on a keeper. This became my daily go to...ever, ever so slightly, it helped me get back to my beloved Bleeker St., marrying the natural, earthy flavors of the English with a bit of sweetness...Encouraged by the nature of this blend, and still yearning for a bit more sweetness (not the right word, as I do not want Maple sugar sweet, but some added notes to accompany the Lat) I ordered FM Cellar, hoping to notch up the aro/sweetness/flavor component just a bit...well, this blend is spot on brilliant, (to me and my palate)....I am 50g into this tobacco and very satisfies...so much so, I am writing a review....

I am not going try to make an attempt to explain the flavor, smoking characteristics etc...this review could be akin to a car review that, rather than quote the marketing brochure 0-60 speeds to show that the car is fast, the reviewer simply states that 'my butt dyno tells me this car is fast".

The few reviews tell me this tobacco is good...the words on the tin tell me this tobacco is good...my palate tells me this tobacco is STELLAR!

Give it a try...

BigD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigD (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I am honored and pleased to be the first reviewer for this amazing blend. Mike and Mary from McClelland's came by our monthly meeting for the GCKPC last week and brought us samples of both this blend and Stave Aged Virginia. I spent Thursday and Saturday with this blend and have smoked 10 bowls out of 3 different pipes.

Let me start off by saying that I am not a fan of any of the other Frog Morton Blends. I know many love them, but for me I'm more of a Syrian Star kind of man and love my Syrian latakia and tend to shy away from Cyprian blends. I was also very skeptical about this blend because of the "wood insert" in the tin. I wasn't sure how it would work, and as these tins have only had 2 weeks to age it's still pretty new. So with that in mind, here's the review.

I started at pipe club packing my Bruce Weaver lovat (a great english smoker) with a bowl full of the fragrant Whiskey touched leaves. Taking a whiff out of the tin you get a sense of the Latakia, but not overwhelmingly so like some of the other Morton's. This seems to just tease you. You also get a light sense of the whiskey but only when your nose is near the stave.

Once the bowl was packed I performed my pre light ritual of 4 big inhales through the pipe to clear the chamber and test the draw. On inhale one the flavor hit me. A delicious taste of of an almost sweet liquor hit my mouth. I sniffed the tobacco again but got no smell to match what I was tasting. The next 3 inhales all felt the same. So I decided to apply heat. Upon the Charring light I was now greeted with a stronger taste but now with that creamy smoothness of the tobacco joining it. I got a good char and then moved to the relight. Now here is where it gets impressive. Keep in mind this is non-dried tobacco straight out of the tin. I smoked the bowl for 1 hour and 5 minutes straight with no relight. The tobacco burned smooth and even and the flavor profile was delicious. After about 20 puffs I passed my pipe to club president John Cermack (a Morton Lover of all flavors) and told him he had to take a puff. His reaction was as surprised as mine and I had to pry the pipe out of his hands so I could resume my smoke.

The first 10 minutes or so were creamy whiskey goodness which slowly brought forth the latakia flavor. About 20 minutes in I had a good hit of the latakia but the sweetness seemed to go almost buttery. After 40 minutes a nice nutty flavor emerged that really stayed for the rest of the smoke. The smokes since have all followed very similar patterns with a few hitting the buttery flavor earlier in the smoke, but all have been completely wonderful and refreshing. This will most likely become a regular in my rotation. Mike and Mary have truly come up with a new and amazing blend. My applause to you and my thanks for giving us at the Greater Kansas City Pipe Club a chance to be early samplers of the blend.

Dustin "Big D" Babitzke

Grovesy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Grovesy (7)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Frog mortons cellar has become my go to lately. The room note is pleasant, taste is great, its just a all around well put together blend. The smokiness of the latakia and a hint of whiskey, man its good. Wish I could buy it in bulk!

Pipe Used: Vintage Silver King Deluxe

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (75)
Mild Strong Mild Pleasant

Baaah! I really thought i was going to love this one. Not so. I love the other FM's except on the town. The chunk of wood is cute and certainly imparts it's flavour well. But it's too light, thin even and the plonk they have used ends up being the main taste. Gets bitter towards the end. Next.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (19)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I'm in the mood for some Latakia, this tobacco is in my top 3 running. Smoky, sweet, and rich. The 100g tin has a piece of Whiskey barrel in it to enhance the aroma. Simply delicious.

