A malty richness, piquant zest and fully-developed body hallmark this unique pressed cake. The remarkable balance of three hearty reds with both yellow and stoved black Virginia is of an appropriately historic character, perfect for cellaring. Linger in a "New York State-of-Mind" with Bowling Green.

BrandNew York Pipe Club
2.3
Young Piper Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Young Piper (271)
Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant

Now at the two year mark aging in a Ball jar, Bowling Green has blossomed into a delightful smoke. I don't know who blended my batch but whoever it was used green leaf. Let your tin age at least a year otherwise you will not be impressed. A totally different blend than the one I got when freshly opened!

I had initially reviewed this blend over a year ago and wasn't impressed but did imagine that aging would significantly improve this blend so I stuffed it in a Ball jar, hid in the back of a drawer and waited. While this will not make 4 stars it did improve to a 3 star. Being an all Virginia blend it has mellowed and melded the flavors while increasing the sweetness. Also the cake has darkened over time and accumulated sugar crystals. I will thoroughly enjoy my 4 ounces.

Age When Smoked: 2 years in a Ball jar

puro66 Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
puro66 (74)
Mild to Medium None Detected Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

I am surprised that this has not yet been reviewed but here goes.

I bought this and Bedloe's Island after a prominent push of it in the blenders catalogue.

I wanted to like this blend, truly I did. I pushed through bowl after bowl trying to find something in the way of taste or complexity or something. Unfortunately it just didn't happen for me, this reminds me of Marble Kake by the same blender. It's tobacco in the bowl and it produces smoke but there it ends. There are many fine blends to be had but this one will not return to my smoking chamber.

I don't like to trash a tobacco because taste's are highly subjective but I love virginias and I don't believe this would even be helped by aging. I will give it the two stars because I did smoke the whole tin, but...

Mild None Detected Very Mild Pleasant to Tolerable

A nicely prepared crumble cake with ideal moisture content from the tin. Easy to pack and light. Didn't get the 'richness' and 'body' as advertised and the hearty red VAs didn't reveal the natural sweetness I look for in a straight VA. Other out there are much better.

Pipe Used: various bowl sizes