This sophisticated mixture in the English tradition combines the classic elements Virginia, Oriental and Latakia in a very finely tuned relationship and therefore show off all nuances of taste from soft and sweet to spicy and tart to best advantage. The rather long ribbon cut promotes a regular slow burn with gentle smoke. A unique treat! [translated from German]

BrandDan Tobacco
Packaging100g tin
Strength
None Detected, Extremely Mild, Mild, Strong
Taste
Mild to Medium Mild Medium Tolerable

Sort of a lighter version of Timm London 1000, with less Latakia and a more dominant sweetish (coconut?) topping. Not bad, simply quite dull. Not a patch to a true English mixture, although there are several worse blends out there.

Enough complexity, juicy sweet and toasted Virginia background, but not enough distinctiveness and the Latakia does not shine very much. As I said above, the sweet tin note is reminiscent of coconut, a note which I have found in only two other tobaccos so far: Rattray's Highland Targe, and Ashton's Celebrated Sovereign (European version).

Smokable, but unexciting.

Pipe Used: several Dunhills

Age When Smoked: less than 6 months

Purchased From: Dan Pipes

Similar Blends: Rattray Highland Targe, Timm London Blend 1000.

Epicur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Epicur (13)
Mild Strong Mild Tolerable

This tobacco was inspired by "THE RAVEN" by A. E. Poe. The tin design is very beautiful and appealing.

The tobacco itself is a Virginia, Oriental, Latakia mixture with a lot of flavouring (honey, plum, apple, cumarin / tonka bean substitute and liquorish), and the main tobaccos are cased -- the virginias with the typical Dan Tobacco virginia casing, the others with their danish casing.

While smoking, I notice that there is flavourig added but I can't say, what flavour it is -- to be honest, I find it a bit annoying, and I don't think it adds something to the blend.

The smoke is somewhat boring for me. Used to the mostly excellent English Dunhills (esp. 965 and Standard Mixture), I can't get much satisfaction out of it. It's not a rebuy for me.

I wouln't even call this an English, but a Danish with a try of an English twist.

In comparison, I think th closest similar blend is (kind of) Mac Baren's The Solent mixture (almost the same price as The Raven), which is much more rounded and more concise (and with a much better roomnote, esp. for non smokers). But that is also not my favourite. If I had to, I'd prefer the Plumcake by Mac Baren, if I'd wish to smole a Danish-English twisted blend. But having all the wonderful Dunhills, I don't have to either -- I don't have a problem with paying good money for the good stuff.

Would I recommend it? Why not, it is worth a try and it has it's fanbase. And what can I tell about the likings of others?! It's just not for me.

Pipe Used: Different Briars

Age When Smoked: one moth old

Purchased From: DTM / Dan Pipe

Similar Blends: Mac Baren The Solent Mixture (kind of) & Bill Bailey's Best Blend.

Medium None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I had tried a bowlful of this blend at friends' about a year ago; not enough to form a definite opinion, but certainly enough to make me put this on my list of blends to test. Which I now did.

The tin contains a foil pouch folded into it; in my case, it was not even sealed, just folded shut. I understand that the export tins are sealed. The leaf from the new tin is ready to stuff; a mixed ribbon cut with lots of dark leaf in there, but also a good amount of bright VA and Orient. The tin note reveals a topping that is a bit weird, but acceptable.

Stuffing and lighting is easy enough; from the beginning, there is certainly enough Latakia in there, but also the wonderful sweetness from the VAs and the spice and flowery notes from the Orientals -- my guess would be Turkish. Good mouth-feel, easy burn, nothing but grey ashes left, practically no dottle.

This is the quality of pipe blend that I am accustomed to from Dunhill, and this comes at a much better price. I shall stick with it. The Raven is not a full-tilt after-dinner blend, but I do tend to smoke it in the evening; it has those qualities going with the idea of a relaxing evening. I tend to have a good ale or Export along with it.

Purchased From: DanPipe

Similar Blends: Ashton - Artisan's Blend.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (97)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Very well blended tobacco imho!

The Virginas, Orientals and Latakia are "melted" and deliver a nice mellow, smoky-sweet smoke. This one is in total balance! Sweet, (in a pleasant way) a bit sour-ish along together with a decent smoky- woody-note from the Latakia.

I'd say there IS a flavouring to this one. Maybe a slight fruit (and sugar-water) casing? Because there is definetly a sweet-fruity note in it, that mellows the tobacco to a delightful all-day-smoke. Usually I only smoke Latakia in small portions - but this one is so smooth, I could smoke it all day, every day, because it has got such a decent, not intrusive Latakia taste to it.

All in all a sweet, smoky and fruity tasting blend, that is a masterpiece to me. Worth trying - you won't regret it.

3/4 Stars, as I really enjoy this tobacco! It is not the most special and complex blend - but it is what it is: A solid, tasty and easy enjoyable (all-day) smoke.

Pipe Used: Dr. Grabow rusticated (Billiard)

Purchased From: Dan Pipe (DTM)