Whole Virginia leaves used as the wrapper and filler are combined with a center of dark-fired Kentucky, and are then rolled into ropes and cut into coins. The coins are slightly aromatic and medium to full in strength.

BrandNewminster
Manufactured ByVilliger
Blend TypeVirginia/Burley
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
CutCurly Cut
CountryUnknown
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Pleasant to Tolerable, Tolerable

This has been a very enjoyable smoke. The coins are sliced very thin, and they were easy to rub out. I got a medium strength Virginia flavor, with a pleasant spiciness from the Kentucky. This is a serious value, and on that basis alone it should probably get bumped to a 4. I found this very tasty and not a tobacco with a lot of complexity. You get the slightly sweet and mellow with just enough spice to notice but not overpower. I did not experience bitter as another reviewer did.

Edit: 12/1/14 I am checking reviews and updating. When I finished the 4 oz sample, I ordered a pound of this. I find this a very satisfying smoke, and have discovered I can rub out a couple of coins to mix with a "thin" Balkan/English to provide some body and kick it up a notch.

I have experimented with different ways to prepare this when smoked by itself, and I think I get the best smoke with the coins stacked, rolled up and wadded into the right size for the bowl. This gives a slightly denser pack and a remarkably good smoke.

This is a great blend to have in inventory. Solid 3.5 on the scale.

Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I love when someone sends me something and I just end up loving it. Such is the case with Newminster Superior Round Sliced. I had sent a forum friend some Motzek Strang. Upon trying it, he commented that he thought it to be identical to Newminster. He is a relative new piper and sent me some so I could make my own comparison.

My first thoughts were that the coins were quite similar in appearance. I smoked a bowl of the Newminster and found it to be a little heavier on the burley or dark fired side. Giving more of the nutty sweetness that one would expect from that leaf. The blend is quite sweet and I am not sure if that is the interplay of the Virginia and the burley or if there is a bit of topping put into the center. The Strang also has that sweetness, but a bit more reserved and is accentuated by a good amount of spice from the perique. Where I could taste the spice in both I found it to be bolder in the Strang.

Overall, I am really splitting hairs as these differences were not that stark. Overall, I would say he was not wrong in that the two are very similar and are both very good. I would still give my preference to the German Motzek Strang, but could easily use this to scratch that itch.

I gave four stars to Strang and will do the same with this one. It is great, it is available and relatively inexpensive, particularly when compared to Strang.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I'd almost swear this is a MacBaren blend. There's a familiar note of honey that plays well with the citrusy, grassy Virginia. The dark fired Kentucky is spicy and a little woodsy with a bare hint of nutmeg. Reminds me very much of Dark Twist without the earthy notes. The coins are just loose enough to stack and smoke without many relights, which I prefer to unraveling. It seemed to have just a little less spice at the finish, but that could just be my getting used to it. Not a complex product, and if you're sensitive to spicy bends, you risk getting a little tongue bite if you puff too fast. Puffed at a moderate pace, you'll be rewarded with an easy smoking experience and probably have no dottle at the finish. I expect this will age well, too.

oldorder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldorder (22)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Smoking some now as I write. It has good flavor. Reminds me of fishing for trout under rocky outcroppings. How the mind works. Could be an all-dayer. Has more flavor than the cigaretty blends, and more strength than most. Well-rounded. And the wife likes the room note. I'm always looking for a non-aro, some nic kick, and good room note for the wifey, If it smells like a cigarette it's a thumbs down from her. And the aromatics scorch my mouth. Round Slices fit the bill pretty well.

Pipe Used: Old briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch, moisture level good.

Similar Blends: Reminds me a little of Dark Birdseye. A little weaker and not as much kick. But definetly more of an all day smoke..

dualkarnain Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
dualkarnain (75)

While I enjoy the Kentucky spice and strength, this is too monochromatic for me. Tongue-bite comes on fairly quickly and there are faint undertones of sweetness. It doesn't change much unless you count the exacerbating swampiness.

Images evoked include the skeleton of a slow loris on the lakeshore, his empty optic sockets staring blankly into the soul of an half-discarded, eyeless fishing-worm.

Pipe Used: Straight Briar

These Virginias have teeth and they use them. It not only bites my tongue, but it stings my lips. It does calm down some in the second half of the bowl allowing a small amount of enjoyment. It's a shame because the flavors are pretty nice. The toothy Virginias are the star and the Kentucky adds a mild smokiness and depth. Not complicated, but would be a nice smoke if the Virginias could be tamed. If you're one of those people who never gets bit you may really enjoy this.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Each slice looks like a Hubbel photograph of a tobacco nougat galaxy with tan and cream stars carried along by swirls of chocolate brown and black earth. The aroma is light, spicy and brisk; it's in your face without being obnoxious but also without any apologies for itself. Dried for 20 minutes and rubbed out into broken slices and shreds. It's a bit deceptive when packed -- you think there's more tobacco down in there than actually is down there. It will also expand when lit, so if you pack it to the very top of your pipe's chamber you should stand by for strands of the tobacco to stand up from your piple like tiny blacksnakes lit on the sidewalk during the Fourth of July.

