Sextant is a classic mixture harmoniously married to a Navy Flake. Ripe Virginia tobaccos are first blended with Cyprian Latakia, fine Orientals, and a touch of dark fired Kentucky leaf, then infused with a hint of dark rum before being gently pressed, matured and sliced. The flavour is rich, bold and satisfying, the aroma an enchanting interweaving of traditions.

BrandG. L. Pease
Taste

moniker Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
moniker (31)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Popping a young tin of Sextant, the proof-y smell of (un-spiced) rum wafts right up, as expected. Next up is something mentioned by Dr. T (below), that I want to address, namely the Liquid Smoke condiment that some affectionately refer to as "barbeque sauce", which I happen to roundly loathe, almost as much as I loathe propylene glycol. Like Dr. T, I also associate both with McClelland, which partly explains why I mostly avoid that marque. Fortunately, as with GLP's JackKnife Plug, the hated "smoke" scent fades with time. Still, I'd rather do without it altogether. The other tobaccos are pretty much "merged" under the dominant scents, but generally there is a "substance" similar to a medium/full English, tempered and "strengthened" by GLP's deep and mildly pungent signature KY. Moisture is typical for a GLP ribbon, with minimal water(!) as a humectant.

Prep in my dry climate is no more than setting some ribbons in the sun to dry, followed by a careful load with as many of the ribbons as possible oriented vertically. Smoked thoughtfully (best with all GLP blends, IMO), Sextant is Lat forward, and overall it is delightfully fragrant, including the rum. Withal, the Orientals quickly begin to spice things up, at which point I automatically adjust my cadence to taste. The VAs come up about 1/3, accompanied by muted but fragrant incense, and this is when it gets really good. I recommend minimal poking rather than tamping, and if you can smoke it all the way down in one shot, so much the better. The aftertaste is delightful, sort of like Margate Plus, with VA sugar, along with the spice and the strong KY tobacco. Like some other reviewers, I also notice and appreciate the "creamy" mouth feel.

For me, this is a fairly "easy" smoke - for a GLP blend - and it is an easy recommendation for lovers of full English blends who are also ready for the "extras" that Sextant packs. Like other GLP blends, there is a rough-and-ready, tobacco-forward quality that is an acquired taste. As for "strength", I would say Sextant is considerably stronger than medium., like many of GLP's blends that include his KY.

IMO, all GLP blends are best smoked with your brain in gear, and Sextant is no different. Also typical of GLP blends, breathing and cellar time are very good to Sextant.

zulujerk Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
zulujerk (134)
Medium to Strong Mild Full Tolerable

This started as an order for Balkan Sobranie. When the notice came that the blend was in stock, I rushed to acquire my share. I usually buy large enough orders to waive the shipping fee, but my two tins wouldn't cut it, so I decided to at least try something new. You really can't go wrong with a Pease blend, and I had recently finished off a tin of Gawith's Navy Flake, so I figured a comparison was in order.

I have to say, that open tin of Balkan Sobranie was very alone for several days while I had my way with Sextant. It took a couple of days to plow through half a tin, and just another to finish it off, I'm sure I set a few personal records. At that halfway mark I was forced to take a day off to recuperate, my tongue nearly destroyed. It was a huge burden, but I made it. The struggle was worth it, as Sextant is my favorite Pease blend since Union Square. It is a sweet, full bodied smoke that can easily satiate one's desire for a nicotine fix.

The note emanating from the tin is pure Rum, rich and intoxicating. I've sampled other Pease blends with alcohol toppings, namely Haddo's, Barbary Coast, and maybe Cairo, if I remember correctly. In my experience the effect burns away at light, or lingers for just a bit, rather than imparting a heavy flavor upon the smoke. Sextant fits that description, it in no way interfered with my smoking. I know there are others with a more sensitive palate, so I will abide by their experiences.

