Whole Virginia leaves used as the wrapper and filler are combined with a center of dark-fired Kentucky, and are then rolled into ropes and cut into coins. The coins are slightly aromatic and medium to full in strength.

BrandNewminster
Manufactured ByVilliger
ContentsKentucky, Virginia
CutCurly Cut
CountryUnknown
Strength
Taste
2.7

This has been a very enjoyable smoke. The coins are sliced very thin, and they were easy to rub out. I got a medium strength Virginia flavor, with a pleasant spiciness from the Kentucky. This is a serious value, and on that basis alone it should probably get bumped to a 4. I found this very tasty and not a tobacco with a lot of complexity. You get the slightly sweet and mellow with just enough spice to notice but not overpower. I did not experience bitter as another reviewer did.

Medium to Strong Very Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I'd almost swear this is a MacBaren blend. There's a familiar note of honey that plays well with the citrusy, grassy Virginia. The dark fired Kentucky is spicy and a little woodsy with a bare hint of nutmeg. Reminds me very much of Dark Twist without the earthy notes. The coins are just loose enough to stack and smoke without many relights, which I prefer to unraveling. It seemed to have just a little less spice at the finish, but that could just be my getting used to it. Not a complex product, and if you're sensitive to spicy bends, I can see getting a little tongue bite. Puffed at a moderate pace, you'll be rewarded with an easy smoking experience and probably have no dottle at the finish. I expect this will age well, too.

oldorder Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
oldorder (14)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Smoking some now as I write. It has good flavor. Reminds me of fishing for trout under rocky outcroppings. How the mind works. Could be an all-dayer. Has more flavor than the cigaretty blends, and more strength than most. Well-rounded. And the wife likes the room note. I'm always looking for a non-aro, some nic kick, and good room note for the wifey, If it smells like a cigarette it's a thumbs down from her. And the aromatics scorch my mouth. Round Slices fit the bill pretty well.

Pipe Used: Old briars

Age When Smoked: Fresh from the pouch, moisture level good.

Similar Blends: Reminds me a little of Dark Birdseye. A little weaker and not as much kick. But definetly more of an all day smoke..

These Virginias have teeth and they use them. It not only bites my tongue, but it stings my lips. It does calm down some in the second half of the bowl allowing a small amount of enjoyment. It's a shame because the flavors are pretty nice. The toothy Virginias are the star and the Kentucky adds a mild smokiness and depth. Not complicated, but would be a nice smoke if the Virginias could be tamed. If you're one of those people who never gets bit you may really enjoy this.

Pipe Used: MM General, MM Country Gentleman, MM Freehand

Age When Smoked: fresh bulk

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)
Medium to Strong None Detected Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Each slice looks like a Hubbel photograph of a tobacco nougat galaxy with tan and cream stars carried along by swirls of chocolate brown and black earth. The aroma is light, spicy and brisk; it's in your face without being obnoxious but also without any apologies for itself. Dried for 20 minutes and rubbed out into broken slices and shreds. It's a bit deceptive when packed -- you think there's more tobacco down in there than actually is down there. It will also expand when lit, so if you pack it to the very top of your pipe's chamber you should stand by for strands of the tobacco to stand up from your piple like tiny blacksnakes lit on the sidewalk during the Fourth of July.

The taste and aroma are vegetal and lightly astringent. Flavors are primarily pine and hay, with slight hints of black pepper and juniper. Maybe some dark-toasted, yeasty bread toward the end of the bowl, but that's as much umami as you'll get. It's a refreshing smoke, sort of a palate-cleaner with enough flavor to let you know you're smoking tobacco but not enough to overwhelm or indulge your senses. It's pretty strong stuff, too, probably due to the Kentucky. I enjoyed it.

