Tobacco selection: The finest Virginias from USA, Brazil and Africa.

Tobacco cut: Traditional flake slice cut.

Tobacco Flavor/Aroma: Non-aromatic, with a range from mild to medium strength.

Recommendations: Most enjoyable on its own. Select 2 to 3 flakes – rub gently in your hand prior and fill the pipe lightly.

BrandNewminster
Manufactured ByVilliger
CountryUnknown
Strength
Taste

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (79)

...I've read some reviews of this tobacco and I don't agree that this is "cut-rate" or is "less a Virginia Flake than others"...Frankly, it stands on its own, has a very reasonable character, and smokes well.

I don't see it as a replacement for any current tobacco either...

It is simply a nice mild/medium Virginia Flake...

I ordered a pound of this several weeks ago have have augmented my usual strong matured Virginia plugs/Flakes with this and find this continues to be an appealing, quality leaf tobacco.

Not what I would consider in my all time top 15 tobaccos but one I will keep in rotation, without hesitation.

A fine all day smoke and does well in a group 3-4 size pipe. Worth a good try for those who like a fairly straight forward mild Virginia Flake.

...a pipe is to be savored...

Ronnstein Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ronnstein (14)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Medium Tolerable

I like this blend for it's lighter citrus note. I always have a tin of MacBaren's mixture flake around, this blend is similar, but lighter. Of course MacBaren makes #400, so it's still very good quality and similar to mixture flake to me. So far this is the best of the Newminster line that I have tried, reasonably priced and a good smoke, recommended.

Pipe Used: Various briars and cobs

Purchased From: P&C

PC Plod Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PC Plod (42)

A high quality, understated brown Virginia flake.

I was a bit challenged by this one at first. The pouch note was mouth watering: toasty, buttery, with a hint of brown sugar. But that lusciousness didn't carry through to the smoke, which seemed mild to the point of vanishing.

Fortunately time and experience cured that. This marvelous flake is indeed subtle, but blossoms into an intensely satisfying, comforting Virginia once you get the hang of it. I grew to like it so much as to order 5 pounds once it went on sale.

Brown Virginia is a companionable tobacco: not grassy like its bright cousin, or tangy like the red. Instead it's more like bread or toast, with a tantalizing smoothness suggestive of butter cream. Very calming.

The key to getting those divine aromas is a slow persistent burn, so that one is not struggling to keep it lit, yet it's burning at just above a smoulder. To aid combustion I fold a portion of flake into a clump and then air pocket it loosely into the pipe, giving the tobacco ample room to expand.

My wife gave this one a "Nice toasty tobacco!" compliment recently. Which is noteworthy considering that Superior Navy Flake is pure tobacco goodness with no aromatic enhancements. Let's face it: high quality Virginia tobacco is like an exquisite perfume when it burns gently. Even non smokers can appreciate that ... on good days.

Pipe Used: Stanwell No. 95 (Sixten Ivarsson)

Purchased From: Online Vendor

Similar Blends: Samuel Gawith - Best Brown Flake.

Andya27 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Andya27 (9)

This was one of the first tobaccos I purchased. And it remains among my favorites. I prefer Virginia flakes and kakes - either by itself or with Latakia.

This Virginia blend has a very nice tin note. The sweetness would almost suggest a casing, but it has none. Letting it dry for a half hour before lighting, I find no difficulty lighting nor keeping it lit.

Did I mention that I love Virginias? And this one doesn't disappoint. It's not a deep, brooding Virginia that will knock your socks off with nicotine. It's not a replacement for an English blend. It's a Virginia mixture that can be smoked all day, every day.

The room note is quite pleasant for a tobacco without any casing. I would not feel uncomfortable smoking this around non-pipe smokers.

I have three ounces of this that I have sealed in a mason jar and will keep cellared at least six months, if not a year. I believe that a bit of age will only deepen the flavor.

If a non-pipe smoking friend wanted to try a tobacco, this is one I would not hesitate to suggest. If a seasoned pipe veteran wanted a mild Virginia blend to smoke while working, reading, or relaxing - again, I would recommend this without hesitation.

This is a tobacco that doesn't pretend to be something that it isn't. It's a straignt-forward Virginia - not monochrome - but with minimal range as you progress through the bowl. What you do receive is a consistent, mild to medium smoke that will satisfy.