Pipe Used: MM Cob

Purchased From: Beehive Cigars, Salt Lake CIty, UT

Similar Blends: Nothing like it, frankly..

gtclark Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gtclark (8)

I'll let others eloquently describe this quality leaf. Suffice it to say this is the tastiest Latakia blend I've had the pleasure of smoking. The wife likes the room-note to boot!

Cochon74 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cochon74 (21)

My first Frog Morton tobacco... Meh. It's okay. A solid, if not remarkable blend. A suitable canvas for the bourbon aromas which have permeated the leaf.

You notice the aroma right away... Oaky, vanilla, caramelly. The scent translates nicely into the bowl, especially upon lighting. Marries well with the Latakia, but this seems reasonable, given the generic profile of the blend.

All in all, a pleasant, if forgettable, smoke for this lover of true English blends. I think I'd rather just have a solid English blend with a nice glass of any number of top-shelf bourbons.

A good gateway blend for those switching from aromatics or non-lat tobaccoes, but not for me.

Pipe Used: Savinelli billiard, Ben Wade Ovation bulldog

Age When Smoked: 2013

Purchased From: Cigar and Tabac, KCMO

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (36)

This is good blend. The whiskey flavor adds a nice twang to the latakia. The latakia is well balanced. Burns nicely. Would buy this again.

This is my favorite frog I have had so far. The others I have tried are the original FM and FMATP. I gave those two pretty low marks, so the bar is low. With this I find an lat blend that is pretty easy to smoke. It can be pretty tasty to satisfy the contemplative smoke, but also easy to enjoy when you are busy doing chores or such.

I guess you can say it is a good all day smoke. My major problem is that I would turn to two other blends by McClelland to satisfy either of those needs. For the contemplative lat blend, I want some Blue Mountain. for the lat blend to smoke while I am busy with other pursuits, I want some Old Dog.

I am not sure what kind of impact the stave has on the leaf. I plan to use the stave in another blend of which I have been smoking to see if it makes a difference there. I am not sure whether there is a whiskey topping added as well, but there is definitely some sweetness that goes beyond what I would normally get from a McClelland Virginia.

That said, I will probably not order any more of this one, but I do recommend it as I don't think someone can be too disappointed with it, because it is just so easy to smoke.

That, and the stave is kind of cool.

StageCarp Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
StageCarp (4)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Very Pleasant

Oh baby, where have you been all my life! Redundant to echo all the thumb's up reviews. On my second tin. Rarely (if ever) have I taken such an instant liking to a blend.I believe most Aromatic and English lovers will find an aspect to like here. (The stave cube from my first tin has found a home in my second, now that there's room). Only downside of this one for me is that I can't buy a pound drum of it at a time..... truly a treat IMHO. Get some! Yeah!

Pipe Used: MM Freehand . will see no other tabac!

Age When Smoked: gone soon after purchase

Purchased From: Iwan Ries

Magambi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Magambi (2)

Man, I like this. I think it's my favorite, and that's saying something. Yes, I tire of it; but when I open it back up after putting it away for a while, it's like coming home. The raw tobacco makes me think of my dad's study and beer cellars in Germany. The taste is so pleasant. The smile on my face is broad. Hand me a beer and a sunset.

Purchased From: Cigar & Tabac, 6898 W 105th St, Overland Park, KS (913) 381-5597

Bdub Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bdub (4)
Medium Very Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

Very smooth tobacco with a hint of smoky whiskey that is not overwhelming. Leaves a sweet whiskey flavor on the back of the tongue for a while that is surprisingly pleasant. For someone who is getting away from aromatic's, this should be at the top of your list! The tin note is very nice, especially with the staved cube from a charred whiskey barrel in the tin.

Pipe Used: McKie Pipes

TnRooster Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TnRooster (15)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

Frog Morton's Ass would have been a more appropriate name. This review has to be a 25 word minimum; only 10 were needed for it.

Similar Blends: Smoking barbecued hair..

Pipe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe (18)
Mild Mild Very Mild Tolerable

I really had High hopes for this blend. It packed ok, Moisture out of the can was acceptable. Date code on my small can is 470413 , Really nice chunk of wood in the can. Stayed Lite pretty well, Didnt bite nor get too hot. Very Weak in body, Very very mild nicotine, No whiskey flavor present. It reminds me of several other MC bulk latakia blends. very dissappointed. It did smell pretty good in the can.