This is the heaviest Pease Latakia mix I can recall, obviously a product of the Kentucky's inclusion. I smoked Sextant at various times before and after a bowl of 965, and I found similar strength profiles. I'm happy to see Greg incorporate Kentucky into the blend as an alternative to Perique, which is also often blended in to build strength. Because I do not have a handy supply of blending Kentucky, it is definitely difficult for me to place the leaf. It would be nice if blending houses made Kentucky available, I'm growing a bit weary of adding Perique to every last blend I smoke. Regardless, I'm thrilled to have my hands on another heavy hitting English like blend, as Nightcap can wear on a person over an extended time frame.

A few weeks ago I finished off a tin of Gawith's Navy Flake. In full flake form, the blend was quite beautiful, as I remember much darker than Sextant. It's a bit lighter, very medium in character, and also quite excellent, but the two are very different smokes. Sextant is notably heavier, and much sweeter, perhaps owing to a higher dose of Rum, but also the choice in Virginias, which play the main part. Sextant seems to push the Latakia and Orientals to the background and yet the mixture feels robust and very well balanced. Gawith blends can arrive water logged, especially those with a topping, and Navy Flake was absolutely soaked upon flipping the tin. Sextant arrives at a perfect moisture, there's never any fuss from packing to lighting and smoking through to the end. The blend showcases Greg's skill in such immaculate presentation.

I'm curious where Sextant will take us...will there be more adventurous blending experiments in the future? Different toppings, more blends with Kentucky, different sorts of cuts? I'd like to put in a request for a Lakeland like blend--a high quality aromatic with traditional British toppings. Russ has been playing this hand, I want to see where it goes.

Having departed from my ship, I'm left with an open tin of the new Balkan Sobranie. It feels so light...and boring. Time to order another ticket to sea.

quantumboy Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
quantumboy (119)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant

This tobacco is definitely not my style. The initial aroma and flavor reminds me of Haddo's which is not a favorite by any means. Yet this is a delicious blend! Earthy, rich, primitive in some ways, it seems to hearken back to a day when real men traveled by sea and land and needed something in their pipe to keep them alert to the dangers.

The Kentucky was the first thing I noticed. In that regard, there are some similarities here to the recent Jackknife and Triple Play blends from the house of Pease. The rum is noticeable in the aroma and the initial light, but thankfully it fades to the background and whatever it adds to the flavor thereafter is good.

It gets richer as it burns, and some complexity starts to peak through the earthiness. Vary the temperature and you'll find some toastiness, some Virginias sweetness, and some smokiness, although the Latakia is lurking far in the background according to my taster.

This is quite different from the rich English blends coming from Pease of late, which, while delicious, seem to be variations on a theme. Sextant is a departure from the formula and I think he nailed it. It ought to age wonderfully, which is why I took the risk and bought several tins out of the gate.

Wibblefishofdoom Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wibblefishofdoom (98)
Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

I had one or two reservations upon ordering this, the description as a rum laced navy flake reminded me a little too much of SG's Navy Flake, an insufferable tobacco that I ended up disposing of about half way through the tin. I quite rightly questioned my desire to purchase this on that basis and can only put it down to my desire to try some Pease tobaccos and this being one of the few in stock when I placed my order online. My subsequent experiences of smoking it, however, are justification enough.

Upon opening the 2oz drum, I was greeted with a strange smell, it was one akin to silage with a sweet whiff to it, so wrong yet somehow strangely and very palatable. The rich dark browns of the flakes did, though, provides a lot of reassurance, they just seemed so right sitting there in the tub. Rubbing is no problem as the flakes just pull apart so easily, making the packing a doddle. Upon light, the flavour hits and it's so nice, less silage, more rum, just as sweet. The flavours from the tobacco nicely raise their head during the smoke, almost as if peeping out through curtains, especially the latakia, giving a delicate complexity to the experience. Throughout the remainder of the tin the flavour has remained pretty much the same, it will be such a shame when I have finished it. The only other thing worthy of note is the strength, it does pack a punch on the nicotine front.

This, then, is an absolute delight to smoke. I really do have a job pacing myself with this as I am finding it hard not to smoke this all the time. Sadly, this is not in stock at the moment with Gauntleys of Nottingham, the only supplier I can get it from in the UK. It's probably just as well as I seem to have found a tobacco that I would be happy to smoke all the time. I can't help crack a smile, though, that a small, relatively new, independent blender can outperform a well established brand like SG on what must be quite a difficult tobacco to blend. Thank you Mr Pease, keep up the good work.

