Back to Old London with Crooked Lane, a rich English blend of Virginias, Latakia, a dose of Oriental, Turkish, a whisper of Perique and a sprinkle of unflavored toasted cavendish.

Blended ByMark Stewart with Chris and Craig Tarler
3.1
butman Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
butman (40)
Mild to Medium Extremely Mild Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Wow, sometimes I am just taken by surprise. This sample was on the counter at Cigar & Tabac, so I gave it a spin. I had been off medium English blends since Dunhill went all squirrely. I am back. This is a terrific blend for afternoon or evening. The flavor is balanced and complex with just the right amount to keep you happy and interested. I can't wait until autumn to try it with Scotch whisky.

plexibass Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
plexibass (4)

Virginia based medium English blend with Latakia, Perique, Turkish and something special...I want to say Toasted Cavendish but .......... I will be ordering POUNDS of this !!!!!!!!!

I was able to sample Crooked Lane a while before it was available to the general public thanks to Mark Stewart, the gentleman who actually created this blend. Mark is also a master pipe crafter. After my 1st bowl, I knew that this was the tobacco that I had been searching for. The flavors are very complex and at different times during the smoke, they sneak up on you. The latakia is VERY SUBTLE and adds almost a steak heartiness to the smoke. After your 1st bowl, you will be a convert. Crooked lane is my mainstay in my cellar.

I dont know what the folks over at C&D do to set themselves so far above the bar with their blends, but I just hope that they keep doing it. I received a generous sample of this from pipe maker & repairer MARK STEWART over at http://www.pipecraft.org. 1st, visually this is a stunning looking tobacco. It looks like it tastes. It smells like it tastes and it tastes like heaven in a bowl! I'll steal this quote from MARK STEWART, but I don't think he will mind: "I have just had the pleasure of smoking 2 of C&D's new "Working Mans Series blends" and cannot overstate how terrific they are. Morning Drive Time is the perfect morning smoke with that initial cup of Coffee or Tea. Lunchtime blues is, without question, a great mid-day pick me up and is the perfect all day smoke. Although I am a great fan of their tobacco, they have really out performed themselves with these 2 blends. Morning Drive for breakfast, Lunchtime Blues for lunch and Crooked Lane for dinner. This is now my daily routine of smoking perfection."

WELL SAID MARK, AND ADVICE WE ALL NEED TO FOLLOW.

TheSmokinDragon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
TheSmokinDragon (56)

One of the best English blends I have smoked...and they don't call me TheSmokinDragon for nothing ;-) If you are a fan of English blends, don't miss this one, order a few tins...some to smoke now/some to cellar

Based on the short number of reviews, people seem to be really in favor of this blend or not with not much in-between. This rough cut tobacco will put me in the latter group. I found Crooked Lane to be fine from a moisture standpoint. It has a little kick, which I like, but I don’t find this to be strong. I think it is a bit “rough around the edges” like a lot of C&D blends. On the positive side, I like the use of the toasted Cavendish. I know I have said this before, but there are so many English blends for today’s pipe smoker to choose from that it really needs to stand out to get my attention, and Crooked Lane IMO doesn’t do that for me as it is just somewhere in the vast middle. I wouldn’t be put off by my comments as I do think that it is worth a try since many people do favor it; maybe you will be one of them.

This is a very good medium English. The Virginias and Orientals lead the way along with the spice of the Perique. The Latakia isn't that far back. I don't find it to be lacking at all. It plays the part it was called upon to play. It first provides a light smokiness to the sweet and spicy notes of the aforementioned components. Later it adds a nice creaminess and depth to the mix. The toasted Cavendish seems to play the role of a binder, holding it all together. This reminds me very much of Comoy's Cask #1 Double English, a blend I also rated at four stars. The flavor profiles are almost identical.

Pipe Used: MM General

Age When Smoked: 1 month

Similar Blends: Comoy's Cask #1 Double English.

King Weed Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
King Weed (23)
Medium to Strong Mild Mild to Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

Well Mr. Big, I'm with you on this one. This tobacco blend was a disappointment for me and it started right away with the opening of the tin. Ribbon cut? I don't think so. I was taken aback at the roughness of the cut of the tin I opened: yes, some ribbon content, but long coarse strands that needed to be pulled apart and very large chunks that unrolled into little flags of tobacco tissue - the largest of which measured one and a half inches wide and two and a half inches long! I also found this tobacco to be quite damp for a C&D blend and needed considerable drying for smokeablity. When I prepped my first smoke by overnight drying, I tore up all of the coarse ribbons and flags for a better consistency. This revealed another aggrevation - many sticks, stems and other woody debris. I emptied-out about a third of the tin for examination and this woodiness and coarse texture was consistent throughout.

The tin aroma, although pleasant, was very mild for an english blend - not at all what I would classify as a medium english. The overall color was a blond to medium light brown with a sparing amount of darker components. The latakia and black cavendish were almost invisible in the mixture, as there was so little of them. I chose to smoke this blend in a pipe that always gave a good and satisfying smoke - an ELX Ashton Pebble in a one-third bent cogniac configuration with a deep and narrow bore. On lightup the light english nature of this blend became evident; more of a virginia/oriental nature than the advertised medium english. I will say that the underlying base tobacco aroma was fairly rich - kind of like the first few drags on an unfiltered Camel cigarette. The remainder of the bowl continued in this fashion to the finish, leaving me wishing that more of the darker components had been included.

Considering the four star and glowing reviews given this blend initially, I was let down by my tin's reality. I have faith in the cognative abilities of my fellow smokers who have reviewed this blend. They were sensing something good and solidly english and they said so. I can't help but wonder if the tin I opened was atypical and subpar, as it seemed so different than what they were describing.

Epilog and Update 11/25/13: Don't be surprised Mr. Big, your one-line review spoke volumes - such is the inherent nature of true succinctness. You weren't happy with this blend and you said so. For my part, I was relieved. I was worried about being the lone dissenter in a stream of four-star reviews. When I saw your review I felt justified in going forward with my two-star review. Thank you.

Now, I always like to have something positive to say on a given subject. I have discovered that C&D Crooked Lane has a wonderful quality that fits right in with one of my pipe smoking joys - microblending. I had stated that there is an underlying richness in this blend, though I thought its english qualities were a bit thin. This richness adds a wonderful note to micro english blends that I delight in making and smoking. I highly recommend its use in blending.

Medium None Detected Mild to Medium Tolerable to Strong

I've got to go against the crowd, I find this bland and strong. It just doesn't bring what I think as flavor, "stoogie".

Updated 11/14/2013 - After a week, I decided to retry this blend and return to this site to see my initial review. I was surprised to find the above comments by "King Weed 11/12/2013" basically agreeing with my very short and non-descriptive review. I have to agree with "King Weed ' in that the cut of this blend is very strange with pieces the size of "corn flakes" mixed in among rubbed flakes. However, my tin did not require drying, which leads me to believe there maybe some inconsistencies. I don't feel this is as strong in "N' as I initially reviewed, I think I was just puffing so hard to get some taste I was growing lightheaded.