Pipe Used: Grabow Omega

Purchased From: P & C

Bulldog8483 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bulldog8483 (5)

I've wanted to try this tobacco for quite some time now and I went in blind as I had never tried any of Frog Morton's baccy (kind of a newer pipe smoker). I read several reviews and watched several reviews on YouTube as well and many people were saying that they enjoyed the blend, so I went ahead and, as I said, blindly bought a big tin of it and I am pleased that I did.

The tobacco smells like the other typical FM blends and I am not a fan of the tin note at all... It actually kind of stinks to me, but the smoke on the other hand is very different from that smell. When smoking the blend, it smells like a smokey campfire (in my opinion) and I would be willing to bet it would be quite pleasing to those you smoke around as a result. The taste on the tongue is mild to medium and it doesn't leave your mouth tasting horrible either. It is a smooth smoke with absolutely no bite and I for one absolutely love that about it.

I have noticed that it tends to need relighting when it gets near the end of the bowl and that occurs more than with some of my other blends, but I'm not sure if that is just me??? Regardless, I do recommend you giving this blend a try due to pleasantness of it. When it is gone, I imagine that I will be buying another tin, but who knows what I will be into then. That is certainly the great thing about this hobby and that is the ability to take your time and try so many different types of tobaccos at a leisurely pace. I feel honored to be a part of the pipe smoking community with you all. You all are great and thanks for your reviews on other blends. I have you all to thank for guiding me in this process. Happy smoking :)

Pipe Used: Mr. Brog Amigo 51 and MM Corn Cob

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin and also a week plus

drgonzo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
drgonzo (2)
Mild Medium Medium Pleasant

Imagine mixing a fine sweet whiskey, a bit of bakers spices, and Baileys Irish cream together. Them allow the concoction to absorb the first rising whiffs of smoke from fruit wood campfire and you have Frog in his Cellar.

By God is this a wonderful smoke! From the sweet cream and almost yuletide like spice of those first few sips, through to the more robust virginia and latakia combo and then finishing in a dance of whiskey and Irish cream.. Its almost like a three course meal.

A nice bit of nicotine but not too strong at all and you're in heaven. You can go all night with the frog and still want more by daybreak. In fact this blend will find its home in one of my deeper briars as it is a rare treat to find anything in life where a little is good and a lot is better.

Even now I find my tongue is aching for the taste. Let your pipe sit and smell the bowl and try to convince yourself that you didn't just smoke Baileys Irish Cream! Love it.

Pipe Used: Cob, soon to be deep Briar.

Age When Smoked: fresh from tin

Kylena Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kylena (4)

Such an amazing blend! Mild, smooth, smokey, creamy, mellow and sweet. I can taste the whiskey aroma as the background note. It has enough latakia, well-mixed with the virginia. For me this blend is quite simple, not complex but very very enjoyable. Aromatic or English? I don't really care, i love both. I bought some thins for aging purpose (maybe 2 years).

Pipe Used: English Clay Pipe

Purchased From: RanStobacco (Bandung-Indonesia)

no guts no glory Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
no guts no glory (4)
Mild Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

A beautiful English smoke, one of my favorite, smooth, creamy, smoky and rich. Smokes cool even if you puff on it like a mad man…

Pipe Used: savinelli

Age When Smoked: the day i opened the tin

Purchased From: www.smokingpipes.com

Travelingmanwv Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Travelingmanwv (3)
Mild to Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Great smoke and I'm very pleased with the Frog Morton Cellar. Personally I think it's got a wonderful flavor and room note. I usually accompany a pipe of FMC with a bold dark roast coffee. Great combination!

Pipe Used: Grabow Freehand

Purchased From: www.wvsmokeshop.com

htduck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
htduck (23)

The son-in-law gave me a 1/2 tin of this. I like the Frog but I am not locked into him. If this was the only baccy I could get - that would be ok with me. The Frog stands out the best with this blend. Smooth and creamy. Read my reviews over the years and you will know that tasty, smooth and a creamy smoke win me over every time. Will I buy a few tins to cellar? You bet. Will I share with the son-in-law? Yeah, I guess. He is good to daughter and grand-baby. He looks as if he will work out. Thanks J. I am no prize and I know it. Glad you have my back.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: 50

Similar Blends: Sturks.

TexasPipeGuy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TexasPipeGuy (6)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I found this blend to be ok. I am just not a fan of the casing/flavoring used. Whiskey and tobacco I like. I just don't like the whiskey in the tobacco. I would rather it be in my glass. Outside of that. Great smoke similar to O FM. Cool smoke and no bite.