Pipe Used: MM Washington

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Tolerable

I enjoyed the Citrusy flavor of the virginias, and the slighty smokey taste of the fired cured Kentucky, but it gives me a bit of tongue bite

Pipe Used: Butz-Choiquin D'accord apple

Age When Smoked: unkown

Purchased From: Alegheny Smoke Works

Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Strong

I can see how these rounds could appeal to those who like basically unflavored straightforward uncomplicated blends. I often like them as well. The rounds pack easily and burn well. For me, however, the blend is slightly bitey, the taste doesn't appeal, and the room note is terrible. For those who like Kentucky/Va's, give them a try, they might appeal to you.

Sailorjack Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Sailorjack (56)

Good natural quality tobacco flavor,no bite,good strength and dirt cheap. No real complexity here but just a good,reliable everyday kind of smoke. It almost warrants a fourth star when taking the ridiculously low price into consideration plus the coins are fun to play with. Enjoy!

Houndstooth Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Houndstooth (15)
Very Strong None Detected Full Tolerable

I bought a pound bag of this about as soon as it hit the market. The price WAS great, and from the start I thought that if it wasn't stunning by itself, it would mix in well with my own blend of Vaper/Cavendish. It was a bit strong and not dimensional enough alone, but boy, did it ever spice up my blend! I was through nearly half of it when I realized it wasn't what I thought it was- a vaper. No perique! I could swear that when I bought it- perique and black cavendish were listed as ingredients, along with VA., of course. But nope, it's this Dark Fired Kentucky instead of the perique & Cavendish... I'm convinced I didn't buy that listing of ingredients when I purchased my bag. The marketers must have initially sent out an incorrect listing. Ultimately though, it didn't matter that much to me, as mixed in 50-50 with my blend I'd hit pay dirt. But here's my problem- the stuff has gone up in price about 1/3 as much as it was originally. As I was saying, it was a great deal, but that price raise just blew it for me. I can't reconcile the new spendiness. It's just not worth the price when I might just as easily find something else that works as a component, because I don't often smoke it on its own.

Pipe Used: Petersons, and many others

Age When Smoked: first batch issued

Similar Blends: PS Luxury Bullseye, it's said..

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)

This is a pretty GOOD blend! It’s very easy to smoke and very easy to enjoy!! I believe that Superior Round Slices (SRS) is going to hold the most appeal for the dedicated VAPER audience. Dark-fired Kentucky replaces the Perique found in a VAPER, but I think that there’s NOT a HUGE difference in the way that this smokes overall in comparison to a VAPER. SRS is just not as dark, deep, earthy and fruity as many VAPERs in my experience--it's really a very pleasant variation on the VAPER theme!

This is claimed to be a “mild” aromatic, but for me the aromatic qualities are pretty much lost in the blend. There is perhaps a hint something extra in the aroma of the smoke, but there is nothing that intrudes on the taste of the tobaccos.

Don’t be distracted with the fact that this comes in a plastic baggy with a sticker instead of a tin with a label. This is worthwhile blend and a reasonable value. This one earns 3-stars!!!

NOTE: I did discover some harshness and heat in this blend that I believe is due to the rather "raw" nature of the Virginia element.

Pipe Used: Winslow Rusticated Danish Billiard

Burn = 8;

After Taste = 8;

Raw Score = 47;

Rated Percentage = 78%;

Comment = This has a Strong Flavor, is Not Mild, and is Bitter from start to Finish

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (34)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

This one rates 4+ stars. On value alone.

My investigations reveal that Superior Round Slices is a genuine Mac Baren spun cut tobacco. At a fraction of the price. It smells good, like Club Blend. The strength is somewhere between Dark Twist and Stockton.

Mrs Plod likes the aroma. I like the dark bits.

I am slow. I am steady. I always get my tobacco.

Similar Blends: Mac Baren - Stockton.

Blue Bayou Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Blue Bayou (59)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Grassy but pleasant, uncomplex. A bit harsh if smoked too fast. Mine was a bit too dry.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (77)

...very nice rolled coins, perfect moisture in the 1 pound bag I purchased, with a pleasant aroma from the bag.

Another solid preformer from Newminster...not overly complex, yet it has character, quality tobaccos, and could serve as an all-day smoke for many.

For the time being I rate this a 3 star recommendation and will continue my assessment...

...a pipe is to be savored...