Medium Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

My review of Sextant is based on a rapidly consumed tin from the first distribution about two months ago. If you are not a fan of tobacco with a substantial amount of spirits added to it, you may want to move on right now. Sextant greets the nose with a significant rum smell that didn't drown out the smell of the component tobaccos, but it is dominate. It's a bit too moist right out of the tin and I chose to rub out each bowl rather than leave some of the broken flakes whole. Once rubbed out, the moisture content quickly dissipates. I must admit up front that if I am going to smoke a tobacco with spirits added to it, I want the “Full Monty” if you know what I mean, and Sextant delivers IMHO more than a “hint” of rum. Unlike another reviewer, I found Sextant to be wonderfully sweet and for the first half of the bowl, rum is the dominate flavor, but the component tobaccos are in perfect harmony for my taste. It should make an outstanding blend for cellaring. Sextant offers some complex flavor now so over time it will really shine. I am a fast smoker, a bad habit from my cigar days, and yet I find this blend seems to smoke for a very long time, even when fully rubbed out. I find it works best for me in a small to medium bowl, like a group three. My only complaint with Sextant is that it does seem to become a bit “ashy” to me in the bottom third of the bowl. Is it a big issue for me? No, but it should be pointed out. All in all, this is a great directional turn for Greg Pease and I can't wait to see what a couple of years bring for Sextant! It won't be for everyone, but for my taste it is a great twist on a Navy Flake. Highly Recommended!

NOTE: The rum flavor will decrease quickly after the tin is open for several days and become the "hint" as described.

Former 965 Fan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Former 965 Fan (7)
Medium to Strong Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Sextant is a delightful hedonistic easy smoking tobacco.

Presentation is in soft flakes which are easy to fold in or rubout. It lights easily, burns easily but slowly and is very good tempered - my tongue is a bite magnet but it has not nipped it in one and a half tins (generous 2oz tins not skimpy 50 gram Euro tins).

Sextant settled to its potential over several smokes giving a complex flavour - while not sweet it evoked the lovely dry plums you get in Germany in autumn, the sloes of English hedgerows and some lemon notes contrasting with spicy peppery flavours (possibly peppers, chilli, star anise - I am not well up on spices) mixed with some herby, grassy earthy notes. While it sounds a bit complicated the tastes are very integrated and the effect is very elegant like a fine wine in a great year.

Is the latakia noticeable? No, there are no campfire or creosote notes and, although the effect of latakia is noticeable in coolness, elegance and some toasted notes unless you are clinically allergic to latakia you could enjoy this mixture.

Is it an aromatic? No, the flavours are much more complex than a rum flavoured tobacco. Having said that I have no idea what category it is, if any, but certainly none I have come across - Dunhill had a rum cased English mixture with flake (My Mixture 620) but that was sweet and nothing like as complex - so I suspect only its maker can settle its category.

Warnings? My second tin was more recently manufactured (dated 030912) and needed 4-5 weeks air for the fruit flavours to kick in - it was originally just very spicy savoury even evoking chinese pork. But, like so many fine tobaccos patience was rewarded with a great full smoke.

Will I buy more. Reader, I have and I will unless you clear the shelves first! This is a wonderful, easy smoking, substantial, fun filled but complex mixture that I can not recommend highly or widely enough. Should appeal to those who love traditional flakes, aromatics, semi-aromatics, virginias, VaPrs and all sorts of mixtures (English, Balkan, Baltic) whether as an all day smoke, an evening smoke or a change of pace.

Stan Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Stan (135)
Medium to Strong Medium Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Aye mates, this is a keeper. Tested it in a new, larger Ardor (10 bowls) and in an older, smaller GBD (11 bowls). I think better in a smaller bowl.

A rich, rounded, partially broken flake which becomes fully rubbed by the time you have dug in the tin by half way.

The base is virginia and the other tobaccos are not too noticeable to me due to the rum topping, though you occasionally get a dark note of the latakia or kentucky.