Pipe Used: Nording Bent

Purchased From: Pipes and Cigars .com

CTS Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
CTS (109)

Billed as mild and fragrant, FMC delivers a smooth, mild to medium-bodied blend. Little flavor carry-over from puff to puff - clears well. Nice peppery note on retrohale.

Pipe Used: Peterson

Age When Smoked: Tin code 470213

Purchased From: Corona Smoke Shop, Battle Creek, MI ~ 6 months ago

krg1000 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
krg1000 (133)

I must say that this is a great addition to the FM series. The various tobaccos come together quite nicely leaving one to have another bowl straight away. The only fault I have with this blend is that it is quite moist right out of the tin, definitely needs some drying time if this irks you. Like the others in the FM series, I wish I could get these in bulk. Highly recommended.

Halbarad Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Halbarad (3)

An absolutely wonderful little mixture from McClelland. I would recommend this for experienced English smokers and new ones alike. I am enamored by how dynamic this tobacco is. The bowl open sweet and remains so throughout the bowl, however, the sweetness looses prominence towards the bottom of the bowl and gives way to some light spiciness. Froggy's blessed cellar smells so good on might mistake it for a bourbon latakia aromatic, but there is no casing as far as I am aware. This is a great smoke as the season change and the cold weather sets in. Just wonderful!

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Mr.MeerBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr.MeerBill (35)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I feel like I am the only person that does not like this stuff smells great burns great does not taste great to me but give it a shot it's defiantly different

thecigarslob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
thecigarslob (2)
Medium Medium Medium Tolerable to Strong

I'm fairly new to pipe tobacco as I'm transitioning from smoking cigars to more pipes as of late. Being a cigar guy might be why I've immediately taken a liking to latakia blends. This is the first of the Frog Morton blends I've tried and I must say I enjoy it very much. I would call this far from an aromatic myself...I can smell a bit of the whiskey scent in the tin but get none of the flavor or aroma once burning. This one is quite a bit lighter than my other favorite Latakia blend (Nightcap) so I find myself reaching for this tin more often as it doesn't burn out my palate like Nightcap sometimes can. I love the lingering aftertaste after finishing a bowl.

RonL Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RonL (3)
Medium to Strong None Detected Very Full Tolerable

Okay, first a bit about me so you know where I'm coming from. I recently began smoking a pipe again after about 25 years away from it (spawned by the inheritance of my Dad's pipe collection). First task: Rediscover what kind of tobacco I like. A friend is partial to McClelland tobaccos, so that's where I started. In the past few weeks, I've tried the following McClelland leaf: Frog Morton's Cellar, Holiday Spirit, Town Topic, and Deep Hollow, and 2045 Oriental Mixture (bulk). In addition, I've tried Orlik Golden Sliced, and a few identity-unknown tobacco shop blends known simply as "Cavendish Caramel," and "Oxford."

Okay, what I've learned is that I don't like Latakia. The smoky, ashtray taste just rubs me wrong. I know Cellar is a popular blend, and loads of people love it, but for me, the Latakia is just too much. McClelland's 2045 Oriental Mixture is better. It has less Latakia in it than Cellar. I really wanted to like this because of all the positive reviews, but I just can't get past the ashtray taste.

Others may like the oak campfire smell/taste, and if so, that's fantastic - McClelland needs to sell this stuff to someone. But they won't be selling it to me. Instead, I'll be stocking up on Town Topic and Deep Hollow, my go-to blends.

Kevfoong Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kevfoong (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

This is a 2nd tobacco I purchase which is my 1st English Blend. When I 1st open the tin, I smell BBQ source. The smoke are smooth and creamy. The Nic department is mild which I like very much.

I would recommend this to people that would like to try out Latakia blend.

I manage to finish the whole 50g tin within 2 weeks and I will 100% getting another tin.

jlmdoval Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jlmdoval (11)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

This is only to state that I agree with every single review that rated FM'sC 4 stars. I bought a tin based on the good reviews here and they are all true! Great tobacco, very pleasant smoke.