The taste and aroma are vegetal and lightly astringent. Flavors are primarily pine and hay, with slight hints of black pepper and juniper. Maybe some dark-toasted, yeasty bread toward the end of the bowl, but that's as much umami as you'll get. It's a refreshing smoke, sort of a palate-cleaner with enough flavor to let you know you're smoking tobacco but not enough to overwhelm or indulge your senses. It's pretty strong stuff, too, probably due to the Kentucky. I enjoyed it.

Pipe Used: MM Washington

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I enjoyed the Citrusy flavor of the virginias, and the slighty smokey taste of the fired cured Kentucky, but it gives me a bit of tongue bite

Pipe Used: Butz-Choiquin D'accord apple

Age When Smoked: unkown

Purchased From: Alegheny Smoke Works

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I can see how these rounds could appeal to those who like basically unflavored straightforward uncomplicated blends. I often like them as well. The rounds pack easily and burn well. For me, however, the blend is slightly bitey, the taste doesn't appeal, and the room note is terrible. For those who like Kentucky/Va's, give them a try, they might appeal to you.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (57)

Good natural quality tobacco flavor,no bite,good strength and dirt cheap. No real complexity here but just a good,reliable everyday kind of smoke. It almost warrants a fourth star when taking the ridiculously low price into consideration plus the coins are fun to play with. Enjoy!

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Grassy but pleasant, uncomplex. A bit harsh if smoked too fast. Mine was a bit too dry.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (80)

...very nice rolled coins, perfect moisture in the 1 pound bag I purchased, with a pleasant aroma from the bag.

Another solid preformer from Newminster...not overly complex, yet it has character, quality tobaccos, and could serve as an all-day smoke for many.

For the time being I rate this a 3 star recommendation and will continue my assessment...

...a pipe is to be savored...

Loboatomy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Loboatomy (38)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium Very Pleasant

So, this tobacco represents a change in my pipesmoking paradigm. Let me explain: As with many here, I've been avidly enjoying my pipes and although Ive found many tobaccos that I truly enjoy (as well as those that I dont), I'm still exploring...still throwing a "few more" ounces of this or that onto my online orders just to try different stuff out (some thing like almost 2 dozen C and D blends so far, all of the available gawith ropes and bizarre geranium lakelands flakes etc, etc.)- I probably have a hundred blends in jars and baggies in jars in my cellar at this time along with my "bulk stash" of codger burleys and jarred long term bulk blends.

But I've always been somewhat conservative- even to the point of going out to my car and searching this site prior to buying a tin of something at my local B & M. I feel that I've made responsible choices regarding experimenting- for example- although I appreciate Latakia in certain blends, I'm not a huge fan- being more of a VaBur/ VaPer/ VaTurk kinda guy- so my large scale purchasing has been in accordance with my known tastes.

Recently (in the past few months) I've been ordering larger quantities of the things that I like and can expect to age well (PS Luxury Bullseye flake, PS Cube Cut, PS Navy Flake, C and D Orions Arrow/OJK, G and H Happy Bogie and Sweet Rum twist etc) as well as be somewhat affordable. Also have ordered some multipouch packs of some of the aromatics I enjoy like Skan full aroma, Sail and Troost.But of the bulks, its pound quantities, mind you, for incorporation into my cellar pending what I believe to be an imminent tax increase/governmental demonization of all tobacco products...but I digress. I just can't believe that I'm buying pounds of pipe tobacco at this point to stash away. It sorta blows my mind.

I had never really heard of the "Newminster" brand before, but clicked onto an item description on a website and was confronted with an image of the most gorgeous coin cut tobacco i'd seen in a long time- reminiscent of MacBarens Club Blend or Dark Flake in appearance- just with a few more birdseyes.

So I researched it- and found out that it was actually made by MacBarens (which I like), somewhat similar to Stockton and Norwood (which I've liked) and club Blend and Dark Twist and roll cake (which I like)

So...on the strength of the reviews here and elsewhere on the web I threw all caution to the wind and ordered a pound...for $26.

I've never done this before. Never ordered more than an ounce of an untried tobacco. Never took the plunge like this. Granted, I didn't buy a $150 tin of some decade old GL pease masterpiece off of ebay, but a pound of tobacco is alot of tobacco if it turns out you dont like it...