Pipe Used: Stanwell Golden Danish

Purchased From: Local brick and mortar

Hanzy4200 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Hanzy4200 (12)
Mild to Medium Mild to Medium Mild Tolerable

This a fine flake. I was given a healthy sample by a friend and I've been very impressed. I generally would not factor price into a review, but this could be an exception. A Navy flake available at this price and of this quality is unmatched. Excellent tobacco to add to your rotation. I plan to cellar a lb.

PS. The "Select 2-3 flakes and rub out...." bit is a bit comical. I'd like to see the pipe that will hold 2 or 3 1"x5" flakes. Better have a big bowl.

Pipe Used: Italian Estate Pipe

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 53;

Rated Percentage = 88%;

Comment = Smooth, medium Full Body rich natural tobacco Flavor, just a whisper of a Bite

Nicely prepared flakes ~ 3"x1.5"x1/16" that I just fold and are easy to pack by this methiod. I thought that my bulk sample was a bit dry as received but it still smoked without getting hot. Not as sweet as some other VA flakes but smokes without bite or condensation and is an enjoyable trip. Give it a try if you enjoy VA flakes.

Tony M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tony M (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

When compared to the wide array of beloved VA flakes available, I could see this newcomer being easily overlooked. However, it has been a very welcome addition to my cellar and I'm already well stocked on the blend.

When I first gave this a whiff I would have sworn that it was cased, but a bit of digging confirmed that it is not. The aroma is incredibly sweet and very enjoyable.

I used to rub out a few flakes to smoke, but of late have done more fold-and-stuff after giving a flake or two some air time. I have smoked it without any drying, but it was definitely easier for it to burn hot I've not found drying to detract from the flavor at all.

The flavor I've had trouble finding the right adjective for. It's a bit darker than caramel, but not so much as molasses. A nice, rich sweetness that I enjoy from the top to the bottom of the bowl. It could be described as a bit one note, and I could see that as a detraction, but I absolutely adore it. I'm eager to see what some age will do for this flake, too.

Backwoods Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Backwoods Piper (52)

This is a very nice flake that is produced in Denmark. Often referred to as a cheap compared to comparable brands and blends. I Love my Virginia's and this is no exception. Offered in a nice dense brown slices that rub out to small ribbons. It has a wonderful nutty sweet taste with mild complexity that a VA aficionado is sure to enjoy. This tobacco burns well but needs to be enjoyed patiently to avoid bite. The most redeeming facet of this tobacco is the price. Don't be fooled, like wine, pipe tobacco doesn't have to be expensive to be worthy of smoking. Sweet smokes gentlemen!

This is an excellent value in a Virginia flake. I smoked mine rubbed out and found it a pleasant slightly sweet Virginia without the distinctive cirtus/hay of a yellow Virginia and without the tart/heavy you find in a red Virginia. There may have been a little caramel in the flavor profile from the natural sugars, but I claim this is not topped at all. I was told room note was a little like a toasted bagel. That is friendly enough for non-smokers.

Initial impressions were LNF without the perique. I think LNF has a slightly "brighter" flavor profile though. This was good but nothing to rave about. I could smoke this all day but won't. If you like Virginias and want to try a basic Virginia flake, this gets a good recommendation. It is a solid 3 on my rating scale...

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)

Thin, oak-colored flakes, with some streaks of honey and lemon. After a few minutes' drying, it breaks up nicely although a bit on the small side. Smoking it was pleasant; as everyone else has observed, this is a mild, uncomplicated Virginia. Mostly I experienced a pineapple flavor with notes of honey and oatmeal. The pineapple citrus flavor predominated throughout, almost irritatingly so. It's a very light smoke, with mild strength.

It's nothing to knock your socks off, but for an inexpensive Virginia flake it's very good. It would be interesting to see what Kilmarnock Piper reports after smoking some of his cellared flake in a year or so. As it is, I could see buying a few pounds of this but only if there were some sort of national pipe tobacco shortage and I couldn't get my hands on anything more to my liking.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I got a pound when it first came out mainly because of the price, and it was indeed a good value. Smoking it, however, I really get the impression that it needs to age a few years. It comes across as raw to me. Doesn't bite, doesn't taste all that bad, but needs to develop some character. Well, I have plenty in a great big jar, so I can continue to evaluate it as the months pass. I can concentrate on my more aged Virginias in the meantime, but still, the pipe I'm smoking of this right now isn't at all bad; this tobacco is just young and needs some experience. Even now, it is a perfectly good little Virginia flake, but don't expect a lot of complexity right now.