The Makhuwa – a good and medium-strong burley blend. Strong and chocolaty Malawi burley forms the basis for this blend, mixed with a little red Virginia, Louisiana perique and a Virginia/white burley cube cut. Wonderfully spicy, sweet and slightly nutty nuances in taste are characteristics of the Makhuwa.

The Makhuwa – a robust, nutty and spicy mixture for fans of individuated blends.

Notes: (They changed the name of the series from "Foundation by Musicó" to "African Line")

BrandHU Tobacco
Taste
Pleasant, Pleasant to Tolerable

3.8
Medium Very Mild Medium Pleasant

The description says this is “a robust, nutty and spicy mixture for fans of individuated blends.” I’m half tempted to leave it at that because it’s true, though I’d say it’s robust in flavor, not in strength. The chocolate flavor is mild, but rich, and well compliments the strong nuttiness of the burleys. I should point out that much of the chocolate comes naturally from the burleys, as well as from a topping. The red Virginia is a minor player, offering a slight tangy dark fruit and earth that contrasts well with a sharp note or two from the white burley. The plum and spice from the Louisiana perique is mild, but important for the complexity of the blend. The cut is broken flake and cube, creating an even burn rate. Nic-hit is mild to medium. Won't bite or get harsh. Smooth and medium sweet, it’s creamy from start to finish and leaves no moisture at the end. Requires a little more than the average relights. It’s an all day smoke that has a very consistent flavor that will keep you endlessly interested for its taste and variety of flavors, some of which are subtle and some of which stand out in a most pleasing fashion. Has a very pleasant after taste and room note. Not quite an all day smoke.

smoking-rob Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
smoking-rob (76)
Medium Extremely Mild Medium to Full Very Pleasant

The proprietor of HU-Tobacco, Hans Wiedemann, has recently introduced a new line of tobacco's blended in co-operation with the Italian pipe maker Foundation by Musico. Being the big fan I am of his blends, I ordered them all and this is my review of "the Makhua" Although it is like his other Burley blend, "Nashville County", I find the quality of tobacco's used here much higher. In particular, the very tiny cubes lend this blend some sharpness and a little smokiness: I know because I loaded the last part of my pipe with these cubes to get a measure of their contribution to the blend. Also, this one contains some Perique among the broken flakes that makes up the best part of it. It has a lovely chocolate aroma and I believe that it might have been added as a mild flavouring. The high quality Burley has that earthy, cigar-like quality that all Burley lovers look for in a blend like this one. One robust and tasty tobacco, highly recommened!

cakeanddottle Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
cakeanddottle (68)
Medium Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

I love Burley. My biggest regret in pipe smoking is finding Makhuwa when I was already finished building my cellar, because I would have bought about 20 pounds of this if I had found it earlier. I still picked up a few pounds but it will be more a special smoke rather than an every day for me.

Makhuwa is to Burley blends what the great Va blends and VaPers are to their genre. This is truly a next level smoke. Not just another Burley. The Burley profile is more delicate than C&D and OTC, and has some cocoa to it. The Perique is present throughout and adds plenty of spice and fruit but little to no pepper. I get a sense of the Va as a condiment. I can't comment on the strength because I use snus so no pipe tobacco strikes me as strong outside the ropes and Tambo.

In a nutshell, this blend strikes me as a gourmet version of Haunted Bookshop. There are no rough edges. It is perfectly balanced and totally refined. Burley lovers who get their hands on this are in for a special treat. It is quite unlike any of the other Burleys you'll come across during your exploration of the genre. I think it's absolutely brilliant and it's one of my top five all time tobaccos.

Similar Blends: OJK, Haunted Bookshop.