Yes, $26. cheap. Here where I am it's tough to find a 100g tin of Club Blend for less that $19.00.

Let me tell you, after a few days and a half dozen bowls, I am relieved and excited. This stuff is fantastic. Smokey, cool smoking (my package seemed slightly dry- perfect actually). I don't know why it's described as "mildly aromatic", because it's not. Its basically dark fired Kentucky with about an equal proportion of bright virginia. Some mildly piney, bitter marmalade and vegetal overtones. a hint of lemony sweetness from the virginia counterbalanced perfectly by the almost pumpernickleish kentucky. As someone else described, this blend almost tricks you into thinking there is some perique in there. Something figgy and almost fermented about the kentucky that does it. Tart apple jelly on slightly overdone rye toast washed down with strong black coffee might be a good way to describe it

Tendertongues, don't believe what you read- puffed low and slow (properly, that is), there is NO tongue bite (smoked out of a kaywoodie bent pot with a stinger and a few legend MM cobs)

I think this is fantastic stuff, and at the pricepoint, it's absolutely wonderful. Is it as refined as one of the other macbaren offerings? No, but it's different too. Reminds me taste-wise of the Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky that you can't seem to find any more, with a sweet virginia added.

I can certainly say that a few more POUNDS of this will be purchased in the next few weeks. I'll see if my old man is as into it as I am and possibly put together a huge order...may possible "splurge" and pick up a pound of their navy flake as it gets some decent reviews as well.

I'm going to play around a little bit with this one too- I think that adding a bit of Mclelland 5100 redcake virginia to this (maybe 10-15%) may do wonderful things for this blend.

I suspect that this one will age and mature well.

Highly recommended.

Pipe Used: Kaywoodie Bent Pot, MM cobs

Similar Blends: Orlick Dark Strong Kentucky, Macbarens Roll Cake, Macbarens Latakia Blend.

Houndstooth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Houndstooth (21)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I bought a pound bag of this about as soon as it hit the market. The price WAS great, and from the start I thought that if it wasn't stunning by itself, it would mix in well with my own blend of Vaper/Cavendish. It was a bit strong and not dimensional enough alone, but boy, did it ever spice up my blend! I was through nearly half of it when I realized it wasn't what I thought it was- a vaper. No perique! I could swear that when I bought it- perique and black cavendish were listed as ingredients, along with VA., of course. But nope, it's this Dark Fired Kentucky instead of the perique & Cavendish... I'm convinced I didn't buy that listing of ingredients when I purchased my bag. The marketers must have initially sent out an incorrect listing. Ultimately though, it didn't matter that much to me, as mixed in 50-50 with my blend I'd hit pay dirt. But here's my problem- the stuff has gone up in price about 1/3 as much as it was originally. As I was saying, it was a great deal, but that price raise just blew it for me. I can't reconcile the new spendiness. It's just not worth the price when I might just as easily find something else that works as a component, because I don't often smoke it on its own.

Pipe Used: Petersons, and many others

Age When Smoked: first batch issued

Similar Blends: PS Luxury Bullseye, it's said..

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (63)

This is a pretty GOOD bulk blend! It’s very easy to smoke and very easy to enjoy!! I believe that Superior Round Slices (SRS) is going to hold the most appeal for the dedicated VAPER audience. Dark-fired Kentucky replaces the Perique found in a VAPER, but I think that there’s NOT a HUGE difference in the "WAY" that this smokes overall in comparison to a VAPER. SRS is just not as dark, deep, earthy and fruity as many VAPERs in my experience--it's really a very pleasant variation on the VAPER theme!

This is claimed to be a “mild” aromatic, but for me the aromatic qualities are pretty much lost in the blend. There is perhaps a hint something extra in the aroma of the smoke, but there is nothing that intrudes on the taste of the tobaccos.

Don’t be distracted with the fact that this comes in a plastic baggy with a sticker instead of a tin with a label. This is worthwhile blend and a reasonable value. This one earns 3-stars!!!

NOTE: I did discover some harshness and heat in this blend that I believe is due to the rather "raw" nature of the Virginia element.

Pipe Used: Winslow Rusticated Danish Billiard

Burn = 8;

After Taste = 8;

Raw Score = 47;

Rated Percentage = 78%;

Comment = This has a Strong Flavor, is Not Mild, and is Bitter from start to Finish

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (48)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This one rates 4+ stars. On value alone.

My investigations reveal that Superior Round Slices is a genuine Mac Baren spun cut tobacco. At a fraction of the price. It smells good, like Club Blend. The strength is somewhere between Dark Twist and Stockton.

Mrs Plod likes the aroma. I like the dark bits.

I am slow. I am steady. I always get my tobacco.

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Stockton.