Tobacco selection: The finest Virginias from USA, Brazil and Africa.

Tobacco cut: Traditional flake slice cut.

Tobacco Flavor/Aroma: Non-aromatic, with a range from mild to medium strength.

Recommendations: Most enjoyable on its own. Select 2 to 3 flakes – rub gently in your hand prior and fill the pipe lightly.

BrandNewminster
Manufactured ByVilliger
CountryUnknown
Strength
Taste

3.1
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Very Pleasant

The Virginia is mildly citrusy, lightly grassy and earthy with a drop of caramel, some butter and honey notes, and is just a little sugary. The flakes easily break apart for a smooth, moderate burn rate. The taste may be fairly one dimensional, but it's an all day sweet smoke that wears well while you go about your business. Sports little nicotine, and it's the sweetness that raises it a little beyond the mild threshold in terms of strength and taste. The flavor is consistent to the finish, requiring just a few relights, and leaves virtually no moisture in the bowl. Has a very pleasant room note and after taste. Normally, one dimensional products get two or two and a half stars from me, but I give this three because it's a welcome presence for the smoker that is looking for this particular kind of tobacco to smoke, especially at this price point. Makes a nice companion for tea or coffee, too.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (85)

...I've read some reviews of this tobacco and I don't agree that this is "cut-rate" or is "less a Virginia Flake than others"...Frankly, it stands on its own, has a very reasonable character, and smokes well.

I don't see it as a replacement for any current tobacco either...

It is simply a nice mild/medium Virginia Flake...

I ordered a pound of this several weeks ago have have augmented my usual strong matured Virginia plugs/Flakes with this and find this continues to be an appealing, quality leaf tobacco.

Not what I would consider in my all time top 15 tobaccos but one I will keep in rotation, without hesitation.

A fine all day smoke and does well in a group 3-4 size pipe. Worth a good try for those who like a fairly straight forward mild Virginia Flake.

...a pipe is to be savored...

This is possibly the best straight Virginia I have ever smoked. It has an herbal grassy aroma in the bag and smells very earthy and natural while being smoked. Very mild without being bland. It's hard to believe this is sold so inexpensively in bulk online. Under $2 per ounce is incredible! It smokes and tastes as good if not better than some of the other straight Virginias I paid 4 times the price for! I have jarred up a pound or so to see how it ages (if it lasts that long!)

Pipe Used: mm cob

Purchased From: P&C online

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (58)

A high quality, understated brown Virginia flake.

I was a bit challenged by this one at first. The pouch note was mouth watering: toasty, buttery, with a hint of brown sugar. But that lusciousness didn't carry through to the smoke, which seemed mild to the point of vanishing.

Fortunately time and experience cured that. This marvelous flake is indeed subtle, but blossoms into an intensely satisfying, comforting Virginia once you get the hang of it. I grew to like it so much as to order 5 pounds once it went on sale.

Brown Virginia is a companionable tobacco: not grassy like its bright cousin, or tangy like the red. Instead it's more like bread or toast, with a tantalizing smoothness suggestive of butter cream. Very calming.

The key to getting those divine aromas is a slow persistent burn, so that one is not struggling to keep it lit, yet it's burning at just above a smoulder. To aid combustion I fold a portion of flake into a clump and then air pocket it loosely into the pipe, giving the tobacco ample room to expand.

My wife gave this one a "Nice toasty tobacco!" compliment recently. Which is noteworthy considering that Superior Navy Flake is pure tobacco goodness with no aromatic enhancements. Let's face it: high quality Virginia tobacco is like an exquisite perfume when it burns gently. Even non smokers can appreciate that ... on good days.

Pipe Used: Stanwell No. 95 (Sixten Ivarsson)

Purchased From: Online Vendor

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Best Brown Flake.

This is an excellent value in a Virginia flake. I smoked mine rubbed out and found it a pleasant slightly sweet Virginia without the distinctive cirtus/hay of a yellow Virginia and without the tart/heavy you find in a red Virginia. There may have been a little caramel in the flavor profile from the natural sugars, but I claim this is not topped at all. I was told room note was a little like a toasted bagel. That is friendly enough for non-smokers.

Initial impressions were LNF without the perique. I think LNF has a slightly "brighter" flavor profile though. This was good but nothing to rave about. I could smoke this all day but won't. If you like Virginias and want to try a basic Virginia flake, this gets a good recommendation. It is a solid 3 on my rating scale...

Hanzy4200 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hanzy4200 (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This a fine flake. I was given a healthy sample by a friend and I've been very impressed. I generally would not factor price into a review, but this could be an exception. A Navy flake available at this price and of this quality is unmatched. Excellent tobacco to add to your rotation. I plan to cellar a lb.