Wilhelm Joharsányi Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Wilhelm Joharsányi (32)
Medium to Strong Very Mild Full Tolerable

A top notch blend: Robust, flavorful, grassy and deeply satisfying at all times. My 100 g tin won’t last another week, as I have been smoking this thing non-stop while watching the television show: “The Terror”: An excellent, 19th century show about the Royal Navy trapped in the Arctic, threatened by an unseen, cosmic horror that seeks to engulf them all (think Master and Commander meets Lovecraftian Horror). And yes, the Captain and officers (The guys that play Caesar and Brutus in Rome) all smoke Churchwarden pipes throughout, which proves you can still enjoy a good pipe despite existential dread and impending doom.

Makhuwa is one of those blends, when you smoke deeply and inhale just a little bit; it hits you straight between the eyes: making you sink slowly into your chair, becoming a little light-headed, and making you pause for a few moments without a single care in the world. What I just described there, is my definition of a world-class, superior tobacco blend (or just one with a lot of nicotine). If a blend doesn’t alter your state of being and mood a bit, then it is not a blend worth smoking. It is the perfect blend for reflection, meditation, reading a good book, or escaping impending death from sinister Eldritch monsters from the icy north.

I am not a fan of toppings and flavoring, but it is so light that I hardly noticed it. It is not a particularity sweet and reminds me a lot like Cornell and Diehl’s “Kajun Kake”, which is one of my favorite blends. It has a deep, rich taste with slight fruit, chocolate, and grassy overtones. The Perique adds some spice, but it is really the Burley that takes center stage. I always drink this with black coffee and it is the perfect combination. Not an all day smoke, more like a morning and afternoon smoke, since I usually smoke it first thing in the morning with coffee and one after my lunch break, usually followed by a 'Nightcap' type blend before bed. Burns fairly hot, so smoke it with a thicker bowl and longer pipe to avoid overheating. Has a decent room note, not particularly pleasant but certainly not disagreeable.

After Kajun Kake and Makhuwa, I realized I cannot smoke VaPer’s anymore without a heavy dose of Burley mixed into it, since it really makes the difference when it comes to depth and overall taste. I’m adding this to my all-time favorites, and just ordered 300 g more of this blend. Makhuwa is my favorite HU-Tobacco to date, even more so than Director’s Cut and Old Fredder. I would definitely recommend picking some up, but wait until I order some more first, since I don’t want it selling out anytime soon.

Similar Blends: Cornell and Diehl- Kajun Kake.

DenizBeck Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
DenizBeck (257)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Burley-heavy blends are rather rare in Germany... as a Burley-Aficionado I was pleased to see that HU has some in their sortiment. And.. oh my... these are some solid-ass tobacco blends!

Ready rubbed flake parts, chunky cube-cut dices - the tobacco looks delicious and the tin-note is even more delicious. Chocolaty (think dark chocolate and raw cocoa), some sour undertones, not much sweetness and some earthy character.

I have the feeling this blend has some mild chocolate-flavouring to it, but it's so well done, it harmonizes excellently with the tobaccos. The Burleys are the stars in this blend. Lots of earth, chocolate and cocoa, with some tart character to it. Red Virginias and Perique may be responsible for the slightly sour and fruity undertone, that makes this blend interesting and adds depth. Only little sweetness, rather tart and spicy aroma - I love it!

This is some first-class herb by Hans Wiedemann! Being the huge Motzek Fan that I am, I'd say HU-Tobaccos are on par with the Motzek tobaccos and the two complement eachother with their oppositional sortiments of blends -at least for me! 4-star and favorite for an outstandingly good Burley blend!

Pipe Used: Clays, Cobs, Briars

Käpt`n Cook Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Käpt`n Cook (17)
Medium to Strong None Detected Medium to Full Pleasant

The Makhuwa is the new Burley blend of HU Tobacco. I smoked this blend the first time at Lohmar Pipeshow. The Makhuwa is a mix of a ready rubbed virginia flake with malawi burley grades and a virginia/white-burley cube cut. The Makhuwa is a dark brown tobacco and the tin smell is sweet, chocolaty and most of all nutty. The Makhuwa is without added flavors.The Makhuwa burns slowly and without any problems. The taste is like the tin smell,light sweet with wonderfull chocolaty and nutty tones.The smoke is very creamy with a full taste. The taste is typical for a burley blend, but without a cigar note and without earthy tones. It´s a lovely taste without tongue bite and without any sharpness. Only tobacco in best quality. The Makhuwa is not only a blend for the whole day, it is also a blend for a pleasant smoke in the evening. While smoking I remember older days, sitting at a campfire listening the sound of an acustic guitar..... For me, the Makhuwa is a great burley blend and highly recommended

