Sail Black is a blend with dominating dark tobaccos, specially treated with double fermentation and aging, giving a sweet vanilla type aroma.

Blended ByScandinavian Tobacco Group
Mild, Mild to Medium, Full
Patxi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Patxi (1)
Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Pleasant

Got this tobacco at the local magazine. Having previously reviewed other blends from this make, I thought I wouldn't be far off. As an occasional smoker, I prefer mild to very mild blends, and this is one of them, with nicotine being lightly noticed.

Opening the puch, sealed inside a plastic bag, one notices immediately the aroma of chocolate and raisins, that lasts all the way to the end of the bowl. One can taste it and smell it when smoking.

Be carefull of tongue bite. Light it up and puff to fast and it will bite. Do the same when going throught the bowl and it will bite again.

Tends to go out if not tightly packed on the bowl; bruns a bit on the fast side, and leaves a fine hard ash.

The after taste is bland on the mouth, but persistent.

One to be bought again by me, with an almost sweet-like addiction, like sucking candy or eating dark chocolate, and low kick. IF you don't mind the bite when it caughts you offguard .

Orchid Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Orchid (3)
Mild to Medium Medium to Strong Full Strong

I may be biased because the only cased tobacco I've ever liked is Bosun's Cut Plug (which I adore), but this was the only pipe tobacco available in the local Portuguese baccy shop when I was on holiday there, so I had to buy it. Basically: Yuk! I agree with Patxi's pouch aroma, but would add the noticeable vanilla casing. Can be a struggle to get going once in the bowl, and goes out if you don't keep at it. It seems to me that it's been sweetened. It has a dark chocolate kind of bitterness, but is sugary sweet and with the vanilla this is quite sickly to my taste. All the while I'm smoking it I'm yearning for a nice clean, pure virginia. My partner said that the vanilla was noticeable on the room note, but the underlying tobacco stank horrible - and disliked it a lot. If I wasn't as tight as a gnat's arse, I'd bin it. As it is I'm struggling on until the pouch is done. This very moment I'm smoking it while drinking fresh ground cuban coffee, and I'm thinking what a waste of good coffee.

Very Mild Medium to Strong Mild Pleasant

Sail - Black.

Firstly, I'll point out that this isn't a Krumble Kake (as it says at present), it's more of a coarse cut blend, or even a mixture. There appears to be quite an equal quantity of both black and gold Cavendish, and the smell from the pouch makes the aromatic ingredients easy to ascertain; it smells rich.

The immediate thought to pop into my mind is about chocolate truffles, the type that are popular at Christmas. Because the chocolate/cocoa addition is quite strong the taste can become a touch bitter/tangy if I draw on my pipe with too much force, but providing a gentler technique is employed it's quite a sensual smoke. Of the extra flavours the chocolate sits highest until about a quarter of the way in; this is the point where the smoke takes on a good creamy vanilla note. The chocolate is still the stronger of the two flavours but any of the astringency is abated by the creaminess from the vanilla. The tobacco's seem completely orthodox: slightly sweet, somewhat creamy, and very cool in temperature. The burn's good, even if it's a bit fast (but that's a regular issue with my technique!).

The room-note's nice, and there's very little nicotine to be had.

This is a good enough smoke, but I couldn't see myself regularly smoking it.

Two stars.

Pipe Used: Peterson Silver Spigot #XL02.

Purchased From: Portugal