PS. The "Select 2-3 flakes and rub out...." bit is a bit comical. I'd like to see the pipe that will hold 2 or 3 1"x5" flakes. Better have a big bowl.

Pipe Used: Italian Estate Pipe

Perique Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Perique (114)

Newminster No.400 Superior Navy Flake presents as the standard, rectangular flake, similar to Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake or many other bulk flakes on the market today. The nose is predominantly of sweet coffee and a touch of cacao. These aromas translate directly as flavors on the charring light.

The true light continues with chocolatey, coffee and milk flavors for the first several puffs before giving way to a more traditional, if understated, Virginia citrus that lasts about towards the end of the first third before giving way to a toasty, burnt caramel flavor that lasts, supported by the coffee/mineral/earthy background notes, consistently through to the end. There's also a slight parchment note reminiscent of good burley.

In a crowded field of Virginia flakes dominated by lemons and reds, full of citrus and tang, and with hay-like aromas, No.400 Superior Navy Flake stands out for its slightly Burley-esque flavor profile: toast, mineral, cocoa, parchment. 400 will bite if pushed, so the best approach is a soft, slow cadence to release the maximum amount of subtle flavor without a tongue scorch. Like most Virginias, one may be tempted to push the cadence to extract more flavor. But this approach doesn't work - its simply not there. Rather, the flavor profile manifests only in its subtlety, and is extracted with finesse rather than brute force. The smoke can be a bit hot at times, but dry. The finished pipe is left relatively dry with no slop.

Overall a very good tobacco, a nice change of pace for the traditional Virginia smoker used to a more citrusy smoke, and a fantastic value.

DeathMetal.org Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DeathMetal.org (74)
Extremely Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

This blend is admirably straightforward: pressed Virginia in flake form, with a gentle sweetness and minimal tobacco. The flavor seems entirely natural, and for those who love sweet Virginia tobacco alone, it may be desirable. In my view, this is best used as an ingredient in a blend of your own because its taste is somewhat one-dimensional and too sweet, and it lacks strength and character when smoked alone. I appreciate that the flake trend (2012-2016) has waxed and is now waning, and that many of these tobaccos are expensive which makes this one seem desirable, but Dunhill flake is both stronger and more flavorful for only a few dollars more. Further, I might point to the Villiger blends which incorporate these Virginias alongside others and get a tastier, more powerful result. But I have trouble getting excited over this one.

joeljcj2 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
joeljcj2 (10)

this is a light clean Danish flake, I smoked it unaged, and would compare it to iwan ries Danish flake . it is not quite as rich as dunhill flake, and not nearly as rich or complex as Samuel gawith best brown,...but a light pleasant smoke nonetheless. I do not sense any topping --although there is a hint of sweetness---probably natural Virginia tobacco sugars. I am normally a smoker of untflavored Virginia flakes ( I favor a touch of perique--like sam gawith st james - in the evening) and this is a very pleasing, possibly all day smoke. the price is certainly appealing when compared to the gawith prices.

Pipe Used: large charatan

Purchased From: pipes and cigars

Similar Blends: iwan ries Danish flake, dunhill flake.

Andya27 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andya27 (9)

This was one of the first tobaccos I purchased. And it remains among my favorites. I prefer Virginia flakes and kakes - either by itself or with Latakia.

This Virginia blend has a very nice tin note. The sweetness would almost suggest a casing, but it has none. Letting it dry for a half hour before lighting, I find no difficulty lighting nor keeping it lit.

Did I mention that I love Virginias? And this one doesn't disappoint. It's not a deep, brooding Virginia that will knock your socks off with nicotine. It's not a replacement for an English blend. It's a Virginia mixture that can be smoked all day, every day.

The room note is quite pleasant for a tobacco without any casing. I would not feel uncomfortable smoking this around non-pipe smokers.

I have three ounces of this that I have sealed in a mason jar and will keep cellared at least six months, if not a year. I believe that a bit of age will only deepen the flavor.

If a non-pipe smoking friend wanted to try a tobacco, this is one I would not hesitate to suggest. If a seasoned pipe veteran wanted a mild Virginia blend to smoke while working, reading, or relaxing - again, I would recommend this without hesitation.

This is a tobacco that doesn't pretend to be something that it isn't. It's a straignt-forward Virginia - not monochrome - but with minimal range as you progress through the bowl. What you do receive is a consistent, mild to medium smoke that will satisfy.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Golden Danish

Purchased From: Local brick and mortar

Tony M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tony M (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

When compared to the wide array of beloved VA flakes available, I could see this newcomer being easily overlooked. However, it has been a very welcome addition to my cellar and I'm already well stocked on the blend.

