Tobacco selection: Air-cured Burleys from Mexico and flue-cured Virginias from Brazil and USA. Sweet fruit taste perfectly balanced with brandy. A fine smoking blend on its own. Loose cut mixed with cut plug.

Manufactured ByVilliger
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
FlavoringBlackberry, Brandy, Fruit / Citrus
AE1PT Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
AE1PT (8)
Mild to Medium Medium Mild to Medium Strong

This tobacco arrived as a sample from SPC--the other offering was a Tom Eltang that I had already tried. It has been quite some time since I smoked any aromatics--but my journey into pipe smoking many decades ago began with them.

The bag aroma is quite nice and not terribly overwhelming--but it is very full and obvious. As with many aro blends it was moist, but not sticky. The blend loaded quite well in a MM, and did not compact too tightly limiting the draw. A prelight started the bowl well, and there was no rise that required a lot of tamping.

For me, the taste of the Virginia came through immediately. Typical notes of hay and the sweetness of that tobacco--quite distinct from the sweetness of the blackberry and brandy. At first, the taste of the blackberry was a bit subdued--but began to take on greater character moving into the first quarter of the bowl.

At this point, the richer burley takes a center stage from the VA, as does the level of nicotine! It has a bit of a "tang" that is not quite a bite--but the mouth feel that is associated with a good burley. The smoke itself is a nice body--but not heavy or thickly creamy. This is quite satisfying for those of us who chase the tobacco tang of English/Balkan blends.

Halfway into the bowl and moving down, the blackberry fills in the balance from the earlier VA and burley steps--melding with each and making for a quite satisfying smoke. The nicotine remains moderately full, and the aroma of the blackberry and brandy FILLS the room--but not unpleasantly or cloyingly so.

The finish strengthens toward the bottom with some loss of the initial distinctions--a bit monochrome if you will--and the moisture levels damp but not too problematic to cause gurgling. I left a bit unsmoked--as is my custom even amongst my regular English/Balkan rotation. I had hints that the very last of it was not going to be particularly pleasant. On the second bowl later, I smoked it in stages--returning several times to relight and enjoy. There was no significant degradation of the blend--nor any harshness from resting.

All in all, I found this blend quite enjoyable--and will add a few ounces on a regular basis to my cellar. A thing to note though. Pick a pipe you smoke similar aro's in or dedicate a briar or cob. Once you pass a couple bowls through--it is going to move in and stay...

Pipe Used: MM Washington

Age When Smoked: New Sample

Purchased From: SPC

Pipe Newb Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipe Newb (49)
Medium Medium Medium Very Pleasant

I am a big fan of some aros, but usually not anything with fruit as they've typically been fairly acrid, acidic on the tongue, and generally disagreeable in my past.

However, this blend was gifted to me to sample, and I am very glad it was.

Pouch note is smoky, with a strong presence of natural overripe blackberry.

The initial char and first few draws were very smooth and balanced, a faint smokiness, slightly stronger bready/yeasty characteristics, with strong blackberry and currant. Snorking and French Inhale left a strong taste and aroma of, well, blackberries! While the flavor was spot on, there was no syrupy or sickly sweet character to the smoke... think more of a very dry blackberry wine.

Nicotine content was a bit of a surprise, I'm guessing burley is a predominant tobacco in this blend. I went to the races a little on this one. It's sneaky because as soon as the flavor starts to get really good, so does the buzz.

All-in-all, a very enjoyable tobacco. I can see this being a great post-lunch smoke, a bright, warm, and gentle aromatic that would pair well with iced tea. Think of a well balanced tobacco, then add just enough blackberry topping to make it agreeable indoors. As far as a con, I would say the topping can overpower the tobacco somewhat, nothing is really "bold" here.

Pipe Used: MM Legend

Age When Smoked: Unknown

Purchased From: Unknown (gifted)

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)
Very Mild Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

I partake in few Aromatics, but I love the thought of a delicious berry and other fruit flavored tobaccos, so I try them when I see something I like, I didn't think the tobacco was overly wet, but the darkness of this blend and the wonderful aroma in the bulk jar at the B&M just forced me to buy some, and I'm glad I did, I don't ever dry any of my tobacco, so I stuff and puff, sure it takes a couple few relights but then again most do, and I'm not in a big hurry anyways, the flavor of the blackberries does come through, it's no where near over powering, the tobacco is definitely a mild flavor, but then just enough of the blackberry is left behind

Pipe Used: Nording Rshodesian

Age When Smoked: unknown

Purchased From: Alegheny Smoke Works

clanobucklin Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
clanobucklin (90)

I like this blend a lot - for one it has a nice Vitamin N punch and secondly it is very complex for an aromatic tobacco. You can tell by the tobaccos used that is a well crafted tobacco blend. Fans of Aros, Hobbit Weed, Complex mixtures might want to give it a try.

Pipe Used: Emperor Billiard

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

natibo Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
natibo (105)
Very Mild Medium Extremely Mild (Flat) Pleasant

I found this to be rather flavorless. The tin smell is decent enough. However, I just could not taste it. It had very little flavor at all, even tobacco flavor.

Tony M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tony M (6)
Mild to Medium Strong Medium Very Pleasant

When I first read about Mr. Swearingen of enjoying a pre-release sample, I was very much intrigued by the sound of this blend. I was eager to pick up an ounce when it came out.

I don't often smoke aromatics, but the Blackberry Brandy sounded much too interesting not to try. The aroma is incredibly strong and the tobacco is very moist. It's the closest to hookah shisha I've ever seen in pipe tobacco. This blend could probably stand to have a good bit of air drying time, but I was too impatient to do so. There was a lot of relighting those couple bowls. That said, it was a good smoke. The flavor was incredibly present, and yet it didn't strike me as overwhelming (something that, say, Stanwell Melange did). I didn't really experience the room note, but I think it would be quite agreeable.

In the end, this isn't a tobacco for me to keep around, but I think it's good aromatic. If that's more your cup of tea, definitely give it a try.