When freshly opened, I felt I noticed more latakia at the outset of a bowl, but it was quickly engulfed in the rum which flavor becomes more prominant as you go on.

My test for this blend was in the keeping character of the rum, which quickly fades in some other blends (Aliester's rum topping was similarly strong at the start but after a few days it faded almost completely -- though that older tin was 15 years old when I smoked it). The first few days Sextant's rum is the dominant flavor, but after smoking the entire tin in 10-11 days, the rum mellows out some (not much) after a few days yet stays with the entire bowl to the end. If you will take more than a week or so to smoke a tin, you'll need to better protect the contents to maintain a solid rum profile. I did nothing special to preserve it but put the top folders back in and lid back on.

Although the base tobaccos make this blend rich overall, it is the rum profile that makes it taste delicious. The base alone would not do it for me (I smoked the remaining scraps after 11 days and it was -- exposed in a pretty much empty can -- rather plain by then). If you don't like rum or liquer flavors in tobacco, this blend is not for you. I didn't know I liked them so much until after a few bowls of this.

I was impressed as this is a full tasting blend (not as heavy as an English) with a tasty rum flavor (Master Please admits it's rum, but if there is something else to help it along, I do not know). The flavor is why I like it and I am not normally an aromatic smoker. A fairly consistent flavor. Not hot or bitey or wet to me, but a full sensory experience. 1 or 2 bowls a day was plenty for me.

This has more flavor, character, and body to me than either MB's or SG's Navy Flake. Of course, this is a deluxe navy flake with a virginia flake and light english mixture pressed and combined.

Highly recommended to the bold virginia smokers. Make it so.

Cotton D. Crossfire Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cotton D. Crossfire (1)
Medium to Strong None Detected Full Very Strong

This is my first foray into reviewing tobacco blends. Also my pipe smoking experience has, for the most part fully involved aromatics. My few experiences with "English" blends or other unflavored blends has been one of unhappy results to say the least. Until now I thought I just did not possess the fortitude or taste to really enjoy a blend like this. How wrong I was.

Let me get started on my review:

This review is based upon only a few bowls of a three month old tin. The tin note was an unexpected treat, I could definitly detect the rum, as well as an earthiness like peat moss(sorry that's what it reminded me of) The colors were muted mostly dark tans and browns with just a few lighter tans intermingled in the flakes. The flakes felt moist, but broke apart easily. I rubbed out a rough ribbonlike pile and filled my Stanwell bent blast. The unlit inhale again provided a definite rumlike taste, as well as a sweet undertone. Charring light realeased a sweet/spicy sensory overload. Full light settled down the spicyness and put the sweetness on a more even keel. There was no bite whatsoever. This was the most pleasant part for me as other blends have sent me scrambling for something to put out the fire. One third of the way through the bowl, the latakia came to the forefront, but not harsh or bitter. There was such a great balance of flavors I forgot that this had rum in it. At this point, I experienced what I have heard others describe as a "creaminess", a thick mouth feel, not sweet or cloying just a pleasant warm smokiness. I didn't taste the rum until near the end, and then as more of an afterthought. This was one of the first blends that I didn't want to end, I have had some that I couldn't wait to get away from, but I kept trying to relight even after there was obviously only ashes left. I was hooked, I kept thinking of this throughout the day and wanted to rush back to it. However, I wanted to make sure that this wasn't a fluke so I tried again the next day in a Benton Select, and again I was rewarded with an excellent smoke.

The third smoke was not as enjoyable, but I blame that on the Canadian I used that had been ghosted by too many aromatics. For me this blend works best in a small to medium diameter bowl. The only drawback is, as others have mentioned, the room note would not be pleasant for non smokers. I am awaiting my next three tins as soon as they have been restocked. I am now a huge fan and will be trying more of Mr. Pease's blends soon

autorotate Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
autorotate (1)
Mild to Medium Mild Full Pleasant

Love this! Especially drawn to the divine mix of smokey latakia and the nutty Kentucky. The modest rum topping lends itself perfectly, adding to the sweet aroma found on the nasal exhale. As others have mentioned earlier, not an aromatic. At mid-bowl, this has my eyes rolling back in their sockets... already excited for the next bowl. Smoked in a GBD Bermuda bulldog bent. Folded and stuffed. Burns perfectly to a white ash. For comparison's sake, my faves, in no particular order: Sextant, C&D Black Frigate, Penzance, Peterson's 3 P's, MacB Old Dark Fired, SG Navy Flake.

