The Makhuwa – a good and medium-strong Burley blend. Strong and chocolaty Malawi Burley forms the basis for this blend, mixed with a little Red Virginia, Louisiana Perique and a Virginia/White Burley cube cut. Wonderfully spicy, sweet and slightly nutty nuances in taste are characteristics of the Makhuwa.

The Makhuwa – a robust, nutty and spicy mixture for fans of individuated blends.

BrandHU Tobacco
Strength
Taste

3.7
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The description says this is “a robust, nutty and spicy mixture for fans of individuated blends.” I’m half tempted to leave it at that because it’s true, though I’d say it’s robust in flavor, not in strength. The chocolate flavor is mild, but rich, and well compliments the strong nuttiness of the burleys. I should point out that the chocolate comes naturally from the burleys, though maybe a little has been added. The red Virginia is a minor player, offering a slight tangy sweetness that contrasts well with a sharp note or two from the white burley. The plum and spice from the Louisiana perique is mild, but important for the complexity of the blend. The cut is broken flake and cube, creating an even burn rate. Smooth and medium sweet, it’s creamy from start to finish and leaves no moisture at the end. It’s an all day smoke that will keep you endlessly interested for its taste and variety of flavors, some of which are subtle and some of which stand out in a most pleasing fashion.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (70)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The proprietor of HU-Tobacco, Hans Wiedemann, has recently introduced a new line of tobacco's blended in co-operation with the Italian pipe maker Foundation by Musico. Being the big fan I am of his blends, I ordered them all and this is my review of "the Makhua" Although it is like his other Burley blend, "Nashville County", I find the quality of tobacco's used here much higher. In particular, the very tiny cubes lend this blend some sharpness and a little smokiness: I know because I loaded the last part of my pipe with these cubes to get a measure of their contribution to the blend. Also, this one contains some Perique among the broken flakes that makes up the best part of it. It has a lovely chocolate aroma and I believe that it might have been added as a mild flavouring. The high quality Burley has that earthy, cigar-like quality that all Burley lovers look for in a blend like this one. One robust and tasty tobacco, highly recommened!

Käpt`n Cook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Käpt`n Cook (15)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

The Makhuwa is the new Burley blend of HU Tobacco. I smoked this blend the first time at Lohmar Pipeshow. The Makhuwa is a mix of a ready rubbed virginia flake with malawi burley grades and a virginia/white-burley cube cut. The Makhuwa is a dark brown tobacco and the tin smell is sweet, chocolaty and most of all nutty. The Makhuwa is without added flavors.The Makhuwa burns slowly and without any problems. The taste is like the tin smell,light sweet with wonderfull chocolaty and nutty tones.The smoke is very creamy with a full taste. The taste is typical for a burley blend, but without a cigar note and without earthy tones. It´s a lovely taste without tongue bite and without any sharpness. Only tobacco in best quality. The Makhuwa is not only a blend for the whole day, it is also a blend for a pleasant smoke in the evening. While smoking I remember older days, sitting at a campfire listening the sound of an acustic guitar..... For me, the Makhuwa is a great burley blend and highly recommended

Rubagalline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rubagalline (1)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

First thing: I don't like not to be advised about the artificial aromas. There is artificial chocolate flavour here, there's no doubt in my mind. Burley and Va are great quality though, so I might suggest this to other (non candy) aromatic smokers.

Pipe Used: Briar Poker

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Germany

Pipeliner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeliner (12)

The Makhuwa is an unusual blend of different cut types of the Tobaccos. The blend contains ready rubbed flake, loose cut and a good portion of cube cut tobacco. It looks very interesting. The tin smell is a bit sweet, chocolaty and nutty. The tobacco is easy to pack and burns very well. The Nicotin Level is medium and the taste is very smooth, with a light chocolaty taste. I`m not shure if the flavor is the result of the Burley. But doesn`t matter I don´t know that, because the taste is very interesting and brilliant for me. No tongue bite and no boredom. In my opinion one of the most interesting burley blends.

Nicolas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicolas (1)

While I smoked the first bowl I got the impression that a very mild chocolate flavour was added. I do not think so anymore. It is the burley itself which has this mild chocolate flavour. Besides of chocolate I smell bitter cocoa and a mild nutty flavour. Despite of its chocolaty aroma I would not say that the Makhuva tastes sweet - there is some sweetness - but he is foremost "smoky". I have only smoked eight bowls of it but I allready know that I won't get bored of it. I will order it for me and my friends again.

Cypressandstar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cypressandstar (14)

Makhua remind me to an out of production mix from Synjeco,but I'm not sure about the name,maybe it could be "out of Africa". To say the truth,I cannot do more after the two reviews already written here:it's (once more) a darn good mix from Mr. Wiedermann. I've detected too,a subtle hint of bitter cocoa. I'm not an hughe Perique fan,but here is somewhat subdued. A tasty,smooth and safe blend. Smoked on the dry side,after months on my cellar.