Calebargh Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Calebargh (2)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I'm a new smoker, I've tried Mac-Baren's Mixture Modern, 4Noggin's Killington, Seattle Pipe Club's Plum Pudding and Mississippi River, and Dunhill EMP, and a few others. I started out with Non-aromatics, and the killington's is the only non- aromatic I've smoked, and the FMC was my second tin of tobacco after the mixture modern, in comparison to it, I really enjoy FMC much more, and after the others along the way that I've mentioned, I come back to FMC and just enjoy every puff of it. I commited my David Jones pipe to it, and haven't smoked anything else out of it but FMC. It's a cool smoke, stays lit pretty well, no tongue bite at all. I like plum pudding's peppery latakia flavor, and I'd have to say that FMC tastes like it has less peppery taste to it. I am a fan of the latakia, but not a fan of Seattle Pipe Club's Mississippi River if that helps. I'm not a connoisseur, and can only compare it to what I've tried and my personal tastes. I am a fan of dark chocolate and black coffee, so if you like cream coffee and milk chocolate, then maybe this isn't the tobacco for you, however, a cup of flavored coffee sounds like it would be really good with it! Maybe I'll try that next time - oh btw, I've probably smoked about 50 grams worth of it so far, and it gets better everytime. Thanks, hope that helps.

DivCurl Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DivCurl (4)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Frog Morton Cellar happens to be the first blend with Latakia that I ever tried. After reading reviews on it for some time, I decided it was worth my while to finally give it a go. I'm exceedingly happy I did.

Every time I load my bowl with Cellar, I find something new to like about it. The very first time I tried it, I must admit I was confused due to never having tried a blend even remotely like it. I didn't like it, I didn't dislike it, I was simply perplexed at the complexity of the flavors. I remained patient, and after only the second or third bowl I was hooked on this stuff. It's still paying off and even returning dividends. The quality of the blend is immediately apparent to me: it simply looks beautiful in the tin, smells earthy and fresh, has a perfect moisture content and I can honestly say it burns more equally and cool than any other blend I've tried thus far. It's effortless for me to light and probably the easiest for me to smoke.

Cellar gave me a nice, light introduction into Latakia blends and remains one of my favorites while still surprising me with its complex flavors and scents. Just writing this review down makes me yearn for my next bowl.

TheWoodwose Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheWoodwose (17)

I really like the aesthetic of the tin and the barrel stave that comes with it.

It is a bit hard to keep lit (for me anyway) but it is a very cool smoke. The taste is over all fairly mild but it has a hint of an aftertaste I don't like (an unpleasant artificial taste is the best I can describe it).

I smoked 3 bowls of it in a brand new Stanwell Deluxe (which I had intended to dedicate it to) and while it smoked well, the aftertaste I mentioned really bothered me. So then I then I smoked it in my Peterson bulldog (2 or 3 bowls) and I enjoyed it more because the aftertaste wasn't as pronounced (I am guessing because it has long since been broken in) but it still wasn't what I was hoping for after reading all the rave reviews. I then switched to my Savinelli straight Dublin with a filter and liked it best out of the lot. The aftertaste was barely noticeable and on the relights it really had a great flavor, smoky and a little nutty (to me anyway). But unfortunately that wasn't very consistent throughout the bowl.

Maybe whiskey flavored tobaccos just aren't my thing. It is still a good tobacco, I just can't give it 4 stars.

firecaptmd Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
firecaptmd (4)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Another Frog Morton classic. The whiskey marries to the latakia quite well. I am not a whiskey-flavored tobacco fan, but when the spirits combine with the latakia, a true winner is produced.

007 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
007 (3)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

What manner of magic is this? How has a mere toad bewitched me? What is this wooden charm imbued with mysterious flavorings buried beneath its black and purple ribbons? I wake in the night craving it, my mouth waters when I think about it, my wallet opens at the sight of it, and it vanishes before my very eyes more quickly than my flight to the tobacconist when it is in short supply!

My god its delicious, but I have to remind myself that it is indeed a Latakia, and one that is quite full-flavored for my pallet. No matter! I can smoke it all-day, but for me it must be done carefully for the strength of the leaf. Kept in a rotation with my less-acidic whiskey-sweet Latakias, the flavor is savoured more than if smoked in multiple consecutive bowls--and consecutive bowls of Frog Morton's Cellar are smoked often in my house. Its a must-have for me at all times. I count the hours between shipments when I run out.

If it were up to me, I would prefer a flake or cake as ribbon-cut leaves burn a bit too quickly for me, but only a fool would consider that a deal-breaker! And all the better for me if someone did. More for me to buy!

I defy you to find its equal! Hail to the frog!