When I first gave this a whiff I would have sworn that it was cased, but a bit of digging confirmed that it is not. The aroma is incredibly sweet and very enjoyable.

I used to rub out a few flakes to smoke, but of late have done more fold-and-stuff after giving a flake or two some air time. I have smoked it without any drying, but it was definitely easier for it to burn hot I've not found drying to detract from the flavor at all.

The flavor I've had trouble finding the right adjective for. It's a bit darker than caramel, but not so much as molasses. A nice, rich sweetness that I enjoy from the top to the bottom of the bowl. It could be described as a bit one note, and I could see that as a detraction, but I absolutely adore it. I'm eager to see what some age will do for this flake, too.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (104)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild Pleasant

A Navy flake on the lighter side. This was "ok" and considering that there are a lot of other Navy Flakes around that i consider better i will not be back to this one (Peter Stokkebye Navy flake at a similar price in bulk). Has a slight candy smell to it. Light with low nicotine. Worth a try though thou as we all have different tastes.

pecheur Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
pecheur (17)

Has a slight note of carmel when you open the bag and this comes through in the smoking, it's a very mild flavour of carmel without the sweetness and it complements the mild virginia flavour very nicely. I wouldn't be surprised to learn this has a very light topping or casing.

I could enjoy this blend but, like MacBaren blends, no matter how I pack the bowl or how slowly I smoke this blend bites me hard from first puff to last. If it wasn't for that I'd give it two or three stars but as it is...

Pipe Used: Falcon

Purchased From: Smoking pipes

Hybrid12 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hybrid12 (26)

I received a sample of this and being a big fan of flake couldn't wait to try this out. I rubbed it out and it burned with only one relight. The Virginia really shines in this flake with exquisite taste that reminded me of Dunhill Flake. I really like this tobacco and would say if you like a medium strength Virginia Flake, this is on tobacco that is definitely worthy of lighting up. A true delight with exceptional lemon/bronze flavored Virginia.

Pipe Used: briar

Age When Smoked: Freshly rubbed out, with no drying time

Purchased From: Smoking Pipes

Similar Blends: Dunhill Flake.

Mr. Motoyoshi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Mr. Motoyoshi (66)
Mild Extremely Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant

I bought 2 oz. a year ago and, as braindead as I am, left it in the box that came from smoking pipes. I was sending a pipe to a friend as a gift and was going to reuse the box. Lo and behold, I found the baggie of tobacco with perfect moisture! Which may lead me to believe there is some PG in this, or I had the perfect ziplock from smokingpipes.com

The smell of this stuff in the bag is incredible. When I opened the package a year ago it gave the whole box this sweet caramel smell. But none of that transfers to the smoke. I doubt there isn't a casing on this tobacco.

The flakes are very thin and are rubbed out easily. Even if they're folded they tend to split with little to no pressure. Easy to light and usually burns down to a nice white/grey ash with little to no dottle.

The flavor of this is very peculiar. I see a lot of reviewers having experience with brown VA. It doesn't taste like the bag note at all. For tobacco frame of reference I would say Samuel Gawith BBF but with way less high notes. Very little citrusy notes in this tobacco. It has a very slight sweetness and a little tang. Almost reminds me the aftertaste of an Italian glazed chestnut.

One thing should be noted, this is nothing like Peter Stokkebye's Luxury Navy Flake. But if you want a nice all day smooth smoking VA, this is a great start. Also recommended to someone who wants to try VAs without the tangy bite they offer for some smokers.

Pipe Used: Cobs, briars and mortas

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Best Brown Flake.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (70)

This is a very nice flake that is produced in Denmark. Often referred to as a cheap compared to comparable brands and blends. I Love my Virginia's and this is no exception. Offered in a nice dense brown slices that rub out to small ribbons. It has a wonderful nutty sweet taste with mild complexity that a VA aficionado is sure to enjoy. This tobacco burns well but needs to be enjoyed patiently to avoid bite. The most redeeming facet of this tobacco is the price. Don't be fooled, like wine, pipe tobacco doesn't have to be expensive to be worthy of smoking. Sweet smokes gentlemen!

Brass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Brass (5)
Mild Very Mild Medium Pleasant

This is an honest, simple, pure, satisfying Virginia flake that bite sensitive smokers can enjoy. Beautiful flakes with fresh pouch aroma of grass and sweet tang. It is just as good in quality as more expensive flakes. I sometimes want complexity in my smokes. Other times I'm looking for something that satisfies an itch for something down to earth. SNF satisfies, which is the most important, if intangible, quality I seek in a blend.