Pipe Used: GBD Bermuda Bulldog Bent

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Local B&M

Similar Blends: Black Frigate.

Medium Medium Full Pleasant to Tolerable

When I first opened this, I took a second look at the label, as there was a bit of a McClellend nose from the tin. It blew off after about a week. A blend of some complexity, although the most obvious note in the Latakia. The rum is dark and very present. I would have thought there would be few who could be neutral about this -- a very distinctive blend, stronger on the rum and latakia than, say, SG Navy Flake.

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Complex and very flavorful. A nice English with a touch of rum. A most satisfying smoke.

Darth Vader Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Darth Vader (72)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

I'm not sure why but this reminds me of Penzance but with less orientals. Probably because the flavours all come together and give a somewhat iodine taste. Strange that there is rum in this a it doesnt really taste of rum rather only smell of it. As with Penzance, i couldnt smoke it all day, but when i want it, it is sublime. My money is on this being the blend that Greg is remembered for.

The Logo-Mat Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
The Logo-Mat (7)
Medium to Strong Medium to Strong Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

First review. Although I've only got a month under my belt for pipe smoking, I've made it a point to sample about 20 different (suggested) blends so far & this is by far one of my favorites. Full bodied with a nic. kick. I don't taste any rum but I do like the smokiness of the latakia - reminds me of beef jerky- a very hearty, enjoyable flavor.

JohnnyMcPiperson Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
JohnnyMcPiperson (89)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

This blend took a few smokes to grow on me. It prefers, at least in my opinion, thick walled pipes with a medium sized bowl, in a smaller bowl it gets a bit to sharp and in a larger bowl in my opinion it's just to much smoke, to rich of a blend to be smoking for that long. With that said, once I figured this out, I loved the blend, I'm still smoking it and will probably buy more, this one has become a fast favorite. I love the burley/va interplay overtop of the hint of leathery latakia with that nice hint of rum to top it all off! I don't care for aromatics, and this blend isn't one, the rum complements the existing tobacco flavors very well in my opinion and does not overwhelm anything. The flakes are easy to rub out and pack, virtually falling apart in your fingers!

RMBittner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
RMBittner (66)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

After reading the posted reviews of this new blend so far, I have to throw in my agreement with quantumboy. In short, this is a medium-strength mixture in which burley plays a dominant role, while the latakia and "hint of rum" are in the far-distant background.

I love many of the Pease blends, and I wanted to love this one all the way to four stars. But I don't enjoy the harsh edge that comes with a blend that's medium-to-full in the nicotine department. Sextant is in that category. It won't make you dizzy -- thankfully, there's no perique, and the burley is well balanced with the Virginias -- but there's still enough nicotine to be decidedly noticeable in the smoke.

I was also surprised -- despite what another reviewer has perceived -- that the rum is so much in the background as to be virtually undetectable on its own. Talking of rum and naming it Sextant made me naturally expect a navy flake. But I don't think it really fits that mold; there just isn't enough rum for it to be anything more than a hint, adding a slightly richer flavor than it might otherwise have. (I would have to say the same of the latakia, as well.) That's not a bad thing. It just wasn't what the label description led me to expect.

Sextant is very well-made, and the tobaccos are top-notch. The broken-flake cut is effortless to rub out fully -- something that can't often be said of more traditional navy flakes. It burns beautifully, usually requiring only a match or two for the entire bowl. It is a truly enjoyable and relaxing smoke -- recommended to anyone looking for a change of pace from latakia-focused English blends or straight Virginias; highly recommended if you especially enjoy a more nicotine-centric blend.

Barling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Barling (19)
Medium to Strong Mild to Medium Full Tolerable to Strong

I was one of the privileged few to sample this in early March at our pipe club dinner, where Greg Pease is a member. He brought an unmarked tin of this (approximately 3 weeks before release) for all to try, and by the time he left it was empty. Everyone loved it.