BriarBox Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BriarBox (1)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

This is my first review. I sit here now, jazz playing low on my back porch. Just lit up a bowl of Frog Morton's Cellar....wow, just wow. To give an idea of how amazing this is, I just made an account to give this major props. I read numerous review and was skeptical that it could be as good as everyone says. I'm relatively new to pipes. I come from the cigar world, now loving the even slower pace of the pipe world. I had not found anything that just blew me away. Soooo many likes but no loves. I tried many aromatics which were ok but just missed something. I tried Oxford flake, and premium English blends that were very good, but still just did not just make me overly excited. I pulled the trigger and ordered a 50g tin of FMC. Had a long day at work, came home and worked out. Sat down, smelled the opened tin that I JUST had delivered and just melted. The Latakia, as everyone says, is definitely there, but it's just so tame. It's so smooth I can't describe it. The wood stage from the whiskey barrel is genius IMHO. It gives it that extra sweet was and complexity. You just sit there discovering new tastes and smells. Makes me appreciate my pipe and reflect on my day. Reminds me of sitting by a bonfire at night with a cool breeze coming off the lake while set up in my hammock. Love it. All I can say. Being my first review I'm sure this is just scattered thoughts. Just had to make an account and brag on this tobacco. It's a beautiful thing to come across something like this. I found my tin, my go to relaxation button. I'd type more but I'm using two hands and my pipe went out, time to get back to my happy place. The wife loved the smell, also big plus. Definitely a tin for beginners to pipe vets. Seems to burn cool and slow with absolutely NO tongue bite while staying buttery smooth. Much respect from myself and my Peterson pipe for this blend. Take that trip through Frog Morton's Cellar, but be warned, you may not leave.

Tamper Dan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tamper Dan (8)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

The smell out of the tin is rich and creamy with just a hint of whiskey. The taste is smooth and balanced. It smokes so cool that I usually end up finishing a bowl in 20 minutes. One of my all time favorites.

Pipe Used: all of them

portugesepride Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
portugesepride (7)

I don't need to another long review about this blend. It smells good. It tastes good. It smokes great. The charring light on my very first bowl was all it needed to win me over. Cellar and Bayou are my favorites in this series.

McKNooB Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
McKNooB (34)

Smokey rear end latakia for sure. Love it!!! Having graduated away from aromatics (very soon after joining the Men of Briar), I've been on the hunt for blends that keep me coming back. This is one.

I maybe shouldn't include JM B's Northwoods in this review but I dig the Smokey Bear herein. I love JMB's Northwoods and Countryside but I need something lighter yet flavoured still. I like the flavour of this one. The Booze element is just right by me; not too strong yet enough to remind the smoker that whiskey makes for soemthing savoury and worth while in the right blend.

This is the right blend. The War Department agrees; it makes for a pleasant smoke and Justice For All.

The Right Reverend Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Right Reverend (32)

I was eagerly anticipating this tin as my intro to Frog. I was not disappointed. The taste is like a lighter and less musty version of STM by Just For Him. It smoked cool. I'm not an aromatic smoker, but I keep some around for the ladies in my life - and they approve of this one.

Update: Finally a Latakia blend I can smoke all day. Not biting, smoking cool in the bowl. I really enjoy this stuff.

Mild Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

After smoking tins of GLP's Sextant and Navigator and discovering that booze and latakia in the same blend don't work for me, I told myself to stay away from this one - no need to try it. However, a well-meaning pipe buddy was bound and determined to send me an ounce to sample, which I did... and since I record my tasting notes via this site on everything I smoke, here they are. Please disregard this "review" if you enjoy this kind of thing.

I like the idea of this, and I think it's well done. The latakia is well to the rear and provides its usual smoke. The whiskey flavor is a bit too pronounced for me, but as I hinted at above, this is a personal bias. The cube is a nice touch and I loved McC's Stave-Aged virginia blend very much. But as with the other booze/latakia blends, the mixing of the two threw the flavor into cloudiness, almost as if the two offset each other but also became less than the sum of their parts. Crossover blends are conceptually nice, but I find that most of them fail to excite my taste buds. Add at least one star to my rating if you like the concept because I think McClellands made this blend into exactly what they were shooting for. In fact, if you think you might like this, you should definitely give it a try. If you're pretty sure you won't, as I was, try it only if it's free!

gladi8tor96 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
gladi8tor96 (49)

Excellent blend! Open the tin, smells like good ole froggy with a kick of whiskey. Perfect! Lights well, smells great while smoking, and actually tastes great. This is a must have or at least must try blend for all smokers.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Mild Medium Mild Pleasant

Notes of vanilla cream, citrus and very light Latakia. Low nic. Very complex flavors

MyPipeAndBook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
MyPipeAndBook (9)
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

McClelland Got this one right. If you're taste buds are use to a latakia bomb....This blend probably won't do much for you. But as a cross over blend from aromatics to english blends this may be just what you're looking for. Here is a blend where you can taste the Virginia without it being overwhelmed by the Latakia. I found this one to be a little wet out of the tin, but dried out perfectly within a half hour. The burn was slow and cool and very enjoyable. I would give this one a try if you want a lighter english crossover blend.