Pipe Used: Jepperson pot

Similar Blends: PS LNF.

Leaf Packer Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Leaf Packer (15)
Mild to Medium None Detected Very Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Got free sample with order, I figured what the hell I haven't tried Navy Flake by any manufacture. I was so impress I order 8oz. plus 8oz. of Stokkebye just to compare the very next day. Lets keep in mind that I smoke English/Balkan so a straight Virginia or Va/Per is only 180 degrees left of center, With that being said, I found this to be quite enjoyable, earthy, straight forward and very satisfying. I need to learn how to pack to suit me but that is my problem. This tobacco can suit any taste even aro smokers, with it's mild tasty somewhat creamy flavor. It works well with morning coffee, it's just a great way to start your day

Mild None Detected Mild Tolerable

I was given a pretty good sample of this flake and just recently finished it up. I found this to be a good Virginia flake, but a little too mild for my preferences. I ended up spiking it considerably with perique for my last bowl just to give it some heft.

It is hay sweet with some citrus notes that you would expect from a mostly yellow Virginia. If I were to search for a comparison I would compare it to capstan yellow. At least, I was left with the same sensation when smoking this one. I think that if you enjoy mild Virginias, then you could really like this one.

Similar Blends: Capstan Yellow.

Big Blue Jazzman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Big Blue Jazzman (46)

Wow, I am impressed with this Navy Flake. One of the best I've tried and would be a great choice for aging. And at an awesome price. You can't go wrong with this one. I hope Newminster continues to grow their line of fine tobaccos.

Pipe Used: 70's Meer

Purchased From: Pipes & Cigars

Similar Blends: PS Navy Flake.

Ronnstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnstein (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I like this blend for it's lighter citrus note. I always have a tin of MacBaren's mixture flake around, this blend is similar, but lighter. Of course MacBaren makes #400, so it's still very good quality and similar to mixture flake to me. So far this is the best of the Newminster line that I have tried, reasonably priced and a good smoke, recommended.

Pipe Used: Various briars and cobs

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)

Thin, oak-colored flakes, with some streaks of honey and lemon. After a few minutes' drying, it breaks up nicely although a bit on the small side. Smoking it was pleasant; as everyone else has observed, this is a mild, uncomplicated Virginia. Mostly I experienced a pineapple flavor with notes of honey and oatmeal. The pineapple citrus flavor predominated throughout, almost irritatingly so. It's a very light smoke, with mild strength.

It's nothing to knock your socks off, but for an inexpensive Virginia flake it's very good. It would be interesting to see what Kilmarnock Piper reports after smoking some of his cellared flake in a year or so. As it is, I could see buying a few pounds of this but only if there were some sort of national pipe tobacco shortage and I couldn't get my hands on anything more to my liking.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 53;

Rated Percentage = 88%;

Comment = Smooth, medium Full Body rich natural tobacco Flavor, just a whisper of a Bite

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I got a pound when it first came out mainly because of the price, and it was indeed a good value. Smoking it, however, I really get the impression that it needs to age a few years. It comes across as raw to me. Doesn't bite, doesn't taste all that bad, but needs to develop some character. Well, I have plenty in a great big jar, so I can continue to evaluate it as the months pass. I can concentrate on my more aged Virginias in the meantime, but still, the pipe I'm smoking of this right now isn't at all bad; this tobacco is just young and needs some experience. Even now, it is a perfectly good little Virginia flake, but don't expect a lot of complexity right now.

Nicely prepared flakes ~ 3"x1.5"x1/16" that I just fold and are easy to pack by this method. I thought that my bulk sample was a bit dry as received but it still smoked without getting hot. Not as sweet as some other VA flakes but smokes without bite or condensation and is an enjoyable trip. Give it a try if you enjoy VA flakes.

Armeniandude Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Armeniandude (5)
Extremely Mild None Detected Very Mild Very Pleasant

my first interaction with a flake. The smell is slightly fruity/grassy with honey. It almost smells like an aromatic but it isn't. Reminds me of a sweet summer smell. It smelled so good you almost want to eat it. Again, for my first time ever packing a flake, it packed and rubbed out easily to put a little kindling on top and fired right up. I only had to relight once or twice the whole bowl. It has a sweet grassy aroma, burned dry and cool, and overall was one of the better experiences I've had so far with pipe tobacco. Can't wait to try it again. I did let it dry out for an hour or two before packing and did not get any bite. I tend to smoke too fast sometimes and it still didn't bite. If you're looking for something really complex to contemplate on, move along. But if you're looking for something enjoyable just to sit out in the evening sun to relax and smoke something mild and sweet, this is up your alley.

