The letters stand for "Over Seas Special". We created this blend for our many friends who were "over there" during WWII. The always popular flavor of three Burleys with a touch of Flake Virginia add up to a mild and cool smoke.

BrandFader's
Strength
Taste
2.0
morleysson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
morleysson (23)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Pleasant

There are almost no burleys to which I have been exposed which I didn't like. OSS is that one burley, unequivocally. Pleasnat pouch aroma, like BLWB. Packs well, with little spring. But, from the first bowl, the smoke was harsh. There was a mild, very mild flavor, seemingly like hot air. The taste reminds of the lesser grades of drugstore polybagged tobaccos. It burns well, a little wetter than I like While I have no problem with them, I would prefer PA as a standard go-to blend. This OSS is just too sweet and biting. I can hardly believe that this blend was a favorite of American troops overseas. OSS is uncharacteristic of the WWII and later periods. It has no, well, passion as a blend. There are far too many burleys available that provide a more satisfying smoke.