This sophisticated mixture in the English tradition combines the classic elements Virginia, Oriental and Latakia in a very finely tuned relationship and therefore show off all nuances of taste from soft and sweet to spicy and tart to best advantage. The rather long ribbon cut promotes a regular slow burn with gentle smoke. A unique treat!
[translated from German]

BrandDan Tobacco
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Packaging100g tin
Strength
Taste
Strong
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I had tried a bowlful of this blend at friends' about a year ago; not enough to form a definite opinion, but certainly enough to make me put this on my list of blends to test. Which I now did.

The tin contains a foil pouch folded into it; in my case, it was not even sealed, just folded shut. I understand that the export tins are sealed. The leaf from the new tin is ready to stuff; a mixed ribbon cut with lots of dark leaf in there, but also a good amount of bright VA and Orient. The tin note reveals a topping that is a bit weird, but acceptable.

Stuffing and lighting is easy enough; from the beginning, there is certainly enough Latakia in there, but also the wonderful sweetness from the VAs and the spice and flowery notes from the Orientals -- my guess would be Turkish. Good mouth-feel, easy burn, nothing but grey ashes left, practically no dottle.

This is the quality of pipe blend that I am accustomed to from Dunhill, and this comes at a much better price. I shall stick with it. The Raven is not a full-tilt after-dinner blend, but I do tend to smoke it in the evening; it has those qualities going with the idea of a relaxing evening. I tend to have a good ale or Export along with it.