Pipe Used: corn cob

Similar Blends: Cornell & Diehl - Virginia Flake, Lane Limited - 125th Anniversary.

In the pouch, I only smell typical grassy Virginia's, but when I put the flake under the nose, there is clearly a sweet topping, almost chocolaty. But in the pipe, there is some added sweetness, but it doesn’t get in the way of the Virginia flavor and whatever scent I associated with a chocolaty smell it didn’t translate to the smoke. Unlike my other two experiences with Newminster, I didn’t find any rough edges with SNF. The medium brown Virginia's take the lead for me with a few bright spots. There is a bit of a brown sugar and/or caramel note to the flavor. It will burn a little hot if pushed, but with the proper cadence, SNF offers very straight forward flavor with no complexity. After a few bowls I found myself wanting either a little Perique or Burley to keep things interesting. As with Superior Round, the big selling point to this blend is the cost/value equation. It’s a decent flake at a very decent price, but Stokkebye’s Luxury Navy Flake, I’m pretty sure made by the same company, is still my flake of choice when compared to SNF.

Gripsholm Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Gripsholm (6)

I received 2 oz's of this in which I smoked one oz fresh and cellared the other for about 6 months. This review is on the cellared oz.

The pouch note is a sweet fig like aroma. When I first lit up I was immediately struck by a mild lemony citrus flavor. After about a half dozen puffs or so the figgy pouch note reappeared as a ghostly nuance presenting a nice interplay between sweet and tangy.

I experienced no pipe gurgle as the flake burned down to a fine white ash. As with most pure Virginia's it becomes a delicate balance between keeping my pipe lit and avoiding tongue bite.

The 6 months of aging didn't seem to do much other than darken the leaf from a dark yellow to a medium brown color. I didn't notice much of a change in the pouch note or smoking flavor.

I smoked this flake in a corn cob because for me smoking Virginia flake in a corn cob is as natural as eating hot buttered popcorn at a movie, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

IMHO This Virginia flake is exactly what a Virginia flake should be.

Pipe Used: Seasoned Corn cob

Very Mild Mild Mild Pleasant

Based on a 1 oz sample, this is a very nice looking long flake of mostly light brown color. Bag scent was light but I picked up a light caramel or butterscotch along with a citrus aroma.

Somewhat typical Danish Virginia flake with an underlying lemon citrus flavor but this one also has a touch of something like wheat flavor. A lightly sweet casing that I couldn't place but since this is a navy flake, I'd guess rum, although I'm not tasting rum specifically. I preferred this rubbed out because it produced a bit more flavor, something this blend lacks for my taste buds. It's just too light in flavor, but would likely be perfect for an all-day smoker wanting a mellow sweet flavor. Frankly, I was bored, but that's a personal judgment - this tobacco is probably better in an objective sense than the two stars I'm giving it. I did get a slight bitterness from it at times but mostly it was sweetness and citrus with that touch of wheat. No development to speak of, but again if a smoker just wants a bowl they can set and forget, this one should be on their list.

Bonneville Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Bonneville (40)

Man, this is a tough review to make. I REALLY wanted to like this a lot. I was banking on liking it a lot, and purchased several pounds of it. The pouch note gives off a delicious brown-sugary scent that makes your tastebuds water. The flakes are masterfully prepared and the box presentation is top notch.

The problem is that the smoke itself I find... lacking. There's lots of bright Virginia notes with a nice sweetness. But this is a tobacco I would equate with a gorgeous super-model type woman, but one that has very little depth or dimension. To draw another comparison, this tobacco is all treble and no bass.

Where is the low end on this stuff? Sadly it's not there. The smoke tastes and feels... empty. I don't know how else to say it. It's a decent tobacco and is very well priced. But for not much more money, you could get some Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake, which is far superior.

I've been using this as a blender, adding it to more brooding tobaccos, so as to not waste it. Shame, it really is a beautiful tobacco... just not much going on inside of there.

Pipe Used: Various briars

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Old6String Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Old6String (24)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

Very good straight forward Virginia. Don't let the low price point deter you from trying this. I don't choose to rub this out. I tear the pieces just shy of the rim and do this as many times as needed to fill the bowl then light and tamp as normal. All of the pieces are standing on end and after lighting, the tamping lays them down nicely. Great smoke for sure; stays in my rotation.

Kyohan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Kyohan (13)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant

I received a sample of this with my last order from Smoking Pipes and was pleasantly surprised. I had read a few reviews that said this was just OK, but I really like it and think it will just get better with some age on it. I will definitely add some of this to my next order.

Pipe Used: Peterson 408