The rum flavor is very muted in this blend, lending a touch of soft sweetness, and complements the Latakia and Kentucky leaf quite nicely. A number of us felt there was Perique present in the mix, which Greg assured us was not. It is likely the Kentucky leaf (at least this is my guess) that gives this a bit of spiciness. This blend produces a very thick and luxurious smoke that does not bite no matter how madly I puff it. It has a generous nicotine kick, and I recommend sitting down for this one. I have cellared a few tins of this, and it is likely to become my after dinner smoke for the time being.

Although I like a lot of different tobaccos, GL Pease blends have become my overall favorites due to their consistent fantastic smoking qualities. Greg's experience as a master blender is very evident in everything he markets. This one is sure to please any lover of English blends.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (68)

As it happens, I am smoking a six year old tin of GL Pease's Sextant, courtesy of my recently restored time machine. It has propelled me into the year 2018 and I am smoking a tin I bought in april 2012. When I first smoked it then, I was pleasantly surprised by the smoothness of this broken flake where VA, Orientals, Kentucky and Latakia are blended in perfect harmony. I can taste a faint anise flavouring so presumably this has been used, as well as a rum topflavour. The story now in 2018 is pretty much the same but all the rum has evaporated and the tobacco is darker and mellower now. I think I will return to 2012 again and finish that tin asap :)

NaughtyDogg Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
NaughtyDogg (3)
Medium Mild Medium Tolerable to Strong

I had high hopes for this blend as I have tried several of Pease's other similar blends and have had overall very pleasant experiences with them. In general, I am a big fan of English blends with a good portion of orientals and I like heavier Latakia blends as well.

Upon opening the tin I was greeted by a smell which was mostly smokey with a subtle hint of floral sweetness in the background. To my nose there did not seem to be any rum smell out of the tin that I noticed. The cut seemed to be a partially broken flake which can easily be rubbed out as desired, which I found very nice.

At first light this blend is quite smokey, in good way I might add. The flavor is rich with nice earthy tones to it. This continues until about halfway through the bowl until the floral sweetness that I smelled in the tin starts to come out. The flavors are quite complex and keep my pallet interested throughout the smoke. The leaves burn to a nice white ash as do all of the fine tobaccos that I have tried from G.L. Pease.

This blend is very satisfying and since the arrival of my first few tins it has seemed to be the first blend I reach for when I want a full, relaxing smoke. I have already ordered several more tins of this blend and expect it to age very nicely. Highly recommended.

Ehrling Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Ehrling (61)
Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

Sextant is basically an Anglicized variation of GLP Navigator adding Latakia and Orientals to Navigator’s component tobaccos along with, perhaps, an extra dash of rum. It is stronger than Navigator and deeper and heavier too. It's actually difficult to identify any heritage link between the two blends--they are that different.

Sextant is dark and dusky and somewhat lacking in sweetness except for the rum. This is a more than decent blend, but I do have a few reservations about it. The combination of smoky Latakia and the smokiness of the dark-fired Kentucky are, at times, just too much "smoke" for me. (And I am not convinced that the Latakia and Kentucky components are completely compatible.) The Virginias and Orientals are blended in such a way that they are capable of displaying their personalities every now and again and they do provide some balance and a little extra interest, but their influences are definitely more subdued, muted and nuanced due to the heavier Latakia and Kentucky ingredients. (I think that I would enjoy this blend more with a little less Latakia.)

Sextant is going to have a greater appeal for those who enjoy heavy Latakia blends. For those who are more inclined toward the light-to-medium English/Balkan blends, the smoky qualities of this blend may test your threshold of tolerance. It's not always pleasurable to be in the company of the "Black Knight" when he's acting like something of a bully.

My tin was only about 4 months old and I believe that it needs a little more time to "mellow out" and become better integrated. In addition, I recommend nothing larger than a medium-sized pipe--in a big pipe the taste can be just too strong.

If I had rated Sextant after my 2nd or 3rd pipe I would have been inclined to award just 2-stars. But it's really a better blend than that--somewhere closer to 3-stars than 2. Though I enjoy it sometimes, Sextant will probably become just a very occasional smoke for me.

