Tobacco selection: The finest Virginias from USA, Brazil and Africa.

Tobacco cut: Traditional flake slice cut.

Tobacco Flavor/Aroma: Non-aromatic, with a range from mild to medium strength.

Recommendations: Most enjoyable on its own. Select 2 to 3 flakes – rub gently in your hand prior and fill the pipe lightly.

BrandNewminster
Manufactured ByVilliger
CountryUnknown
Strength
None Detected, Very Mild
Taste

Nicely prepared flakes ~ 3"x1.5"x1/16" that I just fold and are easy to pack by this methiod. I thought that my bulk sample was a bit dry as received but it still smoked without getting hot. Not as sweet as some other VA flakes but smokes without bite or condensation and is an enjoyable trip. Give it a try if you enjoy VA flakes.

Tony M Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Tony M (6)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium Pleasant

When compared to the wide array of beloved VA flakes available, I could see this newcomer being easily overlooked. However, it has been a very welcome addition to my cellar and I'm already well stocked on the blend.

When I first gave this a whiff I would have sworn that it was cased, but a bit of digging confirmed that it is not. The aroma is incredibly sweet and very enjoyable.

I used to rub out a few flakes to smoke, but of late have done more fold-and-stuff after giving a flake or two some air time. I have smoked it without any drying, but it was definitely easier for it to burn hot I've not found drying to detract from the flavor at all.

The flavor I've had trouble finding the right adjective for. It's a bit darker than caramel, but not so much as molasses. A nice, rich sweetness that I enjoy from the top to the bottom of the bowl. It could be described as a bit one note, and I could see that as a detraction, but I absolutely adore it. I'm eager to see what some age will do for this flake, too.

PeterD Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
PeterD (74)

...I've read some reviews of this tobacco and I don't agree that this is "cut-rate" or is "less a Virginia Flake than others"...Frankly, it stands on its own, has a very reasonable character, and smokes well.

I don't see it as a replacement for any current tobacco either...

It is simply a nice mild/medium Virginia Flake...

I ordered a pound of this several weeks ago have have augmented my usual strong matured Virginia plugs/Flakes with this and find this continues to be an appealing, quality leaf tobacco.

Not what I would consider in my all time top 15 tobaccos but one I will keep in rotation, without hesitation.

A fine all day smoke and does well in a group 3-4 size pipe. Worth a good try for those who like a fairly straight forward mild Virginia Flake.

...a pipe is to be savored...

SecretAgentMan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
SecretAgentMan (27)

Thin, oak-colored flakes, with some streaks of honey and lemon. After a few minutes' drying, it breaks up nicely although a bit on the small side. Smoking it was pleasant; as everyone else has observed, this is a mild, uncomplicated Virginia. Mostly I experienced a pineapple flavor with notes of honey and oatmeal. The pineapple citrus flavor predominated throughout, almost irritatingly so. It's a very light smoke, with mild strength.

It's nothing to knock your socks off, but for an inexpensive Virginia flake it's very good. It would be interesting to see what Kilmarnock Piper reports after smoking some of his cellared flake in a year or so. As it is, I could see buying a few pounds of this but only if there were some sort of national pipe tobacco shortage and I couldn't get my hands on anything more to my liking.

Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

I got a pound when it first came out mainly because of the price, and it was indeed a good value. Smoking it, however, I really get the impression that it needs to age a few years. It comes across as raw to me. Doesn't bite, doesn't taste all that bad, but needs to develop some character. Well, I have plenty in a great big jar, so I can continue to evaluate it as the months pass. I can concentrate on my more aged Virginias in the meantime, but still, the pipe I'm smoking of this right now isn't at all bad; this tobacco is just young and needs some experience. Even now, it is a perfectly good little Virginia flake, but don't expect a lot of complexity right now.

Smoke_Ring Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note

Burn = 9;

After Taste = 9;

Raw Score = 53;

Rated Percentage = 88%;

Comment = Smooth, medium Full Body rich natural tobacco Flavor, just a whisper of a Bite