Bestowed to our club by its founder, Sailorman Jack, his personal recipe is a rich and stout blend featuring sweet lemon and red Virginias with generous portions of fine Latakia and Perique for added spice and depth. Finished with shredded Cigar Leaf, it delivers unique flavor that will appeal to seasoned smokers. "Attention, Attention!" Savor a "New York State-of-Mind" with Jack's Shanty.

BrandNew York Pipe Club
Blended ByRuss Ouellette
Manufactured ByPipes & Cigars
Blend TypeCigar Leaf Based
Contents Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Perique, Virginia
Packaging2oz Tin
Strength
Taste
Medium, Medium to Full
Very Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable
Aeronius Hook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Aeronius Hook (4)
Medium None Detected Medium to Full Very Pleasant

My only disappointment with this blend is the fact that there aren't many reviews for this yet. I haven't been a fan of other cigar leaf blends that I've managed to try so far, but this one is absolutely delicious. The Virginias and Latakia dominate, but the cigar leaf shows itself to the extent that it is neither obtrusive nor evasive. It adds just the right amount of dark undertone that makes the entire blend that much savorier. It has its nuances, but above all, it's tasty.

Also, though I tend to smoke outdoors, I do get a whiff of what probably would be the room note. It's a very attractive scent, a mix of the smell of Virginias and a light scent of cigar, with a pleasantly sour note.

this comes at ideal smoking moisture, and stays lit fairly easily. The flavor remains quite consistent, even if you rest in between lights. No tongue-bite though few blends bite for me. The nicotine content is moderate, slightly higher than your standard Virginia.

Jack's Shanty has certainly turned out to be one of my favorites, even since my first couple bowls, and I definitely will keep a good reserve at hand. Many thanks to Russ for another exceptional blend!

Russ Ouellette just seems to have a great touch with blends containing cigar leaf! Virginia Spice, Stogie and now Jack's Shanty are all very good to excellent blends. After plowing through a large sample from the Chicago Pipe Show and now into my first tin, there's no doubt he has another winner here. Jack's, like many of Russ's blends arrives on the dry side which is perfect for my taste, as it is "pipe ready." It's easy to pack and it is one of those blends that just seems to produce a large volume of smoke. The flavors are somewhat complex and medium to full in flavor. If you like cigar blends where the cigar leaf is leading the way, Jack's might not be what you are looking for because for me it seems to enhance the overall flavor rather than take it over. Jack's has a nice underlying sweetness that is present throughout the bowl. I am not sure if it was lightly added or is a result of the leaf used. Either way, it tastes great. I do get more high notes to the blend, but it is not lacking in depth. Congrats to Russ and the folks at P&C on Jack's and the other NYPC blends! Highly Recommended!