NOTE: A clean pipe is always better than a dirty pipe and that is especially true with this blend. It seems to smoke a little "dirtier" than most--keep your pipe cleaners close at hand.

Pipe Used: Medium Meerschaums

Medium to Strong Mild Medium to Full Tolerable to Strong

I really wanted to like this one: I was expecting something like Mephisto (a blend I sorely miss), with the dark and sweet rum note perfectly marrying the Latakia, orientals and the rich sugary (stoved) Virginias.

And for a while, it looked like it could, with a nice thick broken flake cut to boot! Yes, because the tin aroma was lovely, and the tobacco seemed juicy, dark and "greasy".

Alas, my dreams were not fulfilled. I don't like Kentucky too much, especially in association with Latakia. And Kentucky is very much evident upon lighting the bowl...

Mind you, it's a good tobacco. But Mephisto was creamy and not too heavy, while Sextant goes on the nicotine punch side. Sure, I can slowly savour a group 4 bowl without too many hiccups... but I feel close to my personal limit. If you like/tolerate Kentucky, give it a try: it's a sturdier and earthier variation on Mephisto. Me, I'll pass: my rating reflects my personal taste only, not the quality of the blend which is very high.

Medium Medium Medium Tolerable

Chestnut brown broken flake with a hefty tin nose of rum and the underlying latakia and orientals. A small bit of mustiness as well.

This would be a good time to distinguish between a professional tobacco reviewer who knows his stuff (not me) and some guy who smokes a lot of tobaccos and jots down his personal thoughts on how well he likes the blends (me). I struggled mightily with this blend. The idea seemed right up my alley and I've enjoyed other alcohol flavored blends but nothing comes to mind that included latakia. Therein lies the problem for me, I think. I simply did not care for the taste of mixed latakia/orientals with rum. Going back in my mind, I think I drank rum while smoking a latakia blend once upon a time and now I can't recall drinking anything but single malt scotch with those blends.

At any rate, this was a well-behaved blend and seemed to accomplish what GLP set out to accomplish. But I tried drying out the mixture (it came fairly dry in the tin) and everything I could think to do and what occurs to me is that I simply don't like the flavor. The rum was very dominant, even when dried. A little less might have worked better for me. But the idea is an excellent one, and my "somewhat recommended" rating is simply because of my own taste buds. I highly recommend this to those who are curious about the melding of rum and latakia. As for me, I may try this one again sometime but for now I'll have to satisfy my booze-flavored tobacco penchant with Haddo's and my latakia/orientals with Samarra, Blackpoint, Odyssey and several other GLP blends, making sure to keep them separate from one another. :)

cgar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cgar (37)
Medium Mild to Medium Medium to Full Tolerable

Was a little hesitant to go with this smoke because normally I prefer the taste of the more natural blends, but because it was a Pease blend I figured I could try a little different smoke built by a master blender. My take is that this is a medium/strength mixture in which I find burley playing a dominant role, while the latakia and whif of rum are in the far-distant background. Smokes slow, cool, and dry but the roomnote will have you run out of the house. Although it did not convert me to these types mixtures Sextant still has nice qualities if you like this type of weed.

LoneRider Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
LoneRider (9)
Strong Medium Medium Overwhelming

Okay, folks. This is my first review. I've been smoking for 40 years and finally decided to take a crack at reviewing some of the tobaccos I've tried. I'm not as gifted at picking out particulars as many of you are. I plan to give a more general review; how does it small, room note, and is it a pleasant tast or does it make you want to toss it out.

I picked up two small tins of Sextant at the Chicago show this spring. I've smoked many of Greg's blends and overall, I've enjoyed them. Wish I could say the same for Sextant. Upon opening the tin, the aroma is almost nauseating. The taste is relatively mild considering the tobaccos used. I was rather surprised at this. The problem is that there just isn't enough kick to make it memorable. I should add that this was smoked in a large Larryson calabash that had never seen any other tobacco (got that at the show, too). Where this blend really loses out is in the room note. As mentioned, I smoke many strong blends (Odessey, Blue Mountain, Maltese Falcon, Spilman Mixture, etc). My wife is very tolerant. However, this was the first time she told me to put it out or get out (outside that is). After leaving the room and coming back (something I do often to get a good idea of the odor), Had to agree with her. This was noxious to the extreme. I have a bowl or two left in the tin and after I finish that, I will buy no more.

