This sophisticated mixture in the English tradition combines the classic elements Virginia, Oriental and Latakia in a very finely tuned relationship and therefore show off all nuances of taste from soft and sweet to spicy and tart to best advantage. The rather long ribbon cut promotes a regular slow burn with gentle smoke. A unique treat!
[translated from German]

BrandDan Tobacco
ContentsOriental/Turkish, Virginia, Latakia
Packaging100g tin
Strength
None Detected, Mild
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Tolerable, Strong
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Sort of a lighter version of Timm London 1000, with less Latakia and a more dominant sweetish (coconut?) topping. Not bad, simply quite dull. Not a patch to a true English mixture, although there are several worse blends out there.

Enough complexity, juicy sweet and toasted Virginia background, but not enough distinctiveness and the Latakia does not shine very much. As I said above, the sweet tin note is reminiscent of coconut, a note which I have found in only two other tobaccos so far: Rattray's Highland Targe, and Ashton's Celebrated Sovereign (European version).

Smokable, but unexciting.

Pipe Used: several Dunhills

Age When Smoked: less than 6 months

Purchased From: Dan Pipes

Similar Blends: Rattray Highland Targe, Timm London Blend 1000.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I had tried a bowlful of this blend at friends' about a year ago; not enough to form a definite opinion, but certainly enough to make me put this on my list of blends to test. Which I now did.

The tin contains a foil pouch folded into it; in my case, it was not even sealed, just folded shut. I understand that the export tins are sealed. The leaf from the new tin is ready to stuff; a mixed ribbon cut with lots of dark leaf in there, but also a good amount of bright VA and Orient. The tin note reveals a topping that is a bit weird, but acceptable.

Stuffing and lighting is easy enough; from the beginning, there is certainly enough Latakia in there, but also the wonderful sweetness from the VAs and the spice and flowery notes from the Orientals -- my guess would be Turkish. Good mouth-feel, easy burn, nothing but grey ashes left, practically no dottle.

This is the quality of pipe blend that I am accustomed to from Dunhill, and this comes at a much better price. I shall stick with it. The Raven is not a full-tilt after-dinner blend, but I do tend to smoke it in the evening; it has those qualities going with the idea of a relaxing evening. I tend to have a good ale or Export along with it.