Burleyblues Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Burleyblues (2)
Medium Very Mild Medium to Full Pleasant to Tolerable

Upon opening the tin we get a pleasant deep peppery smell of Burley and Virginia tobaccos with a delicate chocolate aroma. The blend is made of ready-rubbed flakes of Burley with a little red Virginias and Perique. Virginia/White Burley cubes have been added to the mixture. It packs, lights and burns easily. No bite. The smoke is full, creamy, smooth and nutty with slight nuances of chocolate. The burleys are first class. The little touch of red Virginias and Perique brings some complexity, depth and spiciness. The smoke is consistant from start to finish. I would not consider this blend as an aromatic. With its brother "Nashville County" from HU, Makhuwa is one of the best burley blends available.

Pipe Used: Non-filter pipes

Skando Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Skando (182)
Medium to Strong Extremely Mild Medium to Full Tolerable

in my opinion, this blend is an evolution of the Nashville County.

Perique adds a mushroom-y dimension to a very solid base of creamy Burley and mature Virginia. Nutty, chocolate-y, musty tones. A little peppery, too. Very intriguing indeed. Strenght is above the medium mark, but never overpowering. Body is completely satisfying, just a wee too full for an all day use. Smokes cool all the way.

Maybe this is helped a little by some cocoa flavouring, or maybe it's its own.

Nice smoke indeed, but I do prefer the basic idea.

Pipe Used: various briars

Age When Smoked: 2 years old

Purchased From: received as a gift

Similar Blends: Nashville County (HU), HH Acadian Perique (MacB).

Rubagalline Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Rubagalline (6)
Mild Mild to Medium Medium to Full Pleasant

First thing: I don't like not to be advised about the artificial aromas. There is artificial chocolate flavour here, there's no doubt in my mind. Burley and Va are great quality though, so I might suggest this to other (non candy) aromatic smokers.

Pipe Used: Briar Poker

Age When Smoked: 1 year

Purchased From: Germany

Pipeliner Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Pipeliner (13)

The Makhuwa is an unusual blend of different cut types of the Tobaccos. The blend contains ready rubbed flake, loose cut and a good portion of cube cut tobacco. It looks very interesting. The tin smell is a bit sweet, chocolaty and nutty. The tobacco is easy to pack and burns very well. The Nicotin Level is medium and the taste is very smooth, with a light chocolaty taste. I`m not shure if the flavor is the result of the Burley. But doesn`t matter I don´t know that, because the taste is very interesting and brilliant for me. No tongue bite and no boredom. In my opinion one of the most interesting burley blends.

Nicolas Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Nicolas (1)

While I smoked the first bowl I got the impression that a very mild chocolate flavour was added. I do not think so anymore. It is the burley itself which has this mild chocolate flavour. Besides of chocolate I smell bitter cocoa and a mild nutty flavour. Despite of its chocolaty aroma I would not say that the Makhuva tastes sweet - there is some sweetness - but he is foremost "smoky". I have only smoked eight bowls of it but I allready know that I won't get bored of it. I will order it for me and my friends again.

Cypressandstar Reviewed By DateRating StrengthFlavoringTasteRoom Note
Cypressandstar (14)

Makhua remind me to an out of production mix from Synjeco,but I'm not sure about the name,maybe it could be "out of Africa". To say the truth,I cannot do more after the two reviews already written here:it's (once more) a darn good mix from Mr. Wiedermann. I've detected too,a subtle hint of bitter cocoa. I'm not an hughe Perique fan,but here is somewhat subdued. A tasty,smooth and safe blend. Smoked on the dry side,after months on my cellar.