Without a great taste to make up for its other shortcomings, I simply can't recommend this tobacco. Sorry, Greg. Better luck next time.

DavidP Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DavidP (21)
Strong Mild Full Tolerable

I'm almost done with my first 2oz tin so I'll get my thoughts down. To me the flavor overall is of dark fruit and toffee with a wood smoke layering on top. It's pretty complex but the flavors are very well-blended so it's hard to pick them apart with any great detail. I do get the rum but it's very complimentary and not at all cloying. Strong in the nicotine department.

As it's a cut flake it's takes a few charring lights to get going but smokes well from there on out. Right out of the tin it was at a good moisture level for me.

Simenon Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Simenon (11)
Overwhelming Medium to Strong Very Full Strong

Well this is an odd bird. First I immediately wondered why this blend was part of the "Old London Series" since according to Gregory Pease's site, blends for the series rely only

"on the natural flavours and aromas of pure tobaccos, without any added casings, sauces or top dressing"

What?

Well this is clearly not the case as Rum flavour is added to Sextant, as stated in the tin! This is odd. Well, Greg has now changed the definition of the "old london series" on his site, so the problem has been discretely "fixed". Sort of. The era of the internet permits that kind of subtle rewriting which goes pretty much unnoticed and certainly was not explained or announced. Perhaps this review will solely document this "change". Perhaps the series should be called the "Postmodern London series" -- it would be a more accurate name for it, but who would get that?

Speaking of history (or the lack thereof), this blend is supposed to be somewhat related to Mephisto -- at least with respect to the addition of rum. But that's about it. I found nothing else linking the two blends, alas.

Sextant is really atypical. Smoking shows this is a cross between an English and a navy flake. Notable elements are: (1) The presence of Burley. And boy, its there! One gets a powerful nicotine kick from this and the tell tale strong, rough and dry flavour pattern of Burley. It feels like that Kentucky burley that one sometimes find in Pease and C&D blends. It is inordinately strong nicotine wise. (2) The presence of Rum. Rum or any other flavouring usually signifies the blend is not an English one, until now I suppose. Here it is subtle, more so I think than Mephisto.

So it is an original blend. Imagine a navy blend with latakia in it! If it were a song it would be one of those poppy rap song that add bits of classic songs (that would be the Latakia, the english side of the blend) to their own (that would be the burely, the rum), I think it is called sampling. Some like it, I find it odd, unsettling. Taste wise, it is uneven though Greg blends the various elements as well as can be.

If you like blends that are odd, out of the ordinary, give it a try. I you are a traditionalist, you might want to give this a pass. I'll give the tins I had purchased to more adventurous friends.

hubert Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
hubert (3)
Medium Medium Medium Pleasant to Tolerable

I`m not shure if I like the Sextant. Normally I prefer naturally tobaccos or on the other side aromatic tobaccos. I think a tobacco between both genres is very diccult for me. So the first third of the pipe I was a little angry about Greg. I asked me what want he purpose with this tobacco? The added flavor was for me too dominant so I feel the smoke a bit boring and not complex. But than the tobacco turned round. The tobacco, especially the latakia get mor body and the taste brings me essentiell and tarry notes.The combination of the flavor and the latakia tasted me very well. It is an unusal combination but it is a interessting combination. I don`t like it every day but when I smoke it I enjoy this blend. So I think it is not a great tobacco, but it is a nice and very well balanced tobacco for people, who like a latakiablend with a bit sweet flavor. recommended

BigCasino Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
BigCasino (27)
Mild to Medium Very Mild Mild Tolerable to Strong

Tin Aroma is very strong and pungent, and so is the flavor when first opened, jar it up and let it sit for a while and what you end up with is a nice scottish style blend

Pipe Used: La Rocca, Fantasia