WilDavis Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
WilDavis (2)

I was looking for a baccy which was my favourite when I lived in the U.K. "The Balkan Sobranie Original Smoking Mixture", and by George! I think I've found it!! Many fond memories conjoured up by one single bowl. Ah! Bliss!! Now all I need is something which equates to the "Balkan Sobranie #759 Mixture". - Wil Davis (NH)

ap Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ap (56)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

Great interplay of Virginias and Latakia with light notes of whiskey. extremely cool burning and smooth all the way.

ArchtopBill Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ArchtopBill (16)
Strong Medium to Strong Very Full Very Pleasant

I have a new favorite. This so smooth and a nice dry smoke. The cube of barrel stave is a neat touch.

rowediddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
rowediddy (2)
Medium Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I don't always smoke aromatics. But when I do, I want them to be like FMC. Similar in genre to SCTM from just for him, but a higher grade of tobaccos. As an English / balkan fan, I have limited time for aro's, and this one will be Occupying most of that time. A perfect gateway blend for aro fans into real tobacco. A nice change of pace for Latakia whores, such as myself. Well done Frog. Ribbit.

tabaco Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tabaco (69)
Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Pleasant

Opening the tin it reminds me a lot of Boylan's Creme Vanilla soda.

Smokes fine, burns cool, with a creamy mouth-feel. The Latakia shows-up about mid-bowl, albeit subdued considerably.

Overall a pleasant tobacco; however, a bit too understated. Mind you that's the point, simply not quite to my liking though. This might be a good blend for English/Balkan devotees who are looking to please others with their room-note; compromise. Personally, I don't puff to please anyone be it pipes or cigars.

I'll finish the tin quickly, I can see it fading fast once opened; however, I won't seek it out again. Mac Baren's Solent is sort of similar with a bit more Latakia upfront.

riobrew Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
riobrew (2)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

What a great tobacco. When I opened the tin I was floored. WOW!!! If you have not tried it Just do it. Right balance of virginia to lak. The whiskey rounds it all out.

arpie55 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
arpie55 (27)
Mild to Medium Mild Mild Pleasant

starts out very sweet and with a great aroma, turns more toward the latakia as you progress down the bowl, "good" all the way throughout. only concern was a little tough keeping lit. if you have liked the others in the frog series you will like this as well.

Philo Beddoe Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Philo Beddoe (140)

I like the smokey flavor of the Frog Morton line, especially the original. This blend has the whiskey topping that sort of masks the smoke for me. I enjoyed the tin, but wouldn't buy another. I would rather smoke the original FM whilst sipping some bourbon.

bws2158 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bws2158 (5)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

i was going home for thanksgiving so i was looking for a smoke with an exceptional "room note." i'm not a huge fan of aromatics, so this seemed like a good idea. that was the reason i chose this blend initially, but i will probably buy it again for more selfish reasons. it smokes incredibly smooth, and has a unique, pleasant taste that doesn't bite the tongue or cut the throat. i've only been into pipe smoking for a couple months, but this blend is truly unique, in a good way.

the chunk of whiskey barrel adds a nice touch. the whiskey is definitely there, but its not overwhelming. to paint a pictue of its user-friendliness, i shared a pipe with my brother-in-law, who used to smoke cigarettes but has never smoked a pipe. he was amazed by the taste of this blend and its smoothness. so, if you happen to be someone looking to get into pipe smoking, i'd recommend this blend as a good place to start.

turfprince Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
turfprince (4)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

This is a delicious blend. I "nearly" like Latakia but want it to be restrained. I tend to mix in some Kentucky Select to tone down the L. That being said, the tin aroma is very pleasant, as is the burning aroma and room note. The whiskey presence is subtle. This is not an L-bomb by any means, but it is satisfying. It is a very fine smoke, and all I can say is, "The Frog gives good Cellar!" Turfprince

P.S. I wish I had said this as nicely as robinbj; anyone who has a dream about their naked Grandma clearly has had an altogether mellow smoking experience. . . .

Pipedoctor Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipedoctor (9)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Incredible tobacco.. I'm usually an aromatic smoker, but this English/Aro hybrid is amazing. So amazing in fact, that it has become my favorite tobacco of all time. Right next to STM by Just for him.

xnihilo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
xnihilo (3)
Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

Been in and out of the pipe scene for years. Dusted off the briar and thought I'd get into something other than the typical drug store weed. Read reviews about the Frog Series and thought I'd give it a shot. Oh, Man! As a novice the best I can say is that the Frog Morton Cellar has me a daily smoker! Looking into new briars to start a rotation in my new hobby, too :) As a good side, The Wife enjoys the note as well. You simply can't go wrong with this. If there is any better, please let me know.

jstilly1 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
jstilly1 (3)

This blend has an immense complexity to it. Upon the first bowl, I tasted everything from brown sugar to beef jerky, and from chocolate to coffee. It is an unbelievably well balanced blend, it has no tongue bite, and it is incredibly smooth.

ctyankeepiper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
ctyankeepiper (13)
Mild Medium Medium Very Pleasant

All I can say is WOW! I'm a huge fan of the Frog Morton line, and this one is no exception. Top notch.

Wagon25 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wagon25 (14)
Mild Medium to Strong Medium Pleasant

I've reviewed many tobaccos and never given below three stars, but I have to make an exception this time--and I'm a big Frog Morton fan. Here are the problems:

Goop. This redefines a goopy tobacco. My entire bowl was wet with goop that I had to scrape out and eventually dry out.

The scent is nice when you open the tin, but it is overpowering for the first few days the tin is open, and then fades into irrelevance. After a few weeks of being open, this tobacco has almost no taste.

The cut of the tobacco is by far the worst I've ever seen. The ribbons are of such varying sizes and fineness that it's impossible to pack it properly. My pipe hisses and doesn't allow a good, clean pull. There are a ton of stems too.

I'm so frustrated with this blend I'm actually throwing out the rest of what I have left, which is about a third of a tin. Very disappointing.

pipewhisperer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pipewhisperer (6)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

I have to echo Big D's review down the line. The only 2 things I can add is (1) the faint hint of the bourbon taste that dallies on the tongue after a bowl. A pleasant reminder that gently fades...too cool. The second item is the room note: definitely not the typical Latakia insect repellent odour. Oh no. Almost like a fireplace in the cabin fragrance. Playing with the tweezers and magnified lamp revealed a generous amount of stoved VA in the blend - balances the Latakia component nicely. I generally prefer Virginias overall, but this Frog invites back-to-back bowls with non of the usual tongue fatigue. Another cellar dweller for me!

serif365 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
serif365 (19)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium Very Pleasant

My first tin of FMC arrived tonight via UPS and I could hardly wait to open the tin. The aroma was fantastic and once fired the taste was great. The Latakia is suttle and the whiskey flavor is definitely there. Moderate smoke and the leaf burned well straight out of the tin. This blend will certainly find itself in my regular rotation.

bteddy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
bteddy (20)

First off let me say this would be a 4 star rating except for the fact I am a heavy latakia lover and this excellent tobacco is just a tad bit too mild for my English, Oriental, Balkan taste. That being said, I am storing some of this after my first tin because it just begs to sit for a bit with that stave chunk in the can. This is definitely an all day smoke, very mild with a hint of latakia flavor, I do not know the latakia content but the taste seems to favor the sweetness of the whiskey yet not too overpowering to loose that Frog Morton taste - just lighter. If your thinking of moving away from full aromatics this would be a great place to start. Absolutely no bite even with my heavy touch. If you like an milder more flavored English, then this is it. A keeper for sure. After this tin I may up the stars, we'll see.

tvine Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
tvine (3)
Mild Medium to Strong Full Very Pleasant

The underlying flavor profile is that of the original 'Frog Morton'. That is where the similarity stops. The hunk-o-bourbon barrel in my 50g tin(and I think that tin size may be important here), perfumed the tobacco exquisitely. If you are a lover of bourbon, this is not to be missed. the tin aroma is like sniffing from a glass of well aged bourbon(pick your distiller), combined with, of course, the smokey latakia of the blend. The aroma and flavor remains completely through the bowl. I see the tin size as important due to the ratio of wood to tobacco. I think the infusion in the smaller tin is amazing, but could be less so in the 100g tin. That is, unless there are two pieces, or one larger one in the larger tin, I don't know. Lastly, is the weight of this piece of barrel subtracting from my tobacco? Either way, it's worth the price of admission. This will undoubtedly make for a wonderful aging experience. Top scores to McClelland for a unique experience!